[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 500x375, ayy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7414797 No.7414797 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think is the most realistic depiction of advanced multicellular life not from Earth in fiction? In real life could they be intelligent, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humour like humans?

>> No.7414808

>>7414797
Not too familiar with enough sci-fi to give a good answer, but humanoid aliens are almost certainly out. All we can do is look at what traits on earth have evolved independently multiple times to see how likely it is that that trait evolves. So I would expect some aliens to have eyes, some could have wings.

Also there are traits that I would think would be common. If the alien planet had motile animal-like life forms, there's a good chance they will be either bilaterally symmetrical or radially symmetrical. Tentacles would seem like the most likely type of limb I would think.

Social species would also probably be common, and there's a lot of stuff about sociobiology that's based in game theory, so I would expect many social traits would be similar.

>> No.7414810

>>7414797
Either non-existent or never going to interact with humans.

>> No.7415014

>>7414797
I don't know anon, every depiction of ayy lmaos I can think of just seems fucking stupid or too close to humans to have evolved light years away. I can only speculate that an intelligent species must have some means of decent cognitive proccessing and enviroment manipulation, so brains and hands or tentacles.

>> No.7415076

http://www.uphysicsc.com/2013contest.html
This is from the University Physics Competition, something I hope to take part in if I git gud in modelling and Physics at some point.

Since we're talking about organisms not on Earth the question for that year takes into account one of the possible environments the Astronomers have proposed. Have a look, it's interesting if you know a little Physics

http://www.uphysicsc.com/2013-GM-B-611a.PDF