[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3.58 MB, 630x354, 1436852550960.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7570803 No.7570803 [Reply] [Original]

What I learned about the BF-109 is that at low speeds, it's wing front automatically drooped to increase turn radius. And planes have had 'combat' flap settings for a while.
It makes sense to me why more lift would make turn radius smaller.

Can someone explain the physics behind why Airbrakes and increased drag also improves turn radius? As in, makes it smaller?
Typical minimum radius turn is full power and full airbrakes. It seems to me that if you want one, it opposes the other, so you'd get null effect.

I must be missing something.

Help me /sci/

>inb4>>>/k/

>> No.7570806

>>7570803
Fuck I'm tired.
It would DECREASE turn radius. More lift and less weight decreases turn radius because of angular momentum.

More thrust helps because the turn gives more drag both induced from lift and from parasitic, and bleeds off speed.

Why does more drag in the form of airbrakes- which contribute no lift- help?

>> No.7570930

>>7570803
There a thing that has been bothering me for a while about planes in general.
If you play Warthunder on realistic mode, there will be a shitton of angular momentum due to the fact that it is single propeller plane with hundreds if not thousands of horsepowers, which makes it hard to take off properly. Now what if there is a counter-rotating flywheel inside in airplane, wouldnt that cancel out the angular momentum vector and make the airplane more flyable?

>> No.7570934

>>7570930
If you play on Simulator mode I think you mean, then yes. I tried with a friend for laughs, and it was a fun couple of minutes.

One would think. But the hard part about Sim mode is that it gives you no help with the rudder to keep you out of spins and counteract the angular momentum. I like to build up speed on the runway with flaps raised, and when I'm ready to lift back, drop flaps and pull up simultaneously. You accelerate quicker on the ground with less drag to get to a higher speed faster.

As for your question, I imagine it might work. The horsepower rating doesn't really matter I'd imagine, it's more the rotational inertia of the prop and it's rotating speed.

>> No.7571779

Anything? Any smart physics professionals?

>> No.7571792

>>7570803
Centripetal/Centrifugal force

Your mass is constant. Assume you want fly a turn with radius r. Now calculate the force you need to make this turn at two different velocities, what do you notice?

tl;dr: decreasing speed lessens the total amount of work/lift your wings have to do to complete the turn

>> No.7571809

>>7571792
to slightly iterate

Every plane has an optimal turn speed at a certain altitude and you want to keep that speed during the turn. If you go too slow the wings cannot generate enough lift to provide the adequate centripetal force. If you go too fast you notice that your wings can generate alot of force, but the amount of centripetal force needed is even higher, because that increases with v^2. So naturally there is an optimum velocity, which depends on a few factors like air density etc.

So if you are above that speed you really want to slow down with the airbrakes, the turn will drain your speed though and after the turn you probably want to accelerate again fast, so it often makes sense to give full throttle in the turn, because the engine needs time to rev up etc.

>> No.7571821

makes pivot at Center of mass thru 3 quantum turns

>> No.7571828

That whole airbrakes thing is shit, don't believe it.
Planes have an optimal turn speed - too low and it's can pull its max Gs, too high and it can pull max Gs, but the turn radius is larger due to velocity.
Bf-109 has slats/slots deployed at some angles of attack - it helps with the flow on the upper wing surface.
More lift enables the plane to hit its max Gs at lower velocities, which means tighter turns

>>7570930
Torque is generated either by increasing sometihng's angular velocity (engine revving up) or something spinning and creating some force in the meantime (brakes, propellers). In case of propellers, they create drag - which can't be countered by a flywheel. It has to be countered by another propeller or some other force. Read up about coaxial propellers and helicopter tail rotors.

t. Aerospace Engineer.

>> No.7572027

>>7571828
OP here.

I'm trying to be an aero engineer too, where did you go to school if you don't mind the question?

I can accept that the airbrakes thing is shit, it never seemed right to have full throttle and full airbrakes both going at any one time.

So if the drag force twists one direction, that means the plane could more easily aileron roll in one direction than the other? And that would be opposite the propeller?

Thanks m8

>> No.7572075

>>7572027
In Poland, so that probably doesn't concern you too much.
And yes, it theoretically does that, but I don't think it would matter that much.

>> No.7572093

>>7572075
Thanks a lot, you've raised my opinion rating of this site and board.

>> No.7572100
File: 3 KB, 429x410, 1326229618392.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7572093
To add to the roll rate this - most pilots roll to their left (counterclockwise), because it's the easier movement when your hand is on the stick.
And thank you, anon. You're cute.

>> No.7572118

>>7572100
>>>/adv/16315431

I'm really not.