[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 34 KB, 640x480, 1440354604444.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7743184 No.7743184 [Reply] [Original]

What is the difference between CE and CS?

>> No.7743189

Essentially, CE designs the hardware that runs computers (i.e. hard drive, ram, etc.) CS designs the software and programs to run on said hardware. Just a basic overview. First post on 4chan also, go anons

>> No.7743190

CS: software
CE: hardware

>> No.7743194

>>7743190
What's software engineering and how's it's different

>> No.7743196

>>7743184
The main difference: If you study CE I'd actually respect you.

Other more 'practical' differences:
CE will also know their way around computer architecture and can actually apply to grad programs to specialize in making processors and shit.

CE will do less theoretical computer science but honestly not many CS jobs need intense knowledge of theoretical CS (even though it is the best CS).

In the end you will have a broader range of job prospects. You can do any job a CS graduate can do plus various hardware related jobs that no CS grad could ever do.

>> No.7743198

>>7743189
>>7743190
OP here

It's good to know that all my colleagues are retarded and mix them up.

>>7743196
Thanks m8

>> No.7743201

>>7743196
Don't flatter yourself, CE major

>> No.7743208

>>7743184
Chemical Engineering is very different from Computer Science anon. You might need to be a brain surgeon to figure it out though.

> :^)

>> No.7743214

>>7743201
Mathematics major*

What I am saying comes from someone interested in specializing in theoretical computer science and from working internships in software companies I've lost all respect for CS students.

CE guys are a-ok.

>> No.7743218

>>7743208
Geez pal, I guess messed up again ;^)

>> No.7743223

>>7743214
My institute allows me to study another career once I reach my fourth semester and I'm applying for Mathematics to help me with AI research.

>> No.7743229

>>7743194
There is no difference. CS = Software Engineering.

>>7743196
>You can do any job a CS graduate can do
No, you can't. CE will at best be able to handle IT related jobs, because at most they will have experience with a single language. However, as a CS I can take a few hours just to read over the syntax of any language and program right away. CE won't be able to do this, for lack of exposure to other languages during their education.

>> No.7743235

>>7743223
I'm not a big fan of double majoring but that is fine.

>>7743229
A lot of software jobs are taken even by people without degree. The 'higher level' software jobs just expect you to have a related higher education. You can expect to see CE grads in any software job you do. Some may even work exclusively on software.

>> No.7743236

>>7743214
Doubt it. Have a merry christmas.

>> No.7743238

>>7743229
I think CS has a bit more, since I have a whole course on SE in CE.

>> No.7743247

>>7743235
I'm a bit unclear about it. If I can learn on my own then I'd consider to not do it. What's the complete curriculum of courses for math mayor? (Excuse my english, I'm not very fond of the terminology)

>> No.7743250

>>7743229
>software engineer is computer science
>computer engineer is computer engineer

But I thought I was a scientists?

>> No.7743257

>>7743235
>A lot of software jobs are taken even by people without degree.
Only for web development/code monkey jobs.

>The 'higher level' software jobs just expect you to have a related higher education.
Related are code monkey jobs, but you are competing with someone who specializes in software. Unless you have the CS minor or have stepped your game-up outside of school CS will beat you at software. Higher level are for M.S./Ph.D.

>You can expect to see CE grads in any software job you do. Some may even work exclusively on software.
This is true.

>>7743247
You can learn anything on your own.

>>7743250
software engineer is not a major, if it is you are at a meme college.

>> No.7743281

>>7743247
My degree is not like I've seen in the US where you see Pure math and applied math. My degree is in general math that covers both pure and applied mathematics.

But to sum it up
1st year: Calculus, geometry, writing and general math topics like matrix algebra.

2nd year: Probability, statistics, more calculus, differential equations. general physics, linear algebra, programming.

3rd year: Programming, analysis, probability, statistics, abstract algebra, complex analysis, general topology, research methods.

4th year: Abstract algebra, linear programming, logic, research methods, geometry, simulations.

As you can see, some of it covers practical programming (I've listed only mandatory classes so those programming classes are not electives). With that and all the advanced math you go will make you a decent software developer.

Talking again about my experience as an intern, employers seem to prefer to know that you are good at mathematics (algebra, geometry and logic specifically) than to see that you know 10 programming languages and memorized how to implement merge sort.

>> No.7743290

>>7743196
>>7743214
Why no respect for CS majors

>> No.7743298

>>7743290
they get paid more and promoted faster :^)

>> No.7743300
File: 141 KB, 800x600, 1420718433090.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743290
Let me illustrate with one of my favorite pics from my /g/ folder.

The true story was hilarious and I was the first guy to post in his thread, obviously mocking the guy. Unfortunately I don't know if the entire thing was archived.

But in general CS majors have really low tier math and logic skills for college students.

>> No.7743329

>>7743281
it's laughable that courses titled "programming" would even compare to OOP or OS. A math degree can prove you have potential to succeed at the job, but why not just study CS with math electives? You would be more fluent by the time you are exposed to industry / corporate practices

>> No.7743336

>>7743329
I already knew 5 programming languages coming out of high school. With 4/5 of them being only OOP or having OOP capabilities.

I was not going to spend my first two years in uni taking 'Intro to Java' and 'Intro to algorithms' shit.

>> No.7743340

>>7743336
so you knew to write a hello world program in 5 languages? It takes long to really master a language anon.

>> No.7743344

>>7743336
First year of uni is intro to everything.

Measuring competency by number of languages isnt great either. Design patterns, frameworks, test suites, compilers, optimizations based on target architecture, etc.

What were the 5?

>> No.7743346

>>7743300
>that picture
idk how it is in america, but down here 4/5 of my cs-grad friends got good jobs in less than a year after finishing university

the other one is doing freelance website stuff

>> No.7743352

>>7743196
Ok, than what is the difference between CE and EE?
I got my undergraduate degree from a country with no "majors" as you know them, and I'm still trying to figure out the closest one.
I'm now in a grad program in the US "to specialize in making processors and shit", but it's called EE.

>> No.7743355

>>7743196
>broader range of job prospects
You clearly have no fucking clue what your talking about. I bet you believe in the Math major 300k starting meme.

>> No.7743365

>>7743329
You can learn that shit in 2 weeks by yourself.
I'm a selfhating cs major who wish was doing math

>> No.7743374

>>7743365
That's true. I never understood what is so difficult about OOP and design patterns. I think it's CS meme to make them feel smarter than they are, and to throw buzzwords around.

>> No.7743380

>>7743300
import sys
size = 9
a = 0
b = size - 1

for i in range(size):
for j in range(size):
if j == a or j == b:
sys.stdout.write("*")
else:
sys.stdout.write(" ")
a = a + 1
b = b - 1
print("");

>> No.7743384

>>7743190
That's an oversimplification. CEs aren't just hardware. When a computer scientist types printf("Hello World") there's a huge layer of firmware turning this into pixels on a monitor that can't be coded by someone who doesn't understand electronic hardware. Most CEs work in that area.

>> No.7743389

>>7743194
99% of people who call themselves software engineers don't have engineering or computer science degrees. There are a handful of university engineering departments with software engineering programs, but almost everyone who calls themselves that just did some tech school or community college programming courses and abuses the word engineer like how janitors call themselves sanitation engineers.

>> No.7743399

>>7743352
CE and EE are usually the same courses for the first two years of undergrad then separates into the special skills of each discipline. EEs get much more analog electronics and power systems. They can design things like an electrical grid substation and a PC's PSU. CEs get much more digital electronics and firmware. They can design/program the microcontrollers and digital electronics that go into an mp3-player,thermostat, router, etc.

>> No.7743425

>>7743399
Oh, then my undergrad is CE after all. Thanks.

Still, we had 2-3 programming courses, a database course, OS, OOP, networks etc.
CS majors here had more math, stuff like graph theory and game theory, but a lot less physics, no physics labs, no chemistry.

>> No.7743457
File: 275 KB, 322x586, 1450765182516.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743229
>CS = Software Engineering.
Lol maybe in whatever shitty school you go to. Top tier schools don't teach "software engineering" or "neckbeard game programming". They teach CS.

>because at most they will have experience with a single language. However, as a CS I can take a few hours just to read over the syntax of any language and program right away. CE won't be able to do this, for lack of exposure to other languages during their education.
>muh degree is about learning programming languages, not the theoretical aspects of computation and algorithms

This is why even the math majors at my uni can outprogram typical "CS" majors. Even though they only implement the solution in one language, they beat the retard code monkeys who boast knowing 10 languages but are too fucking retarded to figure out the algorithm to actually solve the problem.

>> No.7743461

Ight my school has 3 CS degrees
CS:CS .. redundant.. anyways.. this degree mostly focuses around learning OS internals (linux kernal, processes, threads, memory handling etc), how hardware componets work. CPU, RAM, adders, multiplexers etc. With a large focus on systems and networks. Lots of writing server client stuff in C.
CS:Software Engineering. Lotsa Java and other higher level languages. Plenty of graphics, application design (droid and iOS).
CS:Cyber.. systems and networks, vulnerabilities, how to harden servers and client machines, heavy focus on linux. They also cover many of the protocols in use (TLS, https, etc etc etc).

>> No.7743463

Computer Engineers are the ones who build whatever is needed so "Computer" "Scientists" get to be the code monkeys who get proud because of their 400k-line program they made.

>> No.7743465
File: 14 KB, 716x347, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743184

>> No.7743468

>>7743457
Australian here. At my uni, "Software engineering" is a major for CS.

>> No.7743496

>>7743184

CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm class
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Linear Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others

>> No.7743590

>>7743281
OP here. That's funny, it looks almost like my plan, except that we don't get geometry, matrix algebra, complex analysis or topology. We do get advanced maths, discrete maths and algorithm analysis.

>> No.7743598

>>7743465
I really really really like this image.

>> No.7743623

>>7743496
Looks a lot like the one on my university:

>CE
>1st Year
- Ethics of an engineer (you have to understand this is an ethics-free country).
- Writing and shit (again, very few people have good writing skills and a sense of work presentation and they have to teach it here because high schools are laughable).
- General physics.
- Algorithms and prpgramming.
- Discrete math.
- Calculus (one course of theory, the other one for applied calculus).
- Differential equations.
- Linear algebra.
- Vector analysis.
- Data structures.
- Circuit Analysis.

>2nd year
- Advanced maths.
- Computer networks.
- Economics.
- Digital design (Fundamental and circuits)
- Computational theory.
- Probability and statistics.
- OS.
- DB.
- OOP.
- OOP design analysis.
- Web technologies.
- Financial administration.

>3rd year
- Communications and signals Theory.
- 4 optatives (I don't remember the courses you can pick but I think there's a few for AI, all of them in english).
- Network communication applications.
- Quantitative methods.
- Computer architecture.
- Introduction to microcontrollers.
- Compilers.
- Instrumentation.
- Project administration.
- Software engineering (what I was talking about before).

>4th and ½ year
- Distributed systems development.
- Network services administration.
- Business management.
- Elective (you can join clubs since year 1 to complete this one, it ranges a lot; music, arts, taekwondo, theatre club, improvisation theatre, an algorithm club, etc. I also want to propose an AI club to the school, not so hard to open since students have the right to do so but I want it to have official status so I can get muh elective points).
- Leadership and professional development.
- Final Work I and II.

I like it so far, but the first year is a bitch but a great filter for those who are not worthy.

>> No.7743627

>>7743184
CE is Civil Engineering and CS is Computer Science, which is neither Civil Engineering, or engineering at all.

>> No.7743652

>>7743300
>But in general CS majors have really low tier math and logic skills for college students.

Who cares? That is what Calculators, PCs, and Software is for. You don't ask an engineer to hammer up some I-Beams in his forge every time you want something built do you? No. You let him stand proudly on the backs of everyone else in history that brought all the technology and knowledge to the point where he can easily use it. You're paying for the knowledge of what Lego parts will fit together in today's world, not the actual manufacturing of the Lego parts.

For the jobs in fields where people are making new technology from scratch, well that is extremely few and far between. Nothing at all CS majors should ever concern themselves with.

Most degrees are absolutely worthless from a technical standpoint in the modern world. They just look great on your wall or in your portfolio and in social situations. Real learning begins on your own.

>> No.7743667

>>7743380

size = int(raw_input("len of string? "))
left = 0
right = size-1
line_str = " " * size
line = []

for i in range(size):
line = list(line_str)
line[left] = "*"
line[right] = "*"
print(''.join(line))
left += 1
right -= 1

>> No.7743897

>>7743399
>hey can design/program the microcontrollers and digital electronics that go into an mp3-player,thermostat, router, etc.

EE can do the same (I can do all that stuff), why CE don't want to admit they are software fags they know a shit about electronics.

>> No.7743903

>>7743465
Switch CS and CE and this is pretty much right.

>> No.7743920

>>7743184
CE makes you take more classes you will never apply

>> No.7743946

>>7743384
CE is also a very challenging major. Prepare for a grueling four years.
CS varies depending on your school. There's a CS program at my town's uni, and they've got students doing fucking MIT-level shit over there.

>> No.7743949

>>7743903
>CS knowing anything about EE
Nice meme. CS students don't even know what voltage or current is.

>> No.7743953

>>7743920
>CE makes you take more classes you will never apply

Let me guess, you wound up as a IT drone. Sucks to be you, LOL.

>> No.7743956

>>7743953
This is the fate of all CE majors. That's why they are so butthurt in general.

>> No.7744010

CE is a meme career, all they know is java, they don't design nothing must of them can't understand the difference beetween a uC and a FPGA.

>> No.7744168

-> do CS

get a job in silicon valey >$100k

Get PhD in CS

get a job as a researcher in silicon valey, hedge fund or investment bank >$500k

Cry more CE faggets, you'll either end up doing what the weak CS or the weak EE graduates do

>> No.7744173

>>7743196
>>You can do any job a CS graduate can do plus various hardware related jobs that no CS grad could ever do.

Wrong. In a CE degree, you spend little to no time learning about algorithmic complexity, the theory of computation, nor could you apply yourself in any of the fields which rely heavily on CS theory, such as AI, natural language processing, machine learning, big data, etc.

Sure you could make software for a living with a degree in CE, but you don't even need a degree in CS to do that.

>> No.7744275

>>7743380
(let ((size 9))
(loop for i from 1 to size do
(loop for j from size downto 1 do
(format t "~a" (if (or (= i j) (= (+ (- size i) 1) j)) "*" " "))) (format t "~%")))

>> No.7744291

>>7744275
(let ((size (read)))
(loop for i from 1 to size do
(loop for j from size downto 1 do
(format t "~a" (if (or (= i j) (= (+ (- size i) 1) j)) "*" " "))) (format t "~%")))

Now it works for any number anon.

>> No.7744301

>>7744173
Really? Where I go, CS and CE majors take the same data structures and algorithms courses, and have the same cross listed courses in all those areas you mentioned. They also have the same mean graduating salary.

>> No.7744340

>tryhard lispers
>on MY /sci/

ldiag = diag(repmat(42, [input('Enter number: ') 1]));
rdiag = fliplr(ldiag);
disp(char(max(32, max(ldiag, rdiag))));

this is matlab territory, boys

>> No.7744351

>>7744340
>depending on a language to do a basic skill

>> No.7744369

>>7744351
lmao when lisp can solve a problem more concisely than other languages you queers circlejerk over "muh sexprs muh macros" but when other languages do it better than lisp it's "depending on a language"

>> No.7744374

>>7743189
Welcome anon.

>> No.7744548

>>7744369
I'm aware, and I'm a lisp user, but he's pretending that Matlab is somehow superior.

>> No.7744561

>>7744548
in this case and many others it is

>> No.7744617
File: 168 KB, 1080x935, Screenshot_2015-12-25-23-35-10~01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

According to the ACM Computing Curricula 2005, this is CE...

>> No.7744620
File: 167 KB, 1080x917, Screenshot_2015-12-25-23-35-24~01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7744617
And this is CS

>> No.7744664

>>7744561
In all levels it depends on what you are doing. There's a lisp for almost everything though.

>> No.7745144

>>7743194
Software engineering deals with enterprise codemonkey bullshit like planning, design, teamwork, logistics, etc.

>> No.7745202
File: 185 KB, 1080x908, Screenshot_2015-12-26-09-12-51~01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7744620
And SE

>> No.7745329

>>7745202
But that's not a degree, that's a course.

>> No.7745852

>>7745202
>>7744620
>>7744617
How do you even read this? This figures look like meaningless psychology or marketing graphs.

>> No.7745862

>>7743184
Literally everyone on here seems to be totally disregarding the theoretical side of CS. It's not all software engineering.

>> No.7745864

>>7745329
Not everywhere. Many schools make a distinction between SE and CS, where CS is more theoretical and SE is just coding (what a lot of people here seem to think CS is).

>> No.7745895

>>7744173
>you spend little to no time learning about algorithmic complexity, the theory of computation

Because that stuff is really easy to learn on your own. Back when I took algorithms, the top 5 ranking students in the class were all the CEs with curved grades over 100. This was followed by a gulf with the first ranking CS majors landing only in the low 80s and that rapidly dropped off for the rest of the majors.

>inb4 "that be all shiet school nigga, muh gud school be killer yo"

We used the same algorithms text everyone uses (CLRS) and covered the same topics as every good school you can think of (I've actually check) plus our school is high ranking too. CS isn't hard, the students are just terrible and deluded about how difficult their courses are since they're surround by other terrible students to measure themselves against.

>> No.7745907

>>7744010
>CE is a meme career, all they know is java

My Aussie friend. In America, the subjects of CS and CE are swapped around. Here it is CS that's a meme career with all they know being enterprise java™

>> No.7745956

>>7744010
Similar to my school. There are lots of CE grads who are currently taking CS because they learned fuck all about software in CE. At most they learn some C++, but in our CS program the core classes teach C but you pretty much move on to something else depending on what you specialize in. Racket for languages and compilers, I've seen lots of leeway for using any tools you like for SE courses (strong bias towards Java though), lots of C and unix stuff for security, and html, php, and SQL, in varying quantities for web and database classes.

What really gets my goat is that the AI class uses fucking Java.

>> No.7745962
File: 886 KB, 1170x500, CS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7745862
>theoretical side of CS

Because you don't really see it until graduate school. The stuff done in undergrad is a joke regardless of how much it kicked your ass.

>> No.7745968

>>7744173
>In a CE degree, you spend little to no time learning about algorithmic complexity, the theory of computation

LOL. What kind of shit-tier Comp.E program did you go to? I had all that stuff plus basic EE and digital electronics.

>> No.7746092

>>7745962
Only if you go to a shit-tier school.

>> No.7746102

>>7746092
>lel epic shit-tier school deflection

Women's Study is the most mathematical major. Anyone who says different goes to a shit-tier school.

>> No.7746113

>>7745956
>AI class
You know AI is a meme, right?

>> No.7746116

>>7746092
Only shit tier schools have such a thing as 'minor' or 'major'. You either graduate or you don't.

>> No.7746137

>>7746102

Math is the most mathematical major, obviously.

>> No.7746142

>>7746116

Every school in the United States has majors. Some schools like Harvard call them "concentrations" instead. Also Caltech calls them "options"

>> No.7746156

>>7746142
I don't have the concept of that, sorry. How does it work?

>> No.7746173

>>7746137

Only if your school is shit tier. Theoretical misogyny, patriarchal logic, and chauvinistic pig analysis is vastly more h̶a̶r̶dwetcore.

>> No.7746185

>>7743468
Belgium here. Same.

>> No.7746188

>>7743496
Checked. Where are you from ?

>> No.7746201

>>7743920
>go to a place of higher learning
>try your hardest to avoid learning

I fucking hate my generation

>> No.7746208

>>7743189
>Essentially, CE designs the hardware that runs computers (i.e. hard drive, ram, etc.) and designs the software and programs to run on said hardware. CS makes the GUIs and hacks webpages together. Just a basic overview.

>> No.7746215

>>7743198
>It's good to know that all my colleagues are retarded and mix them up.

Protip:
OZ's CE = 'merika's CS = Europastan's Infomatics
OZ's CS = 'merika's CE

>> No.7746218

>>7746215
What is OZ?

>> No.7746229

>>7746218
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Oz#Etymology_2

>> No.7746393

>>7746229

Well, this is my study plan
>>7743623

I don't know if it looks like any of those two.

>> No.7746413

>>7743247
>If I can learn on my own then I'd consider to not do it

You can learn the whole 4 year CS curriculum in less than a year of self study:
http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/mit-challenge/

>> No.7746428

>>7746413
I was talking about the math major, but thanks.

>> No.7746461

>>7743374
>I think it's CS meme to make them feel smarter than they are, and to throw buzzwords around

Very much this. It's even worse when they attempt to talk about algorithms and complexity theory and get everything horribly wrong, even the most basic shit.

>>7743946
>CS varies depending on your school

True but at the best end, it's a joke with classes that should be rated 1 credit hour instead of the 4 given. At the worst end, it's "how the fuck do you manage to dress yourself in the morning?" tier.

>>7743652
>Who cares

Why even go to school if you're not going to learn anything?

>> No.7746588

>>7743184

CS = Codemonkey Studies (CMS at Caltech)
CE = Codemonkey Engineering (ECE at MIT)

>> No.7746742

>>7743468
>ausfags
>thinking they're relevant

>> No.7747053

>>7745852
They're not quantitative by any means, just informal graphs showing what students of each discipline actually do after graduation.

CE does anything related to computer architecture, theoretical and applied, a bit less of systems, and a bit of software design.
CS does a lot of theoretical work, and they tend towards software design as they do more applied work.

>> No.7747061

>>7746742
>>>/pol/

>> No.7747111
File: 5 KB, 368x171, faggot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743380
>>7743667
you faggots make it too complicated. the math behind this is just that '*' is printed at diagonal points and ' ' in all others.

>> No.7748035

>>7743949
kek the only voltage CS students know is the Mountain Dew: Voltage they guzzle before a night of watching anime while engineering students dick down the asian and indian qts

>> No.7748047

One requires a degree to get a job in, the other requires programming tutorials.

>> No.7748148

>>7747061
>>>/trash/

>> No.7748291
File: 85 KB, 540x786, CS_the_difference.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743184
This is the difference my little pal.

>> No.7748309

Why does cal poly offer CE SE and CS as different majors? Is there a difference?

They are a highly rated engineering school

>> No.7748427

>>7748291
kek

>> No.7748594

>>7748309
https://csc.calpoly.edu/prospective/computer-science-software-engineering-computer-engineering-whats-the-difference/

http://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerengineering/bscomputerengineering/
http://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerscience/bscomputerscience/
http://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/computerscience/bssoftwareengineering/

>> No.7748684

>>7743290
CS majors and math majors seem to look down their noses at each other a lot of the time. It's retarded since their fields are so closely related.

>> No.7748691
File: 423 KB, 490x684, Hardest class in CS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7748684
>CS majors
>look down on anyone

Top kek

>> No.7748739

>>7748691
I'm not saying it makes sense, but most of them say studying math is a waste of time since you generally don't have an opportunity to apply it.

>> No.7748752

>>7743189
Fuck back to nairaland with you

>> No.7749007

>>7748035
>dick down the asian and indian qts

fuck you man, this makes me sad. I'm Indian any my crush just went to Philadelphia this year to pursue mech engg. If your comment is indeed true, I just wanna kill myself. I don't think I can imagine her with some other guy, especially some white faggot. ;_;

>> No.7749010

>>7749007
and* my crush

>> No.7749024

>>7749007
POO IN LOO

>> No.7749026
File: 73 KB, 891x702, ME guy living in Sweden.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7749007
Unfortunately for you girls prefer white dick. Even poo skin girls prefer white (and black) dick; your crush has probably been ravaged by both by now, especially the BBC because fucking black guys is considered a vital college experience.

Why do you think the West pushes for so much multiculturalism in the first place? For the oldest reason in the world: pussy.

Pic related: your position in the brave new world.

>> No.7749029

>>7749007
Here in Australia, there are no girls in engineering. Maybe it's just an American thing. Dunno bro

>> No.7749031

>>7748691
a math only guy cant find properties between huge sets because will not be able to program an analyser, theyre basically lost at finding solutions to cellular automatons and collatz conjecture like problems because they simple dont have the tools

Its like they are trying to built a house with a spoon, i cant look at it, its a pain to watch

They even invented R because they are to stupid to connect recursive functions numbered by their recursive depth

R will be btfo and some cs capable guy will solve the next hard problems because they can think outside the box that mathematicians have put themselves in

>> No.7749960

>>7749031
I think the only one putting mathematicians in a box is you.

>> No.7749980

>>7748684
They don't look down on one another, but Math is definitely jealous of CS salaries now a days. One CS can put many Math out of the job.

Just look at whats going on with online calculators now a days. You used to never be able to do the kind of calculations so freely within seconds and for free. Also, look at online courses. You can program all Math courses online quite easily.

CS still respects Math though, regardless of how butthurt the spergs on this board get. Formulas are so great and new formulas are always welcome.

Arguably, the only difference between CS and Math is the Math have all the formulas memorized. Whereas CS will have to look the rules up, but both Math and CS can perform the calculations.

>> No.7750445
File: 96 KB, 650x369, CS job discrimination.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7749980
>but Math is definitely jealous of CS salaries now a days

Anyone can get CS jobs except for CS majors. They have proven themselves so utterly incompetent at everything they set out to do that they are rapidly being blacklisted by employers. Even high school students are better than CS majors.

>> No.7750455
File: 5 KB, 262x292, sci view on CS majors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7749980
>One CS can put many Math out of the job
>Just look at whats going on with online calculators now a days

Mathematicians and calculators are TWO VERY DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS. All the great mathematicians of the past had calculators WORKING FOR THEM. The profession of calculator might be dead with the advent of the electronic calculator but mathematics can never be mechanized and this is a proven fact. You may as well say Legos put civil engineers out of a job as anyone can make models now.

>the only difference between CS and Math is the Math have all the formulas memorized

Way to prove the stereotype of CS majors.

>> No.7750488

>>7750445
Source for employers blacklisting?
I know the degree isn't as qualified as an engineering degree but blacklisting is something else.

>> No.7750491

>>7749980
Math isn't about calculations. You're completely missing the whole point behind mathematics.

>> No.7750657

>>7750455
This. Guess who invented computers to begin with? Fucking mathematicians.

>> No.7750911
File: 469 KB, 480x228, 129038579238045.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7750455
>Mathematicians and calculators are TWO VERY DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS.
Sperglord triggered.

>> No.7750920

>>7750488
Read this article. They are the words of an actual CEO from a tech company. I believe that his company is not that relevant but his attitude definitely says something about the value of a CS degree in the near future,
http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-im-not-looking-to-hire-computer-science-majors-1440804753

Let me bring some important points because I don't expect anyone to just click a link.

>The thing I don’t look for in a developer is a degree in computer science

>They teach students how to design an operating system, but not how to work with a real, live development team.

>my lead developer didn’t graduate from college, and neither did my other full-stack developer

>I do have one developer with a degree in electrical engineering

Now I will admit that I don't share his opinion on why CS grads are useless because I think they are useless for other reasons but if anything that shows that CS grads are even more useless than I thought.

>> No.7750926

>>7750920
Yeah that's really saying the opposite of what you want to say (computer engineering teaches more of what he doesn't like and less of what he does). He probably doesn't immediately ignore comp sci majors though.

>> No.7750928

>>7750926
>He probably doesn't immediately ignore comp sci majors

He literally said that he does ignore them. He said he doesn't even look for them.

>> No.7750934

>>7750920
Nice source man. I decided to look up the company of the guy and see what kind of products they sell. I was expecting that the company did some really top tier work in algorithms because that would explain why he would be already done with CS majors but it is even worse.

His company is really just an app company. All they have (as of now) is an iPhone app. If a company that does no more than mobile development (which is as easy and as simple as it gets) is already tired of the incompetency of CS majors then I see a very dark future for anyone right now studying CS.

>> No.7750942

>>7750934
You don't want CS majors working on apps. Maybe some of the back end stuff (maybe) but that's not what you have them for.

>> No.7750955
File: 271 KB, 1000x638, room.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Proof that Computer Science is a meme!

Remember that if you enroll in computer science it will be 4 years til you actually enter the market.

Use this graph plus some other data on CS grads already out there to calculate how much competition you will have when you graduate.

Or as an alternative: GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM CS.

>> No.7750962

>>7750955
That graph just make me sad.

The first 158 guys enrolled in fall of 2010 were probably really interested in computer science. They are probably the type of guys who learned programming on their own while in high school and really fell in love with the subject. I bet those guys are now really talented individuals with pride in their work.

Now look at fall of 2015. 812 uninspired fucks who probably don't know shit about computers and are just looking for the quick buck. When they graduate they will be other group of mindless drones who won't even be able to do fizzbuzz.

It is a sad world we live in.

>> No.7751014

>>7750955
>didn't include graduation rate
faggot

>> No.7751041

>>7751014
Yeah, you keep denying reality.

Anyways, you could google this shit yourself but as we know CS majors are too retarded to do anything other than copy paste Python scripts so here you go:

https://cs.illinois.edu/about-us/cs-statistics

As you can see, the CS degrees are not only CS but unfortunately the rest of the studies I found would revolve around race and gender in CS.

In my opinion that only shows how CS majors are big babies who cry if there are not enough women in their classrooms but whatever. The data is there.

>> No.7751066

>>7750962
This

>> No.7751089
File: 87 KB, 449x353, Cs full.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7750955

>> No.7751111

>>7749031
>CS major pleb deluded into thinking his pathetic low IQ life is greater than a mathematician.

Lol @ your shitty low tier degree that any monkey can complete

>> No.7751134

>>7751041
What worthless school teaches python in their CS programs?

>> No.7751156

>>7751134
>teaching python at any school
That's instantly high-school-tier shit like "programming" class haha

>> No.7751160
File: 21 KB, 438x334, spergs_on_suicide_watch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7750445
>>7750455
>>7750491
>>7750920
>>7750955
>>7750962
>>7751041
>>7751111
SPERGS BTFO

>> No.7751164

>>7751160
Show source faggot, anyone can open paint and type in some generic font "x career: $y"

>> No.7751181

>>7751134
I'm tired of this. I'm just going to fucking link the google search this time.

https://www.google.com/#q=Computer+Science+INtro+to+python+class

A short extract that is really what you are asking for

>Intro to Computer Science (CS101) covers the basics of Python & computer programming

>>7751160
Nice graph without source but because I don't give a shit I will assume they are true.

I am assuming that the numbers are an average of the income that grads in those sectors are making because that is usually what these graphs are anyways.

The problem here is that no every math graduate goes to software development. Many (those that didn't train the practical skills) go to finance, high school education, etc. While every CS guy will go to software.

So the CS data would have X number of guys earning 60k at some software company while the Math data would have Y number of guys earning 70k at some software company, Z number of guys earning 40k in finance and some other guys doing some other shit that pays less.

If you are a math grad or an engineer or anything you will get the same salary as a CS fag if you go to software so your graph says nothing.

Show proof that math grads are underpaid in software or technology in general and then we can start talking about you being right.

As for now, you just googled 'Graph that sort of points to my opinion being right but is vague' and then posted it thinking you are now a genius.

>> No.7751211

>>7751160
CEO $100,000,000

MBA is the best degree!!!

>> No.7751226
File: 145 KB, 680x962, 1441845495617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751164
>>7751181
>they don't know how to image search
>they don't know about Google
Come on spergs...you can't be this dumb...or can you? lmao

This isn't in a comparison with CS and MATH. It's math AND SCIENCES. If you take out the SCIENCES the salaries go to the 30k range. It's laughable.

>> No.7751229

>>7743399
Yeah at my school EE and CE are nearly identical for the first three years. A CE is pretty much an EE specialized in digital design and computer architecture

>> No.7751276
File: 652 KB, 900x344, math.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751226
Highest paid math jobs in pic related.

Other lower paying jobs for math grads:
http://money.cnn.com/2000/11/10/career/q_degreemath/math.jpg

Median salary, all according to payscale.com

Teacher: 45k
Computer programmer: 58k
General management: 60k
Insurance broker: 41k

That is, unlike yours, solid and well sourced data.

The best jobs for math grads completely stomp on your 60k BS and the lowest paid jobs for math grads all hang around the 60k line.

Also, that pic plus the way you write gives you a smug tone. I guess I am also right about all CS majors being annoying little shits.

>> No.7751278
File: 135 KB, 1200x1819, truth.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751276
Wrong pic lol.

Pic related here are the highest paying jobs for math grads, all according to payscale which is probably the biggest and most reliable source we have.

>> No.7751291
File: 4 KB, 118x125, 1433005312104s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7751278
>% Math Majors
HOLY FUCKING KEK. MATH MAJORS BTFO. SPERGS CONTINUE TO BE ON SUICIDE WATCH.

>> No.7751298

>>7751291
Yeah, now that your data has been shown to be utter bullshit you fallback on mindless insults and memes.

>kek
>sperg
>suicide watch

Seriously, if you can only communicate in memes I suggest helium tank.

Anyways, what is wrong with that? It just shows two things:

>1 Those jobs seek people from various backgrounds which is good.
>2 Math grads are not funneled into one career path (like CS which turns you into a life long code monkey) and are instead scattered around various science and technology position meaning that with a math degree you can work anywhere you have an interest in doing various different things.

>> No.7751307

>>7751298
Data is from Forbes you sperg. Google. My God you guys are morons.

>> No.7751315

>>7751307
And I already told you (and showed you) while the math number is lower. It is dragged down by people who do the lower paying jobs.

I'm not saying the research is bad, it is definitely accurate. If you were to took the average salary of every person with a math degree it would be around 45k but the truth is that there are plenty of math grads earning >70k and even some living the 300k dream. Literally. But these guys are super genius researchers like Tao.

However, I would say that the data is misguided because just averaging everything is not the best way to go. That is why the data I am giving you from payscale is more reliable. Have you seen how much data payscale has, on everything? It is ridiculous. You can search any job and there are numbers, graphs, recommendations and many things more. If you want to argue on the same level I suggest you find sources with as much accuracy as payscale.

>> No.7751326

>>7751226
>expecting people to reverse search for some image that looks like was made in paint under 1 minute
kys

>> No.7751327

>>7751315
[citation needed]

>> No.7751363

>>7750926
>computer engineering teaches more of what he doesn't like and less of what he does

He doesn't hate theory, he hates how CS majors don't have problem solving skills. A CpE/EE certainly has them in spades

>> No.7751854
File: 259 KB, 834x626, need_of_cs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CE is math for engineers (i.e. no proofs, books like stewart calculus and compute as many integrals as you can).

CS is math at the same level as a math major. CS assumes that you will need this heavy math load in order to create new technology. On the other hand CE is just for someone who is willing to follow a technical carrer.

SE is this >>7745144

Also, If you want a detailed explanation, why dont you go to the ACM computing curricula?. However, I am not surprised about all the shit posting about CS. We all know that /sci/ is 90% engineers, furthermore how many of /sci/ engineers come from top tier universities?.

>> No.7751950

>>7751854
Well, CE (at least in my college and all of its branches) is the engineering with the largest math curriculum.

>> No.7751955
File: 167 KB, 719x972, virus.exe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7743184

>> No.7751981

>>7751950

Let me tell you that you are in a shit college...

>> No.7751984

>>7751981
Not really, this is my study plan.
>>7743623

>> No.7752051

>>7751981
>>7743623

>Ehitcs of an engineer
>- Calculus (one course of theory, the other one for applied calculus).

With stewart calculus, no spivak nor spivak in manifolds
>- Linear algebra.
For engineers (compute matrices and shit like that, no hoffman nor friedberg)
>- Economics.
>- Probability and statistics.
For engineers in one variable...
>- Financial administration.
>- Business management.
>- Leadership and professional development.

Sorry deepak, you went to a shit technical college.

>> No.7752104

>>7752051
>With stewart calculus, no spivak nor spivak in manifolds
We use Granville and Spivak, not Stewart.

>For engineers (compute matrices and shit like that, no hoffman nor friedberg)
Well, it's an engineering school.

>For engineers in one variable...
Wrong.

>>- Financial administration.
>>- Business management.
>>- Leadership and professional development.
>.....
>Sorry deepak, you went to a shit technical college.

These are pretty standard outside of America.

>> No.7752107

>>7751955
>Radiohead

>> No.7752231

>>7751955
>Preferred OS - Linux
As if it's something good.

>> No.7752246

>>7751854
>do set notation and logical quantifiers

>>OH SHEEIT, WEZ R MHATH MAJURS NAO!

>> No.7752255

>>7751854
>why dont you go to the ACM computing curricula

Why don't you
>http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations

The Computer Engineering Task Force makes the following recommendations with respect to the mathematical content of the computer engineering curriculum.
>Discrete structures: All students need knowledge of the mathematical principles of discrete structures and exposure to related tools. All programs should include enough exposure to this area to cover the core topics specified in the computer engineering body of knowledge.
>Differential and integral calculus: The calculus is required to support such computer engineering material as communications theory, signals and systems, and analog electronics and it is fundamental to all engineering programs.
>Probability and statistics: These related topics underpin considerations of reliability, safety, dependence, and various other concepts of concern to the computer engineer. Many programs will have students take an existing course in probability and statistics; some programs may allow some students to study less than a full semester course in the subject. Regardless of the implementation, all students should get at least some brief exposure to discrete and continuous probability, stochastic processes, sampling distributions, estimation, hypothesis testing, and correlation and regression, as specified in the computer engineering body of knowledge.
>Additional mathematics: Students should take additional mathematics to develop their sophistication in this area and to support classes in topics such as communications theory, security, signals and systems, analog electronics, and artificial intelligence. That mathematics might consist of courses in any number of areas, including further calculus, differential equations, transform theory, linear algebra, numerical methods, complex variables, geometry, number theory, or symbolic logic.

>> No.7752265

>>7751854
>>7752255
>Mathematics Requirements in Computer Science
>While nearly all undergraduate programs in computer science include mathematics courses in their curricula, the full set of such requirements varies broadly by institution due to a number of factors. For example, whether or not a CS program is housed in a School of Engineering can directly influence the requirements for courses on calculus and/or differential equations, even if such courses include far more material in these areas than is generally needed for most CS majors. As a result, CS2013 only specifies mathematical requirements that we believe are directly relevant for the large majority of all CS undergraduates (for example, elements of set theory, logic, and discrete probability, among others). These mathematics requirements are specified in the Body of Knowledge primarily in the Discrete Structures (DS) Knowledge Area.

>We recognize that general facility with mathematics is an important requirement for all CS students. Still, CS2013 distinguishes between the foundational mathematics that are likely to impact many parts of computer science—and are included in the CS2013 Body of Knowledge—from those that, while still important, may be most directly relevant to specific areas within computing. For example, an understanding of linear algebra plays a critical role in some areas of computing such as graphics and the analysis of graph algorithms. However, linear algebra would not necessarily be a requirement for all areas of computing (indeed, many high quality CS programs do not have an explicit linear algebra requirement). Similarly, while we do note a growing trend in the use of probability and statistics in computing (reflected by the increased number of core hours on these topics in the Body of Knowledge) and believe that this trend is likely to continue in the future, we still believe it is not necessary for all CS programs to require a full course in probability theory for all majors.

>> No.7752268

>>7751134

Any school that doesn't teach Java

>> No.7752332

>>7752268
Java is a shitty language too
At least it's better than python.

>> No.7752341

>>7751854
>CE
>math (for engineers)

CE is first and foremost computer architecture

>CS
>math at a math undergrad level

you went full retarded

>go to the ACM computing curricula

dont cite things that say the opposite of what you're saying you faggot

>> No.7752364
File: 210 KB, 1024x768, Jshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7752332

C++ > Lua >> Python >>> C# > Java == shit

>> No.7752380

>>7752364
>lua
Go back to making wow mods and take your shitty language with you

>> No.7752383

>>7752380

Lua is what python would have been if not designed by an autist

>> No.7752404
File: 86 KB, 960x670, php-elephant.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What about PHP?
Is PHP ok?
Can PHP become a new meme?

>> No.7752783

CE: A study of computers.
CS: A study of computing.

>> No.7752794

>>7752404
PHP is good and if you are good at it you can make a lot of money.

The reason for this is that while the braindead fucks that are CS majors jerk off making videogames and apps, none of them even touches backend development which is usually the most complex part of something like facebook and usually the backend developers will also be the ones paid more.

But unfortunately not many put time into learning PHP so CS majors are hired anyways and you know what happens? It got so bad that now in /g/ there is a meme that working in PHP is hell because most PHP code out there is a fucking mess.

Computer Science - Not even once

>> No.7752876

>>7752783

CE: A study of computers.
CS: A study of buzzwords.

>> No.7752888

>>7752876
>computing
>buzzword
Wanna know how I know you're a plebeian?

>> No.7752908

>>7743184
>>7752783
CE: you do more physics.
CS: you do more maths.

(at least where i'm at)

>> No.7752921

>>7752888

Mobile
Big Data
Intractability
Data Science
Deep Learning
Blast Processing

>> No.7752944

>>7752921
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's buzzwords. People working in those areas (except mobile) solve problems regular code monkeys can't even dream of.

>> No.7752955

>>7752944

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blast+Processing

>> No.7752970

>>7752955
Cool, so you made something up. Still doesn't change the fact the other terms are meaningful and used to solve complex problems.

>> No.7752975
File: 10 KB, 620x330, Goat-Processing-2-620x330.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7752944

t. Goat Processing Expert

>> No.7752982

>>7752975
Look here and see how many of those buzzwords are sought for in research:
http://eccv2014.org/jobs/

>> No.7753104

>>7752364
>C++
>2015

>> No.7753121

>>7753104
I'm in my first year of Computer Science and Information Technologies and the first programming language we're learning is C++.

>> No.7753122

>>7753104
C++14 came out a year ago and C++17 is right around the corner

>> No.7753125

>>7753122
So what? Is it less shitty now?

>> No.7753127

>>7753125
What makes C++ shitty?

>> No.7753134

>>7753127

Autists spreading the meme that it's shitty

>> No.7753140

>>7753134
I'm fairly new to programming and I'm seeing everywhere that C++ is the main programming language of all langugages. That if you know how to program in C++, you'll easily know how to program in every other language. Which is why I always wonder why people would say that it's shitty.

>> No.7753152

>all this alpha nerding

>> No.7753177

>>7753140
Most C++ haters I've seen myself hate it because it's "too complicated" and prefer memes like Ruby or Python.
But the vast majority of people who say C++ sucks is due to the fact that they are Linus Torvalds' cocksuckers and hate C++ because of how much Torvalds hates it.
http://lwn.net/Articles/249460/

>> No.7753179

>>7753134
>>7753127
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

>> No.7753192 [DELETED] 

>>7753179

All those complaints boil down to, "I'm stupids so no one should be allowed to be smart". Fun trivia: The creator of Java once stopped a random passing by CS major one day and asked him if he understood unsigned arithmetic. He responded no and thus Java doesn't have unsigned types. This is the world of CS.

>> No.7753236

>>7753177
this. C++ is by far the most fun to program in. At least for me.

>> No.7753726

>>7752908
How so?

>> No.7753760

>>7743184
CS major here and going to show you our genius.

Here is algorithm for multiplication! Bow before me, inferior non-CS majors

int multiply(int a,int b) {
int result = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < b; b++)
a += a;
return result;
}

I'm sure this is how computers nowadays do it! I couldn't have discovered without my Algorithm design class.

>> No.7753966

>>7753760
Astonishing. How many people worked in that complex algorithm?

>> No.7753972

>>7752268
CS majors at Illinois do Java for their introductory class though.

>> No.7754215

>>7753760
You increase a but return result. So effectively, it calculates a *2^b and then returns 0. Bravo, Bjarne!
>>7753236
Try C#. Literally a pleasure to write in.

>> No.7754423

>>7754215
C# is nice. All the stuff it drags in with it isn't so nice.

>> No.7754428
File: 60 KB, 782x522, typical CS major.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7753972

Which is why CS isn't respected

>> No.7754437

>>7754215
>it calculates a *2^b

No, it calculates a*(2^31-b) in exponential time

>cs majors can't analyze algorithms

>> No.7754541

>>7751278
>Job title: Mathematician