[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 515 KB, 2000x1265, 1420344035523.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7306733 No.7306733[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, I need your help.

There's this girl, and I've come to care for her quite a bit.
She hasn't been fortunate enough to have a positive upbringing though. And what I mean is, her parents were hardcore christians that sent her to bible camp, rather than space camp. And she managed to break free of those silly religious tethers, but fell into the hole of things such as astrology, spirit science, homeopathy, and countless other new age trendy culty bullshit. Admittedly, I used to believe in spirit science, but once I pulled my head out of my ass and played devil's advocate for a little bit, it became clear rapidly how stupid all of it was.

Now, she may be caught up in all this bullshit, but she's honestly a very smart girl. You know how you can recognize intelligence in people through humor, or art, or even just regular socializing? She's been over many nights, and I'll be showing her things on the computer, like how to torrent files, troubleshoot faulty mp3 players, change the oil in her car, etc etc, and she tackles it with exuberance and confidence.
And I feel like that energy and intelligence could be put to much better use than this new age shit.

She's going to school in western canada this fall to do some phytotherapy/holistic nutrition dual 'degree' bullshit. Here's the link:
http://www.pacificrimcollege.com/faculties-programs/program/dual-diplomas-of-phytotherapy-and-holistic-nutrition/

I've already opened her eyes to the scam of a company she's currently working for, and now that she realizes it, she's planning on jumping ship from them. But she's jumping to another burning one.

So I ask you guys, can you help me make a brief, diplomatic, concise article that outlines the who, what, when, where, why, and how of how all this shit is bullshit?

>> No.7306744

>>7306733
you sound like an intolerable beta with a large ego who thinks they know shit

>I've already opened her eyes etc etc
get over yourself

>> No.7306745

stop trying to save the women you want to fuck

>> No.7306748

the truth is being indoctrinated fucks up your ability to think logically so truly she will never be able to think as someone not brought up that way

>> No.7306752
File: 21 KB, 286x200, 200_s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7306745
But we're already fucking

>>7306744
It's not like that though
>She starts working for some company
>She's telling me all about it
>It's just an LED supplier/installation company based on a farm they're leasing
>They're using fucking Tesla as their image for the company
>The female boss is all about the astrology, holistic healing, all that shit, or so this girl tells me anyway
>I'm convinced that the female boss and her husband know this girl is into that stuff, and are using that belief to screw her out of an honest wage
>Girl tells me about all the good shit that's gonna happen, and how she's going to be rich and helping the world
>Find out her job is just secretarial, and book keeping, and helping out on the farm
>All for less than minimum wage
>But it's ok she tells me, because they got her a car
>Which is cheap, used pos that she's slowly paying for out of her own pocket
>Force myself to let her go her own path and learn from her mistakes
>Finally cave after 3 months of watching her mental and physical health deteriorate from scraping by with nothing and easing her mind with delusions of grandeur
>Tell her how and why it's all bullshit
>She comes to me a few weeks later and informs me that she's cut down her hours, and increased her wage by $6, so she's now $5 above the minimum wage
>Tells me that she's getting out of there and going to school
>Then she tells me exactly what the schooling is
And here we are

>> No.7306756

>>7306752
same answer, stop trying to save girls

She has to fix her own problems. Trying to solve a woman's problems will only get you in deep shit.

I'm just offering you solid advice. If you don't want it, that's on you.

>> No.7306763
File: 150 KB, 539x946, 1358117603176.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7306756
But that's complete bullshit.
When I first graduated high school, I was at my mom's side of the family's cottage.
I was telling a couple uncles of mine that I wanted to do video game design.

Right away they tore apart exactly why it would have been such a shitty industry to get into, between the 30k annual salary average, and then there's the outsourcing to places like India, further lowering the price on the work, and narrowing the job market.
There was other shit, but basically I went to my room and broke down.
But I took their advice, and knew that I wanted security and independence in my life, so I had to do some brainstorming to try and figure my life out.
It took me a few years, but I'm currently a 3rd year electrician.

To say that there's no hope for anyone is complete bullshit, and I'm not really asking for advice.

I'm asking for your help.
To help me cut through the thick cheese shit of all this new age stuff and make an extremely brief article that can deprogram the indoctrinated, so to speak.

>> No.7306765

>>7306752
if you're in a happy/balanced relationship as is then if she greatly matures, as you suggest she would be well off doing, then surely she'll be far beyond you and no longer want you

grow together or apart, but if you work "as is" and she grows and you don't then you're an idiot

>> No.7306767

>>7306763
also, this is fucking irrelevant as fuck

>> No.7306773

>>7306763
>Right away they tore apart exactly why it would have been such a shitty industry to get into, between the 30k annual salary average, and then there's the outsourcing to places like India, further lowering the price on the work, and narrowing the job market.
My brother's roommate made over $100K off an indie game he made with his friend on his downtime during college. Game design is highly profitable if you have talent. The game is called Anodyne if you want to check it out.

>> No.7306780

>>7306752
How about you tell her that there's many other interesting courses out there. Take her to an open day at a local uni and let her find out other courses she can do. IDK say that her choice of uni is not great because they only focus on one thing?

>> No.7306788

"New age trendy culty bullshit" is hard to break people out of because it's such amorphous woo that there is not one concrete piece of it that can be refuted to make people get out of it. Rather there's a certain mindset that leads people into taking that piss for grated as making any sense at all, a mindset that's generally un-analytical, un-critical, gullible, and easily impressed by lots of big words strung together.

You say you pulled your head out of your ass and came to understand why that perspective is horseshit. Present the same logic to her. There's no single article that will fix this. It will necessarily be a gradual process and not an easy fix. Though if you're too pushy about constantly refuting her beliefs she mind come to find you to be a shithead. You who know the person in real life are better equipped to approach this than anonymous internet fucks.

>> No.7306789

>>7306773
It's cool that he made a bunch of money, but that game has nothing original in it

Almost looks like an exact ripoff of Link's Awakening

>> No.7306790
File: 74 KB, 780x519, 1346962221649.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7306773
That's fair, and cool tbh, I'm just not much of a risk taker like that. I prefer a more guaranteed income, and the field I'm in is perfect for that.

>>7306780
Sooo rather than get super technical with her, just do a bait and switch?

>>7306767
It's relevant, the previous anon said trying to help people is a waste of time and I used my anecdote to point out that it's not.

>>7306765
I have no idea wtf you're talking about, sorry.

>> No.7306795

>>7306789
Did you play the game? It's not a ripoff, it's obviously and openly inspired by Link's Awakening, but the tone and style of the game is very unique.

>> No.7306801
File: 22 KB, 480x346, 1427434418796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7306788
>There's no single article that will fix this. It will necessarily be a gradual process and not an easy fix. Though if you're too pushy about constantly refuting her beliefs she mind come to find you to be a shithead.
You're absolutely right.

>You who know the person in real life are better equipped to approach this than anonymous internet fucks.
Yea, again, you're probably right, this thread is definitely teaching me that.
I guess it's just frustrating watching it happen, and overwhelming trying to read into each new piece of bullshit and trying to figure out how to concisely describe why it's bullshit without them pulling back and shutting down, you know?

Cause that's the hardest part of it, you try and tell people that they're objectively wrong, and the majority will get extremely defensive and shut down from all outside criticism, it's like a defense mechanism for the brain almost.

>> No.7306841
File: 41 KB, 544x400, sm stop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7306733
> but she's honestly a very smart girl
No she isn't. Wiki: halo effect (cognitive bias); retard (you).

/thread