[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 167 KB, 1280x800, cosmicinflation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7193026 No.7193026 [Reply] [Original]

does anyone else ever think so deeply about the concept of eternity that it gives them anxiety and almost a sick feeling? the idea that a trillion big bangs like this could have happened already and thats still nowhere near eternity. An effect will always need some kind of cause, no matter how I think of the idea, its very unsettling.

>> No.7193027

somehow the universe became aware (us) to ask these settling questions

>> No.7193030

>>7193026
those who are afraid of the eternity seem to lead a bad life. Personnaly, i am not afraid.

>> No.7193188

i've always felt a terrible feeling in my stomach when i think about all the time i didn't exist . like inbetween the big bang and my birth i wasn't identifiable as an independent thing, and my consciousness only came into being after billions of years of probability distributions clashing together. then when i die and decompose, i'll just revert back to that state for the rest of eternity, forever just a part of the stardust that had no thought and was at the whim of causality, from dirt, back to being in the sun when it consumes the earth as a giant, to being ejected as a supernova, to being stray particles flying through the void of space forever. i may as well think about it now while i still can.

>> No.7193212

>>7193026
>>7193188
LMAO what kind of faggotry is this? Do people like this actually exist?

>> No.7193215
File: 22 KB, 300x100, heres your reply.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7193212
calm the fuck down nigger and take your meds before posting.

>> No.7193223

>>7193215
Alright mate, alright. Didn't they give you meds for those tummy aches you keep getting eh?

Doesn't mummy come and rub your tummy for you when you start trying to think? Does she shave your neckbeard for you and bring you your cheese toasties and put on your favourite carl sagan documentary?

>> No.7193230

>>7193223
>being this butthurt
>projecting this hard

i can't tell whether i should fell sorry for you or laugh

>> No.7193286

what is the difference between eternity and infinity?

>> No.7193291

>>7193286
Infinity is a number, dumbass.

>> No.7193295

>>7193291
Infinity is a concept. It's not a number like 1 or 2.

>> No.7193296

>>7193295
3.2 is a concept. It's not a number like 1 or 2 either.

>> No.7193308

>>7193026
>deeply
>popsci
get off of /sci/ cancer faggot

>> No.7193326

>>7193291
>mad mad mad concept mad mad mad
fuck you

>> No.7193329

>>7193026

yes.

my software is too powerful for my hardware, so to speak. i mess myself up by thinking too much about particular subjects all the time.

"i wonder what'll happen if i spend the next six hours reading up on every single documented feral-confined child abuse case" = managed to induce shock symptoms, sudden body temperature drop, shaking, disorientation, the works

"i wonder what'll happen if i spend the next three days reading stories that are designed to mimic the thought patterns of people with stockholm-syndrome-induced psychosis" = temporarily ruined my short term memory, took a while to work back to rational thought

"i wonder what will happen if i research head lice for an hour" = phantom sensation of insects moving on my head and then my entire body for the next three

i don't mind being labile because if i want to feel a certain way, or be in a particular state in order to accomplish a task, all i have to do is find a good trigger.

when i was growing up it was a clusterfuck, though. i had no idea how to PREVENT these things from happening. adulthood is great.

>> No.7193335

>>7193308
you probably have some sort of science degree yet you come in /sci/ for what? impress uneducated plebs? fuck off you autistic fucking low life.

>> No.7193490

>>7193212
what kind of response is this? I dont understand how a topic like this can become so aggressive.

>> No.7193511

>>7193329
I think the mind blowing concept is the idea of eternity, in true eternity.. every possible combination of every possible configuration or out come has already happen an infinite amount of times. for example, lets say that the particles and energy needed to create you comes together every trillion trillion years or a after a few "big bangs" have happen (multiverse) but if we are talking about eternity, you will have existed an infinite amount of time .... everything has already happen an infinite amount of times.

>> No.7193602

>>7193511
Although this still doesn't answer the question... where did it all come from. the problem here, is that we humans are always thinking in "time" but time is just one small aspect of the whole picture that we are trapped in, we are stuck in it like a spiders web. personally I cannot comprehend the idea of "outside" time and space

>> No.7196144

>>7193188
im the same...
especially if im super high too.

though i think its equally as possible that when i lose this conciousness i will find myself in another one, not too far distant in time from the instant i die. obviously i wouldnt be aware of this fact, but the only time im gonna actually care if i dont exist is when i do exist so its not all bad.

>> No.7196154

>>7193602
I agree, and time is a property of this universe..
it doesnt make sense at all to think about things being possible, or happening at all, without time. yet even quantum mechanics isnt always affected by time. something in this universe.

its hard to maintain coherence when talking about this stuff too.

>> No.7196263

>>7193026
Depends, my definition of eternity is the single instantiation of everything out of the bounds of spacetime, including the universe.
Pretty much in a non-causal environment-everything is timeless

>> No.7196326

I dunno, once you get a grasp of how old and big and mysterious the universe is, you kind of have to surrender to it. Once you think practically about astronomical concepts you'll realize there isnt much to worry about and that in the long run we have no where to go but up.

And personally im thankful theres still a crapton we don't know. All that unknown shit is possibility.

>> No.7196571

>>7193212
Such an interesting thread and you had to do this? Well, to be honest I loled hard with the second post, but what the actual fuck.

>> No.7196598

>>7193296
Actually it is a number

>> No.7196602

>>7193026
Ya'll niggas need Jesus (or transhumanism)

>> No.7196604

>>7193296
You are literally retarded

>> No.7196609

>>7196598
Infinity can be a number as well.
I'd never say it was a number because extended reals are a shitty representation, but saying some stupid non-sense like "infinity is a concept" is pop-math bullshit
>>7196604
you are literally illiterate

>> No.7196637
File: 130 KB, 490x350, joyce490[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7193026
>Eternity! O, dread and dire word. Eternity! What mind of man can understand it?... Try to imagine the awful meaning of this. You have often seen the sand on the seashore. How fine are its tiny grains! And how many of those tiny little grains go to make up the small handful which a child grasps in its play. Now imagine a mountain of that sand, a million miles high, reaching from the earth to the farthest heavens, and a million miles broad, extending to remotest space, and a million miles in thickness; and imagine such an enormous mass of countless particles of sand multiplied as often as there are leaves in the forest, drops of water in the mighty ocean, feathers on birds, scales on fish, hairs on animals, atoms in the vast expanse of the air: and imagine that at the end of every million years a little bird came to that mountain and carried away in its beak a tiny grain of that sand. How many millions upon millions of centuries would pass before that bird had carried away even a square foot of that mountain, how many eons upon eons of ages before it had carried away all? Yet at the end of that immense stretch of time not even one instant of eternity could be said to have ended. At the end of all those billions and trillions of years eternity would have scarcely begun. And if that mountain rose again after it had been all carried away, and if the bird came again and carried it all away again grain by grain, and if it so rose and sank as many times as there are stars in the sky, atoms in the air, drops of water in the sea, leaves on the trees, feathers upon birds, scales upon fish, hairs upon animals, at the end of all those innumerable risings and sinkings of that immeasurably vast mountain not one single instant of eternity could be said to have ended; even then, at the end of such a period, after that eon of time the mere thought of which makes our very brain reel dizzily, eternity would scarcely have begun.

>> No.7196646

>>7196609

infinity is a concept. It doesn't appear anywhere, nor has it ever been sighted, measured or proven to exist.

The only way infinity is used is as a limit and the limit is an approximation that is equivalent in the case of the thing going on into infinity. Which is an invented concept.

>> No.7196649

>>7196646
there is an infinity of numbers between 1 and 2 so if I count "1... 2" then I've just counted infinity. Likewise infinity exists in nature anywhere there is a finite increase in quantity.

>> No.7196654

>>7196609
>this much autism

>> No.7196689

>>7193329
nigga go see a doctor

>> No.7196695

>>7196649
>counting integers is the same as counting all the real numbers between those integers

No.

>> No.7196698

>>7196571
this thread is only interesting if you are into spergs and samefags jacking eachother off, while failing to give the impression that they are "deep".

>but what IS eternity?
>sometimes I fall into a coma trying to think about it!

>> No.7196707

>>7196649
>infinity exists in nature anywhere there is a finite increase in quantity.
explain what you mean

>> No.7196729

>>7196326
>old and big and mysterious the universe

14 billion years is equal to zero when compared to infinity.

>> No.7196736

>>7193296
Are you actually trolling or just a preschooler?

>> No.7196738

>>7193286
Eternity is an infinite measure of time.