[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 116 KB, 1170x702, Lecturer_02-1170x702.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7732932 No.7732932[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Man fuck lecturers
>Excuse me
>Excuse me
>I thought I told you all to put away your phones already

Like, listen bitch, I'm not purchasing your services right now so you can harangue me, and you should really learn the snivelling gratitude you're meant to show as a customer-facing employee. Sure, I might not be respecting you by being on my phone in class, but as a paying customer that is my right, long as I'm not playing like Mario with the volume turned up.

Fuck colleges and fuck their uppity ass lecturers.

>> No.7732937

I have never seen anyone complain about cell phone use the entire time I was in undergrad.

Only loud talking.

>> No.7732941

>>7732937

I hate the fucking loud talkers. Spent a semester in OChem 1 with two sorority chicks giggling about stupid shit the entire lecture. A lot of people were really happy that they failed, and we didn't have to deal with them for OChem 2.

>> No.7732943
File: 15 KB, 324x291, 717.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7732932
>purchasing your services
Kek.

I'm sorry your lecturers suck though m8

>> No.7732945

>>7732937
Yeah I don't know what this woman's problem was, but it's seriously turned me off the institution. Thinking about taking my business elsewhere.

>>7732943
>>purchasing your services
>Kek.
What do you mean, kek?

>> No.7732948

>>7732945
>not being paid by your uni to go there

>> No.7732949

>>7732932
>purchasing your services
> the snivelling gratitude you're meant to show as a customer-facing employee
>as a paying customer that is my right

If this isn't a troll, I'm very saddened by this.

>> No.7732951

>>7732948
Oh..
:(

>> No.7732953

>>7732945
>What do you mean, kek?
I meant I've never considered I was purchasing the services of a lecturer when I'm going to uni. It's only about 200€ incl. books etc per year, but still, I consider that a very strange point of view.

>> No.7732954

Does this really happen? I thought college was for adults?

>> No.7732955

>>7732953
Well you might not be paying much, but the uni is reimbursed on your behalf by the government with tax funds they presume you'll be contributing in the future, so in a roundabout way even you europeans are paying customers.

>> No.7732963

>>7732955
Yes sure but still, even if I was paying 10000€ a year I wouldn't consider that a "service" (at least I think). Uni is supposed to give you opportunities for life. I'm far from being happy with all aspects of my uni life, but all in all I feel grateful for having received an education good enough to pursue a PhD in the world's first research centre in space physics. I believe I would feel that way regardless of the price I paid (but again maybe I'm wrong).

>> No.7732966

>>7732963
Idk man mcdonalds employees are fired if they aren't grovelling shits and you're just buying from them a burger.

For thousands a year they should be sucking your dick not giving you attitude.

>> No.7732972

>>7732932
I totally agree with you OP
>Miss lectures
>Called to Dean's office to be bitched at for half an hour
>"If you continue to miss lectures we will fail you even if you pass the exam bla bla"
Nigger seriously? I paid for the lecture, you got your money, I am an adult it is my prerogative whetehr to turn up or not.

>> No.7732973

>>7732949
But he's right, universities treat us like kids when we are adults who pay them thousands. it's like going to a hotel and the manager treating you like you're a child under his roof. You wouldn't stand for that.

>> No.7732974

>>7732943
>what is taxes

>> No.7732977

You are not an adult.

>> No.7732978

>>7732977
Children can't go into debt so looks like you're wrong on that one buddy.

>> No.7732979

>>7732966
You seem entitled, anon.

If you get butthurt because a teacher was mean to you, I can tell you you're exactly the kind of person I'd never hire. Stop thinking money buys everything, that everybody should hold your hand for it, and start putting some effort into your degree.

>> No.7732986

>>7732932
You're not "paying for a service" you're paying for the opportunity to earn your degree. Lectures are irrelevant and attendance isn't obligatory.

>> No.7732987

You're not "purchasing their services," it's a mutual agreement in which you join their academic community, which has certain standards of behavior. That's why you had to apply to get in and have to maintain your grades to stay in. Part of your end of the deal is not acting like a ridiculous baby.

>> No.7732988

>>7732978

Just because you're legally no longer a minor doesn't make you an adult, clearly.

>> No.7732990

You're a retard.

You think you're paying for the education and can do what you want?

No. You sent them an application. You pay to go but you adhere to the rules they enforce also, retard. You probably wouldn't complain about a high school teacher telling someone to put away their phone, right? Well they're paid through taxes too dumb cunt.

You chose the institution and you comply with their rules.

Sure when I'm in a restaurant, I've paid for their service, but they have the right to ask me to put my phone away if I start speaking incredibly loudly for everyone else to hear.

>> No.7732991

>>7732986
I'm very much paying for a service.
Or do you think it costs thousands per year to administer some exams?

>> No.7732992

Try coming into my bar with that attitude and you'll find that you won't be served a single drink. Respect the person serving you and you will be respected.

>> No.7732993

>>7732974
It's what allowed a kid from a lower middle class family to eventually have the opportunity to do PhD in physics because uni cost him about 200€ per year. American dream, my ass.

>> No.7733003

>>7732991
First up, you little faggot, nearly all department's funding -including salaries- comes from public or private grants and external consultation fees, tuition fees is almost nothing and the majority of it goes towards YOUR costs such as administrators (not tied to the department), lab equipment, maintaining student lecture halls, libraries, labs etc. (again, shit not owned by the department)

So if you were under any delusions that you're paying anyone's salary, get that out of your head because you're retarded.

Now, what you are actually paying for (if you weren't good enough to get a scholarship and have the university pay you) is for the opportunity to prove yourself. Universities exist primarily as RESEARCH institutions and secondarily as educational institutions.

Are you starting to see the trend? You are no one's priority. You are paying for the privilege of being there. You are paying to have a student card that lets you inside campus and some of its labs. You are paying to maintain the campus facilities you use including countless library journal subscription fees. And finally you are paying for the opportunity to earn a qualification. That's it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Now if you attend someone's lecture you are allowed into that lectured hall because you paid to be there. You did not pay the guy in front to deliver the lecture (he is not your fucking high-school teacher). The lecturer would have done that lecture whether there were 300 hundred or zero students. That is not important. He is employed as a researcher, not a lecturer. Lecturing is more like a left over facet from traditional university systems than an actual duty of departmental faculty. If you scrapped all lectures at every university nothing much would change because that is not an important function of university at all and university is supposed to be self-study anyway.

You're an adult. Act like it.

>> No.7733008

>>7733003
[bootlicking intensifies]

Goddamn what an outdated model, can't wait till this shit dies.

>> No.7733021

>>7733008
>not being a smug little prick is bootlicking
He used harsh words but he's right. Grow up.

>> No.7733027

>>7732993
Only if they are born to the right family (i.e. one in the right country).

>> No.7733033

>>7733021
I wouldn't say he's right.

In the age of computerised records I really shouldn't be paying some bureaucrats to shuffle papers, nor do I wish to pay to maintain some fucking building. I'm, as stated, paying for an education, and if institutions no longer find that profitable enough to employ people to do, someone will take that opportunity and beat their ass in sweet sweet free market competition.

>> No.7733035

>>7733008
>bootlicking
>Someone who understands what academia is bootlicking
No. Again, there are thousands of people at a university, you are not ordering take out at McDonald's. The faculty doesn't care about you, you barely register on their radar.

Anyway I'm a gradstudent.

Guess who pays my TA salary? It's tied to my Adviser's grant, not you.

You have absolutely no idea how academia works and I suggest you stop assuming it's in any way similar to high-school before you embarrass yourself in real life.

>> No.7733041

Why is this generation of whiny fuccboys so horrible? Where did life go so wrong?

>> No.7733045

>>7733033
>nor do I wish to pay to maintain some fucking building
Then don't fucking pay you retard. There's thousands of kids waiting line to take your place.

>I'm, as stated, paying for an education
According to you, not according to the university or anyone moderately intelligent.

>and if institutions no longer find that profitable enough to employ people to do, someone will take that opportunity and beat their ass in sweet sweet free market competition.
Go ahead and try.

No seriously, you are perfectly welcome to do your degree at an online "university" where your fees are almost nothing.

>> No.7733058

None of my profs seem to care if I text or eat in class, as long as you're not talking or being disruptive.

>> No.7733062

>>7732972
>compulsory attendance at lectures
fuckin wot

>> No.7733067

>>7732972
I'm >>7733003 >>7733035

I have to say this is ridiculous. I've never of anything like that happening at any good university though.

>> No.7733086

>>7733067
See my friend, that boot polish doesn't taste that good now does it?

>> No.7733088

>>7733086
I was talking about real universities before, not whatever meme institution you attend where anyone cares about attendance.

>> No.7733090

>>7732932
>Sure, I might not be respecting you by being on my phone in class, but as a paying customer that is my right,

Enjoy your shit tier education then, you subhuman pond scum

>> No.7733092

>>7733008
[retardation intensifies]
(You)

>> No.7733096
File: 14 KB, 480x319, 1432857461499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7732932
>take a gen ed
>she takes attendance
>whatever I'll just stay on phone
>first day of class
>yeah you can't be on your phones I'll take them away
>ok whatever
>put phone away
>next lecture bring with me all my old phones and an I pod touch
>start browsing the internet on my phone
>she stops the entire lecture and tells me to put it away
>tell her I'm good and hand her the phone
>she has the smuggest look on her face
>she takes ten minutes to fill out a piece of paper work for the phone
>two second later
>whip out another one
>I can see the rage building up within her
>anon please put your phone away
>say nah I'm good and hand her the phone again
>she fills out a piece of paper work again now wasting 20 minutes
>everyone in the class is dead silent
>after she starts up again I pull out another cellphone
>she loses her shit
>YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY! YOU CAN LEAVE IF I'M SO BORING TO YOU ANON.
>explain to her why it's stupid to even bother taking students phones and that she's wasting time
>hand her my phone again
>spend another 10 minutes filling out a piece of paper work
>take out my Ipod touch after that
>she just closes her laptop and leaves the room and says that class is ending early today
>mostly because she was about to have a stroke

>> No.7733101

>>7733096
shit that didn't happen.txt

>> No.7733103

>>7733096

Not sure if this actually happened but holy fuck I laughed

>> No.7733105
File: 984 KB, 416x234, time for anal.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7733096
I would've wanted to fucking punch you for wasting my fucking time (as another student in the lecture)

I know it's bait though.

>> No.7733107

>>7733105

>MY TIME AS A STUDENT IS SUPER VALUABLE AND I TOTALLY DIDN'T SPEND ALL OF THIS MONEY TO SIT IN A POINTLESS LECTURE ALL SEMESTER

>> No.7733108

>>7733096
>Two kids wasting each other's time

I mean I get it, she's retarded for thinking the lecture hall is her personal safe space and you all need to pay attention to her.

But on the other hand what you did is like going to a business meeting where everyone speaks English and it was asked before hand that English be used and then you refuse to speak anything other than your native tongue (say your Chinese for argument's sake). You're wasting everyone's time and not getting anything done.

The lecture isn't about you, and it isn't about the lecturer either, she just have continued lecturing and not be a little bitch about it.

>> No.7733114

Only CC professors complain about cell phones, at a real school they don't care if you pass the course because you aren't paying attention. And they know no one actually learns anything in class.

>> No.7733126

Generally I haven't seen anyone actually give a shit about stuff like that unless they were being disruptive.

I saw some kid making tons of noise with a newspaper once and my advisor, who was teaching the class at the time, just went over and casually chucked it into the trashcan while he was explaining something. It was pretty funny.

>> No.7733130

>>7733096
Reminds me of the time in geometry class
Syllabus basically says we can doing anything we want as long as we do not disturb the class and we keep our grades up.
I sleep in the back corner. Teacher gets annoyed, but my grades are good and I am not disturbing the class.
He starts waking me up to answer questions, which now counts as part of our grade.
His setups and questions get more and more aggressive as after a point he is straight up trying to frame me.
One day he writes a big complex problem on the chalk board then demands I answer it quickly.
As soon as he says this I say the correct answer, still half asleep with my head down and eyes closed.
He demands to know how I got it right without reading the question on the board.
I tell him still with my head down that I am not sure as I was asleep, but would guess a small part of my subconscious was calculating the geometry to figure out what he was writing on the chalkboard based on the sounds the loud piece of chalk makes as a small fraction of me was actually paying him some attention, which given my 100% in his class was all that was needed.
He let me sleep in peace the rest of the semester.

>> No.7733135

>>7733130
Why don't you just sleep at home? Sleeping in public if for vagrants and children.

>> No.7733139

>>7733135
Attendance was mandatory as part of the grade. And I stayed up late working on more interesting assignments from other classes so I needed the sleep.

If the class had been more challenging I would have gladly stayed awake to learn something new.

>> No.7733144

>>7733067
It was at UCL my man, a very highly regarded British university.
>>7733003
Nigger even if my contribution is one penny I am still a paying customer and should be treated as such. This high and mighty attitude is what I hated about university "they allowed your lowly self the privilege of attending their illustrious institution" Fucking snobs. Imagine if you went to a hotel and they treated you like a 12 year old at boarding school, shouting at you for not being in your room for all the nights that you booked, why are universities allowed to get away with the same thing regarding lectures?

>> No.7733147

>>7732932
The worst is lecturers who quiz you in class for a grade. I have research to work on, I barely finish the homework on time yet you want me to read the book between lectures. Get the fuck out of here. I'm going to follow theory then cram all the mechanics into my head before the test. This is grad school so everything in the class is going to come down to 2 or 3 principles which everything else we learned is derived from and my other classes are so similar to this that I can fill in the blanks.

If you want to quiz me, put it online instead of wasting class time.

>> No.7733149
File: 132 KB, 600x450, 1395439839437.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7732972
wait, what?

>> No.7733155

>>7733149

Most universities now.

American ones, at least.

>> No.7733162

>>7733155
Kek, in germany here as well. If you miss 3 times the class, you won't pass this class for this semester too.
I'm happy I'm somewhere where this bullshit isn't required.

>> No.7733170

>>7732979
>Stop thinking money buys everything

Except it does, anon.

>> No.7733172

>>7733096
WHAT THE FUCK HOW CAN YOU TAKE AWAY AN ADULT'S PHONE? IF IT IS NOT MAKING NOISE IT IS NOT AFFECTING ANYONE.
I have more stories of university snobbery
>Turn up to lab
>"You're late anon"
>"Wha? my timetable says I'm on time"
>Go do experiment
>Look at classmates timetables
>Turns out there is a typo on mine
>Tell staff running lab
>"I shouldn't be penalized for missing the experiment because there was a typo on my timetable"
>"No sorry you should have checked properly"
>Start to get angry now "Check what? this is the only timetable in existence, are you asking me to confirm with you who wrote it that there is no typo before every lab? How about you make sure there isn't any typos in the first place?
>"See me in my office"
So i went to his office and he started giving me the "Do you know who I am?" speech "Yeah some bald virgin faggot with too many esoteric qualifications" but I never said that of course, I said If you want to kick me off the course, do so, I am standing up for myself whoever you are and he eventually backed down and gave me the mark for the lab. Professors think they are nobility.

>> No.7733174

>>7733172
Fucking laughed at your phone story. 10/10

>> No.7733184

Never had to deal with that. I pay them shit, the State pays for my studies. If you are le smartie, they even pay you. Furthermore, profs treat us with respect. When they speak tu us (as a colective or individually) they use a "polite pronun", something along the lines of "would you, sir, like to come to the blackboard and solve this problem?". Only one of our profs has a problem with phones, but his course is really nice and I don't get bored. I actually feel odd sometimes, I've never recieved so much respect until now, and it's coming from people that have 2x/3x my age with tons of research and teaching experience.

>> No.7733187

>>7733172
>"Do you know who I am?"
Lol'd. What sort of thing even does this.

>> No.7733190

>>7733170
It won't buy you intelligence, character or a curious mind, for instance. Those things are a perquisite for a career in science though.

>> No.7733196

>>7733172
Tell me about it.

I had typos on two syllabuses which basically killed me, one of which was in the grade calculation formula. I went to the the professors both times and was told in the most long form manner that "tough luck, you fail". Was not till my last few days that I learned about how to properly address things like that, but statue of limitation had passed by then.

If they are going to beat people with rules and regulations they at minimum must provide a complete copy of said rules. If I had documented things more carefully I likely could have taken them to court.

And that is a problem. I want things to be fair, but also know there is some son of a lawyer that could exploit such a system to no end regardless of the educational aspects. I don't know how to force common sense as a rule or fully fix it, but certainly know the system is broken right now and I got some suggestion to improve it.

>> No.7733216

>undergrad
>get interested in chemistry
>do undergrad research in organic chem
>love it
>apply to grad schools tirelessly filling out applications and spending assloads of money of score reports, transcripts, and bullshit application fees
>get accepted to a decent school
>do 5 years of intense coursework and sleepless nights of research so I may one day teach undergrads about my passion
>graduate as PhD, apply for extremely competitive professorships
>by some miracle get accepted, spend the next 5+ years working my ass off to get tenured.
>achieve what many fail to do by becoming a tenured professor. Finally feel my dream is actualized.
>teaching a class happily, knowing at the college level everyone is here by choice despite paying thousands of dollars and is happy to learn
>notice a student not paying attention
>decide to politely remind him of the time, energy, and money he is wasting by not paying attention to the lecture
>"could you please put your phone away, anon?"
>"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY??? ILL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT THIS IS A SERVICE YOU ARE PROVIDING ME WHERE I AM THE CUSTOMER! UNIVERSITIES ARE NOTHING MORE THAN BUSINESSES THAT PROVIDE A SERVICE TO --ME!--. HAVENT YOU EVER HEARD OF THE PHRASE "THE CUSTOMER JS ALWAYS RIGHT"??? ITS NOT YOUR PLACE TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO! ILL DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT IN YOUR LECTURE AS LONG AS IM NOT DISTRACTING YOU!"

>> No.7733226

>>7733190
>It won't buy you intelligence,

Sure it can. People who are rich will have a better mind since they will go to the betters schools. Someone with mediocre intelligence is more likely to be smarter than your average guy since they are bred to go to the better schools.

>character or a curious mind, for instance.

With money, they'll have more opportunities to be exposed to many things. Essentially, they'll have a much more ample mind and character. If not, they can just hire someone to train them to fake it.

>Those things are a perquisite for a career in science though.

Guess who are more likely to get those science jobs? You think someone from CP Pomona is getting a job at NASA? Nope, someone who has the money to go to Harvard is taking those NASA jobs.

>> No.7733229

>>7733216
>>"could you please put your phone away, anon?"
Yeah that's where you fucked up. Obviously if someone is in a lecture by their own choice as an adult and they're looking at their phone they've simply decided whatever's on their phone is more important. You may disagree, but it isn't really your call to interrupt the lecture and demand they put their phone away.

>> No.7733231

>>7733216
This. Minus the fictional part where it is actually possible to get tenure.

>> No.7733237

>>7733229
>browsing /sci/ mid lecture and/or looking at a text is more important

L O L

>> No.7733238

>>7733226
Lol

>> No.7733242

>If I pay to go to college, they should just give me my degree.

I love watching people like you fail sophomore level courses.

>> No.7733253

>>7732932
>Fuck colleges and fuck their uppity ass lecturers.

Youhave it wrong--FUCK YOU ENTITLED TEENAGE PIECE OF SHITS.

You have no idea how distracting a student on their cell phone is to a lecturer. It completely destroys my train of thought. If you need to use your cell phone, have the decency to get up and leave the classroom.

>> No.7733262

>>7733096
>>take a gen ed
>>she takes attendance
>>whatever I'll just stay on phone
>>first day of class
>>yeah you can't be on your phones I'll take them away
>>ok whatever
>>put phone away
>>next lecture bring with me all my old phones and an I pod touch
>>start browsing the internet on my phone
>>she stops the entire lecture and tells me to put it away
>>tell her I'm good and hand her the phone
>>she has the smuggest look on her face
>>she takes ten minutes to fill out a piece of paper work for the phone
>>two second later
>>whip out another one
>>I can see the rage building up within her
>>anon please put your phone away
>>say nah I'm good and hand her the phone again
>>she fills out a piece of paper work again now wasting 20 minutes
>>everyone in the class is dead silent
>>after she starts up again I pull out another cellphone
>>she loses her shit
>>YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY! YOU CAN LEAVE IF I'M SO BORING TO YOU ANON.
>>explain to her why it's stupid to even bother taking students phones and that she's wasting time
>>hand her my phone again
>>spend another 10 minutes filling out a piece of paper work
>>take out my Ipod touch after that
>>she just closes her laptop and leaves the room and says that class is ending early today
>>mostly because she was about to have a stroke

You would have failed my class on general principles. I would have made your exams so fucking hard that you would have never passed. And I would nothave passed the exams backs to the students just so that you could not see that your exam was different from everybody else's exam. You think you're being a smart ass, but think about it. With what you have described, do you really think these are the traits of a good student? Why are you wasting taxpayer's money to sit in that classroom.

>> No.7733269

>>7733147
>If you want to quiz me, put it online instead of wasting class time.

Perhaps you just are not cut out for grad school.

>> No.7733334

>all these triggered grad students and asslicking TAs
Fucking kek

I fuck with lecturers all the time, and I've got a 3.9 at UCB

If they accepted me, and I'm paying for it, they better fucking deal with me. Fucking liberal faggots. Keep up the good work, OP

>> No.7733353

>>7733262
Shoo shoo, cuck. Stay salty that people don't immediately bow down to your presence, while still acing your piss easy class at some shitty, sub-top-5 state school, that I paid for. If I wasn't going to Cal Tech, I wouldn't honor any of my classes with my interest, especially fucking general ed.

Maybe make your class worth listening to and respecting, and I'll grace you with some ounce of attention after I completely demolish your pathetic coursework.

>> No.7733368
File: 21 KB, 379x379, douche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7733226
Wow, what a douche.

>> No.7733369

>>7733269
Nah bro, I think I'm okay. My adviser has given me a fully funded R01 to get up and running so I just have my priorities straight. I don't gain anything out taking a 10-15 minutes quiz on a problem that takes 2 minutes to solve which depends on whether or not you remembered a formula.

>> No.7733372

Academics mostly lecture because they have to or because it inflates their ego. They're losers.

>> No.7733379

>>7732932
Stop showcasing your anti-social tendencies.

>> No.7733380

>>7732972
The issue that a lot of state unis are having, particularly with wealthier and international students, is that a lot of them are skipping entire semesters-worth of lectures and then flunking.
Lecture attendance does have an impact on performance, and it shows with transfer students (who rarely, if ever, miss lectures).
>I am an adult it is my prerogative whetehr (sic) to turn up or not.
You're right of course, and it's their prerogative to pass or fail you, which is why you're bitching here and not at your admins.

>> No.7733389

>>7732987
Fucking. This.

>> No.7733391

>>7732987
>Part of your end of the deal is not acting like a ridiculous baby.
Unless you're a humanities major with money.
Then you can stand in the middle of Harvard or whatever and scream at professors until they quit.

>> No.7733396

>>7732932

I agree OP, as long as you're not disturbing those around you. I assume you aren't chatting on your phone?

You pay to go to a concert. "Hey you in the third row! Yes you!! Put that cell phone away and listen to me play this cello!"

>> No.7733402

>>7732932
Anyone can sit in a lecture hall, OP. You're paying for the opportunity to earn a degree, which means doing whatever the fuck the faculty tells you to assuming the major program is accredited. They don't 'owe' you anything else. They're afraid that if they allow cell phone use then some folks will take advantage like having conversations or listening to music in class, which can be distracting for everyone else, and it's hard to tell exactly what each student is up to in athe lecture hall.

>> No.7733403

Obviously I think that you should be respectful during lectures but university snobbery drives me nuts as well. Academia can be such a massive fucking circlejerk. So many people get PhDs for vain reasons.

The lecture is such an outdated model of learning. The only reason I ever actually attended lectures was to get administrative information and to get my face out there. I never actually learned anything from lectures.

>> No.7733406

>>7732932
It's a matter of respect.
You are there to learn from someone who knows more on a subject than you, and you are expected to show gratitude until their credentials fail to meet guidelines of what should, and shouldn't be a professor. You will have professors who don't meet your guidelines, but as long as you have reasonable ones you will only meet maybe 2 or 3.

>> No.7733419

What drives me nuts is when professors expect you to be there for every lecture and yet they will be completely disorganized and unprepared for class.

Or lecturers who refuse to post their notes. Posting notes online would obviously enhance the students learning but they don't do it because they'd rather see students show up to satisfy their own vanity. The learning of the students is less important than following the procedure of an outdated learning model.

Also what kind of retard needs things spelled out for them in person. I don't need the information literally spoonfed to me. Lectures are a colossal waste of time.

>> No.7733426

>>7733419
>Or lecturers who refuse to post their notes.
Or not posting last semester's lectures for people to watch ahead and similar fuckery.
>no no you have to do it at this pace

>> No.7733427

>>7732932
I don't know, is your education partially funded with tax money? Then that means they are pretty much counting on the fact that you are going to graduate and the lecturer has a responsibility to make sure you do, within reasonable bounds. Telling you to put away your phone is reasonable. So it really depends. I agree with you if your education is wholly funded by you and you're not reducing other people's chances of graduating.

>> No.7733434

>>7733426
Yeah shit like that demonstrates that the learning of the students is ultimately trumped by meaningless ceremony. It's all so fucking sentimental.

>> No.7733439

>>7733427
Yes all education is partially subsidized and yes you are wasting the nation's money if you fuck around.

>> No.7733442

I was once in a class where the professor prowled around the room of 100+ students while she spoke, looking over shoulders at laptop screens, and calling people out if it 'looked like' they weren't taking notes.

The primary focus of the lecture was to ensure that she was being paid attention to for every second of the hour and a half period. The secondary focus was teaching the material. It was hard for her to effectively communicate while we couldn't see her and her disembodied voice floated around the room. Not to mention there was no use of the whiteboard or overhead due to her usual distance from the front of the room.

She made sure to remind us over and over that she "didn't need to be there" because she was a successful professional in the field and the lectures were simply her doing us a favor.

This was at a four year public university.

>> No.7733454

>>7733439
Except for private schools.

>> No.7733456

>>7733454
No, private schools receive shittons of public grants and funding, often more than public. Probably less is going directly to undergrads, but some of it is by the fact that the equipment a department buys is used to teach undergrads or allow them to do research in senior year or whatever.

>> No.7733462

>>7733456
Well that makes things easier then. OP is a waste of money in all cases!

>> No.7733465

>>7733442
What class, dare I ask?

>> No.7733469

>>7733406
Yeah, I'm am saddened on a daily basis by the ME-ME-ME-ME special snowflake attitude of Millennials, who think the world is there for them to do whatever the fuck they please.

In LIFE, you sometimes have to sit still and be respectful even when you're bored. If you can't handle it in a lecture hall, good luck whipping out that phone in a job interview or presentation from your work group. education is about more than learning the subject matter; it's about interacting properly with people, something today's crop of NEETs knows far too little about.

I might suggest an online "university" for you if you find it so impossible to unhook from your screen addiction for an hour.

>> No.7733475

>>7733434
I hate to tell you, but "meaningless ceremony" is a big part of the working world and life in general. You will stand out like an antisocial reject if you don't learn this young.

>> No.7733483

>>7733469
>I might suggest an online "university" for you if you find it so impossible to unhook from your screen addiction for an hour.
I would actually pay twice as much for a decently respected online school, even if it were only half as respected. Yes I'd pay 4x more for the convenience.

>> No.7733485

>>7732932
How's CC going OP?

Thank god I live in Europe.

>> No.7733493

>>7733475
I'm well aware of that anon

Thanks for your feeble attempt at a life lesson though. I hope it gave you a fleeting feeling of superiority.

>> No.7733500

I'm reading over the syllabus for a class I signed up for in Spring as an elective.

Here are some key phrases that caught my attention. Are they red flags?

>"This is a challenging and extremely useful course..."

>"Please complete the assignments individually; work with others is strictly forbidden."

>"Please note that the use of any other source beside class notes and your textbook will result in a zero on the question asked."

Is the lecturer arbitrarily handcuffing people in order to keep up the wannabe Math 55 aura? I go to a shit school so it's not like any prestige will come of this.

>> No.7733503

To all you retards saying that someone is wasting the state's money by not attending lectures, you're wrong.

The idiot who needs the information fucking spoonfed to them is the one wasting the state's money.

If anon ends up with a higher mark in the course and ultimately becomes more proficient in the subject, he'll represent optimal allocation of state funds. The fucking idiots who slow down the pace of learning in the lecture are the ones who are wasting money.

>> No.7733505

>>7732932
>Americans are so pussified that lecturers actually have control of them outside of grading
>Americans treat lecturers as literal prison wardens that can do anything they want
Fucking lol

American academia is a joke. Students and only students have the power here, as it should be

>> No.7733507
File: 1.56 MB, 250x188, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wow, a good chuck of this thread seems to fail at a very simple distinction.
So let me put it out here very simply

knowledge =/= intelligence

Also we as a society should be honest about what they want from college. We say

college = intelligence
college = money
college = job
college = knowledge
college = ...

but then we also know from experience that

knowledge =/= job =/= money =/= intelligence =/= ...

that line of reasoning does not compute, despite there being some correlation

It is not hard to develop programs to meet our needs, IF we properly declare what those are and adjust accordingly.

Saying "college" as some solution to all of life's problems is just creating more problems.

>> No.7733529

>>7733500

Should have taken engineering. All past exams with solutions on microfiche, all exams open book, all calculators allowed, actually building things in the real world, actual career path, legally defined profession, Washington accords.

>> No.7733642

>>7733503
>posting in /sci
>can't logic

>> No.7733651
File: 23 KB, 381x390, 1446213660617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>lecturers
No, no, no, you little shit. Those are "professors."
Getting into a good school is a privilege some people would die for. If you have a problem with the curriculum, fuck off.

>> No.7733652

>>7732932
One day you will learn your place. Hope it's well before the end of your semester.

>> No.7733659

>>7733187
This uppity nigger gets even better
>Email him about some task we had to do
>His reply has no mention of the task instead its a rant about how I should address him the proper way when emailing him, start with "Dear Mr Fudgepacker", end with "Your devoted cocksucker" etc etc
Fuck posh universities.

>> No.7733670

>>7733406
>Show gratitude that someone is actually doing their job
America everyone.

>> No.7733679

>>7733196
I have realized in life that the best way to put someone acting superior back in their place is to threaten to sue them. This will shut up anyone no matter how high up. My head of department threatened to kick me out of the university simply because I said I wanted to switch majors because I was unhappy with his course so I responded by threatening legal action, made up wealthy family members and all sorts. Never heard from that pussyhole in person again. He preferred to take the coward's way by speaking to me through a representative after that.

>> No.7733696

>>7733679
You make me sad.

>> No.7734119

>>7733679
Absolutely based.

>> No.7734394
File: 43 KB, 960x528, 1449559486587.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2*10^3+5+4+3+2+1
>attending lectures
shiggy

>> No.7734437

>>7732932
you have no idea

my shitty uni math class couldnt even collect/grade hw because of "financial problems" so the whole semester only like 3 hws were collected and graded by completion.

>> No.7734519

>>7733485
>ignoring that european universities are essentially the same thing as our CC

>> No.7734554

>>7733262
glad to know profs are so willing to destroy their academic integrity for being butthurt over phones

>> No.7734580

>>7733651
>something you've personally earned is a privilege
>everyone teaching at university is a professor
well aren't you a dumb faggot

>> No.7734615

To anyone defending the professors, if attendance is mandatory, you are wrong.
And to professors who make the grade based on more then a couple tests, please quit punishing smart people.

To anyone defending phone use, don't be a dick, just leave.

>> No.7734917

>>7732973

I agree that a patronising lecturer can be annoying, but asking students to put away their phones is quite reasonable, and in so doing, the lecturer is trying to help you get the most out of the lecture.

When I was at uni (a damn fine Red Brick/Russell Group uni too) I met plenty of people who were unbelievably immature, so I can understand why some lecturers feel the need to behave like this. One group of guys talked to each other all the way through EVERY Calculus lecture for the whole course. Our lecturer there didnt give a damn, and didn't seperate them or anything, but I wish he had, cos they annoyed the shit out of everyone.

The more awful thing about OP is this treating it like a consumer experience. Education is education, you should be glad and meek that you're able to learn from someone at the height of their field. Just because you pay tuition fees doesn't mean you can treat the staff like shit and demand them to be nice to you.

>> No.7735000

>>7734917
>you should be glad and meek that you're able to learn from someone at the height of their field

Well this isn't always exactly true. Sure some lecturers are in fact at the height of their field but some really suck. Sometimes even the lecturers worth their salt don't even lecture on a subject they actually know or care about.

>The more awful thing about OP is this treating it like a consumer experience.

It totally is though... it wasn't like this in the past but that's totally what its become now.

That being said, education isn't really something you can buy.

>> No.7735057

>>7733353
With that attitude you deserve to be barred from schools and forced into manual labor.

>> No.7735069

>attending lectures on microchip-programming
>professor just showing around some 101 stuff
>c, assembler, manuals, architecture - no single fuck given, no red string
>in the end it always comes down to 95% teaching yourself the stuff
>in the end, most lectures are just wasted time
>"Oh? I dunno either. Let's look it up at the documentation."

>> No.7735077

OP makes a great point actually. Obviously if someone is causing a disturbance and ruining it for everyone else, the lecturer is well within their rights to POLITELY and RESPECTFULLY do something about it.

A simple "Excuse me, can you please quiet down because it's really difficult for the other students to hear otherwise? Thank you" will suffice.

Anything less is absolutely unacceptable towards any human being let alone towards someone who has paid to be there.

>> No.7735079

>>7733670
Do Americans tip their lecturers? Or clap when it's over?

>> No.7735104

The amount of authoritarian behaviour in this thread is ridiculous.

So glad I never went to College, you only get two things:
idiotic children trying to justify their posistion to their "superiors" who have no decency
"superiors" who still teach in unis even though all they get are whining crybabies who'd rather be tweeting or smoking pot than studying, which makes them angry and then they flip out on all students.

All for becoming a code monkey, and something you could do in two months at home with a library pass at a hundredth of the cost instead of four years (and two years of retarded faggotry and essays in HS) of brain damage and either your parents paying for it or you getting into debt.

If you go to uni/college or, worse, TEACH, remeber that you are worthless.

>> No.7735111

>>7735104
>thinking the only reason people go to college is to get a qualification which will enable them to earn money
LMAO!

Going to college is about learning how to socialize, how to network, how to deal with elite members of society and elite members of whatever field it is you study in. It's about learning how to act and dress. It's about going to functions and dinner parties. It's about developing yourself from a clueless punk kid into an sophisticated adult over 3-4 years. It's about women finding a husband, or at least finding out what she wants in a husband. It's about making friends for life. The right sort of friends.

Why do you think colleges are full of people who are already multi-millionaires? You think they give a shit about the subject they are studying? You think they really give a fuck about their 'job prospects'?

Your naivety is embarrassing.

>> No.7735113

>>7732932
You probably go to a religious college, or you're black.

>> No.7735115

>>7735111
>your naviety is embarrasing

yeah, I'm not a butt-kisser, that's why.

>> No.7735117

>>7735104
You also get a lot of reasonable, intelligent people. In fact, that's the majority of people.
> two months at home
No, your trivial Javascripting abilities are not equivalent to a four year degree.

>> No.7735118

>>7735117
yeah, like there just aren't any books for the higher level courses.

Stop justifying your wasted money and worthless job.

>> No.7735124

>>7733334
>If they accepted me, and I'm paying for it, they better fucking deal with me. Fucking liberal faggots.

Sounds to me like YOU'RE THE LIBERAL FAGGOT.

>> No.7735128

>>7733334
>Having a high-school mentality

That's precisely the point "grad students and asslicking TAs " are making.

You aren't standing up against some authority figure so drop "look at me I'm le edgy rebel xDD" act because no one gives a fuck. The lecturers are just people like you. You are being a cunt to them for no reason. You signed a contract defining your conduct and they have a contract telling them if they want to keep their job as a researcher they have to lecture to retards.

>> No.7735129

>>7735124
This.
>Acting like the university or the government owes you anything.

Fuck off.

>> No.7735136

>>7734554
>glad to know profs are so willing to destroy their academic integrity for being butthurt over phones

And don't you forget it asshole.
Maybe next time you'll think twice before pulling out that precious little phone of yours.

>> No.7735139

>>7735118
> books
Oh god, like that has anything to do with anything. It's a matter of experience. Practice, improved by professional guidance. You can't possibly believe that after two months of kludging blindly along you can have nearly the knowledge of someone who has had four years of dedicated training. The arrogance!

You're the intellectual equivalent of one of those retards who walks into a martial arts club for the first time, having seen the last UFC card and a few episodes of Naruto, and thinks he's going to beat up on all the black belts.

>> No.7735141

>>7733353
>Shoo shoo, cuck. Stay salty that people don't immediately bow down to your presence, while still acing your piss easy class at some shitty, sub-top-5 state school, that I paid for. If I wasn't going to Cal Tech, I wouldn't honor any of my classes with my interest, especially fucking general ed.
>Maybe make your class worth listening to and respecting, and I'll grace you with some ounce of attention after I completely demolish your pathetic coursework.

Maybe a "safe space" would help out a precious little sensitive piece of shit like you?
And maybe some tissues?

>> No.7735143
File: 50 KB, 1359x704, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7735136

>> No.7735144

>>7732932
Faggiest excuse for faggotry i've ever seen

>> No.7735145

>>7734917
>I wish he had, cos they annoyed the shit out of everyone.
THIS. And fuck you, OP. I'm paying to learn, too, and I have to work hard for that money. Your fucking around on mommy and daddy's dime is getting in the way of that.

>> No.7735146

>>7735139
sure thing, buddy

sure thing.

>> No.7735147

>>7733679
Ha ha ha I would laugh in your face. In fact, I may have done so in the past. I hope so.

>> No.7735149

>>7735139
Just ignore him.

That's another important thing University teachers you.

Humility.

The faggot you're talking to has never been tested on anything difficult in his life and he will probably never get the chance to.

>> No.7735150

>>7733353
>Maybe make your class worth listening to and respecting, and I'll grace you with some ounce of attention after I completely demolish your pathetic coursework.

Reading the comments here, it must make you feel wonderful that so many of your fellow students recognize you for the faggot that you are.

>> No.7735153

>>7733679
>I have realized in life that the best way to put someone acting superior back in their place is to threaten to sue them. This will shut up anyone no matter how high up. My head of department threatened to kick me out of the university simply because I said I wanted to switch majors because I was unhappy with his course so I responded by threatening legal action, made up wealthy family members and all sorts. Never heard from that pussyhole in person again. He preferred to take the coward's way by speaking to me through a representative after that.

Threatening to sue because he found a course to challenging for him.
So many kids today are such pussies.

Maybe you should have requested a safe space.

>> No.7735156

>>7735149
yeah, it teaches you to bend down and take a whipping even when it's not your fault.

>> No.7735164

>>7735156
No, I'm talking about the fact that you think you can master an entire discipline in two months.

If you continuously do coursework problems for every waking hour for two months you would still not have passed the 10% margin of the total work you need to put in.

You skimmed over the texts, thought you understood it, but you've never written an exam to test if you truly understand, to identify and iron out your weak points.

And that is why society doesn't give you an engineering license. Not because bureaucracy. Not because "Jews". But because when we let arrogant idiots design things people die.

>University is about jumping through hoops

No it's like I said much earlier in the thread (don't fucking pitch to business meetings if you don't want to get anything done) no one there gives a flying fuck about you. It's ironic that only the NEETs and these "le rebel kid xD" types are the ones who think university faculty are some type of father figure. They are just people. Students are there to study their discipline, they have to do so under the university policies since they signed a contract. Faculty delivers lectures. You are a student number to faculty, you will only ever be anything more if you grab a beer with them in the evening like an adult. But no you think the faculty is your fucking dad/high-school teacher.

So you behave like unprofessional, disrespectful little shit. It says a lot about YOU. It doesn't say anything about the lecturer.

>> No.7735173

>>7732932
We can play on our smartphones, laptops, drink water, maybe even eat although I'm not sure. The important part is that you're quiet.
In most my lectures, nobody is loud, but in my calculus lecture there's like 200 people, and sometimes they randomly start talking loudly, the teacher is like uhh.. can you be silent please? Else I'll have to ask you to leave.
And then they're quiet

>> No.7735176

>>7735164
>goalposts
>moving them

>> No.7735191

>>7735057
>>7735141
Thanks for the (You)s, lads. I'll keep acing my classes and calling you worthless fucks out. I bet you're not even professors. Seriously, do you actually think that the students owe you anything past earning a decent grade?

Jesus christ. This is why Western Civilization is so fucked. It's become a safe space for entitled, whiny SJW faggots that expect to be pampered by everyone around them.

>>7735150
Most of the people here go to shitty, irrelevant state schools, so it just sort of makes me chuckle. In fact, a good chunk of my peers actually share the same mentality. It's not worth my time to appease dime-a-dozen lecturers, especially when they're absolute nobodies. This isn't high school, anymore. On the other hand, good, renowned professors get my respect and attention, and I make sure to be active during lectures and office hours, whenever that's the case.

>> No.7735206

>>7733262
holy shit, if this isn't bait, i'm amazed

behold /sci/. this is what happens to every professor that couldn't make it big with contributions/discoveries. they lash out at the students instead, to nurse their wounded egos and feel like they still matter. i'm glad that none of my profs are like you, and are actually important in their fields

>> No.7735211

>>7735206
>behold /sci/. this is what happens to every professor that couldn't make it big with contributions/discoveries. they lash out at the students instead, to nurse their wounded egos and feel like they still matter. i'm glad that none of my profs are like you, and are actually important in their fields

Let me inform you.
I have papers published in Nature and PNAS.
I was the Professor of the year at my college last year.
Sorry that you fail to recognize when a decent professor stands up to the undisciplined liberal swine that is infesting our universities nowadays. There is at least one classroom in which you will not win. You should be thrilled that there are a few of us still remaining.

>> No.7735215

>>7735176
>faggot
>being one

>> No.7735217

>>7735211
holy shit get off your high horse dude.

No one cares that you're published in Nature. You're just some faggot who wasn't good enough in the industry so you went back to the safety of academia.

>> No.7735223

>>7735217
>Being this retarded.

Professors at good universities have salaries in excess of 200k per year, even at shitty unis they earn 6 figures. This is still pennies to most of my profs who own their own manufacturing companies anyway.

Your assumption that they're losers is childishly naive. They are the smartest and most successful people in the field. You need quality industry connections to get tenure in the first place.

Of course this does not apply to "adjunct professors" and "lecturers" who teach the shitty courses no one wants to do. Those people really are losers.

>> No.7735308

>>7733041
Blame the baby boomers. Bunch of soft cunts

>> No.7735332

>>7735191
shut up faggot no one cares

>> No.7735346

>arab students in lecture
>one is loudly translating for the other
>professor tells them to knock it off, suggests that they shouldn't be on the course if they can't understand English
>is fired for racism

>> No.7735356

Adjuncts and grad students, that's who I s teaching you fools. Professors who are a big deal in their field can buy their way out of teaching with their grant money. As an undergrad you probably won't ever even see them.

>> No.7735393

>>7732932

Someday, OP will actually need a professor for something. And then he will realize that soft skills, despite the unfortunate name, are in fact very important in life.

OP (troll) is correct about the transactional nature of the post-secondary teacher/student arrangement. He is incorrect that this gives him license not to show basic respect if a teacher wants to run a class in a particular, completely reasonable way. It is completely, one hundred percent reasonable for a professor to have the students put their fucking phones away for an hour or two, and millennials could do with being told these types of things by adults once in a while. But of course they aren't, fathers are absent half the time, and in fairness most non-STEM professors have been filling their heads with garbage for the past 50 years, with the result that now the inmates are running the asylum.

But that angle aside, let's come at it from the other direction: some PhD in her/his 50s doesn't have to take your shit. If the subject being taught has value, there will always be another pile of students. No one put a gun to your head and said that you had to go to college.

>> No.7735400
File: 15 KB, 268x326, Robert_Hjalmar_Mellin_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Finland
>Have something to ask my graduate studies instructor
>Just walk into his office
>"Jarno(his first name) have a sec?"
>Jarno has always a sec, even though in reality he never has, but is a bro tier guy
>I, other grad students, and professors have often dinner and coffee together

>Aboard in the US of A
>Professors are treated as some kind of supreme overlords
>have to take fucking appointments to ask simple stuff
>have to refer to them as "Mr/s Professor", or get super dirty looks
>can't even reply to emails properly
>they have their own cabinets they circle jerk in the cafeteria

I prefer the cold North in this matter.

>> No.7735408

>>7735346

And for good reason.

>> No.7735424

>>7733262
why the fuck did you quote the entire story?

dumb nigger retard, u aint no prof and never will be

>> No.7735426

>>7735408
attempting to avoid a race fueled frivolous lawsuit for something which, while politically incorrect, makes perfect sense, is practical, and not racist to any degree?

They don't have the prerequisites for the course (speaking the language the course is taught in) and they are disruptive to the ENTIRE class

>> No.7735427

>>7735393
>for something
kek

>>7735223
>need quality industry connections to get tenure in the first place.
Look and laugh, people. He licks butts. Look and laugh.

>> No.7735429

>>7735426
Racism is NEVER okay.

>> No.7735431

>>7735427
Come on now, there's nothing wrong with a little brown tonguing if it means you'll be making 300k.

>> No.7735444

>>7735431
>Money is more important than integrity
Typical academic. You people really are the bottom of the barrel.

>> No.7735563
File: 16 KB, 342x430, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7735444
checked and agreed

>> No.7735569
File: 2.36 MB, 400x299, 1449843527262.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7732932
>he thinks teacher at colleges give a fuck if you are listening or not

still in school huh

>> No.7735907

This thread is amazing. Are all Americans this fucking stupid or do you suffer from a delusional sense of entitlement?

>> No.7736132

It's just weird of schoolish American classes are.

Attendance, small classes etc

>> No.7736169
File: 993 KB, 250x250, chuckle.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7732954

>> No.7736178

>>7732954
Excuse me, sir, but I sense that your comment may contain an amount of sarcasm that tickles my fancy, and I would like to comment upon it. Nothing else.

>> No.7736185

>>7732992
Even if he overpaid you in advance?

>> No.7736213

>>7733003
>He is employed as a researcher, not a lecturer.
Not OP, but I take issue with this as a response to OP's question. For one, if he's not employed as a lecturer, then why should he care if a student checks their phone in a lecture? Secondly, most people ARE being paid by the university to teach. Sometimes they are researchers as well, but that's not always the case. Either way they are getting paid to teach, whether or not you or anyone thinks it's and outdated system.
>If you scrapped all lectures at every university nothing much would change because that is not an important function of university at all and university is supposed to be self-study anyway.
What? There are plenty of classes where lectures are just as necessary as the texts.

>> No.7737336

>>7735569
Right... Except a good amount do.

>> No.7737349

Do you use your phone and talk in the middle of a movie?

If so, you're a shitty person. Lecturers are essentially movies that can actively remind you and everybody around you that you are being a complete shithead.

>> No.7737394
File: 73 KB, 577x543, 1427551745740.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7735429

>> No.7737418

>>7737349
>I get mad at people eating popcorn and laughing in the cinema

>> No.7737422

>>7732932
Unless you go to a university for retards, most scientific academics will subsidise themselves primarily through research grants, not teaching fees.

A single student is not their be-all-and-end-all.

Even if you go to a mediocre shit college where none of the lecturers do any research, they still are not reliant on you in particular .

>> No.7737439

>>7737422
>most scientific academics will subsidise themselves primarily through research grants, not teaching fees.
Well that sucks for them.

>mfw 200 people would only have to pay $4k ea / yr to hire 4 lecturers (each taking 1 subject / semester) for the year each of them earning $200k/yr

>> No.7737462

>>7732932

Entitled piece of shit. Have some fucking respect and learn from people who are older and much more accomplished than you. It's rare that a professor will have a problem with checking your phone, but if he does, it means you're breaking his concentration.

>> No.7737465
File: 398 KB, 500x569, 1446852433418.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7737439
hey good point wow all the fluff whoda thunk

>> No.7737469

>>7737462
>blah blah blah be grateful the guy you're paying is doing his job
There are literally millions of people who would kill to replace these entitled seniles.

>> No.7737737

>>7735000

> it wasn't like this in the past but that's totally what its become now.

that's what I'm decrying. It doesn't have to be, it's down to the attitude you take towards it.

Seems lots of people have a very warped expectation of higher education, which leads to statements like OP's. High tuition fees exacerbate this perception, for sure.

What these people need to remember is that University isn't all about the piece of paper you get when you leave, it's about the experience of immersing yourself in a truly didactic experience, and realising the latent value of inquisitive thought! That people are seeing it purely as about getting a grade and a job is sad.

I had 3 friends who studied Philosophy at the same Uni, one of whom did a law conversion and is training to be a barrister, the other two work in call centres. None of them regret their choice of degree, because it's taught them all sorts of intangible life skills.