[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 415 KB, 768x3056, 4a8259427562956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7509339 No.7509339 [Reply] [Original]

A new study by the University of Washington has found that female students are 3 times more likely to enrol on a computer science course if the classroom looks less geeky and more pleb. The authors reckon that women feel they do not belong in the geeky environment. It was also found that boys do not give a fuck what the classroom looks like, in regards to how it effects their interest in enrolling on the course.

Women are achieving less in the CS and tech industries than men, and fewer enrol on introductory CS courses.

Although women are right in one regard: Star Trek sucks.

>> No.7509346

How do we get more women interested in the sanitation and mining industries?

>> No.7509347

>>7509339
If they're picking a major based on how the classroom looks, then I think it's safe to say that they aren't going to make it to the end anyway.

>Star Trek sucks.

Suck a dick.

>> No.7509348

>>7509339
>Star Trek sucks
Only the recent movies

Also
>girls care more about being popular than learning
More news at 11

>> No.7509379

>>7509339
What does sci fi and weeb shit even have to do with the field? I'm not a women but I'm not paying to take a class with some treky retards. It would probably not only be useless but be full of cringeworthy star trek jokes.

>> No.7509399

>>7509379
>what does science fiction have to do with science?
Maybe you're too young to remember when Star Trek was good, but it's what inspired me, and a lot of other people, to go down this path in the first place.

>> No.7509408

>>7509399
>Maybe you're too young to remember when Star Trek was good
Unless you're 35 or older you were too young to really know what was "good" when Star Trek was on

>> No.7509418

Just another study created to fit a particular political narrative.
It's like the "women in offices are more likely to want it warmer than men".
The study went and look for gender-based differences in what they were studying, and more or less manufactured the results they got by asking a giant leading question.

>> No.7509423
File: 6 KB, 188x160, ohno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>girls care more about how something looks than what it actually is
more at 8

seriously, look at the article. they just added two potted plants and changed the fucking stereotypical posters
>one of them is for CALL OF DUTY 4 FOR FUCKS SAKE
to some generic artsy posters

THAT'S ALL THEY DID. wow what a good use of everybody's time.gg university of washington. THIS IS WHY YOU'RE NOT TOP IN COMPUTER SCIENCE!

>> No.7509432

>>7509408
>Unless you're 35 or older you were too young to really know what was "good" when Star Trek was on
There have been like 5 series and reruns have been on in my country up to today. Star Trek is still on...

>> No.7509433

>>7509399
How do you feel about it now that you've learned some actual science and realize not only how different it is from real science but how retarded their bad science is?

Also, I'm not in my late 30's thankfully so no I don't think it was ever good.

>> No.7509439

>>7509339
>lucrative computer science industry
Stopped reading there.
These people should be lined up on a wall somewhere in the forest.

>> No.7509441

>>7509423
They also replaced the doll on the professors desk with a plant.

>> No.7509447
File: 145 KB, 909x872, 1441364668886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

surprise surprise, women judge a field based on superficial reasons and are surprised to find that they can't succeed in a career that values results over feels and appearances.

>women can't get over their need to feel socially accepted and validated in everything they do
>women can't just do things out of genuine interest and joy
i feel kinda sad for them tbh. call a woman a loser and it's pretty much the gravest insult you can throw at her

>> No.7509458
File: 19 KB, 261x247, 1440211620644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509423
>mfw U of Washington's strategy works and a bunch of women major in comp sci
>mfw they get a shit ton of funding for diversity
>mfw actual computer scientists use it to fund their research
>mfw UW soars to the top in comp sci
>mfw UW comp sci isn't a sausage fests
>mfw

>> No.7509618
File: 114 KB, 1920x830, 1441380898480.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Computer Science and tech communities are currently in mid stage 3, "fighting sexism" is being used as a red herring for female colonization of male spaces.

>> No.7509629
File: 45 KB, 884x368, 1441381111539.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509618
Pic so related.

>> No.7509648
File: 12 KB, 419x357, Benedict_Cumberbatch_as_Khan_in_Star_Trek_into_Darkness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509348
I will exterminate your species, normie scum.

>> No.7509678

>>7509339
>A new study by the University of Washington has found that female students are 3 times more likely to enrol on a computer science course if the classroom looks less geeky
No, it found they are more likely TO SAY THEY WOULD BE INTERESTED in enrolling. No study was done on whether the classroom decoration actually effects enrollment.

>> No.7509693

>>7509339
to me less geeky mean make the geeks whom are good with comptuers and would excell highly in computer science feel less comfortable in the room and therefore not want to go into comp sci or tech jobs

>> No.7509695

>>7509618

Is this an incredibly elaborate joke?

>> No.7509698

>>7509695
Yes, /r9k/ is one very elaborate joke, just one most of its users aren't aware of.

>> No.7509701

>>7509339
Stanford did some research on this and they separated the female and male computer science classes.

They saw a large increase in enrolment and retainment rates for females in their computer science classes.

I think this is a good idea but keeping the male "nerdy" classes takes priority because those classes are arguably the best ones since they push everyone to become better through competition.

>>7509678
wrong nigger. stanford already did this experiment and women enrolled at much higher rates. the real problem has always been those fucking nerds that drive women away no matter where they are or what they do.

This is why we beat up those nerds in high school to make sure they learned their place and never tried to bother women like they always do.

>> No.7509710

>>7509648
Come at me, Bendthatdick Cuminbitch

>> No.7509718

>>7509346
>How do we get more women interested in the sanitation and mining industries?
this nigga knows what's up.

>> No.7509722

>>7509698
It's actually pretty genius on moot's part to retrofit /r9k/ and /new/ into containment boards.

>> No.7509723

>>7509718
No one is actually interested in those industries anon. Everyone just does it for the dolla dolla bills y'all.

>> No.7509752

>>7509723
Nope, not everyone. Just men. And that's the point.

But seriously, /sci is becoming more like /r9k each passing year it seems. The "muh privilige" cunt women are just like the "muh fist dawg" stupid men who pick fights at local kiosks and bully children in the school. The vocal not-so-minority.

But while many guys are assholes who use words like "ambition" to justify their assholeness and fuck anything with a hole in it, not everyone is. Similarly, a lot of women are shallow, priviliged nacrissistic cunts who need help with literally fucking everything, and have lived their whole useless lives being carried around by men. But not all of them are.

Go out and meet some real people, as opposed to these useless fucks here and in the media who are all so much talk, and not a whole lot of walk.

>> No.7509753

>>7509629
good

>> No.7509755
File: 1.52 MB, 246x437, betanodder.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509752
>But not all of them are.
lalala go post it on reddit, maybe someone will buy you a gold account or whatever shit

Yes I know people are assholes but women get to pretend when you point it out to them, it's misogyny.

Fuck off beta faggot.

>> No.7509762

>ugh why can't there be any 6'+ 10/10 chads in any of my CS classes? Everyone in this class is such a geek! Gross!

>> No.7509765

>>7509762
>teehee I'm such a nerd
>>meets actual nerds
>eww these guys are sooooo creepy

>> No.7509766

>>7509701
>wrong nigger. stanford already did this experiment and women enrolled at much higher rates.
You just described a completely different experiment. Segregating a college introductory course according to gender or skill level has nothing to do with how a high school classroom is decorated.

>> No.7509768

>>7509755
Listen here you virgin alpha nerd fuck.

I don't disagree with the annoyance in the philosophy of those cunts. I don't pretend there's no problem, when all aspects of feminism itself relies on buying pity, help and support from every socially and politically acceptable source available. It's double standards to the extreme, and annoying as fuck. It's a fucking problem, no doubt about it.

I'm a Finnfag and we have an "equality board" here entirely comprised of women. It's public knowledge, and any attempts to fix it is met with heavy resistance because what is equality if not just all about women, and not at all about men. We have serious studies indicating that our top schools favor women over men. Men are being ostracized to lower level schools, and already are less and less represented in jobs of academia. We've right now had discussions regarding this, and suggesting that men should be afforded the same gender quotas to support them in schools, as women have with various businesses and political positions. And guess what, the women deciding this surprisingly feel it's not necessary. This, in a country where a militia-like service has been compulsory for men since our independence almost 100 years ago. Where ALL men lose one year of their lives to basically free of charge national service, and need to die for their country in the case of war, and women have NO duties to match it. ZERO. They can literally just continue studying while men must take a break for that militia.

So yes, I'm fucking angry too. But even then, in real life. In work, hobbies, life. There are a lot of women that are a part of the solution, not just the problem. Women who pay their own bills, who work hard as fuck, who forego families in favor of career. They are not the norm, but there are still quite a few of them.

>> No.7509778

>>7509768
>There are a lot of women that are a part of the solution, not just the problem.
I didn't want them to create the problem. Now they want credit for fixing it?

>let's all pat ourselves on the back for "talking" about how we're ruining men
no, shove their whore faces in the snow for a bit until they start making babies like biology intended. Wombs are not a social construct.

>who forego families in favor of career.
100% literally actually veritably truly the fucking problem

>> No.7509782

>remove the existing population to entice a new population from joining

>> No.7509793
File: 16 KB, 480x268, tmp_26898-1440958811568-221158387.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509618

I understand where you're ging with this comic but I think you're painting women as monsters and guys as naive but in reality both are just dumb. Women aren't collectively scheming against men. Both men and women just do what comes naturally to them, that's just the way it happens to turn out.

Don't blame either of them, anon; they're not malicious or naive; people, women and men, are both just really dumb and don't naturally tend to reflect upon and appreciate the full implications of their actions or attitude from a long-term, societal perspective. They think ahead like 1 semester at most and usually just long enough to get laid.

It's not their fault; people are just morons.

>> No.7509808

>>7509793
That exact same thing can be said for any criminal, warlord, or terrorist. So no, it doesn't work that way.

When a person purposefully causes harm to another, be that physically, psychologically, or socially, they bear the blame. It doesn't matter whether their malicious or just that dumb, the end result is the same.

Any grown up person who is allowed to vote, should be held fully accountable for their actions. And if not, then they better be put in some institution where someone else makes their decisions for them.

>> No.7509815

>>7509339
>having video game/movie posters in your classroom

pig disgusting

>> No.7509822

>>7509339
>>7509815
Why does the geeky classroom have vigeo game and film posters? Why are they crooked when the non-geeky posters are straight? Why are there things on the floor in the geeky classroom?

I think everyone would prefer the classroom without shit on the floor and shitty posters

>> No.7509846

>>7509722
It would be genius if we could ensure /r9k/ and /new/ contained 100% of stormfaggots and frogtards.
Unforunately they keep encroaching and metastasizing to other boards

>> No.7509852

>>7509339
>A new study by the University of Washington has found that female students are shit.
Fixed.

>> No.7509883

>>7509339
Wow, that's actually extremely sad. It'd be one thing if the classrooms were covered in literal shit and garbage, but all they mean by "geeky" is putting up some meaningless posters. Well, I guess posters of barbie dolls might have a similar effect on boys, but someone would have to test that.

>> No.7509965

How is the look of the classroom even a criterion to enroll in a special course of studies?
How would you even know how the classrooms look like, if you haven't enrolled and had some classes yet?
Also
>decorating your classroom with any kind of shit
wtf? who does that?

>> No.7509983

>women are incapable of seeing the bigger picture and instead focus on meaningless details like the posters on the wall and potted plants

this is so accurate and hilarious, what a pathetic gender

>> No.7509993
File: 211 KB, 900x790, artificial_womb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7509983
The artificial wombs will be the death of this useless people.
And not a moment too soon. If we let them, they'll collapse our Civilisation. Yet another one, i must add.

>> No.7510018

What a useless study

Nobody knows what their classroom will look like before enrolling. On top of that, I have never ever seen a classroom with video game or science fiction posters hanging around.

What is "geeky"?

Did they quantify geeky in this study? How did they decide on the elements of such a parameter? Would the table of elements be "geeky"? Are potted plants "un-geeky"?

Do we even know that this is the reason less females are trying to get compsci degrees? You can correlate classroom decoration and gender ratios until the cows come home, the research needs to show that this is a primary concern for students when they are enrolling. This is equivalent to making a degree choice based on which department has the best chairs to sit in.

>> No.7510054

>>7509793
So any disgusting behavior can be forgiven as long as the person isn't consciously trying to do fuck everyone over. It's not Stacy's fault that she craves Chad's cock even though she's already married and receiving all those beta-bux, no, she's just following her ignoble, retarded emotions and it's not her fault that she just so happens to be getting the best of both worlds from it.

Fuck off

>> No.7510055

>>7509883
They do not want to sit in a class with Milhouse and Randall; they want to be with Chad and Jay.

>> No.7510278

>>7510055
Not one wants to sit in a class full of Milhouse and Randall, not even Milhouse and Randall do.

>> No.7510287

>>7510278
Stop projecting, female.
Who you study with is only relevant when they are being disruptful.
Milhouse and Randall are quiet, Chad and Jay are loud.

I guess the subject interests you so little, you actually need distraction, hé ?

>> No.7510297

>>7509339
>Although women are right in one regard: OP is a faggot.

>> No.7510303

>>7510287
>implying just because I'm not autistic I must be female.

I study pure math. All of the retards who have lots of time to sit around obsessing over "geek" shit get filtered out into the retarded comp sci classes. It's clear to everyone that they're just they're because they just "wanna make games" and will end up in unemployment after their degrees.

>> No.7510314

>>7510303
>All of the retards who have lots of time to sit around obsessing over "geek" shit
And normie men and women who love drinking, hanging out and partying don't waste time? You think that everybody who is doing an undergrad degree should be studying during every waking hour?

>> No.7510334

>>7510303
>>implying just because I'm not autistic I must be female.
Honestly tell me you DON;T get a woody wearing your mother's panties.

>> No.7510341

>women aren't autists
>news at eleven

>> No.7510351

>>7509339
>hey guise, turns out women are shallow
nice discovery
>hey guise, the old ways were better, putting men and women in different classes can really improve the way women feel
of course it does

let's flood the market even more with half-assed STEM graduates

>> No.7510442

>>7509339
>Women concerned about appearances more than substance
>Men care only about intellectual pursuit

You don't say

>> No.7510955

>>7510341
>tfw no autistic gf

>> No.7510956

>>7509695
I think you will enjoy this read
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Wizardchan#Copypaste_loses_his_Mana

>> No.7510969

american students are retarded and you have to explain to them with specific ideas where their knowledge can be applied, instead of them actually thinking where they could apply it.
so you tell the boys they can make useful programs and games with their CS knowledge.
but we never told the girls they can use their knowledge to print nails for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScfU_0nxDNQ

>> No.7511002

>>7509339
Why did you screenshot instead of linking?
http://www.washington.edu/news/2015/08/24/to-get-girls-more-interested-in-computer-science-make-classrooms-less-geeky/
http://ilabs.uw.edu/dl/Computing_Belonging_2015.pdf

>> No.7511004

>>7511002
not OP but I'd guess not to give clickbaits more clicks

>> No.7511009
File: 103 KB, 600x667, phd051809s.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7511004
>clickbaits
It's the university website.

>> No.7511017

>>7509339
>new study finds that girls only care about shit that makes them popular and don't want to hang out with losers
Wow what a fucking discovery!
>on yes, and this is of course not the girls fault. It's the losers fault for not making computers look popular
I'm so glad I didn't choose to go to CS so I don't have to feel privileged or guilty about my profession

>> No.7511023

>>7511002
Some people prefer having the article in the OP. picture; I have nothing else relevant to post as a picture anyway
In my experience most people do not click the links.

So I either provide a screenshot of the article or a link, essentially just to prove the veracity of the article.

The other user is also right that screenshots can work better in not giving views to clickbait articles. Unfortunately my screengrab addon doesn't work for the Graudain, though, which probably has the most clickbait articles.

>> No.7511037

>>7509339
>bawww this shows that poor girls feel ostracised about not fitting in and not belonging
>implying this doesn't just show that girls avoid computer science because they look down on it as uncool and geeky

this is fucking pathetic.

it's insane how they try to frame everything as a victim narrative.

>> No.7511058

>>7511037
but anon, it is you, the dude who spends all his time on the computer and doesn't have the guts to talk to girls becasue they think you're a loser, it is you who is the true oppressor. why aren't you just more cool so girls will like computers too?

check
your
privilege

>> No.7511078

>>7511023
The screenshot removed the hyperlinks to the original paper. Don't do that.

>The other user is also right that screenshots can work better in not giving views to clickbait articles.
Clickbait articles are properly dealt with by finding the original source that the clickbait article is regurgitating.

>> No.7511144

>>7509755
>>>/r9k/
>>>/pol/
>>>/x/
get out of the house more, wizard