[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 596 KB, 1339x649, SAD MUSKY SCENT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7673855 No.7673855 [Reply] [Original]

ITT we discuss Elon "the SUICIDE WATCH" Musketeer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P8UKBAOfGo

>> No.7673923

>>7673855
He was based that interview though

>> No.7673927

>>7673923
>Show is called sixty minutes.
>First reply is forty minutes later.
Is there a meming afoot?

>> No.7673946

>>7673855
You can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in half.

>> No.7673975

>>7673855
People get stupid as they get older. Only explination.

>> No.7673983

>>7673855
Also, why is the interviewer's way of speaking so annoying? I could barely watch this

>> No.7673992

>>7673855
what the fuck is with your gay shitty 4chan theme? do you think you are some le hacker or something?

>> No.7673997

>>7673855
What do you want to know? My desk is ~50ft away from his.

Also, when did /sci/ get rid of ID's? I feel like I was on here not that long ago and they were still present.

>> No.7674011

>>7673992
>what the fuck is with your gay shitty 4chan theme? do you think you are some le hacker or something?
It's one of the pre-packaged themes in AppChan X and it's alot easier on my eyes then staring at a white or blue screen, especially at night. What's the deal with you shitting on my theme? Do you think you are some epic le patrician or something?

>> No.7674046

>>7673855
old faggot video.

only reason nigger OP made this thread is because he saw it on reddit fuck off you faggot fuck.

>> No.7674188

>>7673855
I think they give people drugs before they go on television in the US. It is the only explanation.

>> No.7674194

>>7673855
fucking hell he's crushed.

>> No.7674252

>>7674046
>only reason nigger OP made this thread is because he saw it on reddit
No. I found it on Youtube. How would you know if it was on reddit?
>the reddit accusations begin.

>> No.7674312

>>7673997
Any way of getting a tour of the Hawthorne-building when I go on exchange to UCSD next year?

>> No.7674325

>>7674312
Not really unfortunately. Its kind of a pain just to get friends approved for a tour. I need to have them fill out a ton of paperwork weeks in advance and submit it to our security people.

Also, if you're a foreigner then its a definite no go. ITAR makes it very difficult if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident.

>> No.7674344

>>7673997
>What do you want to know? My desk is ~50ft away from his.
I wanna know if you can prove you're for realisies.

>> No.7674351

>>7674344
Probably not. I'm not going to post my ID or take pics of my desk area.

There're ~4000 of us now, its not like SpaceX employees are rare unicorns.

>> No.7674373

>>7674351
when can i go to mars?

>> No.7674377

>>7674373
I have no idea. We're just trying to get back to our normal launch schedule.

I think it will be quite a long wait though.

>> No.7674527

>>7673855
That's pretty cute

>> No.7674820

>>7674351
>I'm not going to post my ID or take pics of my desk area.
Can you post a picture of you giving Elon Musks vacant office the middle finger? Or atleast timestamp a photo?

>> No.7675238

>>7674325
So there is no chance of me getting to rub up against a F9-core any time soon? Damnit

>> No.7675240

>>7674377
How are you doing on the return-to-flight plan? I've heard that the next launch is in December.

>> No.7675260

>>7674252
There has been Reddit accusations since 2006.

>> No.7675275

>>7675260
>implying anyone cared about Leddit in 2006

>> No.7675297

>>7673997
uh /sci/ never had ids

>> No.7675319

You can tell he really cares about this stuff, and isn't just in it for the money.

>> No.7675785

>>7674325
ITAR is exactly why I love the space industry, or rather, the government-industrial complex is general.

I'm a programmer working on space shit. It feels so fucking nice knowing I have job security and that Rajeesh won't be stealing my job because the shit I work on is "of government intelligence importance"

>> No.7675880
File: 9 KB, 300x240, 117897979891.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7673975

>last shuttle flight (and US manned mission) 2011
>first possible SpaceX manned flight 2017

At least six years without a US manned mission, because of this bullshit commitment to waiting out commercial "reinventing the wheel for profit" spaceflight. And yeah, there was a practical project being pushed to get us into space quicker:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_(rocket_family)

Those old farts sound pretty astute, honestly.

>> No.7675894

>>7675880
Why is the Jupiter rocket family preferable to the SLS?

>> No.7675947
File: 61 KB, 300x400, 1280875977298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7675894

SLS is what Jupiter turned into, after NASA realized the aforementioned old farts were right...

>> No.7677530

Sorry I took so long to respond, I had a busy weekend.

>>7674820
We have a open floor plan so Elon doesn't really have an office. We just have desks/cubicles scattered around and Elon is in the corner with some of the other senior VP's.

He does have an office for meetings but doesn't actually spend much time in there.

And sorry, I'm not really conformable posting pics from inside our building.

>>7675238
Unfortunately not anon. ITAR and liability insurance has made giving friends/family tours much more difficult than when I first started. Plus, our buildings are really overcrowded now and we are on some fairly tight schedules.

>>7675240
Things seem to be progressing as planned but delays are always possible even at the last second. I'd give it a 75% chance of making the schedule.

>>7675297
Guess its been a while since I posted and I must have confused it with another board I frequent. Thanks.

>>7675319
This is definitely accurate. I love my job but I doubt I would have Elon's risk appetite if I could cash out as a billionaire and just lounge around on my yacht all day.

>>7675785
While ITAR can be cumbersome at times this is certainly a nice perk. Mind if I ask what kind of projects you work on?

>>7675880
>because of this bullshit commitment to waiting out commercial "reinventing the wheel for profit" spaceflight
I hate to be the bearer of bad news comrade but space flight has always been a for-profit business.

>>7675947
Its a shame SLS will probably only fly 2-3 times before its cancelled by Congress.

>> No.7677649

>>7673997
What should I do if I'm thinking of applying to intern at SpaceX?

>> No.7677780

>>7677649
That's a pretty broad question that will make it nearly impossible for me to give you any meaningful advice.

What department are you looking to intern in? What is you current field of study and how well regarded is your university/department? You don't need to get too personal in the info you provide but some basic info will help me understand were you stand.

The simplest general advice I can give is to be at a top program, have good grades and most importantly have outside projects that are related to your field of study that you can talk at length about and shows creativity, independence and passion.

There's no secret formula to working/interning here. Generally I think our hiring/interview processes are fairly well run. We tend to be an attractive place to intern and so while we get extremely high level applicants I personally know of people who have been hired that didn't look stellar on paper/weren't from top schools, but demonstrated ingenuity and passion in other ways.

>> No.7677959

>>7675880
>At least six years without a US manned mission, because of this bullshit commitment to waiting out commercial "reinventing the wheel for profit" spaceflight.
That's not what happened. Ares I/Orion was supposed to fill this gap, but it was a failed project. The delay is due to a failure of conventional NASA contracting to get the job done, not because of the shift of methods that happened after this failure.

It actually took them a long time to figure out how to do the Orion heat shield, even though it's pretty much the same used on the Apollo capsule. All of this stuff that was supposed to save time by using old tech is not saving time, just making the people who are available today work with stuff that's not consistent with modern engineering theory and practice, producing inferior results.

Even ATK doesn't want to keep making the old multi-segment solid rocket boosters. They've offered superior large single-segment boosters (which could have made Ares I work), and NASA just won't take them.

>Jupiter
You're talking about Constellation/SLS. They're been pouring money into it, and it's not producing results. It has already had to be scaled back and renamed. No prospect of a manned flight this decade.

The commercial replacement is operating on peanuts by comparison (it has been delayed due to underfunding for years now), and producing faster results.

Also, NASA's holding the commercial crew program to much higher safety standards than their own programs. The cargo Dragon on Falcon 9 could have carried crew as safely as the space shuttle. (yes, even with the rocket that blew up -- the capsule could have landed safely if it had been programmed to detach and deploy chutes, it just wasn't because there was no crew in it)

The first manned SLS/Orion flight is planned to put crew on a vehicle with a completely untested configuration with a new upper stage, and send them beyond LEO the first time Orion carries crew. It's extremely reckless.

>> No.7678113

>>7677959
Speaking of the failure, did you guys ever recover the Dragon capsule? As i understand it kept sending telemetry until it went over the horizon, so i'm guessing there are some data you can use to calculate the impact area. Would be rather interesting to see how well it handled the "rapid dis-assembly"(to quote Elon) and the subsequent sea impact.

>> No.7678114

>>7673997
Are the hours there as brutal as I've heard. I have a friend there who basically lives at work and I've heard from others basically the same thing.

>> No.7678304

>>7677959
This is a good explanation of the situation.

>>7678113
I'm the SpaceX employee that's been posting in this thread but this >>7677959 wasn't my post. Its a very good explanation of Constellation/SLS.

No the Dragon capsule from CRS-7 has not been recovered. At the speed it impacted the surface of the ocean its crumpled up and in a million little pieces on the seafloor and floating around the Atlantic.

Nothing of any significant value could be gleamed from its recovery since it was never intended to survive such an incident without the aid of its parachutes.

>>7678114
Yes and no. The hours worked, especially in the first 1-3 years here, are certainly much more than would be expected at other more established aero/defense companies.

We like to put employees through their paces and we have a fair amount of turnover. If you can last beyond the initial onslaught, things do get better as you move up the ranks.

The work/life balance here is probably still not ideal for most people, but I definitely take exception to the feeling many outsiders have of SpaceX employees essentially being slaves. Plenty of people find time to start families, get married, hang out with friends, date, have outside hobbies, etc. Of course I wouldn't recommend someone start a family immediately after coming here.

I've worked in both pure academic research as well as at an HFT/quant shop and both required similar levels of dedication. Compensation wise my research position paid much less and finance paid much more while requiring a similar time commitment as SpaceX, so I don't think what SpaceX asks is particularly daunting.

Also, our HR/hiring managers make it explicitly clear what is expected of prospective applicants. You'd be surprised how many otherwise intelligent and talented engineers/technicians get hired and then are shocked/angered at the hours required despite this all being plainly laid out for them during the hiring process.

>> No.7678330

>>7673855
Can't watch now. What's the story? Ego problems?

>> No.7678951

>>7677780
I was mostly looking into dynamics or propulsion as I've always wanted to be involved in bringing about newer and greater ways of trekking into space. I'm currently enrolled in a program that focuses on sciences and engineering at the nanoscale, and as far as I know, it's fairly well regarded.
As for side projects, if you mean personal projects, besides my little electrical engineering stuff I like to do, a couple friends and I are working on trying to make an acetylene based rocket engine for fun that we're quite involved in. I also made a few small "jet engines" that I'm rather proud of. Most of my income goes to side stuff like this actually.

>> No.7678961

>>7678330
he is crying because his heroes buzz and neil are laughing at him

>> No.7679036

>>7675947

The time gap between the space shuttle and the first SLS and Orion flight is even longer, you dolt.

>> No.7679051

>>7678961

Not Buzz, Buzz is heavily pro-Mars and thus a natural fit with Elon.

Armstrong went on a few tours with Mike Griffin and swallowed the propaganda paper program and then sullied his reputation in his declining years with outspoken criticism of the sound plans to replace it.

Amrstrong didn't do his due diligence and lended his fame to garbage and hyper-partisan hysteria.

A shame Armstrong died before he had to face Elon making a fool out of him.

>> No.7679062

>can't be done due to lack of experience
This is such a fucking retarded idea.

Did NASA know what the fuck they were doing before they did it?

>> No.7679065

I can't stand Elon Musk. I can't stand his worshipers. Almost everything about him is a carefully crafted media creation. His cult of followers flip out when anyone asks for real technical proof of anything. His is pretty much the Lord of the Meme.

That said, I hope he succeeds at every project he has underway. I'd love to end up eating crow in exchange for his companies actually producing products useful to the average person. Just wish he wouldn't have taken the Steve Jobs cult of personality path.

>> No.7679068

Why does he care so much about some old geezers he's actually fucking crying

>> No.7679189

>>7679062
Well yeah. They didn't build Saturn V from scratch, idiot. There's a reason it took us 25 years from the V2 to the moon

>> No.7679257

>>7679189
This is a retarded analogy. SpaceX is operating in a world where literature on Saturn V tier rockets are widespread. It's a lot easier for him than 60's NASA who only had the V2 to go on.

>> No.7679268

Can't watch this video right now.

Can anyone give me a synopsis?

>> No.7679282

>>7679065
>What is PayPal?

>> No.7679287

>>7679268
Interviewer: What do you say to all the people who say you're in over your head and don't know what you're doing?
Elon Musk: Suck my dick.
Interviewer: Neil Armstrong and those other guys no one has ever heard of said that governmental promoting of commercialized space travel will cause more harm than good, what do you think of that.
Elon Musk: Yeah, that really sucks, those guys are like my heroes. I wanted senpai to notice me, but not like this.
Interviewer: What exactly are you trying to do?
Elon Musk: I'm trying to uh... space travel and junk.

>> No.7679306

>>7679257
And yet their rockets blow up, be it in the sky or attempting their puny landings. NASA can land a rover on Mars using a skycrane, ESA a probe on a comet with a totally unknown surface, JAXA can return samples from an asteroid, and then you have SpaceX who can't even land a first stage back on Earth.

I ain't even trolling. If any government agency had tried this (they didn't because they don't think reusability is actually that profitable), I'm pretty sure they would have nailed it, given they pulled much more impressive tricks.

See? Expertise.

>> No.7679309

>>7679306
fucking this

spacex shills pls go

>> No.7679313

>>7679306
SpaceX is developing a new type of rocket. if they just wanted to leave Earth then they could have done that easily without many problems.
>If any government agency had tried this (they didn't because they don't think reusability is actually that profitable)
This is one thing I really hate about /sci/ you are all such massive authority cock suckers "if the powers that be haven't bothered then it is not worth doing" what kind of attitude is that? Is NASA some infallible all-powerful God to you?

>> No.7679314

>>7679306
landing a first stage back on Earth is actually harder than any of the feats you've mentioned.

>government deemed reusability unprofitable
then they're wrong.

>> No.7679330

>>7679313
This isn't about the powers that be you walking straw man. This is about foundation, discipline, and experience.

Elon Musk is a flamboyant billionaire who thinks he can throw money at something until magic happens, who promises the moon and then burns out all of his talent and hires some more, as if the highest tier of engineer were a just some replaceable commodity. NASA is an organization that constantly suffers budget cuts, but continues to perform due to the quality, loyalty, and sense of purpose of its staff.

This isn't capitalism vs authority, this is sensationalism vs ethics.

>> No.7679382

>>7679306
>SpaceX who can't even land a first stage back on Earth.
You have absolutely no perspective on the relative difficulty of those things.

To make a first stage capable of landing in shape to reuse without drastically increasing its cost or reducing its performance to near-uselessness is far beyond anyone's spaceflight accomplishments to date in both difficulty and usefulness.

>I ain't even trolling.
Then you're very, very stupid.

>> No.7679406

>>7679314
The problem with talking about reusability is that it's politically difficult in the US government to say that the space shuttle was ridiculous garbage. Too many congressmen have had their hand in that cookie jar.

NASA did it! Everyone knows NASA is super-competent! It's the crowning glory of America's space program! We built the ISS with it!

It didn't meet the performance spec. It halfway fell apart on every launch. It had a major expendable component. It was delayed so long that it caused the loss of Skylab. Insisting on using it greatly increased the cost of the ISS and slowed its construction because it was so cost-ineffective and could not support a high volume of launch. The design was compromised by crony politics and pork. It lacked standard safety features for manned spaceflight and killed two crews.

>> No.7679414

>>7679189
>They didn't build Saturn V from scratch, idiot.
Are you really trying to tell me that the Saturn V just appeared into existence at some point and we just knew how to operate it?

I understand you're very dense but should you ever arrive at "they used pre-existing component X" just apply my argument to component X.

At some point someone had to figure this shit out, nobody was born with the knowledge of space travel.

>> No.7679466

>>7679330
I think you are confusing Musk with Bezos. Musk has grown billions in assets through hard work and persistence, almost losing it all in 2008. Yet even now I don't think he has much liquidity, he has poured every cent back into his businesses. He could still go bust any year. He actually spends very little money on development compared to other government space agencies and contractors.

It is interesting that he is the first person to look at reusability to cut costs. (Shuttle never had any hope of that, due to its overdesign-by-committee.) It is a big gamble, but it is structured as an "extra" on top of an already profitable expendable system.

The work ethic he requires seems problematic, though. I don't know if it will be sustainable long term. This six-month pause due to the strut failure will probably be good for the company in the long run.

>> No.7679642

>>7677530
>While ITAR can be cumbersome at times this is certainly a nice perk. Mind if I ask what kind of projects you work on?

Both you and I know I'm not allowed to say anything.

>> No.7679649

NASA are fucking faggots. They need to die already.

>> No.7679790

>>7673983

He knows that he's invoking these kinds of emotions in Musk. He's an American news reporter, not a journalist with any integrity.

>> No.7679823

>>7673855
Go fuck yourself, OP. Kek.

>> No.7680075

>>7679282
A company that wasn't founded by Elon Musk. His company was bought by PayPal. Thanks for proving once again that Musk worshippers are delusional and can't get even basic facts right.

>> No.7680080

>>7673946
bart watching ralph on tv after lisa breaks his heart. nice

>> No.7681374

>>7679068
this tbqh faam

Who gives a shit what they think.

>> No.7682575

>>7678951
Propulsion tends to be the most competitive department for internships in my experience, so keep that in mind. Sounds like some of your outside hobbies are exactly the kind of things our recruiters look for. Make sure you document your projects so you can use them effectively during the application process. If your university has any engineering/robotics teams you can serve on you should, I know that is looked extremely favorably upon.

>>7679051
Your post is spot on. It pains me to see that a man who for most of his life eschewed fame and self promotion, especially in comparison to many of his peers, so willfully lent his name in support of such a fraudulent project while leveling criticism against commercial space.

>>7679306
>I ain't even trolling.
It sure looks like it.

>>7679306
>(they didn't because they don't think reusability is actually that profitable)
On second thought, scratch that. You’re not trolling but may have a serious cognitive disability.

>>7679314
Nice to see someone who gets it.

>> No.7682578

>>7679330
>Elon Musk is a flamboyant billionaire who thinks he can throw money at something until magic happens
This is probably the antithesis of how Elon and SpaceX operate.

>as if the highest tier of engineer were a just some replaceable commodity.
Confirmed for never having actually worked with engineers. The reality is that the vast majority of engineers, even at so called elite institutions/corps like NASA/SpaceX are in fact fairly replaceable. Engineers aren’t some rare unicorn in short supply, this is the view of someone who’s either in HS or works some shit tier job at Subway as a sandwich artist and worships the engineers/scientists he reads about.

That isn’t to say there aren’t some truly extraordinary and almost irreplaceable engineers at both NASA and SpaceX, there certainly are, and just like in the rest of society, those with truly unique skills are very well taken care of. Elon has a pretty good eye for talent and part of what has made him successful over the years is his willingness to delegate to others who are more knowledgeable on a subject then he is. Not everyone can be at the top of the pyramid and believe me, the top talent at SpaceX tend to be happy with their compensation and work/life balance.

>but continues to perform
Seeing as NASA currently can’t get its astronauts to the ISS on US hardware, this is debatable. Your assertion will be even more troubling when SLS is cancelled somewhere between its first and fourth flights after tens of billions have been poured into the right congressional districts.

>loyalty, and sense of purpose of its staff.
Having worked at JPL and having plenty of experience with NASA’s research staff at other labs, I can certainly attest to this. Although, NASA doesn’t have a monopoly on this kind of commitment from its staff.

>this is sensationalism vs ethics.
You might instead consider containing your posts to one of the many boards here dealing with cartoons rather than science.

>> No.7682580

>>7679466
>The work ethic he requires seems problematic, though. I don't know if it will be sustainable long term.
This is certainly a concern but one that I think is sometimes overblown. I can get more detailed in why I believe this to be the case if you’re curious.

>>7679642
>Both you and I know I'm not allowed to say anything.
Both you and I know that isn’t even remotely true unless you’re just posturing for the kids on this board. ITAR is extremely broadly applied and plenty of things fall under ITAR that don’t carry any formal DOD classification. Even TS/SCI programs can be talked about with some general non-specificity. Not everything classified falls under an SAP.

>> No.7682633

>>7682580
>work ethic
yeah, I'd like to hear more. Does it mostly apply to the new hires, to weed out the weak?

>> No.7682647

Man, I wish we had nuclear pulse propulsion

>> No.7682648

How is the testing for the Raptor coming along? Haven't heard a lot lately, but with the focus on the return-to-launch i can see how it gets less priority

>> No.7682907

>>7679282
fuck paypal

>> No.7683146

>>7678304
>HFT/quant shop

So why did you leave that (HFT)?

Also how does pay compare between the trading and SpaceX?

>> No.7683151

>>7679306
Despite all of that SpaceX still designed a rocket that is SUPPOSED to be cheaper than anything built by the government. By quite a lot.

>> No.7684059

>>7679306
>I ain't even trolling. If any government agency had tried this (they didn't because they don't think reusability is actually that profitable)
There are people on /sci/ who unironically believe this.

>> No.7684362

>>7673997
>>7678304
What work do you do at spacex? (Curious as you came from HFT)

>> No.7685265

>>7683146
I'd like to know this too.

>> No.7685421

>>7683146
>>7684362
>>7685265
These are NSA employees trying to identify you, don't give em information

>> No.7685430

>>7673997
Do you know Steve P?

>> No.7685983

>>7673855
MY POOR BABY LAMB.

Actually felt sad seeing this man welling up.

>> No.7686323

>>7673855
Actually, Armstrong's position was a bit misconstrued in that interview. He was supportive of newcomers, but simply felt that maybe they might not be as safe as NASA if they didn't take it seriously enough.
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2012/06/60-minutes-clarifies-neil-armstrongs-position-on-spacex/

At 38:10 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9y_YSpYxA he also gets pretty emotional.

>> No.7687347

>>7685421
Kek

>>7686323
Good info anon.

>> No.7687412

>>7678330
The story is Musk is pushing to strand people on Mars for the sake of his, yeah, ego, instead of laying groundwork infrastructure via Earth-orbital build-launch-transfer systems and lunar resourcing operations.

>> No.7687477

>>7687412
This is really my only issue with Musk's goals.

He's shooting too far. First mars mission should be named after Icarus.

Build a moon base first, ffs.

>> No.7687921

>>7679062
of course they fucking did. the guys working at NASA at that time were the fucking germans that worked on V2 rockets among americans and shit. they knew exactly what the fuck they were doing and were all very smart guys who had years and years of experience already.

>> No.7687997
File: 47 KB, 200x146, 21211.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7687921
>implying SpaceX doesnt employ ex-NASA guys

>> No.7689144

>>7687477
When do you anons think we'll actually build a permanent moon base. Wouldn't it make sense as a test bed for further space exploration?

What would be the biggest challenges in building it?

>> No.7689158
File: 137 KB, 596x799, 1408546148679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7675880
Yes comrade, why use the evil market system? The glorious USSR mars base is a shining example of what our benevolent overlords can do when given the ability to take unlimited amounts of our money and do whatever they want

The fact that we haven't been out of LEO since the moon landings, there is no near term government plan to do so, and we are, in fact, rapidly regressing in terms of maned space capability, after 50 years of 15+ billion dollar budgets is proof that gov space is the way to go.

NASA as we know it should be completely abolished, close every NASA centre, use the entire budget for development, and fixed price procurement contracts

>> No.7689159

Most of the experienced engineers who build rockets back in the 60s and 70s are dead. That's the big problem. No one told them to write books on the subject. The US let the industry rust while focusing on bombing sand people. Now everyone is trying to learn astro and aero dynamics of spaceflight that was written 40-60 years ago. Musk is trying to fix the gap by making rockets cheap so other companies can push the boundaries of space science to new levels.

>> No.7689926

>>7689144
I too want the moon bases we were promised.

>> No.7690074

>>7689144
who cares about moon bases? What do you imagine anyone is going to do on a moon base?
They should use nuclear pulse propulsion to bring back a large asteroid to low earth orbit

>> No.7690084
File: 34 KB, 498x640, 97582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7690074
Are you some kind of fucking moron?

A moonbase would be a proxy to anything else space related. You could use it as a launch site, using considerably less fuel. You could use it for processing from asteroid mining. You could use it to build devices using processes that would be impossible on Earth. Etc, etc, etc. A viable moon colony would be the single most useful thing the human race could create. Much better than an orbital space station.

There are a number of problems, but focussing on solving them would also be greatly beneficial. Poor energy production and an inability to shield cosmic rays and debris is a big problem for space travel in general. We either need materials with uncommon properties, or enough energy for some sort of force field.

Or we could just accumulate brain and organ damage, and have fun crossing our fingers hoping no small clump of matter traveling near c finally pegs a hole in you and your spacecraft.

Our species is in some disjointed state where we're partly entering adolescence, yet still in our infancy as a whole. Learning to live apart from Earth, with all the technical and economic issues that presents, would be the first step to leaving our cradle we're so contentedly writing around in as we shit all over ourselves.

>> No.7690086

>>7690084
?
There's zero fucking reason to land on the moon then take off again, when you could just sit in orbit

Unless there is shit to mine on the moon, what is the point of it?

>> No.7690104

Well there is that Monolith that needs uncovering. And we are behind schedule on that one.

>> No.7690120

>>7690084
>he doesn't know how absorptive triglycerides are

On a moonbase there would be mooncows on a moonfarm to provide us with the means of cosmic ray protection.

>>7690086
But he's right. Unless it was actually more efficient to send components to the moon and assemble ships there, it would be pretty pointless.

>> No.7691029

>>7690086
Doesn't the moon have tons of rare earth elements and he-3, that might be worth mining.

>> No.7691304

>>7691029
tons of rare earths on earth
Dnno about He-3, I think thats more a meme than anything else
Plus it's in very low quantities

>> No.7691990

>>7687477
Is Musk just keking everyone with this Mars colony bullshit for a good laugh or is he autistic enough to actually think he can build it.

>> No.7692003

>>7689144
I just want to turn the moon into a giant gateway so the world can have free internet

>> No.7692006

>>7692003
dat ping tho

>> No.7692052

>>7679382
The difficulty is the last few metres, right?
I understand there is a reason for this so please tell me why they dont use parachutes for it?

>> No.7693432

>>7692052
I'd like a good explanation of this too.

>> No.7693436

>>7674011
desu buddy solarized is a lot better
also, using i3 and having floating windows, haha
what a GAY

>> No.7693693

>>7692052
>The difficulty is the last few metres, right?
No, the difficulty is the whole descent, recovery, return to base, and preparation for next launch.

SpaceX has only attempted two landings on a solid surface, and only one of them failed in the last few meters (with the first, they ran out of hydraulic fluid so the "landing" burn became a wild divert maneuver to impact on-target, with the second, the throttle was sticky). They attempted several other recoveries before that.

The original plan was a parachute splashdown. The first difficulty with that is that the first stages were not aerodynamically stable or especially rugged. Without powerful propulsion, they would belly flop in the atmosphere and break up. So they basically needed to briefly relight the main engines to get down from hypersonic speed to something more manageable before resuming free fall.

Once they were planning on relighting the main engines, the prospect of a powered landing was far more attractive than a splashdown. A parachute splashdown is not a gentle landing, for any reasonable size of parachute it's more like a controlled crash, and even if there aren't waves to toss the floating stage around roughly, sea water is corrosive. So the value of a stage recovered by splashdown is in doubt. It will likely need refurbishing, if not to be treated as a salvage item where only some useful parts can be stripped.

A soft-landed stage, on the other hand, is likely be in conditition to simply inspect, refuel, restack, and use again. By its ability to land on one of its main engines, it's clearly in pretty good working order. The goal here is to have it work like an airliner: fly multiple flights before any signficant maintenance is needed, and last for thousands of flights without any major component replacements.

Falcon 9 isn't likely to achieve airliner-like reusability, but their next generation launch vehicle, based on real experience, might pull it off.

>> No.7694734

>>7693693
Thanks for this explanation.

>> No.7694850
File: 261 KB, 2400x1735, 1368273449979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7673855
I never understood this "kids dream" about going to space.
>Woo I'm on a rocket!

Whoop de friggin doo.

>> No.7695265

>>7682578
what is the end goal of spacex for hyperloop

>> No.7695800

>>7695265
I don't think SpaceX is involved in hyperloop at all.

>> No.7695801

>>7680075
lol just kill yourself

>> No.7695927

>>7673855
>what are allergies?

>> No.7696131

>>7695800
They are organizing the Pod Competition.

>> No.7696134

>>7673997
What's your education (undergrad and grad), what do you work as, is this your first job, how long have you worked there, and how much are you paid?

>> No.7696308

>>7695265
Make it popular enough to actually have it be realistically considered as an option.

>> No.7696398

>>7696308
that's it?
>Elon Musk's Hyperloop
>SpaceX Hyperloop Pod Competition

so they're only in it for the promotion of Elon's idea?

>> No.7696864

>>7696398
It wasn't his idea alone. My understanding is that they came up with it while talking about how to build a Mars colony.

Hyperloop's a more practical idea on Mars. It operates at Martian air pressure, so the track doesn't have to be a pressure vessel tube. A similar concept can be used for aircraft runways (on Mars, aircraft would have to be going very fast to get lift, so rolling landing gear wouldn't work well).

>> No.7696911
File: 89 KB, 899x611, 1449164825957.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's ok guys, Elon Musk is going to single handedly save the planet. We can go back to our video games and leave science to him.

>> No.7696914

>>7695265
The purpose of Hyperloop is to insert enough FUD into the conversation about alternatives to automobiles to ensure there is a market for the Tesla for a long time. The Hyperloop isn't meant to work, it's meant to prevent high speed rail from being built.

>> No.7696999

>>7696864
>>7696914
Makes sense.

>> No.7697033

>>7696911
Pretty much this

>> No.7697094

>>7696911
> Elon Musk is going to single handedly save the planet.
At least he is taking some initiative you slimy little shit.

> leave science to him.
Jealous of the attention princess? Science is not a contest for popularity.

Bow to your betters worm or rise above.

>> No.7697116

Anyone heard the rumors about the next Falcon launch will try to return the first stage to land?

>> No.7697194

>>7697116
yes, pending good weather and approval, the Dec. 15 launch will come back to one of the four pads at SpaceX's new landing facility.

And an Atlas V launch of a jumbo Cygnus cargo pod to the ISS is happening in less than an hour. The second of seventeen (!) orbital launches worldwide, the busiest month since the Cold War.

>> No.7697252

>>7697194
the 15.? wow, that was early.

>> No.7697289
File: 71 KB, 1000x700, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7697094
Someone shoop this post into pic related with Musk's face

>> No.7697326

>>7697094
>I brushed my teeth this morning
>I SAVED EVERYONE'S DENTAL HEALTH!

Playing with some rockets != single handedly saving humanity. If Musk spent as much effort on engineering as he does on vanity publicity, he'd have a Mars colony.

>> No.7697359

>>7697194
that atlas V launch is delayed, it's currently fucking pouring and blowing like a motherfucker
expect a 24 hr hold and launch tomorrow

>> No.7697362

>>7697326
I don't think your Lord and savior Musk made that image peasant scum but rabble away at the only member of the elite publicly championing for species survival.

>> No.7697710

>>7697326
You're forgetting Solar City, his solar power company, and Tesla, which isn't just an electric car company, but also a grid and house battery company. He has talked a fair bit about eventually making electric aircraft as well.

When people talk about Elon Musk "saving the planet", they're referring more to his investments in clean energy technology.

>> No.7697738

>>7697326
This.
spacex marketers please leave.

>> No.7697837

>>7697710
All things others are doing but not attention whoring in the process. Face it, your god is really just Steve Jobs 2.0. Ten years from now he'll be the answer to a trivia question and little more.

>> No.7697849

>>7697837
>All things others are doing but not attention whoring in the process.
Sure, if "others are doing" something, why bother? Nobody does a better job than anybody else.

>> No.7697982

>>7696911
Gotta love these marxists who "donate" to foundations they set up & control
Real fucking charitable
Only liberals could be stupid enough to believe shit like that.

>> No.7698035

>>7697849
So far he hasn't demonstrated he's better than others at anything other than attention whoring.

>> No.7698072

>>7690120
>But he's right. Unless it was actually more efficient to send components to the moon and assemble ships there, it would be pretty pointless.
Idk man all our manufacturing stuff is designed for use in a gravity well.

>> No.7698075
File: 257 KB, 720x720, yp28GK6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7694850
He's not scared of the dark, unlike you

>> No.7698081

"Socialize Science!"
"Tax Controlled Science!"
"Government Controlled Science!"
"Beneficial Totalitarianism!"
"No Dissent! No Exploration!"
"Big Brother Knows Best"

Eat. My. Toast.
[./Bodega]

>> No.7698085

>>7698075
I always thought being afraid of the dark meant to be afraid of not seeing.
Which is a rational fear.

>> No.7698087

>>7698075
thats literally autism

>> No.7698089

>>7698075
What a stupid way to reconcile the fear of not knowing. You're not afraid of the lack of photons, you're afraid of the inability to properly measure your environment thereby being forced to operate on logic and memory. This requires faith in oneself, that your heuristics aren't lacking, that you aren't missing anything, that your ears will guide you as you stumble stupidly about in the dark.

I'm in my early twenties, and some part of me is still very much afraid of the dark, but only in closed in spaces. I know how useful the dark is. There's also the unevaluable possibility that something has masked itself, or will slip into existence in the dark. There are two means by which this can happen:
-A shapeshifter that changes itself. All it has to do is remove an object you're expecting to see there, and then change into it in its place. Then wait.
-A being that tampers with you. Either it exploits a logical hole oneself is not able to be aware of, or somehow alters the flow of information in the brain. Something that's standing in plain sight, but can't be recognized for what it really is.

Don't like it man. Just don't like it. I can wander around the woods with zero visibility and feel fine, but the moment I'm in a building I feel like something is waiting for me. Or is going to warp in, and mess with my mind as I sleep.

>> No.7698547

>>7698075
Stupidest shit I've seen.

>I was afraid of eating shit because I thought it was disgusting
>But then I realized, shit is just made out of atoms, same as my body.
>It's really stupid to be afraid of atoms.
>Then I started eating shit every day.

>>7698085
This

>> No.7698554

>>7679068
My delivery drone programme is inspired in part by SpaceX. I'd be pretty crushed if Musk laughed at it therfore I totally understand him crying about Armstrong trashing his work.

>> No.7698557

>>7679330
>who thinks he can throw money at something until magic happens
This is literally how engineering works. It's 20% expertise and 80% money. Musk could be on Mars in three years if he had a trillion dollars

>> No.7698888

>>7698557
No bucks; no Buck Rogers.

The only reason we got to the moon in a decade was because the US was scared enough of the Russkies that they threw 5% of their budget at the problem. NASA has been limping along on 0.1% ever since. That is the main reason Musk has been pushing overall business efficiency over new tech for his rockets. He knows the good times are never coming back, he has to make it to space on a limited budget if it is going to happen at all.

>> No.7698994

>>7698888
nice quads

>> No.7699072

>>7698888
NASA could have done a lot more if they didn't decide to spend all their fucking money on the space shuttle and the ISS

>> No.7699257
File: 34 KB, 600x450, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7699072
Manned spaceflight is retarded but that's really Congress's doing rather than NASA's.

>> No.7699259

>>7699257
I still have no fucking idea how that fucking skyhook plan made any sense for curiosity.

>> No.7699376

>>7698888
>NASA has been limping along on 0.1% ever since.
That's ridiculous. Society has gotten much richer over that time, so that 0.1% is not so much less than the 5%. Furthermore, during the Apollo program, NASA was figuring out basics of spaceflight.

NASA has plenty of money, if it was allowed to use it efficiently. The SLS/Orion program, for instance, is pure waste. Every dollar spent on it is being totally wasted. There's nothing that's going to be done with it that couldn't be done without it at far lower cost.

>> No.7699388

>>7699259
No ramp to deploy. The rover's suspension absorbs the shock of landing, rather than needing a separate system.

That's two things that would have added weight and risk of failure if the rover had been on top of a rocket lander.

It's also good to keep the rocket nozzles some distance from the ground. Plus there's a chance that the lander can blow up on or just after landing, with the rover on top, which is avoided by crashing it some distance away.

>> No.7699447

>>7697359
Today's 2nd try is happening in 15 minutes. Weather looks much better today:

http://www.ulalaunch.com/nasa.aspx

>> No.7699709
File: 98 KB, 1223x799, NASA_budget.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7699376
>that 0.1% is not so much less than the 5%
To support this, I had this chart handy from some stuff I did a while ago.

>> No.7699734

>>7673997
what does his breath smell like?
his pits?

who is your qtest coworker?

>> No.7699761

>>7697982
This. They moved their money to "charity" for tax write off and never used their money to help the poor. They get liberal idiots to donate and use their money. Their organizations are nothing more than tax dodging institutions. Bill Gates didn't want to donate to charity until his wife made him do it. Gates is a total fucking psychopath. There is a reason why he hated Steve Jobs, and that's because he was better than Gates. They're both the same so seeing each other brings up feeling hatred toward themselves.

>> No.7699855

>>7699709
>wages have gone up
>new equipment now is just as new as it was then, thus as expensive
>???

>> No.7699964

>>7699855
>>new equipment now is just as new as it was then, thus as expensive
What are you even trying to say?

In the 60s, NASA had to basically invent orbital spaceflight. Are you trying to claim that repeating stuff that's already been done, with decades of technological advancement to make it easier, should be as expensive as developing the capability from nothing?

>> No.7700581

>>7699259
From the JPL.guy in charge, they had to use it as it was waaay too heavy for the normal rover-landing involving chutes and a bouncy castle.

>> No.7700648

>>7699964
>In the 60s, NASA had to basically invent orbital spaceflight. Are you trying to claim that repeating stuff that's already been done, with decades of technological advancement to make it easier, should be as expensive as developing the capability from nothing?
Well I would imagine if they're still trying to do new things then it should still be expensive

>if they're not making progress, why are we still funding NASA?

>> No.7700713

Elon musk is second only to Steve jerbs in being a pretentious little fag

Both use marketing to sell their shit tier products

>> No.7701300

>>7700648
>Well I would imagine if they're still trying to do new things then it should still be expensive
Operating the shuttle was only new in the 80s. SLS/Orion is nothing new at all.

>> No.7701331

>>7699734
His pits smell elon musky

>> No.7701439
File: 107 KB, 400x241, main-qimg-8c4eaa6e195cf83436c3045181a35f85.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7699734
>who is your qtest coworker?
elon musk obviously, just look at him,he's ADOOOWWWWABBLLLEEEE

>> No.7701449

>>7699709
Why is the chart written in Nazi?

>> No.7701525

>>7701449
Because it's a chart about NAZA?

>> No.7701540
File: 32 KB, 432x256, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7701525
>BEECOWZ EETZ AAH CHAWT ABOWT NAT-ZA

>> No.7702511

>>7701439
kek, that hair

>> No.7703060

>>7701439
It must be nice having money and not having to be bald anymore.

>> No.7703104

>>7701449
Because I'm German and I was to lazy to change the labels to English since I assumed that "absolut", "%", and "2007 constant dollars" would be sufficient to understand the graph with the context of the responded-to post, especially on the science board.

>> No.7703901

>>7701331
Underrated post.

>> No.7705416

>>7701439
How old is he in this pic?

>> No.7705424

>>7703104
Calm down Fritz, I'm only messing with you.

>> No.7705426

>>7701439
>>7702511
>>7703060
>make fun of him for going bald
>also make fun of him for getting hair plugs

What's he supposed to do?

>> No.7705631

>>7705426
Welcome to being a man in 2015. If you look like shit women laugh at you, if you try and improve your appearance men laugh at you.

>> No.7706944

>>7705426
This perfectly sums up 4chan.

>>7705631
kek, so true

>> No.7706952

>>7705426
Sit there and be ridiculed, perform an action that breaks human logic, or not exist.

This is what those in this thread are demanding.

>> No.7707626

>>7685421
I think we scared the SpaceX fag away.

>> No.7708108

>>7707626
>implying he isn't working day and night to make RTF happen on the 19th with RTLS and thus has no time to come on 4chan because when he's not at the Factory he's asleep.
Do you even /Musk company working hours/, bro?

Joking aside, he probably is just busy or forgot about the thread.

>> No.7708147

>>7673855
From the way SpaceX and Tesla operate it's really easy as an engineer to be cynical about Musk. I occasionally wonder if the whole 'let's go to Mars!' rhetoric is just to attract smart engineers and make them settle for lower pay.

Every time I start down this line of thinking I watch that interview with Musk and all the cynicism is dispelled. The dude's either totally genuine and deserves all our support or a brilliant actor.

>> No.7708181

>>7698075

What a fucking idiot

>> No.7708202

>>7708147
Indeed. Musk has the fire burning within him.

That said, most of the grand shit humans do have baser justifications. You can't get shit done on wishes alone. Your reasoning about getting better engineers for less is probably also true.

>> No.7708273

>>7705631
>>7705426
Eh... he could have just got a haircut that works with his male pattern baldness.

>> No.7708315

>>7708147
Or he's delusional.

It's not such a crazy possibility. Many geniuses have had mental issues, and Musk, while not a genius, is obviously somewhat bright, so I think there's a chance he might be a bit deluded/overconfident. He may really think he can do his Mars thing even though it doesn't take an PhD in aerospace engineering to see its a big joke.

>> No.7708330

>>7708315
no doubt. Besides the obvious Howard Hughes, there is Robert Bigelow the hotelier who bought the rights to NASA's inflatable space station tech. Although he is a space enthusiast with financial backing, he also seriously believes in space aliens.

>> No.7708339

Musk needs to get his head in the game and stop blaming the blecks

>> No.7709614

>>7708330
>>7708330
>>>7708315
>he also seriously believes in space aliens.

That makes me like him even more.

>> No.7710065

>>7698075
Does Elon have autism?

If the SpaceX anon is still around, what's he like to interact with?

>> No.7710194

>>7698085
>>7698087
>>7698089
>>7698547
>>7708181
>>7710065
>>7709614
>>7708315
Guys its a joke

>> No.7710199

>>7697837
And how is saying he's Steve Jobs 2.0 a bad thing? Apple makes millions of dollars a year on some cheap plastic computers.

Musk is trying to make the world greener with his electric and solar companies and trying to get us to mars with his rockets.

>> No.7711462

>>7673855
It must suck to grow up being bullied for being a nerd, work super hard to become a billionaire to prove everyone wrong, and then still get shit on by your heroes.

>> No.7711498

>>7710199
Apple makes disposable consumer goods that are hardly green with demand driven by emotionally manipulative advertising. When Musk does something that changes my life, I might give a shit about his attention whoring. Until then, he's no more special than some random writer making crap up for Popular Science.

>> No.7711849

Apologies to those who asked questions and were waiting for replies, I’ve been quite busy.

>>7682633
>yeah, I'd like to hear more. Does it mostly apply to the new hires, to weed out the weak?

I would say that the entire company probably works longer hours than the industry average, but yes, this is especially true for new hires. It is in many ways used to weed out those employees that don’t have the commitment long term. I can however say that as you move up in seniority, pay becomes much more aligned with more established aero/defense corps, and you have much more autonomy in your schedule and hours.

I think Elon’s management style is one that likes to “front load” job expectations. Most people who work in the space launch business will eventually have to put in the occasional 70-80 week to meet deadlines and not everyone is up for that. I’m sure we probably have to do this more often than those at larger companies but this isn’t something that is expected of all employees here on a consistent basis, contrary to what you might have heard. I think Elon’s view tends to be that it's better to throw people into the grinder early on in order to find out it they’re suitable for it, rather than find out at a much later time that this isn’t for them. Anyone who’s ever interviewed potential job applicants understands that it's pretty much impossible to really identify if a candidate will ultimately be a good fit until you’ve been able to work with them for some time. Finding out that someone isn’t a good fit early on is much better for them and the company.

>> No.7711855

>>7682648
>How is the testing for the Raptor coming along? Haven't heard a lot lately, but with the focus on the return-to-launch i can see how it gets less priority

The Raptor dev team is fairly sequestered from the rest of the company so the increased focus on return-to-launch doesn’t really impact them. There isn’t anything meaningful I can say publicly about current developments but they are chugging along nicely.

>>7683146
>So why did you leave that (HFT)?

I got into finance largely by chance and while the work was extremely interesting it wasn’t my primary passion and I wasn’t planning on working in the field for as long as I did, which was actually only about three years. I started at an extremely small HFT shop that ended up getting acquired by one of the most successful quant funds in the world, it wasn’t quite RenTec caliber but it was close. I had some specific things I wanted to experience there and a number in compensation that I wanted to reach and once those were met I left. I should add that the desk I helped run was quickly losing profitability as the space we were operating in was becoming saturated and this helped in my decision. I could have moved over to another desk but I felt the time was right to go.

>Also how does pay compare between the trading and SpaceX?

The two can’t be compared at all. I was a very small fish at my shop but I worked alongside PM’s who cleared $10-15 million/year in profit sharing. One of the principles who ran the fund had annual compensation in the low nine figures.

>>7684362
>What work do you do at spacex? (Curious as you came from HFT)

I would prefer not saying exactly what I do here. I will say that I’m not on the software side of things and my undergrad background was MechE/Aero and Applied Math.

>>7685421
>These are NSA employees trying to identify you, don't give em information

Thanks for the heads up anon.

>> No.7711858

>>7695265
>what is the end goal of spacex for hyperloop

SpaceX isn't actually involved with any of the hyperloop companies. I do however know a couple of SpaceX/Tesla employees who left to join Hyperloop Tech here in LA.

>>7696134
>What's your education (undergrad and grad), what do you work as, is this your first job, how long have you worked there, and how much are you paid?

MechE/Aero & Applied Math B.Sc. I won’t get into exactly what it is I do here but this is not my first job. I previously worked at Caltech/JPL and did research fellowships at Aerospace Corp in El Segundo, IDA/CCR and then a three year stint in finance. I did intern at SpaceX while in undergrad. My comp is around $127k.

>> No.7711904

>>7708147
how is the pay at SpaceX

>> No.7711959

>>7711858
Thanks for your detailed answers.

Do you personally think Musk's timeline (human on Mars by 2025, so let's say before 2030) is realistic? Do you share his vision/goal of making life multi-planetary or do you not really care what SpaceX does as long as you can work on rockets?

Also spacesuits fucking when? We've been waiting for a while now. :^)

>> No.7712007

>>7711959
>Also spacesuits fucking when? We've been waiting for a while now
What he said. Would be cool to see something new in the spacesuit-department some time down the road.

>> No.7712110

>>7708202
Wishes + realizing what's doable.

>> No.7712150

>>7712007
strangely enough, both the SpaceX spacesuit and Dragon2 interior designs were recently revealed... by Vogue magazine! Apparently they are both stylish enough for a fashion magazine.

>> No.7712155

>>7712150
and a funny tidbit about the suit: It has a zipper along the inseam from ankle to ankle, you pull it on through its crotch.

>> No.7712182

Daily reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with crying and doesn't make you any less of a man.

>> No.7712190

How is this thread still alive? This is like the mellon transform thread last december

>> No.7712267

>>7712150
Not the full spacesuit, though.

>> No.7712463

>>7698089
>Calls fear of the dark rational

>Backs it up with probably the most irrational ramble I've ever seen on /sci/

>> No.7713331

>>7711904
>how is the pay at SpaceX
Pay is lower than the industry standard, particularly for those just entering the workforce but also for more experienced hires.

It does ramp up well though after you've been here a while and promotions can come quickly due to the high turnover, especially if you build a good rep.

>>7711959
>Thanks for your detailed answers.
Np.

>Do you personally think Musk's timeline (human on Mars by 2025, so let's say before 2030) is realistic? Do you share his vision/goal of making life multi-planetary or do you not really care what SpaceX does as long as you can work on rockets?
It's hard for me to give a good answer to this as I tend to be extremely conservative in my own projections but I am also incredibly excited about the possibilities. I personally think 2025 may be too optimistic but 2030 wouldn’t surprise me. I think evaluating our progress in the next 3-5 years will allow for a much more informed assessment of where we stand.

I certainly share the vision that making humans multi-planetary is necessary if for no other purpose than to further our sense of discovery. Whether SpaceX is the one to accomplish this or not is largely irrelevant to me. Even if SpaceX goes on to fail as a company our work will not go to waste, someone else will improve upon the things we’ve learned here. In the meantime, getting to watch rockets being built and assembled everyday is a pretty nice perk.

>Also spacesuits fucking when? We've been waiting for a while now. :^)
I have no interaction with that design group so I can’t give much info there, sorry.

>> No.7713336

SPACE

youtube.com/watch?v=MvacG_nhD34

>> No.7714718

>>7713331
>I personally think 2025 may be too optimistic but 2030 wouldn’t surprise me
That's pretty much my stance as well, especially since Elon tends to be very optimistic about timelines and succumbs to Hofstadter's law pretty much every time, as seen with Falcon Heavy (it's been three years since the initial planned launch date soon I think). I think either the 2029 or the 2031 Mars opposition may very well see human flights. Glad to see people in the know think similarly.

>>7713331
>I have no interaction with that design group so I can’t give much info there, sorry
Don't worry, it was mostly a joke. I don't really care that much about the suits, for all I care they can show them off a week before the first manned ISS flight.

Does Elon come and go a lot in one day or does he tend to stay a full day at SpaceX and then not be there another? I know he has that jet of his, so he definitely could do a couple trips every day, but I'm not sure whether he actually switches that often.

>> No.7715404

>>7714718
>especially since Elon tends to be very optimistic
He does tend to be extremely optimistic on timelines. The longer I work here the more I think its just a method to insure fast paced development.

Also, I think it takes a kind of unrealistic optimism to do what he does. I love my work but I don't think I'd be willing to take the kind of risks with my own money that Elon does.

>Does Elon come and go a lot in one day or does he tend to stay a full day at SpaceX and then not be there another? I know he has that jet of his, so he definitely could do a couple trips every day, but I'm not sure whether he actually switches that often.
Elon spends the vast majority of his time here. I'm guessing he travels up to the Bay Area every few weeks but its very rare that he doesn't put in a full 40-50 hour week here. Our building is right off the runway and I've seen him come and go on his jet but its definitely not a daily or even weekly occurrence. I don't think he even has a house in the Bay Area and last I heard he just stays at Larry Page's house.

While Tesla's headquarters are in Palo Alto their design center is actually a neighboring building here in Hawthorne and I bet that helps to cut down on his trips.

>> No.7715431

>>7715404

If the FAA gives the no go on the landing attempt, are they going to try for the drone or just let it hit the water again?

>> No.7715442

>>7715431
I'm confident the FAA will give approval but if not we'll try for the barge again.

>> No.7716239

>>7712463
Underrated post.

>> No.7716248

How the hell is this shitpost thread still alive?

>> No.7716323

>>7716248
Someone has a bot notifying him every time it gets close to the last page.

>> No.7716357
File: 294 KB, 1462x1462, 1449376839037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7673855
>Those autistic bobble head nods

>> No.7716638
File: 161 KB, 405x533, elon_illustrated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7716248
Elon is just that good. Merely talking about him keeps a thread alive for weeks.

>> No.7716665

>>7716248
>>7716638
Well at least we got some interesting first hand info from the SpaceX anon.

I wish more people from top companies/research labs would post here.