[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 64 KB, 620x413, nyoom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7663502 No.7663502 [Reply] [Original]

It's been awhile since I've seen a good lateral thinking/logic puzzle thread on here.
Let's fix that.
Post your favorite lateral-thinking challenges, followed by links to the solutions (or posts, whatever).

I'll start:

You are performing an experiment to fine-tune a new electron accelerator.
An electron stream is emitted alongside a laser-pulse aimed directly at a detector plate.
You notice that the electrons are striking the plate before the photons from the laser pulse.
After checking and recalibrating your equipment countless times, you determine that there is no equipment error: the electrons are traveling faster than the photons.

>The electron stream and laser pulse both travel in a straight line and strike the detector at a 90 degree angle
>The e- stream and laser pulse are contained inside individual inert tubes to prevent contamination
>This takes place in our universe; the speed of light is the same
>Assume the lab to be at STP
>Assume that no laws of physics are being violated

Explain this discrepancy.

[Give up? Here's the solution: http://strawpoll.me/6025995]

>> No.7663521

>>7663502
So, just checking, but do the laser pulse and e- pulse both travel through the _same_ tube, or is it two separate tubes?

>> No.7663526

>>7663521
Two separate tubes

>> No.7663530

>>7663521
Because if it's the same tube, then I can only assume that the laser pulse is scattering off of, or otherwise being slowed down by passing through, the electron stream. I know that passing through various media can slow down light.

If it's different tubes, could the magnetic field from the nearby electron stream be affecting the light somehow?

>> No.7663537

>>7663502
>checks solution

That is absolutely equipment error, you idiot.

>> No.7663985

>>7663502
is that on the inside? (referring to the solution) that's fucking retarded, the first thing I thought of was air in the tube. Was expecting something more :/

>> No.7664011

OP is fucking retarded, abandon thread immediately.