[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3.62 MB, 320x212, bobbit_hobbit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7243997 No.7243997 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,
I just started working in a lab for the summer and realized that there's a hell of a lot to learn that I never learned in class. It's not like I didn't expect this to happen, but shit, transitioning from the classroom to the real world is nerve-wracking. I guess what I'm looking for is for you guys to share your experiences with starting your STEM careers. Specifically, what was expected of you in the first few months? Did you feel you knew exactly what you were doing? If not, how long did it take for you to get the hang of it? Am I worrying a bit too much about this?

For context, I've been asked to design an optical component called a spatial filter for our laser. I searched the web and got info on how they worked, drew a diagram, found the right equations and everything. Then at work today I found out that this spatial filter has to be assembled in a small vacuum chamber (which I also have to design) because the beam will otherwise create plasma and fuck everything up. I'll probably have to bug the P.I. or grad students with questions, but I don't want to come off as an idiot. What do?

Additionally, feel free to post related questions or discussion you have on the topic of research/internships.

>> No.7244743
File: 2.66 MB, 350x262, 1421269166058.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> there's a hell of a lot to learn that I never learned in class
>I'll probably have to bug the P.I. or grad students with questions, but I don't want to come off as an idiot
welcome to research OP

I felt the same way you did, when I first started I asked a shitload of questions and naturally fumbled around a lot for a couple weeks. your supervisor and older peers will understand and, if they're not assholes, they should be pretty happy to help you if you're putting in honest effort (surely they were in your shoes once). it's totally normal for someone just getting into research or a new lab, you'll get good and more confident if you keep trying.

one of the things that really helped me was talking to the PI (who is now my advisor) really frequently since they had an open door policy. it allowed them to make sure I wasn't spinning my wheels, helped me get my work done, and they're also happy to see that you're into what you're doing and actively thinking about how to do it. another nice aspect of this is that they'll get to know you more, which is great for getting high quality letters of recommendation or references and learning about more opportunities through conversation.

when you reach the point where you're in the groove just imagine going into grad-level research without going through all this first, that's why it's good to do this stuff.

>> No.7244800

If your mentor and your PI are doing their jobs right, then what you're expected to do is do your best to understand the project you're working on, not to produce shittons of data. To that end, never be afraid to ask questions.

Ideally, people give undergrads small, manageable projects that aren't too technically challenging. Your mentor should be talking to you about the things you're doing day to day, why you're doing them, and how the assays work. You're not expected to be an expert right out of the gate, and NOBODY gets a technique right on the first try. Ask lots of questions, take lots of notes. That's not to say someone's going to hold your hand and read papers for you and do your work or answer the same questions over and over, but if you genuinely need help, you should ask for it.

At the end of a stint in a research lab as an undergraduate, you should be able to give a brief elevator pitch of the lab's broad research goals off the top of your head, you should be able to explain the project you were working on, how that project relates to the broad research goal, how the information you gathered contributed to the lab's understanding about the research goal, and what needs to be done next in your project. Those aren't trivial things, but they're something that's well in the realm of possibility.

You're there to learn how the research process works and hopefully produce data, not because you're expected to be immediately able to generate publication quality data.

>> No.7244837
File: 49 KB, 448x500, 5106xYSNciL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7243997
>I just started working in a lab for the summer and realized that there's a hell of a lot to learn that I never learned in class

Welcome to real life

>> No.7244872

Anyone here ever done an internship at MagLab in USA?

I'm doing EE undergrad and plan on going to grad school for EMag, so I figure it'd be a ballin ass internship. Anyone know anything about it?

>> No.7244906

>>7243997
First week I couldn't even use a filter funnel properly. Ended up freaking out, putting the slurry on a plastic boat and melting it. Ended up tailing profs/grads asking dumb questions, wasn't until first week of summer internship I really felt competent. Weekly research during the semester is horseshit; full time labwork will put hair on your chest no time. Just perservere and don't be afraid to ask questions, or find answers yourself.