[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 71 KB, 1181x1181, oxford.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7184597 No.7184597 [Reply] [Original]

What's up /sci/

What are the best resources available for someone starting uni next year to study things like stem cell research and cellular, tissue, organ engineering? I'm talking books, lectures, you name it. I've tried reading scientific papers from journals like Nature or Cell but I have to look up every 3rd word in a scientific dictionary... is that the only way? I know a lot from high school biology/chemistry and some extra, so I'm not looking for really basic introductory texts, maybe something intermediate level.

Second of all, what would you say are the best options for me to get internships/jump into research as soon as possible in the UK (also acceptable: rest of EU or USA)? I'm starting Biochemistry next year at pic related and I'd really love to start working on stem cells/organ engineering research as soon as possible. I realise I'm gonna need to get a PhD, years of experience and everything but I'm looking for opportunities to get experience, get connected, etc. Stem cells + organ engineering is basically the future of medicine and this is something really cool that I'd like to work on.

>> No.7184778

Bump. Any ideas?

>> No.7184786

>>7184597
>tarting uni next year
Why don't you try passing your intro courses first?

>> No.7184802

>>7184786

Don't you have any good books to recommend instead of being condescending?

>> No.7184810

>>7184802
Read the sticky.

You don't understand Nature articles yet because you haven't taken intro Biochem, why would I recommend you advanced textbooks when introductory textbooks will have better further reading references anyway?

As for internships, again focus on your intro course grades, no one can use you yet and the only hope you have of getting internships in undergrad is being one of the best in the class and asking your professors if they have research spots available or know about industry research spots he could recommend you to.

>> No.7184824

>>7184810

Thank you.