[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 32 KB, 633x758, 1428946894003.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7191661 No.7191661 [Reply] [Original]

I'm at the end of my engineering degree. When I was at school I got the best grades in my school year. I got As on maths and the three sciences (UKfag). The world was my oyster. But I put no thought in to both my uni choice (just picked my home town one) or subject choice ("hurrdurr engineering is just maths + science, right?").

My degree is 5 years long. Its all gone by in a blur. I remember finding it awful a few weeks in. I almost dropped out in my second year. After 3.5 years I had basically had enough. I barely revised for my middle of the year exams but I did well because of my work in the term.

After the that was my bachelor's thesis. I think I did close to nothing for about 2.5 to 3 months and then wrote any old shit in a short space of time. My degree was frankly too easy before that. It felt completely unprepared for doing research level stuff. To add insult to dumbness, my topic was within a theoretical area where all the papers are by physicists! It really underlines the pointlessness of engineering degrees. Neither the rigour of physics or the practicality of computer science. It was at this time that I realised that my brain was hollow shit and I would never amount to anything academically.

>> No.7191664
File: 20 KB, 638x547, QYPlmPQ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And don't say stuff like "you should've taken xyz courses". This is the UK where you pick your subject as a dumb 17 year old. You have to trust universities / teachers to give you good advice...But obviously nobody tells you the hard truths, such as: places like Oxford / imperial / UCL have curricula that have ten times more packed in to them compared to lower ranked unis.

I initially disliked the clueless dilettante naivety of the babies on /sci/ but what I see in real life is more demoralising. On sci you get clueless 15 year olds asking dumb questions about maths or physics. In real life you realise that people consider it worthwhile to spend their time in university learning about engineering shit like choosing pipes with good wall thicknesses. 4-5 years of this shit just for engineering jobs! Holy fuck, I would gladly choose pointless shit over this. I now have more respect for arts students than engineering students. I now feel happy reading the dumb questions on sci.

I think I've lost all respect for almost all " education". Engineering degrees are not worthwhile. If you give someone a non-rigorous education all you're doing is reducing their future options. A physics student could do any type of engineering research but an engineering student can't do vice versa.

There is definitely no dignity in education for employment's sake while having any pretence of academia.

>> No.7191682

>>7191664
Yeah but somebody has to know the correct thickness of pipes for specific jobs. An engineer is the intermediary between a proven theory and practical industrial every day application.
Applying what actually works in the world is exceptionally necessary though not very glamorous.

>> No.7191691
File: 28 KB, 380x428, flo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7191661
OP please don't be too upset, there's still time. Maybe you could teach yourself some Physics while you are pursuing your career. You're gonna make it OP and we can change the world if we try, academia isn't everything.

>> No.7191704

>>7191664

> engineering degrees are not worth while

Never thought I would hear those words in the same sentence. Is there any major whether STEM or humanities that will get you job directly as a result of that degree and not just a feather in the cap?

I know you mentioned physics as a good major but I hear more and more horror stories about students coming off of school jobless and in debt. And then I hear stories of people in trade hating their life.

I know the old saying the grass is always greener on the other side. But christ is anyone happy and fulfilled with their life these days?

>> No.7193272

>>7191661
>Neither the rigour of physics or the practicality of computer science
I didn't know you could engineer airplanes and tanks with a comp sci degree

>> No.7193301
File: 52 KB, 411x510, 1410934794550.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7191704
I'm not happy with my life. Similar sort of position to OP, did well in high school, topped science and math classes. Started uni in engineering, realised I just couldn't stand it. Grades tanked because I just stopped going to classes all together. Dropped engineering and got into comp sci.

At this point I'm just doing it, the grind is gonna be crap no matter what I do. What went wrong? Sometimes you just feel pretty down about everything, oh well.

>> No.7193334
File: 80 KB, 500x423, 1428368993058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7191664
>ears of this shit just for engineering jobs

this is what i've always been worried about. i mean i want to get a job and sustain a living, but at the expense of having to do something you might find innocous? i mean the point of university is that you have the opportunity to study something great AND get a career path out of it. if you do something you hate for 5 years you have to be insane, and then you're in that job locked in it for life when you leave.

i'm gonna be going to university in the fall and i'm worried about what program to pick. i love math and physics, but i keep getting told to go into engineering for job prospects. i just want to handle the more abstract stuff of group theory, topology, and so forth, with physics to sort of line it up alongside various understandings of quantum field theory, and maybe computer science. to make it all work out.

what are the job prospects for a math/CS dual major? also, what's their level of intelligence against just math?

>> No.7193336

You made this thread before. Not with these exact words, but nonetheless.

You also got BTFO.

Why are you back?

>inb4 it's a different guy

Says the same exact shit.

>> No.7193338

>>7193334
>also, what's their level of intelligence against just math?

You insecure shmuck, stop picking majors based on what lets you feel the most smug.

>> No.7193340

>>7191661
You should have changed once you realized you don't like it. A lot of people try out 2-3 subjects here before actually making their degree.

>> No.7193342

>>7193338
>stop picking majors based on what lets you feel the most smug.
What the fuck is wrong with you?

>> No.7193344

>>7191664
>A physics student could do any type of engineering research

Most engineers don't go into the field for research. Engineering is a field where people go to get a job.

A physics student certainly couldn't do an engineering job, because it's too specialized but also because they lack the qualifications.

That said, if you do get an Engineering PhD your research can largely overlap with that of Physics PhD's, from what I've heard.

>> No.7193346

>>7193342

Do elaborate.

>> No.7193367

>Being THIS much of an exam baby, whining fucktard

My undergrad research was also in a highly theoretical field and you know what I did? I got published in the same journal as all those Physics papers I was reading.

You're literally blaming your peraonal failures on a curriculum.

Autists like you aren't meant for engineering. Undergrad engineering courses are meant to introduce you to a topic that you need to develop your own skills in full time, there isn't enough daylight to cover and examine all that material in depth in 4 years which is you learn the basics and you do an opem design problem to make sure you aren't a retard before you leave.

No one ever said you'd be succesful just because you studied a course outline and got good grades. This isn't high school or some shitty general education degree like Physics.

>> No.7193384

>>7193336
Yes, apparently this faggot OP (who is probably a physics major at a shitty school) isn't going to leave.

I think from now on everyone should just ignore these threads and the OP pic should be time stamped with an actual engineering degree.

>> No.7193482

OP here. I heard about people in my year having interviews for graduate positions on site at power plant type places. These are sometimes places far from major cities.

It really makes me lol that companies advertise working / living in the middle of nowhere as if its an advantage of the job.

>> No.7193491

Hopefully going to study physics at KCL this year (because it's frankly the best situated uni in the world IMHO)
Looks as if it will be great. I grew up in Cambridge and the town is boring as such and hated Oxford when I visited so I never applied to Oxbridge. Imperial is full of boring sods too and it felt dead when I visited.
UCL was cool but it was full of public sci tossers and I didn't feel like it was situated as nicely.
Sorry your uni experience was bad .... Out of curiosity, where did you go???

What's the SCI consensus on king's college London?

>> No.7193495

>>7193367
You are a fucking spastic

>> No.7193499

^meant to say public school, not sci.
Getting used to me phone keyboard.

>> No.7193522

>>7193301
You were probably an arrogant little shit because you thought being good at something in high school meant you were somehow a special snowflake who didn't have to work hard to do well.
You probably chose engineering not because you were interested in it but because you thought it would be an easy degree leading to easy money.