[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 400x601, oxDvs3S.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7449236 No.7449236 [Reply] [Original]

Why is it when I throw a punch in a dream it feels like I'm restrained and it's very slow and weak. Kinda like punching in water.

>> No.7449237

Wish I could punch you

>> No.7449238

I dont know, but I know the feeling you are describing. Whenever I am running in a dream I feel like I am running through water, and my legs will barely move.

>> No.7449247

>>7449238
Physics doesn't into dreams. Shit happens to lots of people.
On a related note I tried running sideways the other day and it helped. Didn't know it was a dream and it felt retarded, but I didn't get eaten either so whatever.
Anybody have valid studies on dreamlogic that aren't humdrum pseudo nonsense?

>> No.7449253

>>7449236
sleep paralysis. prevents you from flailing around and potentially hurting yourself or others while you sleep.

>> No.7449255

>>7449236
Interesting question.

>>7449253
This is probably part of it. It must be some proprioception leaking into your dream. You try to move your arm, but you don't feel it moving. In a dream state, you might interpret that as moving weakly.

Ever have sleep paralysis slowly wear off after you become conscious, so you can only move a little at first, and gain your strength bit by bit?

>> No.7449263

>>7449255
>Ever have sleep paralysis slowly wear off after you become conscious, so you can only move a little at first, and gain your strength bit by bit?

fortunately not yet. it must be a terrifying experience.
that's the reason why muscle relaxation for surgeries is only applied after the patient has gone into narcosis.

>> No.7449283

>>7449263
I have. It's terrifying while it's happening, but it's like having a nightmare. You realize afterward that your sense of needing urgently to move was based on some stupid thing from a dream, and there was never really anything wrong.

>> No.7450818

>>7449236
Because you don't have confidence in yourself; you expect your punches to be feeble and powerless, and therefore they are recreated in your dreams like that.