[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 343x147, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7674942 No.7674942 [Reply] [Original]

Should I study pure Maths or Computer Science at University?

I enjoy Maths more but would I earn more money in Computer Science?

>> No.7674970

>>7674942

Eh it You go for pure math you can work of the nsa or some government agency.

I think it's still easier to get highered as a cs guy tho

>> No.7674972

>>7674942
Why not both?

>> No.7674979

Graduate in maths but learn programming in and out by your own

>> No.7674992

>>7674942
Pure math. Anything else is pleb teir.

>> No.7675097

>>7674942

Just do a double major. Ignore the autists on /sci/ saying to only major in pure mathematics.

>> No.7675135

>>7674942
>Study pure maths and take the right electives (computer science ones)
>Graduate
>Your math degree is recognized by all software companies. You can now also work at the NSA, work in banks, or keep going up and specialize un actuarial math or comp sci or even specialize in topics only pure math students are accepted in.
>Live a happy life

>Study Computer Science
>Try not to kill yourself when you listen your class mates talking about how Calc I is massacre and how they just want to be indie game devs.
>Graduate
>Get funneled into only software jobs or only comp sci masters/PhDs.
>Live a miserable life.

Your choice OP.

>>7675097
People who do double majors are the biggest autists in the world.

I'm a pure math student and on the past summer I got a technical degree for various programming languages from a technical school. That is my math/comp sci double major right there.

If you actually do a double major then you are an autist no life faggot who will attempt suicide multiple times but fail because you are so retarded you cannot even succeed at killing yourself.
Kill yourself, anon.

>> No.7675140

>>7675135
viper, kill yourself my man

>> No.7675145

>>7674942
computational science is your best option. That's what I do, and its great.

>> No.7675163

>Google computer science curriculum
>Read it. Bunch of code monkey shit like "Object Oriente Programming I"
>Go to the end of it
>Find this:

The following courses, while not required, are highly recommended:
— Probability
— Linear Algebra

>NOT REQUIRED
>PROBABILITY
>LINEAR ALGEBRA
>NOT
>REQUIRED
>NOT FUCKING REQUIRED

Let that sink in, CS sympathizers. If you were to go right now to your CS friend that is a senior student and ask him if X is a vector space he wouldn't know.

Why is this?
Pure mathematics takes linear algebra
Applied mathematics takes linear algebra
All engineerings take linear algebra
Physics, biology, chemistry take linear algebra

Liberal arts don't take linear algebra

Computer Science = Liberal Art

QED.

>> No.7675181
File: 233 KB, 718x450, Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 20.16.31.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7675163
Banach Space

>> No.7675182
File: 354 KB, 1200x800, GOAT_goats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7674942

Neither, goatology is the only good choice.

>> No.7675187

>>7675140
u mispelled urself

>> No.7675195

We'll I cant speak for Maths majors, but I am studying physics and learning to code on the side. It's piss. So go pure math, learn to code, make a portfolio and jobs a good un

>> No.7675199

Go for applied math, i.e. numerics and stuff.

You'll spend the first part of your studies with the pure math folk to get the theory and then can solve the stuff that is too difficult for the pure math autists with computers.

My mate went this route and he aces every CS course he takes and programs better than any of the CS faggots, while knowing his shit about the theory behind the stuff he does.

Companies will literally suck his dick to implement efficient navier-stokes approximation algorithms.

>> No.7675217

>>7675182

drink sulfuric acid my man

>> No.7675222

>>7674942
I did what >>7674979 said. Studied math because I enjoyed it. Learned programming to give me an employable edge. Got a nice SW engineering job right out of college. I work along side a shit ton of CS grads. So did my choice ultimately matter? Only in the >>7675135 sense.

All that said, the quality of CS grads I work with heavly depends on the school they went to. Some know their shit. Others graduated from no name schools and can't even talk basic design patterns, have no idea what a DAG is, and can't into basic math. See>>7675135. CS curriculums are all over the place in terms of quality. I learned all that stuff thinking ANY CS student goes over those things. I was wrong. A part of me dies inside every time one of my colleagues with CS degrees asks me about design patterns.

>> No.7675267

>>7675222
I have no background knowledge in programming at all, so do you think doing pure Maths and cs electives will get me enough of a knowledge incomputer science to be competent?

>> No.7675280

>>7675135
>mad as fuck because the obvious and easy choice to double major in math and CS ruined his narrative

>> No.7675283

>>7675163
What the fuck are you going on about? Every CS curriculum requires linear algebra (and probability and stats for that matter, to the other anon)

>> No.7675288

You will be working for 40 years. Do what you enjoy.

>> No.7675332

>>7675283

Bachelor of Arts in CodeMonkey Studies from UT Austin does not require Linear Algebra.

No linear algebra required in Electrical Science and Engineering (6-1), Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (6-2) or Computer Science and Engineering (6-3) at MIT [It is an option with differential equations as the other choice].

https://www.eecs.mit.edu/academics-admissions/undergraduate-programs/course-6-3-computer-science-and-engineering

>> No.7675338

>>7675283
Source:
http://www.ncf.edu/computational-science/computational-science-curriculum

Just scroll down and you will find the bit I was talking about.

And some extra data to let you know how fucked up this is. This school is ranked #4 for the BEST public universities in the United States.

>>7675280
What do you mean? My criticism against doing a double major was not about it being bad when it comes to jobs. Of course that if you do a double major you may (strong MAY here with like 50 asterisks) have better chances at a job. But the truth is:

A lot of Software Developers are not even college educated. A lot of people get hired for just having a good portfolio with nice code to show of. You do not need a CS degree.

And my conclusion for this was that double majoring in CS was useless because you would be taking roughly double the classes to have in the end rougly the same chance of landing a good software engineering job.

Why would you go through the hell of taking a fuckload of classes per semester when in reality it won't help you advance your career.

Just knowing to program will land you a job.
Knowing to program + having a college degree in something related to programming will increase your chances of your employer taking your application seriously and will put you above anyone with no degree.
Having two bachelors is useless.
Having a bachelors and a masters or PhD is another story. This will probably get the higher paying jobs no sweat.

>> No.7675345

>>7675163
>Vector space

I am in high school and that is a part of my curriculum. Am I missing out on something?

>> No.7675348

>>7675345
>Am I missing out on something?
You are. We were studying Banach Spaces, Banach vectors, Banach rings, Banach fields, Banach topology and Banach algebra in high school.

>> No.7675356

>>7675332
Cs at UT Austin does require Linear Algebra you sperg
Source: My roomies is in CS here. I'm in computational physics

>> No.7675357

>>7675267
Depends on the amount of electives. From my experience, if a math major has the equivalent knowledge of intro to programming 1 and 2, data structures and algorithms, design patterns, and parallel computing, a strong grasp of an OO language and a functional language, then they are highly competitive in the job market and more versatile than a basic CS major is. If you take electives or self study that's up to you.

>> No.7675968

>>7675163

Where is this? Every CS degree I've seen requires those. And every CS degree I've seen takes more math than bio and chem combined.

Are you in Australia or the UK or something?

>> No.7675973

>>7675338

It depends where you are. There's a pretty big overlap between the two degrees, and depending on your school the electives of one degree are pretty much the core coures of the other one. I've doing a CS/Math degree and I take the same amount of courses total compared to doing either a Math degree or a CS degree by itself, the only difference is that 95% of my courses are CS or Math, so I don't really have the choice (not that I'd want to) of taking random electives in non-CS/Math places.

>> No.7676056

>>7674942

You do not need a CS degree to get CS jobs

>> No.7676130

>>7676056

Many universities (e.g. MIT, Berkeley, Michigan) have CS in the engineering school with the major officially called EECS or CSE though. Don't you want to have the knowledge that you are a licensed professional engineer with your PE license that only engineering majors can get and a PE stamp with the "sanction of the king"?

Well probably not.

>> No.7676139

>>7676130

EECS and CSE are just other names for CpE.

CS should be abolished as an undergraduate major.

>> No.7676314

Math

>> No.7677036

>>7674970
>>7675135
why is working for the NSA so important? the money? if your in it for the money than fuck math and get a PhD in some business field and move to wall street

>> No.7677046

>>7675163
My uni requires both of these for a CS degree

>> No.7677063

>>7675163
Every good CS major will minor in math anyway

>> No.7677158

>>7674942
Do both. Take CS with a backbone of math.

>> No.7677285

>>7677036
I have no idea about the money and I'm not mentioning the NSA because it is important. It is simply a good example for pure math only jobs. The math department will ONLY accept pure math graduates. My points is that CS does not have CS exclusive careers. All a CS guy does can be done by someone else in Math, Physics, CE, EE, etc.

>>7677046
Your uni.

>>7677063
True.

>> No.7677301

>>7677036
They're often way ahead of google. No one knows what they do but it is rumor that they have a quantum computer. They had a hacking group called the equation group. These guys wrote all the advanced worms and cyber tools for the NSA. Wrote a malware that embedded itself in major hard drive manufacturers. This is also the group that tore google security a new asshole. China eventually did the same in 2010.

>> No.7677344

Computer science. Because math will help you become great in computer science and maybe if you are smat enough do some inovative stuff. Good luck.

>> No.7678773

3rd year mathfag here
I find it funny how everyone complains that cs students don't have to take linear algebra, while then using the argument that if you're doing a math degree you can just study cs on the side.
Linear algebra is not hard at all, if you want to study cs, do it and then you can pick up a linear algebra textbook and learn it on the side.

>> No.7678815

>>7674942
Studying pure math is like choosing to study art and be an artist. If you absolutely love it to the point that you are willing to sacrifice your quality of life and devote everything to this, then go for it. If not, consider something else that seems interesting to you.

Just FYI, the vast majority of pure mathematicians (like artists) are broke as fuck and live really shitty lives but justify it to themselves and to their friends by claiming that it brings them this amazing joy, depth, etc, etc. The truth is, like artists, only a very small fraction of pure mathematicians actually do anything of any notability to the point that they gain a reasonable reputation and the money (and quality of live) that come with.

Basically, if you go for pure math, it's like rolling the dice with 99.999% chance of ending up being a high school teacher. Good luck.

Don't let these unrealistic posers convince you that you're gonna be this amazing Terry Tao. It's like failing actors convincing others to follow them to Hollywood to give it a shot. You will all end up sucking dick for coke.

>> No.7678828

>>7678815
To the OP: This is a post among many from young naive people. This person obviously does not know what they speak of and has prior predispositions. One should do what he loves, if that is math then so be it. There is huge money in math, but not in academia for the average mathematician. So consider this and plan accordingly. To those who are so edgy towards math, and act as if they know anything; I feel only bad for you you're so young and foolish.

>> No.7678912

>>7674942
Major in Math and minor in CS. The least useless undergraduate CS classes (object oriented design, data structures, algorithms, software engineering, compilers, OS) don't amount to that many credit hours anyway.

Finding software dev jobs (which is what most people with a BS in CS end up doing), is not hard, but definitely not as interesting as what you could do with an advanced degree in Math. And with a BS in CS, unless you take a shit ton of extra math classes, you will probably not be able to switch and get an MS or PhD in Math later on, because you'll get your ass kicked. I did my undergrad in CS and went back to get an MS in Quantitative Finance, and had to struggle so much because of my lacking math skills.

Programming will be a useful tool for a Math person anyway, so you should learn it regardless.

>> No.7678953

>>7674942
If you don't want to be unemployed, study both.

>> No.7678966

>>7675163
Im 100% sure every CS major requires Linear Algebra since its like the basis of all computational math and logic.

>> No.7678992

>>7675135
>muh nsa
>muh banks
>muh actuary
lol, is that all you pure math single major autists have in your defence?

>> No.7679028

>>7678966
>linear algebra
>the basis of logic

Well meme'd, anon

>> No.7679039

>>7679028

It is though. Just do linear algebra over [math]{\bf F}_2[/math], we have 1 = TRUE, 0 = FALSE, (1+a)(1+b) = a OR b
ab = a AND B

>> No.7679066

Nigga, are you serious?

Physics, learn Physics.

>> No.7679072

>>7674942
Math is not easily employable unless you know Excel/R/Python/SQL.

Same story with compsci unless you know how to code on the side and really do well in Algs and DS.

>> No.7679142

>>7675181
Bornuk

>> No.7679291

>>7679039
>(1⊕a)(1⊕b) = a OR b

No that's (not a) AND (not b) = a NOR b
a OR b = a⊕b⊕ab

>CS majors trying to be logical

top kek

>> No.7679297

>>7679291
I hope you are joking

>> No.7679305
File: 5 KB, 262x292, CS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7679297

(1⊕a)(1⊕b)=1*1⊕1*a⊕1*b⊕a*b

>> No.7679581

>>7679066
but we want jobs

>> No.7679761

>>7679066
Memes aside, are you employed in this field? I'm torn between pure theoretical physics and application of physics in studying the brain activity.