[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 43 KB, 1019x471, galaxy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7174250 No.7174250 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone fucking explain to me (cus I'm a complete retard) what would happen if you went "down" or "up" in space?

Yes, I fucking know there is no "down" or "up" in space, You know what I mean. I've been googling this shit for like 2 hours now and all I can find is a bunch of fucking top tier autists arguing about the definitions of the word "up and down"

Why are all the planets on the same plane? What would happen if you continiously went downwards or upwards? Why are there no planets or galaxies "above" us?

>> No.7174254

>>7174250
>what would happen if you went "down" or "up" in space?
nothing.

>Why are all the planets on the same plane?
conservation of angular momentum, since the solar system was formed as a spinning disc of dust.

>Why are there no planets or galaxies "above" us?
there are

>> No.7174255

>>7174250
Gravity and angular momentum cause the original cloud of gas and debris to gradually flatten out into a disc. Planets form and suck in most of the matter as they grow, but they keep their orbits in the plane of this disc thanks to conservation of angular momentum. For the most part (see pluto, which most likely was hit by a massive object at some time).

>> No.7174256

>>7174254
>nothing.

What do you mean, nothing? Is there an eventually "ceiling"? what would happen if you were immortal and just kept going up for all of eternity?

>conservation of angular momentum, since the solar system was formed as a spinning disc of dust.
Then why arell literally ALL galaxies the same? why are ALL galaxies in as singular plane?

>there are

Are there?

>> No.7174257

>>7174250
>Why are there no planets or galaxies "above" us?

There are galaxies in every direction, anon.

>> No.7174259

>>7174256
All galaxies do not lie in a single cosmic plane, nor are all galaxies the same. There are plenty of elliptic galaxies, even tho flattened discs seem to be the popular way to go.

>> No.7174260

>>7174257
But why aren't there any visible planets/galaxies directly above us?

>> No.7174264

>>7174260
Stop conflating the issue.

The question about planets was answered, multiple times.

The question about galaxies was as well, you are incorrect in your assumption that there are none above or below our stellar plane.

>> No.7174266
File: 464 KB, 500x338, 1404686312969.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7174264
But what would happen if you just kept going up or down? would you eventually have to stop?

>> No.7174274

>>7174256
>Is there an eventually "ceiling"?
what makes you think space in bounded in that particular direction? there is nothing special about 'up', just that it is normal to our system's plane.

>Then why arell literally ALL galaxies the same?
They aren't. As far as we can tell they don't have a preferred direction.

>> No.7174275

>>7174266
The universe goes on forever, as far as anybody can tell. There is no edge, and if there were, it would be physically impossible for us to detect it, thanks to the speed of light we can only see about as far away as the universe is old, but the universe is constantly expanding, everywhere.

So if there were an edge, which is not supported by theory, then the light of this area would never reach our eyes.

>> No.7174279
File: 34 KB, 550x550, 5654654555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7174275
>>7174274

thanks guys.

Any recommended reading/watching to get more info about our universe? (I'm shit at maths and physics though, so if you're going to suggest some deep shit then you might as well suggest how I go about learning maths and physics)

>> No.7174283

>>7174279
just google 'online documentary' and browse the science sections.

>> No.7174289
File: 242 KB, 650x650, tumblr_lc9jxg3DVw1qzlfumo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You turn into a wizard and earn a fucking life with every 500xp you collect.

SPACE WIZARD MOUTHAFUCKER

>> No.7174301

>>7174279
just turn on the sci channel on TV when its not showing how its made or le outrageous youtube videos of le science
itll be some stupid michio kaku or neil "smoke degrasse" tyson

>> No.7174517

>>7174250
>Why are all planets on the same plane?

Well, the reason our solar system is on the same plane is that it all formed from the same spinning cloud of gas. This naturally results in a "disk" shape, because of the way orbits work - the same process is the reason Saturn's rings are all in the same plane. This plane is called the "ecliptic"

However, our own ecliptic plane is totally just a thing of our own solar system; while other things have an ecliptic, it doesn't match ours. The plane of the solar system does not line up with the galactic plane, and while galaxies have their own planes they're scattered fairly randomly.

There are no planets "above" the Solar ecliptic because that's the way planets form. There are, however, totally galaxies "above" us, because their formation has nothing whatsoever to do with the way our solar system formed.

>What would happen if you went continuously upwards or downwards?

Same thing if you went continuously in any direction; the directions perpendicular to our ecliptic aren't "special" in any way. You'd keep going pretty much forever and you'd have a rare chance of hitting something.

>> No.7174562

>>7174275
Well, if you accept that the Big Bang started as a singularity and then expanded, then the universe does have a finite size. It's pretty irrelevant though because the universe expands so fast that you couldn't keep up with it even if you were traveling at the speed of light.

>> No.7174681

If you spent long enough in zero gravity, would you lose all sense of up and down?

>> No.7175138

>>7174279
https://youtu.be/tmNXKqeUtJM
Talks about your question in a quick manner (it's not really for learning physics, it just addresses your question).

For more actual learning, an intro astronomy book shouldn't require too much out you, I took an intro astronomy course at uni back in my freshman year, and all I knew was highschool math.

Take a look at frank shu's The Physical Universe Introductory Astronomy.

Lastly, watch the lectures at:
http://theoreticalminimum.com/

Those are real good and are made for people who don't know a lot of math (again just basic HS math)
They do have stuff in cosmology as well as other areas of physics.

Anything deeper than these courses will require you learn the math (calc I,II,III, Linear Algebra, Diff. Eq, that's what you'll need, anything else you pick up while reading the books for what you want).

>> No.7175168

>>7175138
>(it's not really for learning physics, it just addresses your question)
I mean he does explain the concepts in a nice way, but it's obviously not a lecture

>> No.7176197

>>7174289
False.

God has to King you

>> No.7176201

>>7174681
depemds on your surroundings

>> No.7176245

>>7174279
Cosmos. The one with Carl Sagan. Also, Nova is pretty good sometimes.

>> No.7178221
File: 45 KB, 640x360, andromeda galaxy if it were brighter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7174260
Because they aren't bright enough for you to see them. That, and light pollution makes it so all so see are a few thousand stars every night. There are galaxies all around us, we just can't see them.

>> No.7178237

The space is kinda a sphere it ends where the light haven't reached .

if you go only in one direction you cant go out because you can't move faster than light and that is how univerese is expanding.

If you want to make one place be up and other place down you only need to make some references point.

>> No.7178970

>>7174250
From the galactic plane,galactic north (up),south (down),towards the star starward or starboard,away from star , port.

>> No.7179997

>>7174274
> As far as we can tell they don't have a preferred direction.

7% more galaxies rotate the other way around as ours. This could imply a slight rotation at big bang. Therefore an axis to universe (and "up" and "down").

http://www.universetoday.com/87488/are-the-galaxies-in-our-universe-more-right-handed-or-left-handed/

Also there are doubts of uniform expansion of universe.

http://www.universetoday.com/19509/the-universe-is-not-expanding-uniformly/

>> No.7182170

>>7174301
how its made is the bomb dot com
I can watch that show for hours

>> No.7182213
File: 838 KB, 1600x1600, Hubble_Ultra_Deep_Field_NICMOS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How has this not been posted yet?!

OP - look at this image. Note the thousands of galaxies. Note that some are oriented so we see their edge. Note that some we see their plane. Note that there is no discernable "standard" orientation for these galaxies.

Now go look up Irregular and Elliptical galaxies and see that ALL galaxies are NOT the same.

Finally, go look up the orbit of Pluto, of various comets, and the Oort Cloud, and realize the farther out you go, the easier it is for an object to travel outside the orbital plane.

>> No.7182231
File: 240 KB, 720x260, CZBI0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well more often then not, the other planets are more "above" or "below" us in reference to the galactic plane. Our universe is tilted at a roughly 63 degree angle to the galactic plane, so while not perfectly "above or below" us, they are more so than next to us.

And outside our galaxy, there are certainly galaxies above and below us in reference to our galactic plane.