[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 24 KB, 450x250, marley-logo-infinity.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7485390 No.7485390 [Reply] [Original]

I was thinking of something, doesn't infinity seem like an impossible concept. I know a lot of mathematical theory is based on the concept of infinity, but does it really exist?
I'm more into physics, and the way we use infinity in our equations is just a way of saying (big number), not in a literal sense, but in math they use it for real. If the universe is actually finite, does this hold any ground?

>> No.7485402

nice try, wildburger. go back to smoking your crack pipe.

>> No.7485467

Nope even in maths it's not a number.

>> No.7485473
File: 196 KB, 485x409, 1440287926055.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Math, logic, philosophy are infinite. Therefore infinity exists.

>math is not infinite
Then Gödel is wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_incompleteness_theorems
Then Russell was not crazy when writing Principia Mathematica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica

So you can prove your statement by writing a sufficient foundation for mathematics, or logic, or philosophy.

tip: you can't
You are just another finitefag

>> No.7485475
File: 19 KB, 565x580, 565px-Aleph0.svg[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7485467
>it's not a number
pic related

>> No.7485481
File: 3.11 MB, 480x270, the_destroyer.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Your problematic platonic view of mathematics aside, in the very most cases, the concept is employed to formalize non-exhaustiveness. "there is always another one."

>> No.7485508

>>7485475
Sorry bruh, still not infinite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfinite_number

>> No.7485527

>>7485390
>I'm more into physics, and the way we use infinity in our equations is just a way of saying (big number), not in a literal sense, but in math they use it for real. If the universe is actually finite, does this hold any ground?
General relativity uses smooth manifolds. You can learn about the smooth category by looking at piecewise linear manifolds, but mathematicians study PL manifolds for real.
My point is, mathematicians study a load of shit that isn't physical. Interestingly, a lot of that theory end up being physically very interesting.
Your general point makes no sense anyway. Physics uses infinity all the time, not just as a "very large thing". Think about how important fields are, defined at every point of <span class="math">R^{n}[/spoiler].

>> No.7485540

>>7485508
>Transfinite numbers are numbers that are "infinite" in the sense that they are larger than all finite numbers
Every modern mathematician would say that transfinite arithmetic deals with infinite quantities. Cantor just had a thing for infinity and associated it with god. He hence thought that there should be an infinity greater than all others, which would break the theorem with his name. I suppose proper classes encompass this.
My point is that transfinite numbers are not finite, nor infinitesimal, hence infinite.

>> No.7485547

>>7485527
H gets it. I enjoy your contributions to threads.

Infinity need only be well-defined to mathematically "exist," and it is certainly well-defined. Some mathematical structures are less recipient to accommodating notions of infinity, but there is often a reasonable extension allowing it.

>> No.7485584

>>7485540
>Cantor just had a thing for infinity and associated it with god.
I honestly don't see how people don't understand that the infinity symbol is literally everywhere, just put a line as a radius from one of the hollow points to the outside of the symbol and you literally have already encompassed half of mathematical Logic just by doing that

>> No.7485623

>>7485390
>...doesn't infinity seem like an impossible concept.
No. Something can't come from nothing, and vice versa. Eternal existence in infinity space is the only possible explanation unless you introduce a supernatural ex nihilo being/event.

>> No.7485847

>>7485390

If there is no infinity, then what's the biggest number?

>> No.7485898
File: 83 KB, 600x600, 1440366114129.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7485847
This kills the finitefag

>> No.7485915

>>7485390
It "exists" just as much as any number exists.

>> No.7485926

>>7485915
Quantities can be observed by chance as a repetition of a unit, a pattern... while Infinity cannot be observed By definition! Therefore you are wrong.

>> No.7486008

Numbers are used to depict real life quantities that are measurable and exist in the observable universe(since we cannot know what is outside the observable universe and can only theorise about it).When numbers get extravaggantly big, or extravaggantly small, at one point, they'll stop depicting real quantities and they'll enter the field of theory.When the term "infinitely small" is used in physics, it means that it is so extremely small, that measuring it and getting data from it is disproportinately difficult.

>> No.7486039

>>7485926
You have never observed a single number in your entire life, just like you have not observed any words in your life time.

Words and numbers are in your head. Whatever it is in your consciousness relates sound waves and sights to these empty ideas.

Infinity is just another idea.

>> No.7486079

>>7485473
this

>> No.7486083

>>7486039
Quantities can be observed by chance as a repetition of a unit, a pattern... Therefore yes, I have observed a number in my life.
>like you have not observed any words in your life time.
You should check for psychosis. This is a classic schizo rambling.

>> No.7486273

The disconnect here seems to stem from assuming that a mathematical construct need "exist" in reality (it's hard to even say what this means). Nothing in math needs to ebe found in reality -- even the idea of a perfect circle seems unlikely to be found in nature.