[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 792x612, pendlm5d.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7166172 No.7166172 [Reply] [Original]

[blog]
A few years ago, I sucked at math; just like every other joe. But after I started learning programming (I started with C, moved to C++) I noticed that it became easier for me to understand mathematical concepts and use them like a tool. Since then my math-skills improved exponentially.

However, today, after writing a big math-exam I noticed that my math skills still aren't good enough to satisfy my ambitions.
[/blog]

That being said, I want to improve and sharpen my math-skills the way I improved them in the first place: by learning a programming language and solving mathematical problems with it.

By "math-skills" I mean:

>Calculus
>Algebra
>Arithmetik
>Statistic
>Vector Algebra/Calculus

Which is the best language for this?
Haskell?
Sheme?
Python with SciPy stack? (I am used to matplotlib, that would be an easy intro for me)

Do you know some good ressources like books, journales or websites that teach math through programming?

tl;dr: ITT we find good ways to learn math through programming

>> No.7166189

bump

>> No.7166191

>>7166172
Python with sympy or Sage.

>> No.7166195

>>7166172
Math textbooks and classes

>> No.7166199

>>7166195

That would be the traditional way, yes.
But I am searching for a way to harden and specialize the way I allready had sucess with.

>> No.7166242

http://www.r-tutor.com/ seems pretty good for applied statistics (from absolute beginner to fairly advanced).

R (which is covered by GNU GPL) is definitely worth learning if you're actually interested in the math behind probabilistic/statistical algorithms (as opposed to writing optimized code that presumes you already understand the underlying theory).