[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 37 KB, 853x487, swedish science.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7418578 No.7418578[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why is science so sexist? Are men afraid that women will outperform them cause women are smarter?

>> No.7418586

>>7418578
At the start about half my year were girls.
Now there's like 5 of them.

>> No.7418590

>>7418578
>400 level
>DoP
>7.5 credits

wat

>> No.7418731

>>7418578
Leave that institution immediately. Nobody is going to take such a shit course for 7.5 points seriously.

>> No.7418892

>>7418578
The gap is mostly in math, physics, and engineering I think. From what I understand there are a pretty good number of women in life sciences and chemistry.

>> No.7418897

>>7418892
pure math has a pretty decent amount of women in my uni. It's most obvious in engineering, physics and CS.

>> No.7418918

>>7418578
>Stockholm university
Why am I not the least bit surprised that this shit is from Sweden. Literally a nation of cucks.

>> No.7418927

>>7418578
Men know that all women think they're smarter because men constantly tell them they are just so they don't have to deal with their bullshit... that and tits.

>> No.7418930

Tying to give an honest answer.

People can be sexist. Not subjects. If more males are interested in a subject then females, then it's a fact (and facts shouldn't be censored for the sake of being 'sensitive' or 'politically correct').

One popular opinion is that the distribution is caused by the environment, notably culture, marketing and media. Hence the people propogating that culture and producing that material are probably more to blame. Though in most cases I don't think it's intentional, and it's due to ignorance or conservatism.

>> No.7418932

Women tend to become head of the lab less often, and they usually don't get as much credit as men for this reason. See Rosalind Franklin, Jocelyn Bell, or Lise Meitner.
But they are here. I don't think there is any discrimination.

>> No.7418937

>>7418578
I don' think science is sexist, just not used to women being around and thus permeated with a male worldview.
It's always hard to get into a culture that is different from yours, that's why some women complain about "hostility" (not saying that there isn't any real hostility, but most of it is "being in a man's world").

Judging form the few women in my engineering course I'm certain that women aren't any less made for science than men are, but something in our (and in pretty much every other culture on this planet) keeps the majority of women from being generally interested in hard science, I'd love to know what it is.

>> No.7418940
File: 17 KB, 429x241, male_female_bell_curve_.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7418578
On which metric exactly ?

>> No.7419267

>>7418937
Maybe it's just the women I've known, but at my high school most of the women were interested in medicine and most of the men were interested in engineering. I feel like men tend to want to build, and women want to nurture, at least on some level (not to say that there isn't deviation from that, I just mean on average). Maybe that's sexist, idk. I feel like in the next couple decades we won't see a MAJOR shift with respect to comp sci or (mechanical) engineering, but we'll see medicine and biology dominated by women. Could just be where I'm from or the time period we live in. Who knows.