[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 37 KB, 282x356, 1Depression.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7238242 No.7238242 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/!

It is now 6:23 in the morning. I have spent the whole night contemplating existence with an upcoming final in 5 hours. After finally deciding to Google some of these reoccurring thoughts, I stumbled upon this thing called existential depression. I never knew there was a name for the feelings I experienced.

I want to know if any of you guys feel this way? Or have these feelings. Apparently they span death, meaninglessness, isolation, and freedom.

If you do is there anything you do to help yourself cope with all these thoughts?

>> No.7238245

Stop thinking about it. This will be easier once you mature a little more.

>> No.7238251

>>7238242
>upcoming final in 5 hours
It's really neither the time for an existential depression nor for 4chan

>> No.7238252

Don't try and categorize yourself with some kind of mental illness, that's just pointless. Its natural for you to have thoughts about existence etc...
Realize you can't understand everything and just do things you enjoy.

My main point is don't start searching Google for some kind of self diagnosed mental disorder as it's futile.

>> No.7238253

>>7238245
Its only getting worse and worse. Its really taking a toll on my psychological well being. I'll be walking to class on a gorgeous sunny day and then bam, I'm thinking about how everything I'm doing doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things

>> No.7238257

>>7238252
Its not necessarily me being able to understand everything. Its even recognizing my own accomplishments and if the life path I'm choosing is really what it should be, keeping and building relationships when deep down were all just primarily alone, and just so many.

>> No.7238259

>>7238251

I have to get a 45% on it to not get an A in the class. At this point I've committed to just staying up.

>> No.7238260

>>7238253
This is natural thoughts. Nothing matters in the grand scheme of things. The Universe will either become completely cold or implode on itself.

The fact that you exist in between eternal blackness means you should make the most of it.

>> No.7238262

>>7238253
If you haven't killed yourself yet, means you still have some will to keep going and do things even if they won't matter in the long run. Keep at it, get some rest and do your best on your exam.

>> No.7238264

>>7238242
OP. right there with you bud. Literally experiencing the same thing. Idk what to tell you.

http://personalityjunkie.com/05/intp-personal-growth/

>> No.7238282

>>7238253
>everything I'm doing doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things

You are currently at a platform. Your first step off will be embracing this exact sentiment. With this, you can construct your own system of values and live your life accordingly. In other words, take the notion that life is /inherently/ meaningless and derive meaning for yourself. If you can't find a blue pill, you have to make one.

>> No.7238285

>>7238242
>>7238253
Whenever you start feeling depressed at the knowledge that everything is probably void of meaning, take comfort in the fact that it doesn't matter how you ract to it. Feel free to go crazy. Or calm down. Both are perfectly fine options.

As a little cherry on top go ahead and remind yourself that you don't even have a definition of "meaning" to begin with and so trying to think about whether something exists or not that you can't even define is pointless.
Maybe there is meaning, maybe there isn't, but such matters are surely beyond you, so can you really even trust any of your thoughts on "meaning"?
and therefore there is no point in panicking. At least not until you figure out a definition for "meaning".

-These thoughts are the culmination of years of introspection by someone who often floated through life looking for anything to use as an anchor to reality

>> No.7238286

>>7238242
What has made you feel this way?
What meaning are you looking for?

>> No.7238405

>>7238260
>Implying God doesn't exist

>> No.7239156

I'm kind of the opposite. The more I realize how insignificant I am, the more I feel liberated and free.

>> No.7239189
File: 377 KB, 500x492, thed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7238242
Go OP! You can do it, my ultimate goal is to aid in efforts to make the lives of others better, that's why I went into Chemistry, oh and if that's not what you seek, there's always this...

>> No.7239244

So you're to the point where you've realized that things don't have any inherent meaning in any objective sense, but you've not yet made the step towards seeing that lacking meaning doesn't have to be a bad thing.

The sense that things should have meaning (ignoring the fact that you haven't defined what exactly this even is) is imposed by YOU, and if you stop imposing this requirement on the universe, it becomes a non-issue.

This is another way to think about things: >>7239156 There's no grand meaning or objective dictated to us, so we are in fact completely free. So free that it can be frightening and intimidating, and I think this is a part of the dread that can come from one's first existential crisis. We are so utterly free that it can be hard to know what to do. Deciding how to use our lives is entirely our own responsibility, we realize, and responsibility can be intimidating.

It doesn't need to be intimidating though, because there's no specific goal you must meet. You are free to set goals as big or small as you want, or even set none. It's all up to you and the only way to fail is to wallow in indecision because you lack the courage to accept your freedom.

>> No.7239361

Point of life is to live it.

>> No.7239381

I've heard the term "existential crisis" more often than "existential depression", I think crisis makes more sense.
I randomly found this webpage some day, pretty nice to just read around
>http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras2777/meaning/

>> No.7239789

>>7239361
You might as well just say that the point of life is the point of life

>> No.7240619

>>7238242
Try to understand, why do you need an objective meaning in order feel fine? why do you feel that what you do is worthless? is it that your ego is so big that you need to know that what you do is objectively better and meaningful than what everybody else is doing? search what the ultimate question might be, which will probably boil down to something about your ego.

>> No.7240744

>>7238242
Get a gf, get kids. Then you would need to work to earn money to support for your family and then you won't have so much time to contemplate life.

tl;dr: find ways to stay busy will distract the thoughts.

>> No.7240783

niklas is a faggot

>> No.7240790

>>7240783
Nah, he's kinda cool.

>> No.7240887
File: 75 KB, 640x610, yaGdjwL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The feeling will mellow after a year. You'll get used to it and realize distractions exist to make you forget this feeling for just long enough. Then you'll either live life in wait of the next distraction or kill yourself. But you're usually too lazy to kill yourself.

>> No.7240963

kill youself