[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 10 KB, 300x197, CCwom1_06_07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7422897 No.7422897 [Reply] [Original]

why do females are not interested in science? Is it because they are not good at it? Is it because they have other priorities?

>> No.7422902

they're just not as autistic as men

>> No.7422922

>>7422897
>not giving your qt 3.14 math classmate a high five after you manage to finish the hardest problem in the set together

why even live?

>> No.7422938

>>7422922
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
I want to have a qt 3.14 female classmate

>> No.7422941

>>7422922
what's the value of beta ?

Hint : it's you.

>> No.7422946

>>7422941
>wanting to fuck a classmate
>wanting to ruin a perfectly good group dynamic of math solving

>not getting some inferior engineer fucktoy instead and continue enjoying your qt mathematician where she excels

are you even trying

>> No.7422959

Disagree with OP, a lot of my science teachers are female

>> No.7422964

>>7422897
>Is it because they are not good at it? Is it because they have other priorities?

They're not good at it BECAUSE they have different priorities. The average woman is much more interested in people than in things, while for men this is the other way round. The result is that more women go into fields that involve people, such as medicine, and more men go into fields that are about things, such as engineering and physics.

>> No.7422968

>>7422964
They have different priorities due to sexual dimorphism in neurobiology, you cannot attribute it only due to environmental/socialization purposes.

>> No.7422969

>>7422897
Unless they are women, ignore any posts here that are from men. They may have an opinion which is likely to be a guess. But to truthfully answer the question you need to ask a woman why they are uninterested in science, not a bunch of douche bag hacks on 4chan.

>> No.7422970

>>7422922
>high five
kek

>> No.7422978

Every female I know is interested in science to at least some degree. My old high school did a survey for our 10 year reunion, and far more of the females had science degrees than males.

So, um... your question makes no sense.

>> No.7422984

"why do females are not interested in science?"
Why is this fag not interested in grammar?

>> No.7422986

>>7422897
It's not a priority for the reason that it is a male dominated field, which is intimidating for an individual female. Also because there are few role models for women and no one encouraged women to join the STEM field.

>> No.7422989

>>7422969
this

>>7422968
>>7422964
look very valid too

>> No.7422991

Women do statistically much better than men in STEM fields. They simply don't have the inclination or interest to pursue those careers, for some reason.

>> No.7422993

>>7422984
I am. That is why im learning english, faggot.

>> No.7422998

their inherent selfishness prevents them from willingly furthering others

>> No.7423009

>>7422978
Social sciences are not science.

>>7422986
Are you kidding? They are even more encouraged to go into STEM than men.

>>7422991
>Women do statistically much better than men in STEM fields
Source?

>> No.7423012
File: 201 KB, 620x387, cozypepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7422897
>why do females are not interested in science?
because women are egotistic and seek nothing but to follow their desires, especially those form which they expect pleasures

>> No.7423038

>>7423009
http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/pisa-2009-at-a-glance/how-do-girls-compare-to-boys-in-science_9789264095250-11-en

I'm a teacher too; I see it every day.

>> No.7423062

>>7422897
Female brain is wired differently. They excel at other skills.

Brains of men excel at sciences.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38539/title/Male-and-Female-Brains-Wired-Differently/

>> No.7423066

>>7423062
The sexes' brains are wired differently, but at school girls generally pay more attention, are more driven (at least early on), and behave better. This adds up to large gains in school exams.

Boys sometimes catch up.

>> No.7423070

>>7423009
>Source?
his ass.

>> No.7423072 [DELETED] 

>>7423038
So girls get better grades in highschool? This isn't anything new and it is much more probable that they're both consciously and unconsciously favored by teachers considering 90% of teachers are female than saying they are smarter or better at that subject.

>> No.7423075

>>7423038
>15-year-olds
Yeah, it's well known that girls outperform boys in general while in grade school. I think OP is talking about university studies, though.

At my university, I've seen only a handful of women in undergrad engineering and physics, but we have a lot of Indian students in our engineering grad school, and I would guess 40-50% are women

>> No.7423076

>>7423038
>>7423062
So girls get better grades in highschool? This isn't anything new and it is much more probable that they're both consciously and unconsciously favored by teachers (considering 90% of teachers are female) than saying they are smarter or better at that subject.

>> No.7423079

>>7423066
>The sexes' brains are wired differently, but at school girls generally pay more attention, are more driven (at least early on), and behave better. This adds up to large gains in school exams.
>Boys sometimes catch up.
Who cares? That's completely irrelevant considering there's a larger percentage of men with higher IQ which translates directly into success later in life.

Science and progress in science is not a simple linear progress. Jut working on Riemann hypothesis hypothesis for 10 years, for example, doesn't mean it will produce a solution.

There's a bunch of retards out there, especially in teaching profession, who assume you can just practice something and become a genius. That's beyond idiotic.

>> No.7423082

>>7423076
>So girls get better grades in highschool? This isn't anything new and it is much more probable that they're both consciously and unconsciously favored by teachers (considering 90% of teachers are female) than saying they are smarter or better at that subject.
Not only that but considering how many teachers are female and how many of them are (sub)consciously feminists, there's a bias against boys.

>Eliminating feminist teacher bias erases boys' falling grades, study finds
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/eliminating-feminist-teacher-bias-erases-boys-falling-grades-study-finds

>> No.7423090

>>7423075
Girls tend not to study STEM at university, not because they're terrible at it, but because they're just not interested or have been put off by some reason.

Then again, I often see the determined girl who won't be put off and does go to do medicine/veterinary/biology/chemistry.

I'm a chemistry teacher and I consciously/subconsciously favour the girls because of this reason.

>>7423079
Don't kid yourself. You won't anywhere near Riemann if you don't pass high school well.

>>7423082
Nice commentary piece. No evidence whatsoever.

If there were a group of women who were likely not to be feminists, it's science teachers.

>> No.7423091

its a biological problem . females brains are wired differently . the neural path ways are laid out in a different way . they currently use it as a way to further the trany SJW stuff but beyond that crap but the data was known before the trany sjw crap .it explains decades worth of standardized test scores in america. females just dont do as well .

currently some would say male standardized test scores are lowering but thats just the black population growing . average iq in america was above 100 a decade and a half ago now its 98 . when you weed out black scores its all the same as it was lmao

>> No.7423097

>>7423090
>Don't kid yourself. You won't anywhere near Riemann if you don't pass high school well.

Are you trying to say that boys don't pass HS?

kek

>>7423090
>Nice commentary piece. No evidence whatsoever.
Dumbfuck, look at Nobel Prize recipients for sciences. How many are female?

Are you also denying that women have lower IQ than men?

>> No.7423106

>>7423090
>When women don't achieve anything in stem, it's because they're discouraged
>When men get lower grades in highschool, it's because womyn are smarter than men
There is just as much 'evidence' that women are discouraged as there is for bias against males in highschool. It's both something in peoples minds, which cannot be directly measured. We can only measure the consequences and try to track back to the problem.

>> No.7423113

ITT: Sentences you've never heard before

>My mother was an engineer

>> No.7423118

>>7423097
Not him, but, in most developed countries, the average IQ of men and women are very close. A study in the US found that the bell curve for women's IQ was narrower than men's, which could explain why there are many more men in academia then women. However, this doesn't hold true in other countries.

No sources or citations because I'm a lazy fucker

>> No.7423119

>>7423097
>Are you also denying that women have lower IQ than men?
On certain tasks, this is likely quite true. However proper test design has to be taken into account and to what degree it meaningfully reflects the whole. I scored quite highly on an IQ test in my mid teens (because I was clear dysfunctional and broken, they were likely looking for marked deficits), but it's likely more because I have a clustering of traits that make tasks like an IQ test trivial. Back then I had extremely good spatial reasoning, working memory, latency between stimuli and reaction (producing a correct result), etc. I blew away a lot of people, male and female, and this was professionally administered in a controlled medical setting by a neurologist.

However, I have a personality prone to fracturing. I hallucinate frequently, experience rapid shifts where I completely lose access to information and logic I've accumulated, and I'm a near homeless high school drop out that works like a flickering lightbulb at best.

I buried my score when I got it because while I knew it was likely near worthless, I feared it would falsely cloud my judgement. Never stops seeming absurd, people's fixation on IQ. There is clearly a sharp contrast between IQ scores and actual functional results. How banal, how myopic, how useless.

>> No.7423160
File: 118 KB, 618x412, Zen-Decorating-Ideas-for-a-Soft-Bedroom-Ambience_17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7422897

fuck you.

i have female friends that study physics and maths, one of them is even double majoring in physics + maths...

...and she doesn't GIVE A FUCK about anything related

She was just good at it in high school, and hey, it will pay good money, supposedly.

nerd women are the exception even in physics and maths.

my ex-gf ended her chemical engineering major with an average of 9,8 out of 10. I didn't even know that such a thing was possible.

still zero passion about it.

>> No.7423169
File: 158 KB, 731x1094, tyrande_whisperwind_by_zfischerillustrator-d7wl6nc.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sanguina lumina.

>> No.7423200

There are actually studies on this, you know.
> http://phys.org/news/2013-05-gender-gap-stem-majors-linked.html
> "We show that very little of the gender gap in STEM major selection is due to differences between men and women in their desire to have children or in their standardized math test scores, grades or science coursework in high school,"
> "The weak effect of work-family goals contradicts a lot of popular theories that claim that women choose motherhood over science,"

Anyway, this is only in the USA. In Canada, it's quite different. I don't have stats, but at the schools I went to, a significant majority of university students are female in basically every program, and the discrepancy goes up as you get into grad school. My undergrad comp sci cohort was 40% female. I did physics in grad school, and it was 50% at both places. Two of the most traditionally male-dominated fields... and they're hardly so now. The graduate chem and biology programs were almost entirely female.

>>7423113
But my mother is an engineer.

>> No.7423210

>>7422902
this, they're too dependent on feelings so they do what's "fun" instead.

>> No.7423228

>>7423160
>WAAAA BUT MY ANECDOTES!!! D:!
this is literally you.

>> No.7423251

>>7422969
>But to truthfully answer the question you need to ask a woman why they are uninterested in science,
>implying people in general are in touch with their most basic motivations

I like steak better than tuna.
I have no idea why.

>> No.7423257

>>7422897
>why do females are not interested in science?
Because they don't want to invest serious time into a science degree/career when 90%+ of them will take 5-10 years off to raise kids.
This is also the main reason for the "gender pay gap".

>>7422897
>because they are not good at it?
Women's IQ has a significantly lower standard deviation, thus the most exceptionally gifted (and most exceptionally stupid) people are disproportionately male.

>> No.7423263

>>7423113
kek

>> No.7423270

>>7422993
>I'm
>English

>> No.7423274

>>7423200
>But my mother is an engineer.
Ah, so she loves dicks

>> No.7423276

>>7423270
ah okay, thank you.

>> No.7423297

>>7423274
I verified this empirically.

>> No.7423560

>>7422941
truly excellent.

>> No.7423577

>>7422897
Because they are bitches and whores, of course. Statistically speaking. if you like, I have a collection of infographics from 4chan proving that women are retarded fuckholes who should stay in the kitchen.

>> No.7423583

>>7423577
What would cause someone to embrace this as the totality of their worldview?

>> No.7423585

>>7423583
Ask two thirds of this website.

>> No.7423614

>>7422897
I'm a male postdoc in astrophysics, and here's my take on this.

1. Women have a biological clock to have kids/start a family. Women above 35 have a MUCH harder time finding a husband than men finding wives when they are above 35. Getting into science takes A LONG TIME. This keeps women away.

2. 4chan likes to pretend sexism doesn't exist. It does, and it begins early on. Women aren't expected to pursue STEM related fields when they are in middle/high school, while boys are. Its social upbringing, and I think it's too late to change this.

3. Women are less competitive then men. Science is insanely competitive to get in to. Women are generally less aggressive/competitive then men.

4. This last one is just what I have seen in my experience. I don't know if this is backed up by fact, but it does seem to be true. Women are more average then men. Lets pretend that IQ measures intelligence accurately. There will be fewer men in the 90-110 IQ bracket then women. On the other hand, there will be more men with very high IQs and very low IQs. Again this part is just my personal experience, and I don't know if this is true.

>> No.7423619

>>7422969
>people have an inherent ability to know why they do things
Hahahahahahahahaha!
Need I point out how long it was the norm to belief in a soul and free will?

>> No.7423625
File: 1.51 MB, 1651x2200, Situ_Panchen._Mahasiddha_Ghantapa._From_Situ's_set_of_the_Eight_Great_Tantric_Adepts._18th_century,_Coll._of_John_and_Berthe_Ford..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>http://contexts.org/articles/what-gender-is-science/
>Female representation in science programs is weakest in the Netherlands and strongest in Iran, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, and Oman, where science is disproportionately female.

Feminism. Literally. For some strange reason, women in religious dictatorships are interested in Science, and women who can get access to the best education in the world are interested in Gender Studies.

However, let's understand that just because women participate, or even graduate, at higher rates than men in these countries, women don't actually find employment that uses their new-found education. Iran banned women from many subjects because of this.

So, in the west, the rise of feminism will be accompanied by a literal no-nothing smugness. The future female leaders of the west simply won't have the education to lead the nation, yet will demand positions of power.

In the east, feminism will continue to be opposed. The women there will acquire exceptional scientific skills, which will be harnessed by the men who run their societies for world-domination. The political context already exists for anti-feminist, anti-westernism. When the west starts to fall, while the east rises, the argument will be made that feminism caused it's fall from dominance.

The final nail in the coffin will come when western nations begin to emulate the successful eastern countries. The entire world order will collapse into a worldwide, patriarchal feudalism.

Combine this with religious extremism and immortality, and the future looks like Dune. We've even started consuming something called "Spice."

>> No.7423635

>>7423614
>2. 4chan likes to pretend sexism doesn't exist. It does, and it begins early on. Women aren't expected to pursue STEM related fields when they are in middle/high school, while boys are. Its social upbringing, and I think it's too late to change this.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Nigger please, in countries which are more oppressive to womyn like india you get more female engineers and blah blah but in gender-equal countries like sweden you get 90% engineers male.

>> No.7423649

Why is the notion that people like what they like because biology so offensive to many peoples' sensibilities?

Why is it offensive to say that your skills are based in biology?

Is it because it erodes the offendee's sense of agency?

>> No.7423654

>>7422897
It's mostly a cultural and sociological thing.

/thread

>> No.7423655

>>7423635
that's not the type of sexism I'm talking about. Its more that society expects men to be scientists/engineers, but not women. In high school, there were 4 girls in my AP physics class. 3 dropped out because we teased them about it, and the teacher did nothing about it. I'm not saying women are oppressed, but society does make it harder for them to become interested in science.

>> No.7423659

>>7422959
yeah and who hires teachers? HR. What fills 100% of HR departments? Women. Ask any student if they prefer a male or female science teacher and they will all say male unless she was attractive.

>> No.7423663

>>7423655
Mate... Seriously.. I really doubt there are countries where it is easier to go study science and engineering for women than in Europe. If you're seriously making the claim it's easier in india please feel free but you're going to need some fucking citations.

>> No.7423668

>>7423649
People get offended by arguments from biology because they automatically treat correlations, however slight, as ironclad laws.

So if you are saying that women are less likely than men to be interested in science, people assume you are trying to say that women cannot and should not do science, when obviously this may not be case.

And they fail to realize that, as always, correlations do not diminish (or augment) the accomplishments of any individuals.

>> No.7423674

>>7423649
>Why is the notion that people like what they like because biology so offensive to many peoples' sensibilities?
because you Fucking asshole moron, it has nothing to do with sensibilities, it's pseudo fake ass non-science. You're piece of shit raisin brain is confusing biological determinism which is and has employed the low level reasoning used by empty head shitbirds who pushed evolutionism, as actual biololgy - which it is not, you dipshit.

>Why is it offensive to say that your skills are based in biology?

because they're not. epigenetics you dumb fucktard.

>Is it because it erodes the offendee's sense of agency?

lol, by who, you?

I've run on empty with it, this is barely sheeple level.

>> No.7423685

>>7423674
>implying epigenetics isn't congruent with biology, as if they are somehow apart.
This guy lol.

>> No.7423688

>>7423663
I know nothing about European countries, I got my education in America, but you can't possibly think that Indian parents have nothing to do with this? I'm sure Indian parents push their daughters into STEM more then western parents. Are you even bothering to read my post?

>> No.7423695

>>7423688
Fucking Americans.

Well I'm talking about europe since I said in Sweden and other such gender-equal countries engineers still are 90% males. How does one explain that in countries with free education, extremely nonoppressive relative to other countries, the sexes still take stereotypical professions on average and in fact do so more than in less equal, more oppressive places?

>> No.7423703

>>7423659
>Ask any student if they prefer a male or female science teacher and they will all say male unless she was attractive.
No. Although my biology teacher had an attractive intern.

I'm apt to fight with the majority male teachers, or perhaps it's more accurate to say they're apt to fight with me. With the majority of personality types, I simply do not get along. As a kid that was certainly true, I seemed to only be capable of two states: passive detachment, and constant conflict. Male teachers don't like me for whatever reasons, and I didn't care much for them. Though it isn't necessarily universal either. There's a lot to be said for that actually, as far as understanding biases and dynamics between students and teachers, that goes well beyond my own tendencies.

Female teachers on the other hand tend to be more fluid. There's usually no friction. I like it because the presence of force is typically minimal. The science teacher I remember best was my 10th grade biology teacher. Though my 8th grade science teacher was male, and he was pretty decent.

Etc. TL;DR, I'd be slightly more apt to choose a female teacher. Male teachers go into depth where it's needed no more consistently than females. I never connect with anyone either way, so the notion of "foreign thought processes" becomes null to begin with, it's always a lossy translation.

>> No.7423707

>>7423091
i'm offended that you're breathing good air.
>>7423009
stats isn't science? then shit, no data, no fucking point to life huh, it's allah and the bible time.
fucking damnit, I can't be here much longer with this pathetic shitbird fucktardetry. I'm not even going to refer to that such as *it as people anymore.

what pit do these things crawl out of.

>> No.7423710

>>7423695
read my previous post

>> No.7423711

>>7423710
>I think women in the states have a hard time going into science because sometimes people make jokes about it and I'm sure Indian parents push their daughters into STEM and nobody teases them about it
Good summary?

>> No.7423712

>>7422897
I'm a female and I love science. Fuck you.

>> No.7423721

>>7423712
See >>7423668

>> No.7423726

>>7423160
This is what I have observed as well. Even when women are good at STEM (which is not common, but still happens), they just don't seem to be as passionate or inquisitive about it and don't question what they learn as much as men. It's like they just accept what they're taught unthinkingly and play along.

>> No.7423732

>>7423097
>Dumbfuck, look at Nobel Prize recipients for sciences. How many are female?
There has always been systemic sexism in the Nobel prize process. Have you ever heard of Jocelyn Bell Burnell? Chien-Shiung Wu? Rosaline Franklin? All made significant contributions to Nobel Prize winning research but were excluded for no good reason. Hedy Lamarr was an actress who invented Wifi in her spare time. I could go on. There's a long list of women who made enormous advances in science but are largely forgotten simply because they were women. Would anyone in this thread work in STEM if you knew for certain your work was going to be ignored, stolen, or marginalized?

>> No.7423738

>>7423732
>Would anyone in this thread work in STEM if you knew for certain your work was going to be ignored, stolen, or marginalized?
Unjustified comparison, most people in this thread are male and there's no reason to expect males would behave like females.

>> No.7423775

>>7423732
>Would anyone in this thread work in STEM if you knew for certain your work was going to be ignored, stolen, or marginalized?
why it is not the case for men. ?

>> No.7423778

>>7423738
It's a valid question, unless you are actually suggesting that the people in this thread would have no issue with their hard work being attributed to someone else.

>> No.7423783
File: 423 KB, 1600x2353, Christina-Hendricks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7422897
Can you guys tell me why more women should go into STEM ?

>> No.7423784

>>7423726
Bullshit. I do that.

Stop being sexist.

>> No.7423815

>>7422897
I'm studying physics, there's about 3 girls to 1 guy on my university that are taking classes with me, there are only two of them that are actually into physics and one of them is shit in anything beyond classical physics because as she said: "Quantum and that stuff is all shit, we live here and now, what use do we have from all those theories.", the other girl is one of the more intelligent people I've ever met and I believe she (soon she will be a he) has a bright future in the field.
All other girls are in it to become teacher or make money, they all cheat and learn stuff by heart not trying to understand it.
To be fair the guys situation is only slightly better, most of them are anime and marvel watching faggots.

>> No.7423828

>>7423778
How about 'if you don't go into science because you think you're not going to get a nobel prize, you should probably not have gone into science to begin with'

>> No.7423835

>>7422991
Wouldn't the statistics be skewed since there's a small sample size of women?

>> No.7423842

>>7423815
>(soon she will be a he)
lel

>> No.7424196

I find that women dont take a real interest in anything, they just follow the rules given to them. I never see them asking questions in class to understand how something works, I never see them taking interest in related things on their own time, I never see them truly getting down and dirty into the real shit, if they are in a hard subject, they usually stay in the shallow end of it.

Theyre just not passionate about it.

>> No.7424379

>>7423711
>and nobody teases them about it

I never said that? Why are you putting words in my mouth.

Indian parents push their kids harder. I think there's a general just suck it up and do it attitude there.

>> No.7424396

>>7424379
>all these opinions and claims
Y no source? You wouldn't hold unfounded opinions would you?

>> No.7424408

has no one ever seriously done a survey simply asking women why they aren't in STEM

wouldn't that clear things up instead of just sitting here making conjectures

>> No.7424422

>>7424408
Because you will get things like it is boring as main answer.

I would say the same if they asked me why I didn't main in history or some shit.

And to finish the discussion, women tend to prospect other future that isn't academia and most of them have in their future raising a family as main goal.

So they cannot take the pressure of a doctorate and living trough the cuckoldry that is academia.

But then, I don't find anything wrong with that. But for some reason women themself bully this type of thinking.

>> No.7424424
File: 126 KB, 626x582, 1438001220239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7424408
Because the response you get, or explanation of those mundane answers, is that the women in question have simply internalised the misogyny and oppression of their culture.

>> No.7424432

>>7423784
Yes, it is a typical student behaviour, but it is the worse in the females compared to the males.

>stop being sexist
Can't you SJW fucks actually address peoples' arguments instead of resorting to name-calling for once. This is why everybody hates you.

>> No.7424449

>>7424396
have you ever met indian kids/parents?

>> No.7424451

>>7424449
>muh anecdotes
Any you've met have probably been highly motivated individuals and capable individuals to have been able to escape their god-forsaken hellhole of a country. This is a significant bias. Ffs Murica lift your game.

>> No.7424473

>>7424451
What are you even arguing at this point?

>> No.7424494

>>7424473
Not him but the argument seems to have gone like this:
>why do women in countries where they have the most autonomy tend toward non-STEM if the some oppressive structure is keeping them out of it?
>Indian parents push their kids harder
>How do you know this
>an anecdote about Indian parents
>The Indian parents they meet are likely the highly motivated/capable individuals who left their countries, making it a totally insufficient source for how things are done in India itself

>> No.7424502 [DELETED] 

>>7424432
>Can't you SJW fucks actually address peoples' arguments instead of resorting to name-calling for once. This is why everybody hates you.
This so much.

>> No.7424524

>>7423655
Actually its quite well documented that the difference between science and social science and corresponding gender disparity found in enrolment is precisely caused by the freedom of choice generated by Western cultures. 2nd/3rd world countries' women often decide to go into more empirical subjects (engineering and such) because they feel more of a responsibility to be a provider.

>> No.7424537

>>7422897
I feel like this is true except in mathematics. A third of my department's faculty is female.

>> No.7424543

>>7424524
>>7423655
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6usiN4uoA

>> No.7424547

I guess >>7424537 corroborates >>7424524

No one becomes a mathematician to be useful or wealthy

>> No.7424562

>>7424451
>>7424494

Ok, then yeah, my opinion on the discrepancy in india is just speculation on my observations. But the main argument in this thread is why women don't get into stem. There is still more male engineers in india, so I don't understand your point.

>> No.7424567
File: 903 KB, 300x200, gotcha.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7422969
>Unless they are women, ignore any posts here that are from men.
>ignore all women that are men.

>> No.7424572

>>7423668
>People get offended by arguments from biology because they automatically treat correlations, however slight, as ironclad laws.
Would you like to cite an example of this?

>> No.7424576
File: 183 KB, 1280x960, 1393280654955.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1st year physics : 50% females
>2nd year : 10% females
>3rd year : 4% females
>master : 1/8

i don't know why but they keep dropping out

>> No.7424582
File: 391 KB, 250x189, 1435114542554.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7424543
Quality post
10/10

>> No.7424589

>>7424576
>>3rd year : 4% females
>>master : 1/8
So they jump from 4% to 12.5%? How does that work?

>> No.7424599

>>7424589
well i didn't express the last one in % because we were only 8 people in my master , compared to ~50 before

>> No.7424604

It is interesting to compare the number of female Nobel laureates in Physiology/Medicine and Physics.

>> No.7424605
File: 1.71 MB, 500x500, 1417275148335.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7424582
Thanks, Pat.

>> No.7424610

>>7422922
>tfw taking calc III this last year from a really great teacher, really seems to love what he teaches
>we are talking about line integrals
>Tries showing us how some people do it by visualizing it rather than doing it calc
>starts talking about how he was never really the best at the visualizing, but his wife who also works in the department can do it quickly and she's knocked out problems he was working on pretty quickly
>you will never have a relationship like that where you both enrich each other's skills

why
even
live

>> No.7424623

>>7422897
your english gave me cancer

>> No.7424630

>>7424610
>wanting a relationship where the only enriching that happens is how to do integrals differently

Mate I like math too but come on that life would suck dicks.

>> No.7424633

>>7424610
Yeah there are two math couples in my department, I wonder if they worked on a paper together.
>tfw no husband wife team producing groundbreaking results in representation theory

>> No.7424645

>>7424630
>implying
They told other stories other than math so it isn't like that, but both of them are pretty smart people. That was probably just an example since it was only at calc III level. The guy just genuinely seems to love what he does

>>7424633
Yeah, I think that would be awesome to do to be honest. They apparently worked on a couple of papers together, although i never read them.

>> No.7424662

>>7423655
Maybe its because the girls in your school weren't interested in science. Stop going around blaming society when women just aren't as interested in STEM fields as men are. Just because it's a trend doesn't make it oppression, it just is what it is.

>> No.7424714

>>7423297
OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH

>> No.7424748

>>7422897
https://vimeo.com/19707588

>> No.7424804

>>7422922
>>7422938
>3.14
>numerical equivalent of perfect
goddamned you engineers piss me off

>> No.7424817
File: 342 KB, 671x768, 2015-07-08_11-58-14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7424804
dude, it's "qt pi"

not "qt perfect

>> No.7424838

>>7424817
pi isnt 3.14

>autism RAAAAGE

>> No.7424840

>>7423783
for the same reasons more men should go into stem

and also because that makes it easier to find a qualfiied mate

>> No.7424850

>>7423815
go to a better school

>> No.7424865

>>7422897
Because according to Wikipedia, the male/female sex ratio of autism and assburgers averages at about 4:1. The similar, predominantly female associated Rett syndrome doesn't grant superpowers.

>> No.7424877

>>7422897
they have babies, and become mothers that need to nature the baby, they could get nannies but that's no way to treat a baby. or don't have babies and focus on science, but then they don't have a relative to continue improving science. they also might not be socially encouraged to do science, and if a girl does chose to do science she can be further discouraged from others not believing she is capable. but women in science exist, these are women who don't care what others think and persevere through these trials, meaning they truly wanted to do science and deserve to do it. that and women are given quotas so they can get into science.

>> No.7424881

>>7422897
I only know a handful of 9/10 Russian Phds, but otherwise, the females doing their Bachelors are just giggling surrounded by orbiters and copying their homework. Once they have their undergrad, they usually switch to some management master.

>> No.7426142

Lack of curiosity?
No fostered interest?

>> No.7426295

>>7424610
Hrimiuc? Yaskin?

>> No.7426306
File: 17 KB, 429x241, male_female_bell_curve_.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7422897

>> No.7426330

>>7422897
maybe for the same reason why almost all males are not interested in science?