[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 63 KB, 647x344, lftrLayout.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7907651 No.7907651 [Reply] [Original]

OK very short.

L.F.T.R. fission reactor(s) providing energy to initiate, sustain and contain a prolonged nuclear fusion reaction.

This is a very brief summary of the idea I'm just looking for any feedback at all really.

>> No.7907696

France is building a conventional light water uranium reactor at ITER.

>> No.7908598

>>7907651
I made a thread about this 3 days ago,you might want to read

>>7893666

ok now my opinion (Which has been discussed in that thread):

Long term target for energy generation should be focused on fusion reactors.with all the resource we have,we should be able to be supported by nuclear fission electricity independent of fossil fuel while developing more conventional ways to extract energy from fusion.

The current state of nuclear power is in it's infancy so big energy companies will not be investing everything into developing better nuclear reactors so all we do really is just wait for some energy plan that makes nuclear reactor cheaper.

If you know steam engines,you know nuclear reactors and that's pretty sad seeing how nuclear rocket propulsion is so advance (well,as advanced as it could ever be) yet none of that technology is in even minor practice.

speaking of nuclear rocket propulsion,is thorium a feasible proton donor for anything?Well,protium to give a specific name,but isn't that dangerous like creating deuterium (or even like Hidrogen 3 which I forgot the name of) and stuff,possible hidrogen explosion perhaps,I really,honestly don't know,my opinion on nuclear propulsion is that it would be a cool proof of concept unconventional way of extracting nuclear energy.

anyways,this is a key website you should look into for more info on LFTRs

http://energyfromthorium.com/

>> No.7908652

>>7908598
I think the reverse(fusion as source of neutron to improve fission efficiency and safety) is a more achievable and particle goal at this point of time.

And I like piratical and easy(ier) things more than some ideal, yet hard to achieve goal of the far future.

>> No.7909727

That motherfucker uses fluorine gas? No wonder we aren't building them!

>> No.7910023

seems kind of wasteful, why not just get energy from the LFTR directly?

>>7909727
fluorine sucks but there's lots of ways to safely keep it

>> No.7910034

>>7909727
>>7910023
I've heard that one of engineering hurdles involved is the corrosiveness of the liquid fluorine. In particular, containment vessels are expensive and you don't want to need to replace them often. I haven't made of study of the technology though so don't take my word on it.

>> No.7910038

>>7910034
>liquid fluorine
There's my ignorance showing. I meant fluorine salts.

>> No.7910074

>>7910034
>>7910038
depends on the target temperature, lower temp designs can use all manner of ant-corrosive compounds to line the fuel salt loop. The ideal higher temp two-fluid design needs Hastelloy-N, which is spendy and hard to work with but you really don't need much of it

>> No.7910275

>>7910074
this will be handy
http://www.gizmag.com/carbon-nanotubes-radiation-protection/42148/
since the neutron flux will be really high