[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 48 KB, 365x444, 1396698398738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7477292 No.7477292 [Reply] [Original]

How do people develop passion?

How does someone manage do derive the same enjoyment out of studying something as someone else playing video games? Is passion learnable? I read somewhere that passion increases with skill. No idea how true that is as I am sure there are people that enjoyed something even without having any skill. And I am also sure there are people that are good in their job but not passionate about it. There are so many areas of science and I don't think one can truly decide if they interest one without aquiring a certain amount of skill, like at least 4 semesters. But one doesn't have enough time to study every subject before making a decision. So how does one make it? How does one decide if one choose the wrong subject to study or if one just needs to endure the dry material and will have fun with the aquired knowledge later? Aptitude tests don't look realiable to me. I am confused /sci/.

>> No.7477297

>>7477292
>Passion
Stop listening to liberal arts students and get to work. You want to do/try something? Do it. Decided that's a bad idea? Go do something else.

>> No.7477301

>>7477292
>Is passion learnable? I read somewhere that passion increases with skill.

There's this psychological phenomena called flow which gives some credence to that. It's why, I suspect, people can stay passionate about increasingly difficult things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Also this >>7477297

Also,
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒█▀░░░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▐░░░▄▌▀▀▀▀▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▀▄░▌░░░░░▄▄█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▀▄░░░█▀░░░░▀▀▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀█░░░▄▐▀▀▀▀▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▌░░░░░░▄█▄▄▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌░░░▐▀▀░░░░▀▌▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀█░░░░░░░█▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐▄░░░▄▀▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒
THIS IS A LEMON LINE
REPOST IT, OR YOU BECOME A LEMON
AND JOIN THE LINE

>> No.7477307

>>7477297
>Do it. Decided that's a bad idea? Go do something else.

As I said there just isn't enough time for that.

>> No.7477315

>>7477292
I noticed that you have to have autism to be passionate.

>> No.7477338

>>7477301
Is any of Csikszentmihalyi's books worth reading or is it just pop sci bullshit?

>> No.7477357

>>7477301
Did someone say lemon line?
▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒█▀░░░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▐░░░▄▌▀▀▀▀▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▀▄░▌░░░░░▄▄█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▀▄░░░█▀░░░░▀▀▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀█░░░▄▐▀▀▀▀▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▌░░░░░░▄█▄▄▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌░░░▐▀▀░░░░▀▌▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀█░░░░░░░█▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐▄░░░▄▀▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒
THIS IS A LEMON LINE
REPOST IT, OR YOU BECOME A LEMON
AND JOIN THE LINE

>> No.7477393

>>7477292
I would agree that as you progress in something (that you already liked doing) that you DO become more passionate because now you see you are improving and that your efforts have resulted in progress of some sort. But don't confuse that with meaning that if you're good at it, you're passionate about it or that you must be good at something to be passionate about it. I'm saying as many people progress in their interests, they become more knowledgeable, dedicated and passionate towards them.

>> No.7477660

>>7477393
I think this is accurate. Sometimes I wonder if I'm passionate about my research because I've devoted 10 years of my life to it, resulting in sunk cost effect. But then I read the latest papers, get inspired, look at new data, look at old data in a new light, learn a new technique, and I realize the passion is real. I'm postdoc btw.