[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 35 KB, 448x300, b6c467261ceebdba2a40a526f01b3731e560534a1c6b8edfd0a6d4a41327bfe2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7589967 No.7589967 [Reply] [Original]

Are we fucked? I keep reading all this shit about how New York is gonna be underwater by the end of the century and there are gonna be wars over water and food, is this true? I've also read that there was an increased amount of ice in the Arctic in 2014, and the 'warmists' are just pushing their agenda. What should I believe? Have we dug ourselves too deep into the shithole? Are we making progress towards lowering CO2 emissions? What are the real consequences of global warming?

>> No.7589973

start worrying when penthouses in manhattan start dropping in value

>> No.7589984

Climate changes all the time, were still here...

>> No.7589988

>>7589973

Anon consequential sea level rise is a trailing effect of climate change, not an early indicator.

>> No.7589996

First fucking and most important things: Ice ages are transient, and we are currently in an ice age.

The Earth doesn't always have permanent polar ice caps. Most of Earth's geological history did not include ice caps. They are eventually going to melt sooner or later.

The thing about climate change or global warming is that it doesn't matter. What matters is the location of infrastructure and resources. Coastal cities will inevitably be inundated in the future, it is unavoidable.

The reason why global warming is "important" is because relocating cities like New York, London, Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, etc., is going to be stupid expensive, and it's more cost-effective in the short run to slow down climate change rather than speed up the inevitable.

But you can't stop it. It's stupid to think you can stop it. This is the main problem with current liberal (left wing) perceptions of global warming. That shit's gonna melt whether or not your carbon footprint is zero or 999^999.

>> No.7590012

>>7589996
Hmmmmmmm, I see

>> No.7590019

>>7589996
It isn't an argument that climate changes but the impact we have on the environment and how rapid it is. Things change naturally but I don't think that is much of an argument to ignore how we could reduce our impact.

>> No.7590033

>>7589996

>This is the main problem with current liberal (left wing) perceptions of global warming.
You say this as if even one single "right wing" climate change policy expert or demagogue has claimed "climate fluctuations on geological timescales indicate that potentially catastrophic sea level increases will inevitably occur, even if anthropological factors are not present to accelerate the process!!!" At MOST theses days, some will still argue "muh temperature fluctuations, nothin' to do with us." And that's not the same thing. It's a political smokescreen for flat-out denial of climate change, which is horseshit.

Aside from which, the difference that humankind imparts on the melting ice sheets amounts to thousands of years, if not more. So of course stopping global warming is "important" with regards to preserving coastal infrastructure which is essential to our civilization. Not to mention that future advancements in geoengineering science and technology could allow us to finely manipulate climate cycles before they become a problem.

Plus, you have completely neglected to mention how fucked we may be if major oceanic currents shut down due to changes in marine salinity levels.

Also
>and we are currently in an ice age.
Source? Mainstream consensus to my knowledge is that, if anything, human industry has caused the circumvention of an ice age.

Are you from /pol/?

>> No.7590061

Global warming is a real issue, however it tends to overshadow the multitude of other environmental issues that we are faced with, such as the increasing rate of extinctions around the world, change in ocean PH, what to do with all the garbage we generate, how to preserve the remaining natural ecosystems, air polution, and much more

>> No.7590080

>>7590061

All of those problems are at least strongly correlated with climate change, ocean acidity most of all.

>> No.7590108
File: 936 KB, 500x494, tumblr_nfx9yz3mZ41tq5rtdo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7590033

>Bla bla bla, I'm a fag.
>Plus, you have completely neglected to mention how fucked we may be if major oceanic currents shut down due to changes in marine salinity levels.

"We". No, not "we". "Some" isn't "we". If 95% of humans died directly due to climate change, there would still be around 500 million persons alive on Earth. Humans will be fine. I'm not worried about the integrity of the species.

>Source?
https://books.google.pt/books?id=PkScAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA573&lpg=PA573&dq=ice+age+permanent+ice+cap+definition&source=bl&ots=98VyQctrSN&sig=rrJeY-2KOl2nwbaTvD9xN0xDYTM&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ice%20age%20permanent%20ice%20cap%20definition&f=false

>Mainstream consensus to my knowledge is that, if anything, human industry has caused the circumvention of an ice age.
A change in climate is not the same as the change in/exiting an ice age. There are many climates on a planet which is an ice age, and these climates may change.

Even if all the permanent Arctic sea ice melts, we're still going to be in an ice age as long as Greenland and Antarctica are as they are.

You're clearly uninformed as liberals today usually are, which hurts my balls because I'm more of a liberal than you. It always hurts more when "one of your own" is a fucking moron.

>> No.7590110

>>7589967
start checking coastal property mortgage length and flood insurance availability

>> No.7590124

>>7589967
We're headed into a new ice age. Not manmade.

>> No.7590292

>>7589967
Shit is going to happen, just not as fast as most published predictions. It is policy to publish the most worrisome results first so people do shit about it, but I'd agree with >>7589996 regerdainggg the stoping of global warming. It's gonna happen, and we need to find our way in the new world that is going to be created. We are too far down the line to stop it, best prepare for it.

>> No.7590312

What if our level of intelligence isn't meant to exist on planets but in space.

>> No.7590364

>>7589996
>Ice ages are transient, and we are currently in an ice age.
noooooo we are not. we are in icehouse conditions but in an interglacial period.

>> No.7590389
File: 245 KB, 914x819, Fundamentals of Weather and Climate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7590364

I'm going to pretend you're not trolling.

>> No.7591028

>>7590292
>We are too far down the line to stop it
Says who?
Also, even if we are too late to stop it, we should definitely stop making it worse.

>> No.7591285

>>7590389
You guys are both right, keep reading bitch

>> No.7591311

>>7589967
i think we are fine, also climate is self regulative, the earth wont be overflooded or something

>> No.7591317

>>7589967
1) No we aren't fucked.
2) It's probably not true, especially since we can't completely predict the future.

We're making progress. But as long as we use combustion processes as a means of energy then we can't really go anywhere. Unless big business gets on board with green energy (I've seen some really cool ways they could implement this) then we can't make much progress.
The real consequences of the average temperature of the globe increasing come down to basic chemistry and biology. Ocean acidification affects the whole ocean ecosystem. Basic thermodynamics shows that heating anything up generally increases entropy in a system. So if the system is our earth then the probability of things getting messier and more disordered increases. I'm not sure why this whole thread so far is an ice age circle jerk, cause that's not the immediate problem. The immediate problem is sustainability and the lack of it. I'm pretty confident we'll make huge progress in lessening CO2 emissions soon enough, I'm just worried at what point we (not you and I, but the people who ACTUALLY make decisions) are going to say "Hey, maybe we should do something differently".

>> No.7591492

>>7589967
This might be true but not because of climate change. In theory we should have enough material, workforce and knowledge to build shelters and adjusted farms to keep everyone alive.

Climate chance is a thing that happened before and will happen again. Blame the sun our orbit. Nobody is sure how much exactly we could slow this down by stopping emissions of CO2, but it isn't much. It might give us some more years?

This doesn't mean we shouldn't slow down our emissions, though. At the moment we don't really plan ahead and use up our resources and ruin our soils like there's no tomorrow.

The real consequences of global warming is a slightly different earth for a period of time. Animals (Humans) and plants will do what they always do and try to dodge it by wandering away from the rising sea levels, in the directions of the poles or up. Those who don't make it die or adapt. Like I said, I think mankind will easily adapt and the wars are won by the strong ones, as always. So if you're lucky and you live in a rich country, you don't have to worry except for ethical problems if you swing that way.

>> No.7591528

>>7589967
Water scarcity and conflict aren't entirely a climate issue, a lot of it has to do with overpopulation, rampant pollution and privatisation of water sources.

>> No.7591725

Why do sea levels rise when polar caps melt? Doesn't water expand and take up more volume when it freezes?

>> No.7591736

>>7589967
nah we're fine. muh CO2 doesn't mean shit really.

the only thing we have to worry about is people throwing trash in the ocean which makes it hard for algae to absorb CO2 or cutting down forests without replanting them for later harvest.

we should just focus on actual environmental problems instead of muh co2.

>> No.7591743

>>7591725
Both the polar caps are sitting on land. If that ice melts it's no longer on land and it adds to the ocean water.

>> No.7591745

>>7591725
Its frozen above sea level. If antarctica was an subsurface ice sheet, then the sea level would shrink as it melted, but the earth's surface would probably be 3/4 water instead of 2/3 to begin with