[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 260x341, modern particle physics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7927255 No.7927255 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, how do you properly take notes out of a textbook?

I am studying for my subatomic physics course right now - I have an exam on Wednesday and I haven't done any of the homework (it was optional) or gone to lectures yet. Our texts are Griffiths and Thomson.

I've taken a course in special relativity and quantum mechanics, as well as a PDE course, so I am confident I can make it though the material before the midterm.

But I know I am taking notes inefficiently. I can't escape the thought that everything is important, because why else would these authors include it? Obviously I should write down equations, and of course doing problem sets is the true key to learning, but how do you guys take notes/how would you approach this?

>> No.7927260

go through the homework questions

learn how to do them

google solutions if they weren't uploaded by your prof

learn why those solutions were put in place

that will land you at least 40% on the exam

the last 60% is pure luck at this point.

>> No.7927262

>>7927260
I should also note: the exam is open book, open note.

I can't just tackle the homework though, or can I? Should I look at the homework and build up my understanding based off of that, and the hell with notes out of the book?

>> No.7927686

>>7927255
>or gone to lectures yet

What the fuck are you even going to college for?

>> No.7927781

>>7927686
I've been spending a bit too much time in my lab :/ it's easy to stay there until late at night then skip a 9am class the next day.

>> No.7929486
File: 87 KB, 600x600, absolutely degenerate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7927781
>9am
>early