[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 530x444, 1412664346166.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7416278 No.7416278 [Reply] [Original]

> taking hours and hours to solve some problems in chapter 3 of baby rudin

seriously making me doubt my future as a mathematician

>> No.7416286

Everyone goes through slumps

>> No.7416300

>>7416278
m8 I averaged a ~99% on every test throughout calc 1-3 and diff eq, thought I was a a math major, loved math, decided to read baby rudin along with Munkres this summer.. I lasted a cumulative 3 chapters before I caved and switched my major to engineering

THIS IS NOT A TROLL OR COPYPASTA THIS SHIT HAPPENED TO ME THIS FUCKING SUMMER

>> No.7416315

>>7416300
Whoa, same thing happened to me.

>> No.7416318

>>7416300
>>7416315
Please stop making me question my future guys.

>> No.7416328

>>7416300
Mathmiticians don't take 3 calcs and diffyQs the few that didn't take it in high-school take one calc before taking analysis.

This kid is a troll, also Rudin is baby stuff off yourself.

>> No.7416329

They are not easy problems. At a certain level the expectation is that problem sets will take hours of headscratching, so you can learn to headscratch like a researching mathematician.

If you got through chapter 2 okay you're probably doing just fine. I remember when I was reading the second edition from my university library and in the problem section for chapter 2, in the space of a single problem, he asks you to work out the relationships between limit point compactness, sequential compactness, topological compactness, separability, and second countability in a relatively general abstract topological context with little guidance or even an indication that the axiom of choice is necessary for one of the implications. He mercifully broke that one down into smaller problems for the third edition.

By the way, that book is bit brutal with its conciseness. Apostol gets more love here.

>> No.7416343

>>7416300
>>7416328
some schools do make math majors take engineering "math" as well.

what you saw, m8, was the first introductory math class. that's math. calc isn't math. gid gud or get out

>> No.7416359
File: 828 KB, 777x613, mathbook.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7416328
No, this is a real and true story. It's a cal state school and yeah everybody takes 3 calcs and diff eq. The only way out of taking all that (for every math major in the country) is taking bc calc in high school, which I didn't do.

I seriously doubt my story is uncommon, the majority of college students are introduced to math through calculus, and it's a prereq for the vast majority of classes (or its a prereq for a prereq, etc).
It turns out that ability to slay calculus computations has little to do with "math"

pic for the faggot who called me out despite knowing nothing

>> No.7416364

>>7416329
yeah chapter 2 I got through just fine. this isn't my first exposure to real math, either, at least at the undergrad level. I taught myself abstract algebra up to some galois theory and I've taken a number theory course. Actually I really like his direct, sparse exposition. It's mostly just the extremely difficult symbol pushing that's killing me.

>> No.7416375

>>7416359
>It turns out that ability to slay calculus computations has little to do with "math"
This is something that really needs to be taught to people before they seriously consider studying math. Your story isn't uncommon at all, math up until after differential equations is typically a lot more computation than anything. If you decide to go the pure math route after that you end up with theory and proofs that can feel completely foreign to anything you've done before.

>> No.7416379

nigga as long as you're solving them, or go be a theoretical physicist

>> No.7416381

>>7416359
>Prereq chains building up to second year before you even start analysis.

Are you fucking kidding me? If what you're telling me is true then you retards at cal never get to do more than two years of real math in your undergrad. No wonder everyone thinks it's a meme major, faggots like that dragging down the average.

Also your pic doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you bought two textbooks. You could be a poly sci major for all we know or care.

>> No.7416389

>>7416381
>Cal state school
It's not Cal, you faggot.

>> No.7416397

>>7416381
It's not just a Cal thing. I go to school out in the Midwest and we have the same thing, math majors have to take Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, and Linear Algebra (alongside a Foundations of Math class that can be taken along with any of the Calc classes but has to be before Linear Algebra) before really moving on to anything. Some people come in with credit from BC Calc and can start with Calc III but most people don't come in with that. I had credit from AB Calc and could have started with Calc II but wanted to retake Calc I to make sure I was ready for a college level math and others I know did the same.
>>7416389
Then why did you say
>>7416359
>It's a cal state school

>> No.7416399

>>7416389
>>7416397
Shit nevermind, I see what you mean now.

>> No.7416401

>>7416397
It's not me, first of all.
Cal State means any of the 23 universities in the CSU system.
Cal is Berkeley, which is the flagship of the UC system.

>> No.7416405

>>7416389
>>7416397
Shut up. Just shut up and delete this anons.

Jesus fucking christ do you have any idea how much damage control I'm going to have to do now? This is literally the worst thing that's happened since the holocaust.

>> No.7416406

>>7416405
Godwin's law.
fuck.

>> No.7417242

>>7416405
are you OPs mom or something
why do you have damage control to do

>> No.7417261

>>7416300
Obviously you were never ment for it then friend. I am an actual advanced pure math major. To anyone who is deeply fond of the study calc 1-3 are a simple joke. Even the honors were a joke for me my freshmen year. My freshmen honors linear algebra class was hard as a first jump into proofs and abstraction but I did very well because I knew what mathematics actually was. People like you do not. And just fyi to everyone. Diff EQs is the easiest class. Even my honors ordinary advanced diff EQs class is easy. It's one of the more computational math courses. One should actually learn real math(ring theory, p-Sylow theory) before thinking one knows what actual math is.

>> No.7417337

>>7416318
It's a good thing, be realistic. Prolly get through it though, math is like that.