[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 442 KB, 1920x1200, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7907067 No.7907067 [Reply] [Original]

>experiment with multi billion dollar detectors
>failure is not an option
>you can't repeat the experiments unless you have a billion bucks lying around
>anything they detect is just statistics so you don't even know if its real or not

>> No.7907100

>>7907067
>we can safely assume that there is a 99.99946743% chance that this experiment was a success
Yes its a meme

>> No.7907122
File: 783 KB, 1104x1018, CMS_Higgs-event.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

L-look guys, it's the Higgs! C-can't you see?

>> No.7907246

>>7907067
dumb apeposter

>> No.7907294

>>7907067
I think the real trolling starts when they build really big particle bombs, or worse, they discover a global particle acceleration trend and install a universal particle emission tax. Same thing with the Manhattan Project, nobody had access to huge piles of enriched uranium yet great things came from it.

>> No.7907378

>>7907122
yes it exists.

>> No.7907694

>failure is not an option

What is meant by "failure"? The practical inoperability of the LHC? The vindication or not of certain experiments?

If the former, the LHC has already seen large setbacks, like in 2009 when a magnet quench suspended operations for the entire year. One could perhaps draft a conspiratorial retort that this accident was legitimate and that during it's fixing, the non-feasability of the machine due to it's complication and size became evident; and then the subsequent data was faked. However, faked data seems far-fetched simply given the scope of the project and the sheer number of scientists working on the LHC. However, if the actual initial raw data collection is controlled by surprisingly few scientists, and they are able to control the operations to an unusually large extent, a real conspiracy in the small core group could result in a large scale "conspiracy" by dint of the involved scientists on lower tiers of data analysis. Probably not, but I'm just throwing ideas around, and I don't think people on /sci/ know enough facts about the LHC to falsify or verify any such conspiracy claims.

If the latter, then I don't know. The Higgs boson has been declared to be vindicated by the data, while apparently many popular forms of supersymmetry have been falsified. The LHC has been mostly silent on extra dimensions, dark matter, GUTs, the hierarchy problem. To be fair, the Higgs was probably considered to be the most important of these in order for a sort of "completion" of the standard model to happen, whereas the others are conjectures.

Agreed. I would like to see multiple countries verify the results of the LHC collision, particularly countries isolated from the western world to some extent. China springs to mind.

>anything they detect is just statistics so you don't even know if its real or not

This point is silly for very obvious reasons.

>> No.7908031

>>7907067
>ignorant of repeatability
no banana for you, Koko

>> No.7909152

>>7907067
but they literally do repeat it, trillions of times.
basically any experiment ever,and this one is orders of magnitude better then most .

>> No.7909366
File: 215 KB, 640x464, 1454526129721.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7908031

> In addition to external moderation

turbo-kek

>> No.7909372

>>7907067
>Is particle physics the biggest troll of the 21st century?
2/10. Made me answer.

>> No.7911194

>>7907067

Why is statistics less "real" than non-statistical representations? Does raw data make you anxious?

>> No.7911216

>>7911194
Because you're talking to a troll, you moron. They're not obligated to make sense and don't have to draw their opinions from reasoning, evidence, intuition, or even their beliefs. They choose them based solely on what will get people baffled or frustrated enough to respond in this particular thread.