[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 485x428, 1411821815126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7178517 No.7178517 [Reply] [Original]

I want to study math but need to know where to begin, plus I have a few questions.

In the sticky I am linked to

https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/mathematics

There is a list named 'Courses'

Elementary Mathematics
Arithmetic
Algebra
Geometry
Trigonometry
Precalculus
Calculus
I - Single variable, limits and differentiation
II - Single variable, integration techniques
III - Multivariable
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Analytic Geometry
Differential Geometry
Topology

Is this the order of how I should study mathematics? I want to build up my knowledge of mathematics up to that of an undergraduate mathematics student

2. I got a whole collection of math books, and I notice a lot of links to books, do I read all of them or just one of them for each topic?

3. How do I know I can progress to the next?

4. How good is Khan Academy?

Thank you

>> No.7178595

>>7178517

help me out guys

>> No.7178607

>>7178517
yes

>> No.7178609
File: 998 KB, 500x700, nah.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7178595

1. Take algebra first
2. Practice
3. Move on to more difficult problems
4. Learn how to solve them

>> No.7178626

>>7178517

>up to that of an undergraduate mathematics student

>Guys how do I read books?
>Yeah, but, like, how do I know when I'm finished with a book?

>Khan Academy

Classic.

Jesus OP. Just open a fucking book. If you don't understand something or don't like it try another until you've exhausted that topic or reached the level you want. It's not hard.

>> No.7178628

>>7178517
Check out /sci/'s recommended reading list, starting with very basic arithmetic, speed mathematics and work your way up to analysis, most of the books can be found as PDFs online others you might have to buy, I personally don't like khan academy just because it is too slow and I prefer to go at my own pace, but if it works it works. Also always test yourself or find resources online that test you on the topic you just covered (i.e find algebra tests when you finish algebra) although the books in the recommended reading list have their own tests and they're a GREAT learning resources, if you do good on those tests and you feel ready (don't lie to yourself) move onto the next topic, if you move on and you come across something you've never encountered, go back and retry. Don't be lazy and stick to it, best of luck OP.

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations