[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 456 KB, 697x473, uwotm8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7164282 No.7164282 [Reply] [Original]

>university isn't about learning
>it's about learning how to learn

Fuck you, if I wanted to read a textbook I'd buy one. I'm paying you, teach me.

>> No.7164296

>>7164282
You have to be over 18 to post here.

>> No.7164348

>>7164282
I'm 32 and I agree with OP. Why pay tuition if you have to learn from a textbook?

>> No.7164350

>>7164282
Except nobody ever said that.

>> No.7164377

>>7164350
3 of my professors have said that this year

>> No.7164379

>>7164282
>>7164348
You're paying tuition so you can write a test to get a degree that says you're legally allowed to work in the field, idiots, university has always been self study except for research advisers who use undergrad labour to get more publications. I you can't even understand textbook material on your own you don't deserve a degree.

>> No.7164387

>>7164379
>calls us idiots
Dat sentence doe...

That viewpoint is destroying education.

Sophism is alive and well.

>> No.7164401

>>7164387
>destroying education.
Education was never good.

>> No.7164410

>>7164401
Skyrocketing tuition isn't helping.

Treating education as a business isn't helping.

>> No.7164420

>>7164410
>Skyrocketing tuition isn't helping.
I'm probably going to step on a few sensitive tows here, but honestly most people who get into say engineering have grades good enough to automatically get enough scholarships and subsidies for university to be cheaper than high-school. If you can't study on a scholarships that's a sure sign you don't belong there, don't let them milk you for tuition money.
>Treating education as a business isn't helping.
It's always been a business, and universities that rely on the state more are generally shittier than private universities, treating it more like a business has proven to be a good thing.

>> No.7164427

>>7164420
>tows
Your writing suggests that you haven't actually attended anywhere of note. In fact, I suspect your 5th grade teacher would be embarrassed with the errors you've made.

Treating education like a business is a systemic failure that slows human progress. It is disadvantageous to those that weren't born into money.

>> No.7164433

>>7164427
The w key is right next to the e faggot, learn to not sperg out over typos as if it has any meaning.

>> No.7164436

>>7164433
I was speaking mainly of your sentence structure, but go on.

>> No.7164438

>>7164427
>It is disadvantageous to those that weren't born into money.
Yeah and in the 18th century Charlie could get an advanced degree whenever he wanted right?

Like I said education was never good, it's getting better.

>> No.7164440

>>7164282
Enjoy your failures in life.

Every day that goes by where you don't learn something is a day you fall behind. You'd better be learning for the rest of your life or you will be a landscaper.

>hurr just pour knowledge into my head I'll be an independent adult later
I'd laugh but this is really sad and serious.

>> No.7164441

University isn't about learning.

It isn't about learning how to learn. That would still be about learning.

It's about getting a certificate that, at some point during your life, you met a certain minimum threshold of intelligence, had a certain minimum amount of connections, showed up on time and did what you were told for a certain number of years, and accepted a certain burden of debt.

Basically, it's a makework job you pay for, as an elaborate show of submission to the established order of things. It's how you prove you're going to conform and obey.

>> No.7164442

>>7164438
>18th century
I like that you jump back to a time before public education was widespread.

>> No.7164445

>>7164441
>It's how you prove you're going to conform and obey.
It disturbs me that this is the truth.

>> No.7164450

>>7164420
That first point isn't true in the UK best scholarship I can get is three thousand tuition is 9 university isn't free unless you're poor

>> No.7164457

>>7164450
Get a company bursar
>but I don't want to study engineering!
Non-professional degrees have always been a luxury for rich people, there's no reason to study it if you don't get a career out of it anyway.

>> No.7164462

>>7164445
How is it in any way surprising? We don't want stupid hippie freethinkertards to piss away our research funds or fuck up our bridges. Obviously we want to instill a certain amount of professionalism, humility and dignity into our graduates.

>> No.7164464

>>7164441
>It's about getting a certificate that, at some point during your life, you met a certain minimum threshold of intelligence, had a certain minimum amount of connections, showed up on time and did what you were told for a certain number of years, and accepted a certain burden of debt.
typical cynical holden caulfield crap

You should listen to the advice Holden got. He was smart enough to question, but not smart enough to understand the answer, and he was told
>This fall I think you're riding for—it's a special kind of fall, a horrible kind. The man falling isn't permitted to feel or hear himself hit bottom. He just keeps falling and falling. The whole arrangement's designed for men who, at some time or other in their lives, were looking for something their own environment couldn't supply them with. Or they thought their own environment couldn't supply them with. So they gave up looking. They gave it up before they ever really even got started. You follow me?
You dig m8?

>> No.7164467

>>7164462
except when those stupid hippie freethinkertards are the ones teaching as apart of the system designed for conformity. Wouldn't you agree that our bridges and roads would improve eventually if education wasn't treated like a privilege for the rich and everyone was educated for the sake of learning and improvement?

>> No.7164471

>>7164464
>referencing "Catcher In The Rye"
>being a high-school student
>never reading a book on own initiative

>> No.7164473

>>7164471
I chose one that kid would be familiar with.

>> No.7164474

>>7164467
>except when those stupid hippie freethinkertards are the ones teaching
Wrong. Academics are the most conformists bureaucrats of all.

>Wouldn't you agree that our bridges and roads would improve eventually if education wasn't treated like a privilege for the rich and everyone was educated for the sake of learning and improvement?
No, rich people are usually smarter and for smart poor people there's things like full scholarships.

>everyone was educated for the sake of learning and improvement?
Everyone worthy of an education is fully capable of giving it to themselves, your don't need a university lecturer to hold your hand.

>> No.7164478

>>7164473
The last refuge of the desperate.

>> No.7164481
File: 16 KB, 416x236, 07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164478
He who smelt it dealt it.

>> No.7164486

>>7164474
>No, rich people are usually smarter and for smart poor people there's things like full scholarships.
What about the dumb poor people? Are you just ignoring that a majority of the world is poor and dumb? Improving education for everyone improves living conditions for everyone, if you say anything different you are retarded.

>> No.7164492

>>7164486
>What about the dumb poor people?
Fuck them.
>Are you just ignoring that a majority of the world is poor and dumb?
Are you suggesting we gas them?

>inb4 everyone is genetically capable of being an engineer or physicist
Yes, and Jesus was the son god.

>> No.7164495

>>7164474
>Everyone worthy of an education is fully capable of giving it to themselves, your don't need a university lecturer to hold your hand.
Good teachers will save you a tremendous amount of time and trouble.

And certification is something that's necessary.

The problem is that they bundle education with certification. Your teachers are not primarily there to help you learn, but to subject you to constant judgement and threat of rejection, destruction of your investment, and relegation to the lower classes, so you learn to live fearfully and in abject obedience.

Education and certification need to be separated. No certifying institution should be permitted to require consumption of its educational services in order to be tested and certified.

>> No.7164499

>>7164486
>Improving education for everyone improves living conditions for everyone
"Improving education" for most people would mean letting them out of the cage and getting them earning and accumulating job experience at 14.

>> No.7164501

>>7164492
You seem condescending enough to believe any child could understand calculus. Everyone can learn this shit if they have good EDUCTION. That's my point; you're claiming there isn't an education problem when there clearly is because there are still stupid people passing on stupid beliefs to the next generation. I'm not suggesting everyone is able to become an engineer or a physicist, but I am suggesting that having more people studying the field would bring about more understanding and possibly even a new way of understanding.

>>7164495
This

>> No.7164511

>>7164501
>You seem condescending enough to believe any child could understand calculus.
Yes, but see that's why your ideas stupid, because understanding calculus is absolutely useless on its own and most people will never use it.

This anon >>7164499 is perfectly correct.

One of the best educational systems in the world currently is Germany's were stupid people can focus on gaining meaningful practical experience and a useful trade job instead.

Having it your way would mean lowering the standards even lower than it already is.

>I am suggesting that having more people studying the field would bring about more understanding and possibly even a new way of understanding.
It wouldn't, stupid people don't contribute to anything.

We already have too many people "studying" and not enough people doing. Like how there's so many stupid people who are getting a Physics bachelors, but they never find employment in STEM because they have no real talent and never belonged there in the first place.

>> No.7164512

>>7164462
>implying those are all separate elements
You also sound like someone who got assblasted somewhere else.

>>7164492
>I ran out of gas
>derp derp derp be angry derp grr

>> No.7164519
File: 477 KB, 500x281, approximate knowledge.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164515
>the pace is so fast and workload so huge that one doesn't take the time to understand something and doesn't want to fill ones mind with non-exam relevant material

>> No.7164523

>>7164511
>It wouldn't, stupid people don't contribute to anything.
Do you know what education is? If done correctly there won't be stupid people you stupid person!

>> No.7164524
File: 239 KB, 1936x2592, tmp_23246-medial_-_iliac_crest1318433065234-467418463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"What is this anon?"

Points at area indicated at pic related, but with both halves.

"The pelvic girdle? The iliac crest?"

"Wrong anon! It's the pelvis."

>> No.7164528

>>7164523

Nurture can't completely counter nature, no matter how hard you egalitarian idealists try.

>> No.7164533

>>7164528
so let's just not try and selectively breed for the best physicists and engineers right?

>> No.7164539

>>7164523
Except most studies have shown smart people are almost always more autoditactic than guided by teachers.

Someone who can't educate himself won't benefit from a better education system, he is not genetically capable of succeeding and it would be far more efficient to train him in a labour/trade job.

>> No.7164551

>>7164533

Why not both, and then destroy the detritus of society before they rise up and destroy us out of jealousy?

>> No.7164554

>>7164539
>Someone who can't educate himself won't benefit from a better education system
Seriously are you reading your own posts? Someone who can't educate themselves are the ONLY PEOPLE that would benefit from a better education system. I think there are much more efficient ways to educate than weeding out the stupid people with retarded conformist structure and telling them their only option is to do a trade job.

>> No.7164561

>>7164554
No, you can't force someone to learn no matter how good your pedagogical approach is.

>> No.7164569

>>7164561
Maybe the problem with your thinking is that you're trying to forcing people to learn. I know you're still in high school, but in the real world people pay for their education and do it willingly. By making education more readily available and less like a business, people won't see it as a chore and a system based around self-improvement can thrive.

>> No.7164577

>>7164282
university is about proving that you aren't a brain dead dumbass. Then you get a job.

>> No.7164645

>>7164577
Almost cut myself on your edge

>> No.7164670

>>7164539

*autodidactic

>> No.7164684

>>7164523
>>7164539
>>7164528
All of you think you know the real answer to this question? You think you know the truth? These are just opinions

>> No.7164687

>>7164282
I already know how to learn. I'm paying for a magic piece of paper that says I'm smart.

>> No.7164730

>>7164684

I think that education can help someone maximize their personal intellectual capacity, but that's it. We all have an uppermost limit that we live never be able to exceed. Just like a Downie will never be an accomplished astrophysicist, some people are just fucked by birth. You can blame it on nutrition and upbringing in addition to a lack of proper education, but then that's just more issues to tackle and how do you propose we go about implementing these changes? And to what end? To give everyone a fighting chance at clawing their way to the top? So we can have learned janitors, garbage men and coal miners that could have navigated the stars if not for tough luck?

>> No.7164827

>>7164730
>but then that's just more issues to tackle and how do you propose we go about implementing these changes? And to what end?
Don't need to implement any changes to try to make everyone into astrophysicists. Just need to make sure people are not fucked by being born. You know you could crash your car through no fault of your own, so you buy insurance. And we know that people can be born fucked up through no fault of their own, so we have social insurance. Call it welfare, call it negative income tax, call it earned income credit, a rose by any other name would smell like insurance.

The problem is that some people would be happier if there were no compelled social insurance. You know the types. They also don't want to fund schools if they don't have kids, and so on and so forth. Frankly, people unconcerned with the public good should simply be shot and thrown to the pigs, so they can still provide some modest contribution to society.

At some level, it isn't about individuals, it's about the neighborhood, the city, the state, the nation, the species. And those who want no part of it can go fucking die.

>> No.7164849

>>7164823
>Frankly, people unconcerned with the public good should simply be shot and thrown to the pigs, so they can still provide some modest contribution to society.

I agree. I feel this way about the people at the top, middle and bottom of society though. Unfortunately, there is no group of people that seem to be concerned with the national welfare AND eliminating all the trash. You could also take this idea a step further, and in addition to eliminating people that refuse to contribute, you could eliminate people that can't by any means.

There was once such group that almost implemented such a masterful system, but they lost World War II. ;_;

>> No.7164853
File: 472 KB, 3096x1760, 03.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164849
>There was once such group that almost implemented such a masterful system, but they lost World War II. ;_;
it still stings ( ._.)

>> No.7164869

>>7164827
>Frankly, people unconcerned with the public good should simply be shot and thrown to the pigs, so they can still provide some modest contribution to society.
Careful the people you were describing seem to be all rich people; you know the type that feeds the rest of society and all your social NEET monies. You don't want to kill those.

>> No.7164876

>>7164427

>Look Mom! I'm straw manning!

>> No.7164877

>>7164869
Since when do rich people feed society? Where I come from, farmers are generally pretty poor. In fact, everyone who does all the actual work is relatively poor. The rich people are those whose great-great-grand-parents owned plantations and slaves and shit, who just fuck around all day and contribute nothing but funding for lobbyists to create a more complicated tax code, because god forbid they pay even the same percentage as everyone else.

I'm with that other guy. To the pigs with them.

>> No.7164881

>>7164877
Farmers don't feed society dumbass. Do you understand ANYTHING about economics?

Your like one of those college know it all hippies in South Park only more retarded. If the entire world consistent of farmers the land would be arid in 5 years and everyone would starve.

>> No.7164889

>>7164877
Don't you understand? A person and their property are one entity. The people who own Wal-Mart distribute like half of America's goods. They're some of the most incredibly productive people in the world. And neither negative externalities nor theoretical alternatives count. Without Bill Gates, most people would be sitting in front of computers that don't even boot up.

If you don't show some gratitude, Atlas is going to Shrug, and then you'll be a penniless peasant trying to pull a horse plow with your own shoulders.

>> No.7164902

>>7164889
>Without Bill Gates, most people would be sitting in front of computers that don't even boot up.

LOL....NO.

>> No.7164904

>>7164902
God /sci/ is getting stupider every goddamn day.

His post was obviously satirical, even if retarded.

>> No.7164906
File: 22 KB, 400x400, 1425789901967.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164889
>The people who own Wal-Mart distribute like half of America's goods. They're some of the most incredibly productive people in the world.

Are you serious?

>If you don't show some gratitude, Atlas is going to Shrug, and then you'll be a penniless peasant trying to pull a horse plow with your own shoulders.

Oh good, you're not. Atlas Shrugging would have a far more negative effect on the people with the most wealth, and would actually benefit the people at the bottom.

You do realize that the ultra-rich get more in handouts than the poor, right?

>> No.7164909

>>7164904
Everyone knows that anything of importance runs on a *NIX variant anyway. Bill Gates stole DOS from Kildall's CP/M too...

>> No.7164915

>>7164881
> this is what fat cats really believe

>> No.7164922
File: 23 KB, 536x402, 1427534557875.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Listen up faggots.

Let's say you have a micro economy consisting 1000 hard working farmers and loggers.

Farmers need fertilizer or the land turns arid.

So a Chemical Engineer comes along and designs and invests in a haber plant. Of course he needs support so he hires labourers, technicians, accountants, secretaries and salesman.

Once the plant is up and running the ChemE will be the richest in this micro economy, but he's also employing a lot of people. On top of that all the farmers are making more money and the total wealth of our micro economy increases. Sure you can put someone else in charge of the plant and hope the entire system doesn't break, but the same guy who built the plant is also likely to build something else to benefit the entire economy.

Now we introduce NEETs and other niggers into the economy who also steals shit from everyone. Everyone knows pays social benefits to these niggers. Supposedly the subsidized education helps the NEETniggers, but studies who they perform poorly relatively to the ChemE and accountant's children.

Now can you honestly tell me it would be objectively better for society to remove the MVP (based Chemical Engineer in case you missed it) instead of the NEET niggers? Everyone would lose out if you killed the ChemE, if you killed the NEETscum the only effect would be greater total averages and society would objectively be better.

Prove me wrong.

>> No.7164927
File: 35 KB, 395x598, 08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164889
>Without Bill Gates, most people would be sitting in front of computers that don't even boot up.
I have officially heard it all. Finally, I can retire from the internet.

>> No.7164929

>>7164282
That's the typical thing said to freshmen.

If the career is engineering related then this is said all the time (as there are people who only want to do technical stuff, just like tony stark XD)

>> No.7164937

>>7164922
> Everyone now* pays
>studies show* they

>> No.7164940
File: 77 KB, 437x400, obvious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164922
>implying we're at a time when the ultra-rich create anything
>implying that the ultra-rich don't just cannibalize smaller companies that innovate

>> No.7164941

kenny vs spenny

>> No.7164944

>>7164922
Dubs confirm it. NEETs can get cuckedfucked.

>> No.7164945

Just self study and CLEP all your courses.

>> No.7164950
File: 161 KB, 350x227, into-the-trash-it-goes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164940
Richest man in the world is a Civil Engineer who build his company from the ground up.

Your shitty, uninformed, pot smoking hippie opinion has been discarded.

>> No.7164951

>>7164944
double confirmed!!!!!!

>> No.7164953

>>7164945
>Just self study and CLEP all your courses
You can't clep everything. I know. I've tried.

>> No.7164955

>>7164944
>>7164922
I- what's even happening here?

>> No.7164959

>>7164953
I wish you could though, would be more fair.

>> No.7164966

>>7164922
>So a Chemical Engineer comes along and designs and invests in a haber plant. Of course he needs support so he hires labourers, technicians, accountants, secretaries and salesman.

So in other words, he was rich to begin with, which allows him to get even richer, in no proportion to any value he might add himself. In fact, the fact that he's a chemE is a red herring - his main role is Rich Investor, who could just as easily have hired a bunch of chemE's along with the accountants, etc. He is still mostly a parasite, who also happens to do some work.

A better situation would be if all those laborers, technicians, etc. pooled their resources and jointly invested, and shared the profits among themselves.

Meanwhile, the NEETs can have their pittance handouts, and maybe a few of them use their freedom to learn to be a chemE, to everyone's benefit.

>> No.7164972

>>7164966
>he was rich to begin with
No. He took out a loan from a bank and risked debt and ruin for his investment. He was trusted with the loan because of knowledge, experience and business plan that proved a good ROI.

This is how all Chemical Engineers start up which is why engineers are taught as much about drawing up a business plan as science.

>> No.7164976

>>7164966
>NEETs can have their pittance handouts, and maybe a few of them use their freedom to learn to be a chemE, to everyone's benefit.
Have you missed the part where they are NEET (as in NOT in EDUCATION) and would never be admitted into a ChemE program?

>> No.7165029

You pay for connections, lectures, and that damm piece of paper that says you're qualified and research opportunities. Education WILL never be free and it shouldn't. 7164442 is a fucking idiot, like wtf Sci. Like what another anoy said, it was always a business and it worked, why the fuck complain now? If you can't keep up then Get out.

>> No.7165040

Good schools teach you, bad schools rant for an hour and then tell you to read your shitty textbook.

>> No.7165774

>>7164410
It's shitty because this applies to everything, literally everything becomes a business as an adaption to money being the only thing anyone cares about.

>> No.7165790

>>7165029
But because of the internet I can access literally all of the information you're talking about in a few clicks and keystrokes instead of spending rigorous hours reading out of a book.

>> No.7165803
File: 111 KB, 1024x768, BjDQYXP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164853
>>7164849

>Thinking the Nazis were anything but a fascist nationalists and trying to mend it into anything remotely noble whatsoever

>> No.7165806

>>7164889
>If you don't show some gratitude, Atlas is going to Shrug

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ew ew ew get it away

>> No.7165809
File: 20 KB, 620x494, my-daughters-a-libertarian.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164955
>I- what's even happening here?

The usual.

>> No.7165814

>>7164827
I've wrestled with this idea plenty of times in my head before but the fact of the matter is, we NEED stupid people. Who else is going to fix my plumbing, or clean my house if I wanted or even required those medial jobs? Yes, there are robots, but technonlgy isn't at that point yet, so we'll have to wait on the genocide for now.

>> No.7165835

>>7165814
>stupid
>fixing pluming

bulshit you know how a toilet works, its fucking magic

>> No.7165858

>>7165029
>it was always a business
>>7164420
>It's always been a business

That's a big fuckin' nope.

For millennia, educational institutions were parts of churches and monasteries, and that goes universally for Western, Eastern, and African cultures. Church and state were one in the same until relatively recently, so education was originally entirely socialized by modern definitions of the word.

Tuition started in the late middle ages when some of institutions started opening themselves up to non-elites. But this wasn't out of so much any sense of liberal arts nobility but to help the integration of the wealthy merchants and loyalty and the church for the more sophisticated types of monarchist society at the time. The first semi-privatization was about cronyism.

In the late renaissance period, educational institutions (universities at this point) started opening their doors to anyone willing to pay, it was largely a pay wall (in the original sense of the word) to keep the lower classes out. This never REALLY ended in any structural sense (it evolved from a policy to more of a fact of life), but it was significantly heeled in the 20th century when industrialized nations started subsidizing secondary education.

Education subsidy has great payoff. It has one of the best fiscal multipliers out there, up with food stamps and refundable lump-sum tax rebates. It's too bad partisan politics kills it outside of wartime.

>> No.7165873

>>7164966
>better situation would be if all those laborers, technicians, etc. pooled their resources and jointly invested, and shared the profits among themselves.

Hahaha you're a fucking joke. Groupthink stifles innovation. You'd know this if you ever worked on a team in your life; a group needs a strong leader.

Cursory knowledge of game theory and basic common sense will show you that communism is unfeasible in the long term.

In b4
>libertarian neckbeard doesnt understand world
And other tumblr-tier shit

>> No.7165880

>>7165814
>we NEED stupid people. Who else is going to fix my plumbing, or clean my house if I wanted or even required those medial jobs?

You mean for unregulated capitalism to work. Then yes, you need a large portion of the population to have the limited mobility necessary to have a strong lower class, and keeping education inaccessible is one of the better ways to do that.

Luckily for you we already do this. Public education is largely funded by property tax. You're probably on the fortunate side of this.

>> No.7165883

>>7165814
robots?

>> No.7165906

>>7165873

Well, corporate welfare (I'm guessing you would prefer the term crony capitalism) already works this way, quite substantially. Lobbying, campaign financing, subsidies that flow upwards, anticompetitive legislation (I could go on) are all examples of indirectly pooled funds.

>Groupthink stifles innovation. You'd know this if you ever worked on a team in your life; a group needs a strong leader.

False dichotomy; the two aren't mutually exclusive. You're describing different problems. Don't conflate organizational incompetence with with poor resource management.

>communism is unfeasible

You're the only one who has brought communism up.

>> No.7165936

>>7165906
>You're the only one who has brought communism up

You literally advocated for workers to collectively own the means of production, share profits and decide by committee. That's straight from any Classical-Marxist text.

Keep up with the false equivalencies, though. Fucking idiotic American college kids and their romanticization of communism.

>> No.7165953

>>7165906
>I could go on.
Please do. Explain the subsidy system to /sci/. Cite reputable sources. I'll wait.

>> No.7165954

>>7164441
fucking nice man i am saving your words buddy this is so accurate it is irrefutable.

>> No.7165958

If you are studying physical science, you will need the lab experience

>but muh money

you can fund and practice with your own lab if you desire, but a single rotovap is tens of thousands of dollars so good fucking luck to you

>> No.7166002

>>7165936

I didn't, I'm not >>7164966

That said, there is quite a fucking big gap between joint venture and full communism.

>Keep up with the false equivalencies, though. Fucking idiotic American college kids and their romanticization of communism.

It's more your red scare paranoia jumping at the very mention of any type of cooperation.

>> No.7166009

>>7165958

You'll need some type of in-house experience with pretty much any degree. The DIY approach is rarely fucking useful in any STEM field. Don't let circlejerks fool you.

>> No.7166036

>>7164282
>3 year chemical engineering degree
>Required class called "Human interaction"
>300$ class
>100$ txt book
but its about the education anon not the $

>> No.7167137

>>7164282
>Fuck you, if I wanted to read a textbook I'd buy one. I'm paying you, teach me.
This is why you suck, because if you actually wanted to learn things you'd find a way.
Getting real tired of college being essentially a trade school for the debt-minded.

>> No.7167157

>>7166036

>believing any of that

>> No.7167163
File: 60 KB, 533x800, 63452175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7166036
>>100$ txt book
Where did you find such a cheap textbook?

>> No.7167168

>>7164922
>farmers need fertilizer or the land turns arid.
Just do field rotation, dumbass.

>> No.7167217

as someone who has a degree in economics

this is some fucking shit-tier posting that i'd expect from a group retards who haven't gotten past their intro courses in uni. holy shit, to all of you

>> No.7167734
File: 23 KB, 321x285, trash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7167217
>economics

>> No.7167765

>>7164420
I know quite a few STEM scholarships I was personally denied for being a white man. Grades don't mean anything anymore man.

>> No.7167922

>>7164524
I would have answered incorrectly as well.

>> No.7167932

>>7164282

Yeah, I don't think anyone says that, and if they do, fuck them.

>> No.7167937

>>7167217
>as someone who has a degree in economics
Right, so you know about as much of economics as the people ITT.

>> No.7168135

professors here are better then the books. you can learn a lot by asking questions.

>> No.7168286

>>7167765
Sure you did, Mr /pol/

>> No.7168930

>>7164501
>>7164495
Certifying institutions (engineers boards and whatever they're called) don't actually provide education services, like colleges and unis. So we already have that. So like, passing the education segment is the requirement for the accrediting institution and so the education segment became the accrediting mechanism; you can see how we're in this spot of trouble.

>> No.7168951

>>7164551
Out of envy*
fucking plebs

>> No.7168956
File: 1.77 MB, 250x250, 1427801534210.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7164282

I actually think people aren't natively able to think (reason) properly.

There is a course for that. Its called sentential and propositional logic.

As that course faded out in curriculums and Gender Studies blew up what you get is a population of educated people who hold some seriously retarded beliefs and can't figure out who is lying about anything, and has no confidence in science.

Not to mention poor overall educational attainment and intellectual ability.

It should be obvious- teach the kid to think, then give him material to chew on. But no- they think knowing how to reason is somehow commuted by the bullshit primary school experience. They think mathematics is logic.

What I think really caused formal logic to fall out of favor was the fact that political and religious belief- based on pure rhetoric- nearly never makes any logical sense.

You had the Philosophy department creating scientists and athiests who were coming over into the humanities, and refusing to believe all the garbage they were spewing.

Likewise, a smart kid able to reason would have serious problems with his parents's patent bullshit cultural baggage, cult/religious beliefs, and start questioning the ideals they hold dear.

Its pretty sad that, in this stage of time, most people hold irrational beliefs, think anything is a matter of opinion, and no one "really" knows the kinds of routine basic facts anyone in the sciences realizes.

Logic is learning how to separate the facts from the bullshit, the true from the not-true.

Once you have logic and reason, you can comprehend and know things. Otherwise, you're like most people, just straining to memorize a bunch of shit without anything but your feelings to guide you.

>> No.7170112

>>7168956
>people aren't natively able to think
"Thinking is skilled work. It is not true that we are naturally endowed with the ability to think clearly and logically – without learning how, or without practicing."
– Alfred Mander, "Logic for the Millions" (1947)

>> No.7171248

>>7164440
as if slogging through a system and a community where nobody appreciates you until you die is so much better.

>> No.7171671

90% is learning how to be a good goy, and the remaining 10% is something you might need at work.

>> No.7172332

Oh please. Rich people don't actually feed anyone, at most they help others organize, but I find that they receive a disproportionate amount for their work (i.e. a CEO that gets 1 million a year is definitely not doing the works of 100 people who get 10k because those 100 people would be able to on average do a much better job).

So don't kid yourself.

>> No.7172340

>>7172332
If you remove the CEO everything else falls apart.

>> No.7172585

>>7164877
/biz/ here.
They own the means of production and they are usually very good at either managing them themselves or hiring the people who manage them well. Rich people are usually very good at efficiently allocating capital, which is good, which is why they are still rich. Would you like if the Waltons told everything to go to shit, killed every single Walmart and then committed suicide? Just imagine the shit storm that would cause. Sure, you could nationalise it and keep the exact same personel and it would work, for a time. Nationalise enough companies and now you have a communist society. They have a pretty low success rate, you know.

Capitalist societies work because it's your fucking ass on the line if your company goes to shit and you make extra sure it won't. Running a state company for some arbitrary ideal of common good just doesn't work so well.

>rich people don't produce food
Who owns the farmland, the machines, the factory that makes those machines, packaging and processing? You know why we let them do that? Because it makes food order of magnitude cheaper. Cheap food is good, no?

>> No.7173315

>>7164282
Go to office hours.

Seems like most of the people willing to complain about how awful their professors are the ones not even trying to seek help. You are your only obstacle, if you are willing to learn you can find a way.

>> No.7173321

>>7164379
Mah nigga.