[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 115 KB, 647x627, STEM women.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7533538 No.7533538 [Reply] [Original]

Why do you fags get so triggered when people bring up getting more women into STEM?

Do you enjoy your classes being complete sausagefests with 6 dudes to 1 girl?

Must be engineers.

>> No.7533542

Usually because there's an implication that it's somehow mens fault that women aren't interested in STEM.

And that men should fix this, because women are incapable of doing it themselves.

>> No.7533543

>>7533538
Because most engineers like me and other STEM's can't concentrate on their work around women they make us nervous jeez is it that hard to understand

>> No.7533545

why is it an issue?

>> No.7533547

>>7533538
We gotta get more women in STEM asap. But it has to become a cultural thing.

Also doesn't STEM mean, Science, Technology, Education, and Medical? Education and Medical has tons of women in it.

>> No.7533551

You are trying to factor gender in it. Whoever wants to get into STEM can just do it, but you demand special action for women.
> women don't get into STEM as much as men do.
So ? Who says there have to be equal numbers of men and women ?

>> No.7533552

>>7533538
>complete sausagefests with 6 dudes to 1 girl?
lel, I know a girl who graduated with single figure other females (can't remember the exact number) in a cohort of hundreds of engineers across the disciplines.

Doing geology at the moment and it wouldn't be much short of 50-50, maybe 35-40% women.

>> No.7533555

>>7533547
.....no.
No, it doesn't

Science, Tech, Engineering, Math

>> No.7533557

>>7533545
Because women make up a large fraction of the world's population. If we can get more of them in, they can contribute to the field.

>> No.7533558

>>7533555
Ahh I see.

>> No.7533559

>>7533545
>>7533557
also most people who aren't engineers don't like sitting in a crowded, cramped auditorium with a bunch of sweaty dudes

>> No.7533561

>>7533557
what difference does it make who is contributing?

>> No.7533563

>>7533538
>Whites are under represented as employees in STEM fields.
>THIS IS A MASSIVE PROBLEM, QUOTAS NAW!

>Asians are massively over represented as employees in STEM fields.
>There are no issues here, in fact it's beneficial to the company.

This is why no one takes you or your ilk seriously.

>> No.7533565

You know how we do it? We get gotta put more STEM women in movies.

Hear me out.....that gets more girls interested at a young age. Give them some sort of empowered female hero and there you go.

You guys think i'm joking and trying to be ironic, i'm not. Deadass.

>> No.7533567

why not just keep the doors open in all fields and allow women to gravitate to whichever they fancy ?
No need to shovel all the women into all the STEM, we need females in low paying fields too you know ?

>> No.7533570

>>7533561
There's absolutely no different, but culturally, humanity has progressed when we all take interest in a certain thing. It won't make those contributions more impactful, but they'll add a different perspective to the fields they go in. Especially on a massive scale if they all come together and take interest.

>> No.7533571

>>7533538
there are a shit load of girls in our engineering building and presumably the programs

>> No.7533576

>>7533570
>but culturally, humanity has progressed when we all take interest in a certain thing
Where does this idea come from?
>It won't make those contributions more impactful, but they'll add a different perspective to the fields they go in
This seems like a contradiction.

It's interesting that the courses I took in college with more women in them emphasized style in grading.

>> No.7533582

>>7533538
If you want to get laid, go to the night club, dude. Classes are for education, not for fucking. It is as simple as that.

>> No.7533584

>>7533571
where anon?

I'm a little jealous. Intelligence is pretty hot in a woman.

>> No.7533586

>>7533558
scabious cunt

>> No.7533589

>>7533584
No. A nice body is.

>> No.7533591

>>7533570
then why aren't there campaigns to encourage men to become nurses or teachers ?

also why should we encourage women to do something they actually don't want to do ?
source : based norway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJVJ5QRRUE

>> No.7533595

>>7533589
you clearly never had to speak to a dumb woman in your life.
Or your standards are so low you would have sex with a rock anyway.

>> No.7533603

>>7533576
>This seems like a contradiction.
How so? You can shed new light on a subject without it being a huge impact.

>> No.7533604

>>7533595
Why do you feel the need to protect your ego on a taiwanese beetle collector forum?

>> No.7533612

You can't force participation. Don't turn any girls away, but don't waste time chasing them down. You'll just wind up with unqualified seat-fillers that way.

>> No.7533613

>>7533591
>then why aren't there campaigns to encourage men to become nurses or teachers ?
There aren't any campaigns to encourage women to jump into STEM, it's just sort of implied it'd be a good thing for women to do. Nurses and teacher jobs don't have a much higher rate of female more than male, the number is pretty high. You can't compare the two

>also why should we encourage women to do something they actually don't want to do ?

This isn't encouraging them to do something they don't want to do, this is helping them expand their career palette. If you can show them that it is normal for them to take interest in these things as males do, then hypothetically more women would gravitate towards it.

>> No.7533614

>>7533604
how is that protecting my ego ?

>> No.7533616

>>7533603
what scale of impact do you want to look at? if women's participation yields some unique contributions i would be surprised. i'm not saying they don't contribute in a unique way. i enjoy having women around. i wouldn't mind if stem was 100% women if it meant we were doing something objectively better for stem. what if because men have historically contributed more to stem, their being pushing them out means we're hurting progress? that's not something stem feminists are concerned with.

>> No.7533622

>>7533616
>their being pushing them
their being pushed

>> No.7533626

>>7533589
They're both pretty hot fam

Just that intelligence has diminishing returns in sexiness whereas I don't think that ever happens for beauty.

If you've ever tried to be in a relationship with an average or not-so-bright chick, you know how excruciating it is.

>> No.7533630

>>7533616
>their being pushing them out means we're hurting progress? that's not something stem feminists are concerned with.

Who the fuck said they were being pushed? I'm just throwing out there, that maybe we should start advertising these things with open arms. These people aren't forced to do anything, you can't force someone to pursue a certain field in college. You can inspire them to. Which is what i'm saying. We should start inspiring more young women to get into the field. If they don't want to do it,then hell they just don't, but they should know that they can and have the option to. You don't have to be a liberal arts major or some a fucking nurse or educator, none of that is bad, but you can also take up STEM confidently.

>> No.7533635

>>7533630
>Who the fuck said they were being pushed?
nobody. a mechanical engineering program at state school X has 100 seats. we have to fill it with 50 women. are we getting the best possible candidates?

>> No.7533656

>>7533635
>nobody. a mechanical engineering program at state school X has 100 seats. we have to fill it with 50 women. are we getting the best possible candidates?

I didn't understand what you were saying at first. Who's to say all those seats are being filled with women who know their full potential? Obviously there's testing standards that will let the school know who's of value and who isn't. You don't make new rules for them. The whole point is just getting more women interested.

>> No.7533659

>Do you enjoy your classes being complete sausagefests with 6 dudes to 1 girl?

I don't mind a little gangbang.

>> No.7533667

>>7533656
>Obviously there's testing standards that will let the school know who's of value and who isn't. You don't make new rules for them.
the testing standards are superseded by quota rules.

the problem I see is that the only way to test it is college acceptance rates. what's suggest that the amount of women interested isn't at saturation?

>> No.7533673

>>7533613

87% of teachers in the US are WOMEN
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.PRM.TCHR.FE.ZS
so yeah it's even worse than in stem.

only 10% of nurses are men
https://www.census.gov/people/io/files/Men_in_Nursing_Occupations.pdf

>This isn't encouraging them to do something they don't want to do
watch the video.
Norway is the most egalitarian society in the world, which means women can do literally anything they want to do. And it's one of the countries with the smallest women:men engineer ratio, as opposed to india for example.

>> No.7533681

>>7533557
Shouldn't you just address your pro STEM propaganda to no gender specifically and just try to get the most people in board possible?

>> No.7533691

>>7533538
because apparently wiping somebody's ass is more exciting than than building shit with numbers

>> No.7533692
File: 76 KB, 664x587, college-majors-by-gender.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533691
shit i forgot the picture

>> No.7533704

>>7533692
well it is to some people.
We're wired differently, it doesn't surprise me at all.
Anyone claiming men and women are the same is retarded and will get their opinion discarded.

>> No.7533713

>>7533538

who gives a shit?

>> No.7533716
File: 929 KB, 245x200, 1421258900239.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533673
This.
People really ignore all those other jobs that have an almost entirely woman population while focusing on ones that are predominantly men.
Fucking hell.

>>7533713
It's being made a big deal about when it really shouldn't be, that's precisely why.

>> No.7533727

>>7533716
That's wrong too

They only focus on high paying jobs with men majority.

No one is advocating more women into construction for example.

>> No.7533765

why does it matter if more women get into STEM, I mean what does that actually do? Also, I don't think colleges and workplaces should be favoring people because of their ethnicity or sex.

>> No.7533769

>>7533727
they won't be paying anything if the market is flooded with twice the number of workers.

>> No.7533778

>>7533538
Because trying to bring group X into a field simply so you can say to have more members of group X results in people being there who shouldn't be, and taking up the spots of people who are both more qualified and interested.

>> No.7533780

>>7533673
Okay.....but what does that mean? Obviously men aim for higher positions in the medical and education field. While women typically don't aim that high.

>Norway is the most egalitarian society in the world, which means women can do literally anything they want to do. And it's one of the countries with the smallest women:men engineer ratio, as opposed to india for example.

What I was saying was, why not simply advertise STEM jobs leaning towards women. I'm not saying give them special rules or force them to go into these fields. Just simply advertise towards women a little more. You lose nothing from this.

>> No.7533784

Get the fuck out of here bitch. A science lab is like a military. Women would just mess things up with their incompetence.

>> No.7533788

>>7533780
Why?

Who do women need to be handholded to pick stem?
Men don't get special advertisements for stem.
Why not advertise construction jobs for women?
Why not advertise welding jobs for women?

>> No.7533789

There are no laws that women shouldn't do science. They just suck at it. Now go make me a sandwich.

>> No.7533791

>>7533538
Because women don't have equal ability in STEM, and attempts to get more women into STEM jobs are discriminating against more qualified men.

>> No.7533794

>>7533788
>Why?

Because it would increase the popularity of STEM jobs.
>Who do women need to be handholded to pick stem?

That's the thing, women wouldn't need to be anybody. That's the whole point of it. Show them that anybody can do it with hard work.
>Men don't get special advertisements for stem.
It's implied when you're born into a male dominated society, that you can pretty much do what you want. That's why men typically aim higher upon career ladders.
>Why not advertise construction jobs for women?
Because STEM and construction have various differences. Obviously I feel there's a strong place for women in STEM compared to construction.
>Why not advertise welding jobs for women?
Same as construction. STEM is a vast field that anybody can get into, but a majority don't because they dont' feel it suits them.

>> No.7533797

>>7533794
What about garbage drivers, pretty sure anyone can do that too.

We should put out advertisements for that asap to equalize the horrible male dominated society and show everyone can be a garbage driver.

>> No.7533799

>>7533797
>What about garbage drivers, pretty sure anyone can do that too.
My man, i'm just being open here. Obviously those jobs are things men can do, because of their strength and ability to put up with hardships.

STEM in no way has any of the similarities. Maybe engineering, but even that is just knowing the right amount of math. As a people if we were to collectively dominate STEM as countries like Germany do, I think it'd solve most of the economic crisis.

Like I said, there's certain jobs men can do to emphasize masculine and there's certain jobs women can do to emphasize feminine, STEM jobs are none of this.

>> No.7533801

Does someone have the comic with the STEM booth and the women's studies booths?

>> No.7533802
File: 67 KB, 600x600, CD3Kfw8WgAAUBBm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533801

>> No.7533803

>>7533799
Your not being open, you are being sexist.
Modern garbage driver has way lesser qualifications than stem.
Way higher% of women could do garbage driving than stem, same goes for stem.
Yet only one of these "suits women"

>> No.7533805

>>7533803
*same goes for men

>> No.7533807

>>7533545
Feminists are pushing for women to get good comfy high paying office jobs. They don't care about the lack of women in construction, coal mining, or anything that is physically demanding.

>> No.7533810

>>7533803
>Your not being open, you are being sexist.
Oh please don't start with your MRA shit. This isn't about equality or none of that shit, it's about influencing women to go for a certain field to see the results it'd produce. I actually think this is the answer to a lot of the problems. I want to tell kids in the ghettos to aim for STEM as well.

>Modern garbage driver has way lesser qualifications than stem.

Of course, but as a collective, garbage driving will in no way benefit a nation. You can come up with all these hypothetical and all this other bullshit about why it might, but it simply wouldn't have the perks of women flooding into STEM.

It isn't about empowering women or about this big sexist thing you're making it, it's about doing what's good for the nation and furthering the nation's hard on for science. Garbage driving doesn't do that.

And before you start, garbage truck driving is important in society and I respect the men that do it.

>> No.7533814

>>7533563
Silicon Valley prefers hiring Asians because they work for less. I see tons of Indians whenever I look at videos of the businesses there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feYjiNOdQZQ

>> No.7533815

>>7533810
Not the guy you've been arguing with.

>This isn't about equality or none of that shit, it's about influencing women to go for a certain field to see the results it'd produce
The vast majority of the people encouraging it definitely say it's about equality. You're literally the first proponent of it I've seen try to claim otherwise.

>It isn't about empowering women or about this big sexist thing you're making it, it's about doing what's good for the nation and furthering the nation's hard on for science. Garbage driving doesn't do that.
Replacing qualified people with less qualified people to have more members of group X isn't good for the nation.

>> No.7533818

>>7533810
There is the sexism pushing trough again.
>Reality doesn't match my opinions
>The other guy must be MRA

> it's about influencing women to go for a certain field to see the results it'd produce
Oh yeah, why not garbage drivers then?
Or taxi drivers if garbage driving is too hard?

>but it simply wouldn't have the perks of women flooding into STEM.
Which is what exactly?
Why not flood women into taxi driving and get more men into stem?

>good for the nation
So you have some statistics about this?
Maybe women productivity stats in stem or women inventions or patent applications?
And putting more women over more qualified men is objectively bad, same as affirmative action, why should people less qualified take spots from more competent people?

>And before you start, garbage truck driving is important in society and I respect the men that do it.
Then why not advertise women into it?
Do you not respect women doing it?

>> No.7533838

It's all corporate lies to get cheaper labor. Women are willingly to do the exact same jobs as men for lower wages. It's a Jewish conspiracy.

>> No.7533844

>>7533784
Washington makes a big deal about opening combat arms to women, but they don't discuss making the physical standards the same. Women have physical lowers standards in every branch of the military, but they want to focus on opening jobs that very few women rather than making the physical standards equal.

>> No.7533848

>>7533815
>The vast majority of the people encouraging it definitely say it's about equality. You're literally the first proponent of it I've seen try to claim otherwise.

Okay, let's say fuck those people. They mean nothing to this argument. We advertise this, none politically. it's not "hey you're equal" it's "hey, you guys think you can offer something?"

>Replacing qualified people with less qualified people to have more members of group X isn't good for the nation.

That's the thing, I've stated earlier, you test them. if they can't meet the standards than they go somewhere else. I obviously said, not special rules. If they score high, then add them. But we shouldn't count them out, there might be gems among women.

>> No.7533862

>>7533848
What's the point of advertising?
The people intelligent enough to contribute surely already know to choose for themselves.
The other people shouldn't apply in the first place.

How about we advertise to men too, surely there are gems in the men too.
Maybe encourage the women who fail the test to sign up for coal mining, military or garbage driving and get the men from there to try out for stem.
That's a pretty good plan I must say so myself.

>> No.7533874

>>7533538
Usually women simply do not want to go into STEM. In countries wit the greatest levels of equality in the world STEM has the lowest number of women. Everyone needs to stop trying to deny our brains are biologically different with certain interests more wired than others. The reason it would bother us as well is because in denying this reality, all the scholarships and jobs are going to go to women over more qualified men and then complain the whole way through their career how much more privileged men are.

>> No.7533882

>>7533818
>>Reality doesn't match my opinions
>>The other guy must be MRA
No, I said you're a MRA, because you're obviously hinting at identity politics. It isn't an insult if you are, i'm just saying this is an argument a MRA would come up with, but fuck it. Forget I said that, let's take politics out of this.

>Oh yeah, why not garbage drivers then?
>Or taxi drivers if garbage driving is too hard?

Because those wouldn't produce the advancements STEM jobs would produce. There's no advancements being made in the career of taxi drivers, therefore you wouldnt need new blood in taxi driving. However there's constantly new blood in STEM jobs. All discovering new things, and expanding the field exponentially could bring promising hopes on a societal scale. When women jump into it on a massive scale, we get an entire nation dominated on that study.

>Which is what exactly?
Obviously the benefit of different minds in the field and studying with the same rules and standards of the males.

>Why not flood women into taxi driving and get more men into stem?

I've already told you, taxi driving producing no results scientifically or technologically.

>And putting more women over more qualified men is objectively bad, same as affirmative action, why should people less qualified take spots from more competent people?

You keep bringing up TAKING SPOTS, my whole argument is simply to advertise towards women. Women aren't taking anyone's spot. If the woman can't pass the tests the men are given, then obviously they shouldn't be allowed to go in. Why is this so hard for you to understand? There's no new rules or any quota.

>Then why not advertise women into it?
Because it wouldn't be as beneficial as women taking interest in STEM jobs. There's no perks of advertising for them to go into that field, because STEM would produce more results.

Do you not respect women doing it?
Of course. I've already said I do, they're much needed to keep the streets clean.

>> No.7533896

>>7533862
>What's the point of advertising?
>The people intelligent enough to contribute surely already know to choose for themselves.

Advertising not to just adult to young adults. Showing these girls you can also do this. Hoping they'll take an interest and study and display some sort of talent in the subject. Not only that, but not everyone knows of these degrees.

Also i'm sure that the women who didn't know about STEM but are interested would go out and read more about it as soon as they heard.

>How about we advertise to men too, surely there are gems in the men too.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. I assumed sense it was male dominated that males were the ones talking amongst their peers about it and doing the research. The reason I said women, is because I wanted to spark an idea in their mind.

>> No.7533904

>>7533882
>No, I said you're a MRA
And you are blatantly sexist.

>Because those wouldn't produce the advancements STEM jobs would produce
Yes?
So put women into taxi driving and more men into stem then, fills that condition.

>simply to advertise towards women
Why not advertise to both genders?
Why do you single out women constantly to be the ones needing hand holding?
Why not invite everyone and only take the best.
Why is that so hard to understand?

And worse still, why do women need to be advertised to apply?
Aren't they smart enough to do so on their own? Have you considered that those people probably shouldn't apply in the first place?

>Because it wouldn't be as beneficial as women taking interest in STEM jobs.
Still haven't demonstrated any factual benefits here.
Not to mention again that women are entirely free to choose stem already.

For the good of the nation everyone should be put into stem first and then those who fail into progressively lower jobs.
Yet somehow you only seem to advocate more women into stem and no women into taxi driving.
Shouldn't lower performing women be advertised to apply for low influence jobs as well?
Why the double standards?

>>7533896
Why not show men?
Why are you singling out girls?

And are you seriously implying women don't KNOW about stem?
This is 2015 mate.
Why not spark the idea in mens mind as well?
If women haven't heard of stem then surely men haven't neither.

>> No.7533908

>>7533882

Can you explain clearly why exactly it is an issue at all that this particular field is male dominated? I've read the thread but I'm really struggling to understand a logical answer here, what I think is being implied is that more women will somehow help STEM fields achieve better results by their mere presence alone.

>> No.7533915

>>7533908
It is a potential perceptual bias and such biases are often detrimental to scientific advancement.

>> No.7533920

>>7533915
Are you implying that men can't do the same things women can intellectually?

If they can, why do you feel the need to force women in?
If they can't why are you forcing women in when men dominate in pretty much all statistics be it IQ, scientific achievements or overall productivity.

Not to mention women are already able to choose freely and no stem is critically dominated by men, there is plenty of women to give the "woman perspective" without forcing extra women in over men.

>> No.7533929

>>7533904
>So put women into taxi driving and more men into stem then, fills that condition.
You're not understanding. Those taxi drivers, part of the reason why they chose taxi driving is because they possibly can't into STEM. All i'm saying is women most likely pass up on STEM because they don't have the confidence or the fire to spark their mines, because it's not typically aimed at women.

>Why not advertise to both genders?
Because men are already migrating to that field. Advertise to women to let women know they can also do it if they have the same dedication.

>Why do you single out women constantly to be the ones needing hand holding?

This isn't hand holding. You're simply holding an arrow outside a coffee spot, that mostly men go to, and saying "Hey, you guys can come in too." If they don't want to come in they move right along to the next spot.

>Why not invite everyone and only take the best.
Because there's already a fraction of everyone in. Now you have to advertise to the other fraction to get them interested and enlighten them on how it isn't a "guy thing." Out of that other fraction, you mix with the guys, and take the best. But right now that fraction doesn't feel involved. THAT'S THE POINT OF ADVERTISING!

>And worse still, why do women need to be advertised to apply?
>Aren't they smart enough to do so on their own?

Obviously they're smart enough to decide. But the problem is, how many women know of STEM, but don't join because of how they perceive it as a man thing to do. It's not, anyone with the right attitude can get into it and with the right mindset you can master the craft. You'd look over all this, if you know nothing about STEM existing or conforming to gender roles. And when I say gender roles I don't mean tradition house hold roles or any of that shit. I mean the idea that an entire area of learning is simply for men. The point of the advertising is to reach that demographic.

>> No.7533931

>>7533810
Who cares if women get into stem? If your goal is to get more people in general to join stem, why not just advertise stem? By targeting women, you're leaving out all the non-stem men.

>> No.7533942

>>7533908
>Can you explain clearly why exactly it is an issue at all that this particular field is male dominated?
It isn't. I don't understand why people are assuming that's what i'm saying. I'm saying it'd also be great if we can get more women in this too. Advertising to women isn't saying "we don't want this to be male dominated" it's saying we're not gender bias and if you want to come in too, you can. At least that way you tried to pull a demographic and if shit doesn't change statistically, you tried, but none met the quota.

I don't understand it's a big issue to advertise to that demographic, because so few enter and you want to spark interest in their mind.

You'd do the same thing if you wanted to get minorities into a specific field. People need validation. If you tell someone they can do something, that doesn't instantly make them do it, it sparks a simple idea that they build on and build on.

>> No.7533950

>>7533931
>If your goal is to get more people in general to join stem, why not just advertise stem? By targeting women, you're leaving out all the non-stem men.

You can advertise those too of course. But also to women.

>> No.7533952

>>7533942
>the quota

pushing quotas is dumb. "sparking interests" and "getting minorities in the field" is dumb. the more equal a society gets in every sense, the more marked the differences in gender preference for STEM are.

stop wasting everyone's time and giving feminists a platform. you're not actively doing harm but take some responsibility for opening the way to lunatics that are already doing tons of harm

>> No.7533956

>>7533929
>Those taxi drivers, part of the reason why they chose taxi driving is because they possibly can't into STEM.
So you have studies on this?
What if they didn't know about stem?

Why do you think women would make good stem candidates if they aren't interested in stem?
This is 2015 information is free in every western country.

>Because men are already migrating to that field
Not all of them
It's factually optimal to advertise for everyone as largest pool surely leads to best candidates.

>This isn't hand holding
That's exactly what it is.
Also why not hold an arrow for men too?

>But right now that fraction doesn't feel involve
Plenty of women choose stem, how is that not involved especially if the reality was as bad as you describe it
to be?
Maybe they don't want to study stem?

>Now you have to advertise to the other fraction to get them interested
And why not simply advertise to everyone, not all men are into stem, in fact majority clearly isn't, that's again a straight fact.
How do you explain Norway, one of the highest educated and gender neutral country having lower women ratio in stem than India as some of the other anons pointed out.
Clearly the women are both able and have to knowledge to make the choice? Why don't they? Perhaps they simply choose not to, and how is that a loss to the nation if people who choose not to don't go to stem?
This simply again conflicts with the image you are trying to present.

>>7533950
Why are you singling out women?
If you want to say get more people to stem, then say that instead of women.

>>7533942
Advertising to one sex just because of their sex is exactly what gender bias is.

>> No.7533957

>>7533942
>muh diversity
One of the dumbest ideas ever created. Why should I be penalized for being an Asian male? I'm certainly more qualified than most girls who took an intro to programming course

>> No.7533963

>>7533920
>Are you implying that men can't do the same things women can intellectually?
Perception is not inherently tied to intellectual ability.

>Not to mention women are already able to choose freely
Yes, but systemic bias does and has been demonstrated to exist in blinded studies.

>there is plenty of women to give the "woman perspective"
Not generally. I have met one woman working in my field and I have been in a room with everyone in the field that matters. One person is insufficient to just cover existing literature, let alone actually try and propose new things to do.

>forcing extra women in over men
I do not believe anyone actually proposes "forcing." More like trying to remove unnecessary biases that may exist. The existence of the rather significant asymmetry is indicative of some sort of unintentional bias when such an asymmetry does not play out in real data. And before you pull out
> men dominate in pretty much all statistics be it IQ, scientific achievements or overall productivity,
it is important to note that "scientific achievements" is inherently biased by the population available. There are more high IQ men than women, but this difference is not inline with the asymmetry of the number of men vs. women in STEM fields.

>> No.7533969

is q->p logically equivalent to q and ~p

>> No.7533973

>>7533963
>Remove bias by introducing gender bias.

???

You do realize women are free to choose stem right?

Putting money into getting more women into stem is exactly the definition of gender bias and unfairly puts women over more qualified men.

>indicative of some sort of unintentional bias when such an asymmetry does not play out in real data
Can you provide data or sources for this.
Because in real world women are free to choose, they just choose not to.
The bias is in women's heads.

>but this difference is not inline with the asymmetry
It is though, there are several times more men than women with 140+ IQ's and that is the range where stem is relevant.

>> No.7533975

>>7533957
>>7533952
>>7533952
I like how you singled that line out. When I said quota, I meant standard of test. You give students equally the same test and if you get no women, it's because none passed your test.

>stop wasting everyone's time and giving feminists a platform. See, stop coming at this from a political stand point. I get you want to be mad at someone, but there's no political stance in any of this argument. The fact that you think so means you've got to come at the argument from a different perspective. If I truly did give some sort of lefty sounding stance in my argument i'm sorry I didnt mean to, but i'm sure it's just you being booty bothered by the feminazis.

>> No.7533978

>>7533975
Why not advertise to everyone equally then, that would pull out the best result by definition.

Why you single out women as the group that needs help?
Why not give men a chance too?

>> No.7533982

>>7533973
Freedom to choose does not remove bias: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474.abstract
Women are free to enter STEM and are free to pursue STEM careers, but if advancement can be decided entirely by perceived gender of an applicant, something has gone wrong and people are being systematically chosen against, regardless of their desire to pursue the field.

>> No.7533984

>>7533975
what i mean is you're enforcing gender bias against your perceived gender bias. how does that make any sense? as much as you dont want it to be, this is as politically relevant as it gets. people use these arguments and do harm with them. you gotta be politically responsible about the ideas you're spreading

>> No.7533987

>>7533973
>It is though, there are several times more men than women with 140+ IQ's and that is the range where stem is relevant.
And do you have anything supporting that the IQ distribution in the STEM fields is so heavily skewed away from normal? If you point to a handful of famous scientists, you are not demonstrating anything meaningful; I want a real distribution from a reliable source.

>> No.7533988

>>7533987
do you realize you are, if you cut the middleman, asking for proof that men dominate STEM?

why does showing people with higher IQ dominate stem count as valid, but showing men dominate stem doesn't? why is it suddenly wrong and in need of correction?

>> No.7533990
File: 10 KB, 240x191, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533978
>Why not advertise to everyone equally then, that would pull out the best result by definition.

Because women needed that extra push. As a man you don't think there's limits to what you can do. Best bet if another man has accomplished it, you think you can too. That's not the same for women. Sometimes a group of people need to be told they can also do something. Not as a fuck you to the people already doing it, but as an invitation for the best of them to come forward. Obviously there's women out there who already take interest, but I'd love to see the static results of mass advertising towards women.

It's kinda like pic-related. There weren't many women giving these jobs a chance until society encouraged it. And it produced great results at the time.

>Why not give men a chance too?
Because men are already flocking to these fields. They have confidence they can do so and are encouraged by society to do so.

>> No.7533993

>>7533978
The STEM fields are culturally an accepted male pursuit while it is not really an acceptable female pursuit. The point of advertising it is thus not to keep interested males out, but to change the public perception that girls are bad at science.

>> No.7533994

>>7533982
Women get into stem with worse grades than men
Same with minorities.

>>7533987
You claim in your own posts that stem is one of the most important fields.
It directly follows that the most intelligent people should be sent there, those people happen to be men by massive majority.

Anyway there is the first result from google
http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/
Stem fields are high IQ fields
You can clearly see the other trendline there too.

>>7533990
Why do women need hand holding?

Remember that this is in clear violation of the established goal of "good of the nation"

Remember that massive majority of men aren't in stem, since clearly there is room for both genders the optimal approach is to advertise fairly.

And again people who need hand holding shouldn't be doing these fields anyway.

>>7533993
It's the effect just worded differently.
You are trying to force people not interested in front of naturally interested people.

And again this fails to explain why one of the most gender neutral and highly educated nations have the highest numbers of males in stem.
It's in fact implying the opposite.

>> No.7533995

>>7533988
There are more "smart" men than "smart" women. By the same token, there are more "dumb" men than there are "dumb" women as the male distribution is wider in both directions, it is not just biased positively. Thus, STEM being male dominated does not lead to a significant shift from average because the male average is not meaningfully different from the average of the overall population. So, showing that the average in the STEM fields is significantly shifted form the mean is important in this regard.

>> No.7534004

>>7533994
>Women get into stem with worse grades than men
And that has what to do with a demonstrated bias towards an equally qualified male over a female how, exactly?

>http://www.randalolson.com/2014/06/25/average-iq-of-students-by-college-major-and-gender-ratio/
There are multiple things at play here outside of gender ratio which are not controlled for; this is an instance of correlation does not imply causation. More pertinent to my request, this does not show what I wanted. It does not average over the size of the fields and thus has little bearing on the overall distribution. What I can see from the graph and some other, outside sources is that more popular fields tend more towards average, which makes sense.

>> No.7534008
File: 20 KB, 546x456, figure_4_share_of_workers_with_stem_jobs_by_race.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533994
>Women get into stem with worse grades than men
>Same with minorities.

Minorities are getting these jobs though.

>> No.7534038

>>7534008
>tfw veterans are a "protected class" under affirmative action

>shit gpa, but still thrown a shitload of offer because of muh quota

>> No.7534047

>>7534038
That's for schooling, best bet if you get a shit GPA, you don't automatically pass and get a degree. Affirmative action doesn't ensure your degree.

>> No.7534050

>>7534047
i was talking more about the gorillion job offers i get.

>> No.7534114

>>7533538
Because women are biologically incompetent in STEM just like they are in manual labor, they are predisposed to think emotionally rather than logically.
Any example to the contrary is an exception to the rule.
This equality shit needs to stop, you basically want to advertise to a screwdriver to do a hammers job.

>> No.7534122

>>7533542
/thread

>> No.7534132
File: 17 KB, 429x241, male_female_bell_curve_.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533538
No reason.

>> No.7534152

>>7533995
>By the same token, there are more "dumb" men than there are "dumb" women as the male distribution is wider in both directions
Nope, see >>7534132

>> No.7534157

>>7533613
>There aren't any campaigns to encourage women to jump into STEM
Then why are 50% of the girls in my dept. receiving grants and fellowships based on their gender? They're not big sums of money but shit, chem is already a 50/50 split and it just sucks because I can't afford food at least once a month but I'm still here

>> No.7534159

>>7534132
Your figure is outdated, being replaced by studies which controlled for additional factors beside gender as well as using larger test populations.

>> No.7534160

>>7534152
See >>7534159. If you cherry pick your studies, you can get psychology results that say whatever you want. Aggregate work indicates that there is no difference in the average.

>> No.7534164

>>7533538
There is nothing stopping women from going into STEM. They get more than enough gender-specific gimmes to get them into STEM, yet they still don't go. That's not men's fault. That's not education's fault. That's not the government's fault. It's women's fault.

At some point you're just going to have to accept women aren't into math and science, and the sexes are not equal.

Or you can hunt for non-existent conspiracies forever to try and explain away the blatantly obvious.

>> No.7534173

>>7533990
>Because women needed that extra push.
Then women are not equal to men.

>> No.7534174
File: 211 KB, 900x790, artificial_womb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7534160
Mmmh, let's see...
>>7534159
>studies which controlled for additional factors beside gender
Oh my, that sure is useful when you just want to compare genders.
It sure convinced me to birth daughters willingly, and not exclusively boys.

>> No.7534193

>>7534174
>Oh my, that sure is useful when you just want to compare genders.
You aren't all that bright, are you? Let's say I want to repeat this study. I pick all of my male subjects from some poor, bum fuck town in the mountains. I pick all of my female candidates from an upper-middle class suburb of a major metropolitan center. Which do you think will perform better? Will it be because of their gender? Of course this is the problem taken to extremes, but it is meant to highlight that influences aside from gender will effect the test population and thus you must control for these factors in order to meaningfully say something about the influence of just the gender.

>> No.7534196

>>7534193
Don't worry honey, no one is going to slaughter you. Being a parasite isn't a crime yet.

>> No.7534201

>>7534196
Your a 'tard. Got it.

>> No.7534203

>>7534201
Awkward.

>> No.7534204

>>7534193
At this point >>7534196 it's no longer necessary to argue with this person. He's holding on to his last bit of pride after receiving such a devastating booty bashing.

He'll most likely insult you until he receives more leeway for an argument. He's officially out of argumentum. Now he'll respond with more things irrelevant to this conversation.

>> No.7534212

>>7534174
Not in on this argument, just some nigga from the front page, but I always found artificial wombs cool, because we could created expendable soldiers like Star Wars. Shit would be so cash.

>> No.7534213

>>7534204
Accusing of cherry-picking while cherry-picking yourself isn't an argument. This is idiocy.

Bring something else than emotional appeal and threats of social ostracism if you want a meaningful discussion.

>> No.7534215
File: 25 KB, 500x338, 1377260_232099596954277_506458697_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7534212
The artificial womb is already done really, we just can't calibrate it for humans because of muh ethics.
We have to wait for China to get to it.

>> No.7534222

>>7534215
Has the subjects actually live healthy normal lives, as animals?

>> No.7534228

>>7534213
We get it. You can't grasp the concept of controlling unwanted variables and you don't want to. It's not like it is vitally important to experimentation or anything.

>> No.7534231

>>7534215
Have they done this from sperm to egg?

>> No.7534232

>>7533542
this this this. I actually love that they push more girls into stem.

>> No.7534241

>>7534222
Nah, it was a prototype, lot of issues especially with nutrient delivery.
Rome wasn't built overnight.

>>7534231
Artificial eggs aren't needed to make artificial wombs. The engineers working on it are primarily doing it to save premature babies, so making it work with already developped embryos is the priority.

>> No.7534282

>>7533538
>Why do you fags get so triggered when people bring up getting more women into STEM?

do they push for more STEM in general? more institutes, more research positions, more professorships?
no, they don't. so their demands just boil down to "we need less men in STEM!"

if you really need to ask why a group of people opposes those who want to create institutional discrimination against the group you might be retarded.

>> No.7534289

>>7533570
>humanity has progressed when we all take interest in a certain thing

absolute bullshit
nearly all the great technoligical and scientific breakthroughs were made by men.

>> No.7534295

>>7534282
>do they push for more STEM in general? more institutes, more research positions, more professorships?
depending on where you are talking about and who "they", are, yes,

>> No.7534306

>>7533794
>Obviously I feel there's a strong place for women in STEM compared to construction.
>i feel, therefore it's true
I present to you, the feminist

>> No.7534309

>>7534282
Increasing science funding and shifting cultural perceptions of who scientists should be are rather different things. For one, science funding is largely controlled by political entities. The later can be done with media campaigns independent of government bodies. On top of this, from what I have seen, in physics, at least, the groups looking at why there aren't more women in the field are also pushing for more science funding. They are just different campaigns with different methodologies.

>> No.7534323

>>7534306
>>i feel, therefore it's true
>I present to you, the feminist

No. One requires physical work, the other doesn't. Women aren't good at physical work therefore can contribute to STEM in other ways. Obviously this doesn't include field work

>> No.7534327

>>7533538
Because it assumes that men are evil and women are cowards, wants to force outcomes so that the results are 'societally acceptable' (ie fascism's social component), and it completely ignores the fact that people can think for themselves.

>> No.7534328

Every girl I've ever known in a math, chem, or physics class just finds some boy to copy off of for the whole semester and never does her own work.

>> No.7534332

>>7534309
>They are just different campaigns with different methodologie

aka pushing for more funding happens independent from and regardless of the pushing out of men.
aka the campaigns are exactly that and nothing more - defamation and attacks against a group with the goal of implementing repression and discrimination against that group in order to gain an advantage at their cost.

no thanks. college admission is competitive and skewed enough as it is, i certainly won't support additional bias and discrimination against myself.

>> No.7534333

>>7534323
>Women aren't good at physical work therefore can contribute to STEM in other ways. Obviously this doesn't include field work
>Obviously
because carrying a rucksack is 2 intense, amirite?

>> No.7534334

>>7534333
That's what i'm saying. I'm sure thye can do that. STEM work doesn't require the same man power as construction.

>> No.7534335

>>7534327
Quick fix,
It wants to force outcomes by discriminating based on how people are born. That's how its fascist.

>> No.7534363

>>7534332
More like they are wholly different bests. You don't go to the public at large for science funding, you petition Congress because the public at large couldn't care less about science funding either way. Making science appear gender neutral, however, has to be something presented to the public since they are the ones that determine what the stereotypical scientist looks like. Calling one bullshit for not being the other is, well, bullshit.

>> No.7534371

>>7534334
>women should go to stem because they're bad at physical work

this is you. this is your argument. look at yourself.

>> No.7534388

>first shit
It's because the people who bring it up are as reasonable as a racist uncle who wants to educate you on the coloreds.
>second shit
I don't care. If bitches wanted to be there, they would be there. Do you want us to tie some up and sit them in the classes Clockwork Orange style? Give them C's for attendance so that they can't flunk out regardless of if they know the material?

>> No.7534394

>>7534371
Nothing wrong with that, that's what we're all implying any way.

>> No.7534395

>>7533538
https://vimeo.com/19707588

>> No.7534398

>>7534394
that's retarded. you literally admitted that this:

is your argument. i'll keep repeating it until it sticks.

>> No.7534407

>>7534388
The idea, from what I have seen in a lot of these groups, is to find out why the imbalance is there. It is conjectured that it is because the public perceives scientists to be male. So, they try and influence this perception and see what happens.

>> No.7534410

>>7534398
Well you're gonna be here all night. Because i'm not going to stop responding until you stop.

Nothing in my argument change. STEM requires little physical work in half of the fields.

>> No.7534414

>>7534410
Many jobs require little physical work, that doesn't imply any gender should get on that particular field. Being a cab driver doesn't require physical strength, yet most men are taxi drivers.

>> No.7534420

>>7534410
you aren't getting it

this is just like saying "oh wow i'm bad at swimming, this makes me a good candidate for running regardless of skill"

>> No.7534427

>>7533794
>STEM is a vast field that anybody can get into

Your entire premise is flawed. STEM fields require hard work and high IQ. Only a small percentage of the population will ever be able to contribute. The same reasons you think women cannot work construction are the reasons women do not apply for STEM degrees. MATH IS HARD WORK AND MOST PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO EVER LEARN ADVANCED MATH.

We need the best and brightest in Science. The smartest. If that doesn't include as many women as you would like blame evolution.

>> No.7534431

Being a woman is a mental disability that puts them at a disadvantage in STEM.

>> No.7534437

There is a difference between /pol/ saying women are dumb succubi who only want to suck jamals dick while the white cuck makes the money she will steal, and just being realistic in the fact that women are generally less interested in ACADEMIA, not STEM in general. I mean, Biology has more women than men and I think chemistry also. Math is pretty even and Physics is a little bit skewd to men but not that much. The power gap comes with memegineering and CompSci which that chart used to manipulate averages as these two are boys clubs. But also in those fields were women are MORE, they are less likely to follow for a doctorate program and continue working in academia. So there is a lot of influx of teachers and more humanitarian work of STEM. Why? Because we are not the same and we are not interested in the same things.

>> No.7534438

you guys are such fags. why are you so defensive about this? are you not confident that you're better than any women that will apply? I say let em try, force em in even, fuck it, who gives a shit, if the men are really better they'll win anyways. I say let the games begin, you guys are just a bunch of cucks too scared to be put to the test. fuckin MRA faggots, scared of women taking your jobs. LET EM IN! I say target all advertisement for stem at women specifically, brand it as a WOMAN'S job, actively discourage men from joining. then we'll see who's smart enough to do this shit for real.

>> No.7534453

>>7534438
If you are to stupid to know the difference from shitposters and /pol/ from actual opinions you should go to a trade school bud.

What you don't understand is that it is only CompScie and engineering that have an overwhelming mayority while the rest is generally even or with a higher women to men ratio such as biology.

>> No.7534460

>>7534453
he's baiting... dont reply

>> No.7534481
File: 183 KB, 600x800, flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533551
>Who says there have to be equal numbers of men and women ?
This

Im for equal opportunity, NOT equality

this isnt soviet russia

>> No.7534489

>>7533538
The majority of college graduates are women. Why don't you want to end the gender gap and get more men in college? Now you want to make the gender gap even bigger by putting more women in the only field not dominated by women?

>> No.7534495
File: 167 KB, 636x426, 1440389784893.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7534215
moar boar wants moar

>> No.7534498

>>7534407
The idea that some campaign can wipe a stereotype from the minds of the public, then have that lead to some absurd goal of representation of one arbitrary biological attribute is fucking laughable. The imbalance is there because men have a greater positive predisposition for math, so they go into heavily mathematical subjects at a greater rate. It has nothing to do with that "public perspectives" bullshit. With people like Rosalind Franklin and Marie Curie, it's fucking obvious that capable women haven't needed to shy away from science because of the stereotype of what the average scientist is for at least the past century.

What's dangerous is that this idea hatched from feminists. The kind of feminists who are fixated on wanting to dictate culture and wanting <49.999% women in whatever arbitrary demographic they choose, who see that men are in STEM in a greater proportion, and see a grand conspiracy where the NWO reptiles are brainwashing women as to prevent them from going into STEM fields. Oh shit, reptiles? I'm sorry, they see that the EVIL MEN have designed society to brainwash everyone.

>> No.7534506

>>7534460
this is true. im sorry, that /pol sexist shit gets me really riled up. specifically mra stuff. i didn't know what to do.

>>7534453
i program and i'd really like to see more women in
this field cause they think differently and solve problems differently, which is good.

>> No.7534512
File: 84 KB, 570x802, 69067.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7534481
But anon, they want to get to the equal outcome by discriminating based on blood.

>> No.7534516

>>7534506
no one's asking about what you WANT, we're asking if pushing women into jobs artificially is good. they don't natually want to pursue those jobs, that's how things are.

>> No.7534519

>>7534506
"think differently" and "solve problems differently" is bullshit. sources or stop

>> No.7534522

>>7534506
Then stop talking about STEM and stop getting triggered. Go to schools to show how fun programing is or whatever.

>> No.7534525

>>7534506
>they think differently
Literally an assertion that we are not equal. Also that they think differently doesnt mean they are better thinkers for programing or the like.

>> No.7534528
File: 8 KB, 223x200, 1414034416204s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533538

>tfw architect major
>mostly a sausage fest in the classes
>the field is 77% males

>> No.7534540

>>7534528
Which is bad because..?

>> No.7534546

>>7534540
because he doesn't care about his field, he just wants to meet girls.

>> No.7534560

>>7534516
>>7534519
>>7534522
>>7534525
hahhahaahah this bait worked even better!

>>7534516
no one is talking about PUSHING them artificially into anything. we're talking about encouraging them to give it a whirl instead of PUSHING them into spending an hour on their make up every day.

>>7534519
literally talk to any woman.

>>7534522
ok thanks.

>>7534525
woah woah woah there, did i say better? i said differently, there is no assertion of inequality there. i just meant different perspectives are good in anything that requires creative problem solving.

>> No.7534564

>>7534560
>I was pretending to be retarded.

>> No.7534569

>>7534564
when you want to get a point across you gotta say it in a way that the person you are saying it to will understand.

>> No.7534573

>>7533559
I don't think engineers like that, either.
I don't think anyone likes sweaty dudes, for that matter.

>> No.7534574

>>7533565
If it's a culture issue, I doubt that a few movies will change anything.

>> No.7534581

>>7534569
Gatcha m8

>> No.7534781
File: 3.36 MB, 674x7920, 1431190619321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533538
Because I've yet to see a call for more female drillers of earth, and that's discrimination.

>> No.7534810

>>7533538
>STEM facts poster
>absolutely no citations

Protip: You're doing it wrong.

>> No.7534837

I'm all for more women going into STEM fields, as long as they don't try to act as if it's mens faults that there aren't many already in STEM fields. Society as a whole guides less girls into mathematical and scientific fields, not just men.

>> No.7534910

>>7533969
p = true, q = true would be a counter example

p => q is equivalent to q or ~p

>> No.7534929
File: 53 KB, 474x595, 1432287332162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The wage gap between women and men is much smaller in STEM occupations than other occupations.
Wow.. it's almost as if this is because looking at it this way eliminates the biggest statistical flaw of the whole wage gap myth

>> No.7535206

>>7533557
There is absolutely nothing stopping women from entering STEM.

>> No.7535376
File: 236 KB, 633x758, wojak mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here. I'm not really a cuck or a hardcore feminist. I just want more women in my classes because QT nerd girls are hot.

I spend the majority of my days tweaking numbers and looking at code. How am I supposed to date someone I can't relate to and has no idea what I do for a living?

>> No.7535385
File: 1003 KB, 4500x4334, 1439164267053.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7535376
>he thinks nerd girls are attracted to other nerds and not chads

>> No.7535390
File: 17 KB, 350x250, 0037 - Id7mca2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7535385
>implying i'm not a nerd chad
i was on the football and chess team in high-school

great genes but nerdy interests

truly the master race

>> No.7535423

>>7535376
Awsome. so we have to shower women with scholarships and science camps just so that fags like OP can get a girlfriend

>> No.7535428

>>7535423
thanks fam

>> No.7535449

>>7533538
So I think a big thing that's being missed in this thread is that a big reason women leave STEM (and I mean leave, since a lot of women start out in STEM then switch fields - the retention rate is atrocious) is because they're not treated the same as their male counterparts. I think the same goes for minorities, too. Not even necessarily on purpose- they do it without thinking about it. I do it by accident too, like "This chick's in the physics building, she must be a lost astronomy student." when I shouldn't make that assumption...
And there's been studies to verify this discrimination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P0iP2Zm6a4&feature=youtu.be&t=370

And then another thing is that minorities (females or ethnic minorities) don't perform as well on standardized exams partially because of the sociological implication that they won't.

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/picture-yourself-as-a-stereotypical-male

So when I first started out in sciences I thought all this affirmative action stuff was bullshit and that racism- and sexism-based acceptances couldn't possibly make it any better... and I still don't think that's the right method, but I can't think of anything better to make up for the systemic discrimination that we already have. So what do?

>> No.7535475

>>7535449
And partially because they get in with lower standards to meet quotas.

>> No.7535527

>>7535475
I don't think that's true, at least not with undergraduate. Like at my school you don't accept people based on the major that you want to pursue, most people come in undecided. If a female applied to the generic liberal arts school, it's not obvious if they would go into physics, biochemistry, forensics, mathematics or something totally different like anthropology, psychology, history, women's studies, some sort of language... blah blah blah, since they're all housed in the same college.

>> No.7535550
File: 99 KB, 500x354, 9566311524_402eb17eac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well what's fucking stopping them? Oh yeah, their inherent biology.

>> No.7535557

>>7533542
>first reply is spot on
>thread still gets another 200 posts
never change /sci/

>> No.7535594

>>7535527
Well good thing reality doesn't follow your opinions.

Women and minorities get to the same programs with worse grades.
E.g. in your liberal arts school a woman or a black guy would get in over a higher performing white mate just because of their gender or race.

>> No.7535598

>>7535449
There has been the same or more studies showing the opposite. It shows how these srudies are ridiculous and that things arent black or white or can be generalized throughout STEM.

>> No.7535625

>>7535598
It also shows that sociology/psychology is not a real fucking science full of idiots with an agenda

>> No.7535656

>>7533807
They also never bring up that there's practically no wage gap in manual labor jobs, opting instead to call workers male chauvinist pigs instead of examining their practices.

>> No.7535677

>>7534395
>https://vimeo.com/19707588
very entertaining series

>> No.7535756

>>7535390
if you need thats chick come to you to get dates you're not a chad. period.

>> No.7537831

>>7533538
actually, my class is 17 dudes to 1 female
and I feel triggered by your post

>> No.7537858

>>7533538
It kind of irritates me there are all these scholarships and at my uni for women and minorities, but no one gives a fuck if I (a white upper-middle class dude whose parents can't and won't be paying for anything) pass or fail. It's vexing because to me it feels like reverse racism. On one hand, I think we should strive to have our programs be the fair statistical share of women/minorities, but on the other hand the lengths they go to support these people is bullshit.

Allow me to explain: I grew up with a learning disability and it fucking sucked. I was in this weird program for grades 3-6 called GT/LD for kids that were gifted and talented but had some sort of disability. E.g. there were some kids who were brilliant at math but had dyslexia and couldn't read to save their fucking lives. My teacher was a psychopath who eventually got put on administrative leave for psychological reasons after his family left him. Shit sucked.

But I clawed and scraped my way through school, and no one helped me, except maybe my parents. Got 17 AP credits, and they were hard AP credits. Uni was/is hard as shit, and the disability support services at my school are a disgrace, literally an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen. They tried to make me pay $3000 for accommodations and then when I got them none of the professors would grant them (which btw is illegal). But I've almost made it (1 year left, dual math-comp sci major in a top 10 program in the world).

Yet it pisses me off that I got metaphorically assfucked and denied by my school without a second thought, and yet they bend over backwards for people because GOD FORBID ONE WOMAN OR BLACK KID GETS A C OR WORSE IN INTRO. TO OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING. If you're white and learning disabled we'll fight you every step of the way, but by all means, let's make organizations and hold more luncheons for women and minorities, make them feel appreciated and welcome.

Fuck

>> No.7537866
File: 92 KB, 595x421, Economist_Americas_gender_wage_gap.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7534929
>Wow.. it's almost as if this is because looking at it this way eliminates the biggest statistical flaw of the whole wage gap myth

Small sample size?

>> No.7537873

>>7533538
>6 dudes to 1 girl

Honestly, I would have settled for even double the amount of men.

At least I'm making bank now.

>> No.7537880

>>7533538
I'm indifferent to it as an issue. I go to class to learn and I socialise outside of lectures. If I want to talk to girls I will do it during any societies or clubs I'm a part of instead of doing it during class.

>> No.7537930

In industry, like in college, they would love more women. Where I work as an ME, there are plenty of women(in hr, purchasing, and as production managers, and literally no other positions). That said, my boss would love to hire a woman in engineering, partially because he is a horndog, sure, but there just aren't any. What I am getting at is that industry would be plenty friendly friendly to women, even allow them to slightly under perform I'm sure, just to have them around.

>> No.7537949

>>7537866
then why aren't women more employed than men since they cost so much less to employ ?
Say it. I dare you.

>> No.7537977

>>7537949
>then why aren't women more employed than men since they cost so much less to employ ?

>Say it. I dare you.

Prejudice?

http://gender.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/motherhoodpenalty.pdf

>> No.7537982

>>7537949
Not the guy you were talking to, but because they can't be bothered to do hard demanding things? They are usually worse than men at things that don't involve chit-chating all the time, and they don't have to cause they can just get married and be set for life any time they want, also with almost no effort.

>> No.7538001

>>7537866
Yea the sample size in that pic is sooo big and not cherry-picked.

In reality, the fields were there are more men are also the highest paying fields. And the fields there are more women are is also the lowest paying field.

>> No.7538032

>>7537977
>Take time off, work shorter shifts, wonder why the people who don't take time off or work shorter shifts are considered better workers and have better opportunities.

>> No.7538043

>>7537977
That study discusses neither employment nor enrollment in STEM education.
You cannot rightfully make any logical connection between a perceived "wage gap" between female parents and males in the workforce, and the enrollment and employment of women in STEM fields and education

>> No.7538044
File: 1.56 MB, 900x7324, wage gap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any excuse I can get to post this.

>> No.7538045

Maybe we have this unconscious bias through early education against people that used to be the oppressors in history. Be honest, would you read an article about men or white people's problems? Men used to be rulers, slavers, kings, conquerors, wouldn't it be fresh if it was a woman or a black person instead? Men's problems aren't marketable, so basically, fuck em.

>> No.7538195

>>7534363
just pointing out that these movements have a lot of cons and zero pros to them.
in the end it boils down to a bunch of leftists trying to drive my people out of out the fields we created and built, to replace us with others who they like better.

>> No.7538648

>>7533542
Clicked this thread to say pretty much exactly this.

I'm studying civil engineering and there are no women studying it, absolutely zero and I hate being surrounded by only dudes all day. I want more women in STEM, but the fact that you people want to blame me for the lack of women here, like its my responsibility to "get women interested in STEM" like they are some children irks the fuck out of me.

>> No.7538670

I go to a uni for dropkicks who couldn't go somewhere better (or people like me who already live >1 hour away and it's the closest uni so they'd rather go there than go to the much better uni that would add and extra hour to their travel time), my classes are mostly women. Especially later in the terms when most of the guys have stopped showing up because they don't give a fuck.

>> No.7538871

>>7534420
not that anon, but god you're naive. His other posts have been spot on. Go on, keep on taking things literally mate.

>> No.7538876

>>7534427
>implying women are dumber than men and can't do hard work.
Well, no point discussing anymore to someone who's blinded by prejudice.

>> No.7538879

>>7534574
You're a fool if you think movies don't influence people.

>> No.7538887

>>7538648
More women in engineering doesnt mean more women in STEM for fucks sake. It is the same as saying MORE MEN IN STEM because of biology.

>> No.7538893

>>7538879
Children who grow in a semi-normal houshold will make a difference beteeen fiction and non fiction by the age of 4. Except if it is an explicit propaganda film, it is not going to do jack shit to any kid.

Semi-normal I mean kids that grow with some parental regulation and teach children about sexuality and violence in a reasonable way.

>> No.7538907

>>7538893
>Children who grow in a semi-normal houshold will make a difference beteeen fiction and non fiction by the age of 4
How does that prove that movies/media doesn't influence peoples aspirations?
Are you seriously denying the influence the media has on culture?

>> No.7538933

>>7538893
just look at a fucking disney movie.
>parents tell prince/princess to mary someone
>they don't want to because they don't know him/her
>they rebel
>etc
I'd never let my kids watch this bullshit.

>> No.7539062

>>7533565
>Give them some sort of empowered female hero and there you go

been around for decades.
alien, silence of the lambs, etc

the funny thing is that most girls dont give a fuck about movies like that and would rather watch julia roberts play a prostitute in pretty woman

>> No.7539265

>>7538907
Not in the way you stupid sociologist undergads think. Yes media has an influence on what people generally talk about, may do or may not do but do you really think media controls our society and not the other way around? Most corps react to what the public likes, it is idiotic to think we are brainwashed by all those jewish/sexist adds or whaterver is your poison. We want transformer movies, we do not want another gostubster movie, we want apple (and every time we want it less), we want organic because paranoia, we do not want nuclear for the same reason. Media just reflects the culture of a society. So if media is shit it is probably because your culture is shit. I mean, just look at japan for god sakes.

>>7538933
I doubt you have any children if you actually spout that much retardation.

>> No.7539354

>>7539265
>Not in the way you stupid sociologist undergads think. Yes media has an influence on what people generally talk about, may do or may not do but do you really think media controls our society and not the other way around? Most corps react to what the public likes, it is idiotic to think we are brainwashed by all those jewish/sexist adds or whaterver is your poison. We want transformer movies, we do not want another gostubster movie, we want apple (and every time we want it less), we want organic because paranoia, we do not want nuclear for the same reason. Media just reflects the culture of a society. So if media is shit it is probably because your culture is shit. I mean, just look at japan for god sakes.

That's why nobody spends any money on advertising anymore.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/272314/advertising-spending-in-the-us/

>> No.7539360
File: 163 KB, 1920x1080, TfTdoPd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In my country (Norway) women get more study points when they apply for stem fields.
And this makes a huge difference at the competitive universities.
Because of this a lot of more qualified men lost their places.

In my mind this is retarded,
but to make up for it men get more study point when aplying for nursing school.
were without the extra point you will still get accepted even though you have a 2.0 GPA

>> No.7539363

>>7533565
MURPH
U
R
P
H

>> No.7539449

>>7539354
>le strawman.

>> No.7539464

>>7539360
that's fucking stupid. I'm glad we don't do shit like this in canada

>> No.7539466

>>7539360
So Norway is also a feminist nation now?

Thank you, now my list of black listed countries are USA, UK, Sweden, Australia and Norway.

Any other places that I should avoid/will have an economic, political and social collapse in the next 5 years?

>> No.7539469

>>7539464
Oh, thank you. I almost forgot. Canada is also one of the blacklisted countries.

You are right, you don't do shit like that in Canada. You do fucking worse.

>> No.7539474

>>7539469
like what? As far as i know university applications (at least in ontario) don't know your gender, race, anything other than your Grades. Some unis have additional application forms that are just you writing an essay about some previously chosen subject.

>> No.7539476

>>7539466
how is norway going to have an economic collapse?

>>7539360
do all the women that sign up for STEM fields actually finish in a STEM field? idk, I feel like the turnover isn't as high for some reason. Please shed some light on this.

Also, why give men more study points for nursing? Nursing just isn't attractive for men, imo. It's aiming low. Why be nurse when you can be the doctor? idk, im sure gender roles are playing a part here on why I feel men != nurses...

>> No.7539478

>>7539476
its because nursing has the opposite male:female ratio that engineering has. They think they're being fair by being unfair

>> No.7539487

>>7533542

BTFO.

>> No.7539489

>>7539476
Let me rephrase your question.

How is (a country that gives a free pass to people who are not qualified for something to get into that something just because they were born with a vagina) going to have an economic collapse?

The minimum requirements to enter STEM careers were set by professionals in that area that knew what kind of person you had to be in order to not be shit at it. If the institution (or government) lowers these requirements for any group of people, eventually that group of people will overflow this career and then in 4 years the majority of people with this title will be complete shit at their job.

And I'm not talking about women in general. Women who do meet the requirements and get into STEM are welcome and hopefully encouraged by their peers. But those who don't? They will fuck it up.

A woman who doesn't know her shit gets into engineering. You may say "big fucking deal" but it doesn't end here.

She didn't do well enough in HS to get into engineering without the extra point so now in college she isn't doing well in any of the core classes. Is she going to get failed? Not at all! That would be sexist!! So here, take your extra vagina points and keep going!

Maybe not in 5 years give it a decade or two, when all your STEM graduates are shit and don't know their ass from their elbow.

Good luck, feminist nations. Good fucking luck.

>> No.7539495

>>7539474
I guess I didn't specify.
I don't know about academia in Canada, but in many other sectors Canada is overrun by feminists.

Campaigns all the time. Feminists actually getting laws passed.

Seriously googling "Canada, feminism" would say it all. Or even better, read or watch content from people in Canada like, say, Sandman (from youtube).

>> No.7539509

>>7533538
A lot of the proposals I've seen are poorly thought out and reactionary.

>> No.7539510

>>7539495
oh wow my school has a "Women in engineering" group we're so fucked. I can't wait to see when our economy collapses. FYI the CAD isn't in the shitter because of little tumblrites in their shitty undergrad courses. As far as I'm concerned we have bigger problems to deal with than these special snowflake humanities students.

>> No.7539521

>>7539510
You would have bigger problems if your special snowflake humanities students weren't getting actual political power.

Wait for your nation to literally neglect the 50% of the population that has a penis.

One day you will be looking for a job, You will told that you are so well qualified that you would be perfect. If only that company was not filling a women quota at the moment. Whoops! I guess you were just born wrong!

>> No.7539564
File: 755 KB, 2336x4160, 2015-09-01 14.36.08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7539360
>>7539464
>>7539466
>>7539476
>>7539489
At the most comptetitive engineering unversity in Norway (Norwegian unversity of science and technology "NTNU")
Some studies you need more than the maximum limit of points.
The maximum possible just from your grades are 60 points.
And this is not like it is in USA getting 60 points just from your grades is so hard to get that nobody have EVER gotten it in the history of Norway.
So for example the nano technology study at NTNU you needed 61.8 points last year.
So you need extra points.
Women get 2 free points for having pussy. AND THAT IS DEALBREAKING.
worst part is. In Norway we have different kinds of high school. And you have to go to uniprep high school to apply for universities. Of the uniprep high schools almost 70% are women....

>> No.7539571

>>7539564
are you telling me if i was a guy in norway, I literally could not get into nano tech at that uni?

>> No.7539584

>>7539571
Second and third year in uniprep high school some subjects are optional. If you choose physics and chemistry, and all the science related math you get 4 points.'
But women also can take these courses so the 2 free points makes a huge difference

>> No.7540728

>>7533552
Im geology too..quite a lot of women in it here too.

>> No.7540741

>>7533538
Try 30 to 1, or 40 to none. This problem also exists in other disciplines like psychology (except in reverse), but I don't see anyone pushing for an increase in male psychology students.

>> No.7540746

>>7539564
Fuck, there's a pussy bonus? How do they deal with trans students (mtf and ftm)?

>> No.7540764

>>7533542
I wouldn't say it's men's fault that women are not interested in stem. But I have been to departments that are quite woman-unfriendly, and since the staff is almost always composed of almost exclusively men, I will blame men for that.

>> No.7540847

>>7540764
>But I have been to departments that are quite woman-unfriendly,
how?
what unfriendly behaviour towards women have these departments committed?

>> No.7540872

>>7540764
Why is it impossible in your world view for men to be friendly to women?

You're literally saying that faculty should be women because only they can be friendly.

You have some very backwards and sexist views.

>> No.7540893

>>7540872
Your first question stems from a strawman or a misunderstanding.

Aside from the fact that I have only literally said what I have actually said, you again strawman the fuck out of me in your second statement. What I literally said was that I've been to departments which were predominantly staffed by men, and which were unfriendly towards women. What is implied by this is that these departments are less likely to appoint female faculty, and that female talent is less likely to apply for a position there. I don't understand how you came up with the strawmanny thing you came up with.

As for your final statement: whoahoho what a twist, how the tables have turned, you sure showed me. Turns out I (or really the strawman you made me out to be) was the real sexist all along!

>> No.7540896

>>7540847
Being dismissive of what my female colleagues had to say (math-wise), and making inappropriately sexual commebts about them. It was unbelievably unprofessional.

>> No.7540911

Im in calc1 right now, the class is about 40/60 split of men and women.

Every single women in there is either bio, nursing or radiology. Not a single one of them chose engineering or mathematics.

They werent forced to do biomed, or nursing or radiology. It was their will to become a nurse as mine to persue a BSE in mechanical.

Stop trying to force people into doing what they dont want to do. All i can see is schools allowing underperformers because of diversity quotas and treating good students that are male or white as average when they do well.

Stop fucking with the natural order of biology.

>> No.7540931

>>7540893
>strawman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Please read through this article at least three times before posting again.

>> No.7540933

>>7540893
>What I literally said was that I've been to departments which were predominantly staffed by men,

>and which were unfriendly towards women
>What is implied by this is that these departments are less likely to appoint female faculty,
>and that female talent is less likely to apply for a position there.

None of these statements follow from your postulate. Why are you pretending to understand anything about logic?

>> No.7540937

>>7540931
Please read my post a couple more times before you try tell me my own position on things again. Or maybe tell me how what you said follows from what I said, in order to show me how wrong I am about calling you out on the whole strawman thing.

>> No.7540941

>>7540933
Ok. My bad for taking anything seriously on an anonymous imageboard I guess. It's so weird, no one I meet employed in western academia seems to share your views. I guess they're just too opressed by the matriarchy to express their true opinions.

>> No.7540945

>>7540937
You said
>All
You then implied that means
>They are unfriendly towards women
>these departments are less likely to appoint female faculty,

What if the faculty is gender blind and even favours women, but weighs merit more? Why would a mostly male faculty discourage women from applying? Where's your proof? Why would they be unfriendly towards women when they could also be treating both genders the same.

Can you not see how that is 100% bullshit that you made up, or are you genuinely this fucking retarded? Now you will undoubtedly, and incorrectly bitch about ad hom because you're a fucking moron that learned sipped philosophy 101 and instead tried to learn logic from the internet.

>> No.7540948

>>7540893
>Turns out I (or really the strawman you made me out to be) was the real sexist all along!

You're discriminating based on gender you are by definition sexist.

>> No.7540954

>>7533547
M=mathematics

douchebag.

>> No.7541054
File: 409 KB, 642x1920, girls aren&#039;t smarter r9k.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7533538

>> No.7541075

India has 50% women in STEM.

I guess we don't have enough rape culture then to lure women to STEM.

>> No.7541085

>>7533538

Girls make me uncomfortable

Plus the uglier and more retarded the guys in my class are the better confidence boost I get

>> No.7541095

>>7533538
It is more of an annoyance than a "trigger" for me. It basically boils down to there being equality in opportunity, but inequality in outcomes which is something that cannot really be changed. STEM fields do not lend themselves well to people taking time off which is required for females who want to start a family. A long period away from a project or industry is typically a death sentence in the STEM fields (one of the reasons why there is hardly any STEM politicians, since it would be really hard to get back into a STEM industry after your term is office is over). Implying that having more female only scholarships (which I would argue is inequality of opportunity in the favor of females) or engaging in similar activities would remedy this is foolish.

>> No.7541200

>>7540896
That's an interesting anecdote but how do you know that professors wouldn't be dismissive of any sex? Professors are often arrogant and don't like having things explained to them in general.

It's pretty tenuous and flimsy to say that just because a professor was mean it must be because she was a woman.

As for "sexual harassment" who's to say it wasn't just normal fraternising and she could have said "I'd rather not" at any point?
I very much doubt your department members were going up to female department members and pinching them on the bottom or coming up behind them and rubbing their shoulders or things like that.

And anyway you don't actually have any evidence for this claim that stem departments harass and belittle women.

>> No.7541203

who fucking cares.