[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 42 KB, 499x831, 1425332748210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7573579 No.7573579 [Reply] [Original]

I hear on the science channel that the big bang traveled faster than the speed of light.

How is that possible?

>> No.7573582

The concept of the speed of light being any sort of "cosmic speed limit" isn't due to evidence as much as convention and scientists being afraid to let go of the past.

>> No.7573612

>>7573582
Or, you know, experimental evidence like in the Michelson-Morey experiment. Or the observation that our cosmic horizon expands at the speed of light. Or the fact that the math behind the "cosmic speed limit" has yet to break down, and all observations against it have been discredited.

>>7573579
Let me clear up the science for you. The Big Bang didn't travel faster than the speed of light. The Big Bang didn't travel. It expanded faster than the speed of light. How? It currently does. Think about it this way: If you were in a race, but you could only see other runners moving relative to you, what would it look like? People moving slower would be moving backward, while faster people would be going forward. You would appear stationary relative to yourself. But that's also how everyone else appears. To someone far behind you, people ahead of you appear to be moving way faster than they appear to you. This is what's called relativity. Now go back to the universe. If the universe is expanding from every point, that means that objects farther away from us will appear to move away faster. They aren't moving faster though, the universe is simply expanding between them, a process which creates more universe, which then expands, and you get the picture. The rate of this exponential expansion is directly related to the Hubble constant. The farther away you go, the faster things appear to be moving away from us, because space is expanding between us and them. So after a certain distance, those objects would appear to travel faster than the speed of light. They aren't actually moving faster relative to us, but space is expanding between them, and the rate of expansion has recently been shown to be accelerating.

>> No.7573703

>>7573612
/thread

>> No.7573710

loader brontoporko

>> No.7574980

>>7573612
>realize the universe will continue expanding until the distance between individual particles is so great that there will never be any chance of interactions, thus killing the universe
i'm scared, /sci/, hold me

>> No.7575107
File: 245 KB, 500x342, 1420412572030.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7574980
Don't worry. You won't be alive to see the end times.