[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 133 KB, 480x297, main_4908466769_151b474c82_z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7078577 No.7078577 [Reply] [Original]

srsly /sci/, in the vastness of our universe, do we think we will ever leave.

Why, if we have spotted other planets that most likely have life from solar systems vastly far away from us, with the universe being projected to be hugely vaster than we could ever hope to imagine, do we think that we will ever faster FTL or have anything like that? Think about it.

here are the possibilities, I've thought of. Although my conjecture may be absolutely false, I do think this is basically what we will see

1)FTL exists

a) Either AI has taken over the role of another species in living and vastly prefers colonies of servers or whatever on cold planets, so even though they have FTL they generally avoid planets like us. (most likely)

b)A species is still in it's bodily form but generally had a better upbringing than humanity so they only colonize on planets that have no living creatures, they focused on science before wiping their own species out.

c)In the vastness of the universe, they have been colonizing shit tons of planets, in fact there may be infinite planets and infinite species yet they haven't and may never reach us (or maybe they will just shit tons of time from now(What I hope it is, because that means we are on track to being gods)

2)FTL does not exist (I hope this isn't true, but it might be)

At least there's pic related

>> No.7078629

I know, right?
The universe is so hugely vast, and yet speed of light is the limit, which is way slow proportionally speaking.
I don't know about FTL, but I'm pretty sure wormholes are a really feasible way of moving across the universe.

I also think that our first contact will be with an AI.

>> No.7078642

>>7078577
>the universe being projected to be hugely vaster than we could ever hope to imagine
That's not at all true.

>> No.7078653

I was having a serious discussion about this a few days ago with a friend and here's what we concluded;

The universe is ~13.8 billion years
The Earth is ~4.54 billion years.

So lets assume there could be hundreds of 'Earths' that existed 5 billion years before us with life such as ours. We've developed hugely in the past 200 years alone technologically and I am happy to say if FTL existed we would discover it within the next billion years.

Thus it is safe to say under these assumptions that many other 'Earths' will have reached this stage before us giving them billions of years to roam the galaxy so my hypothesis is this:

• FTL is not possible
OR
• There is no other life out there

>> No.7078667

>>7078653
Explain why these hypothesis are mutually exclusive

>> No.7078687

>>7078667
We were assuming that in the billion years of other life forms having FTL there would be evidence of them that we could see. I guess this could hinge into UFO territory here though

>> No.7078718

>>7078687
You're not understanding what he said.

There could be no other life AND that FTL is not possible.

>> No.7078737

>>7078667
which, ftl impossible or no other life? "or" isnt exclusive, you know.

>> No.7078738

>>7078718
Imagine how fucking crazy would it be if truly Earth was the only planet that had life on it. Now that is real madness.

>> No.7078741

>>7078738
religious folk would be pretty smug about it.

>> No.7078748

>>7078741
Well it would definitely imply a thing or two about the nature of life in the universe.

>> No.7078764

>>7078737
Thanks yeah this is what I was getting at. I program more than I speak/write English these days
I meant the logical OR as in either or both

>> No.7078772

>>7078764
>I program more than I speak/write English these days
That's... kind of sad.

>> No.7078783

>>7078772
I have autism so I find a strange simplicity to machines that's attractive. It maybe sad but it makes me happier than interacting on a human level. There's sense in numbers ;)

>> No.7078792

>>7078653
What if there is other life out there, but they're all just in their babby stages, and Earth is just the most advanced?

>> No.7078800

>>7078783
Are you really autistic? It's interesting that you seek socialization on 4chan... well, maybe not, I suppose it is a more comfortable outlet.

>> No.7078802

>>7078577
The problem with FTL is that C is the limit. Information cannot move faster than that. While there may be ways of moving something in such a way that it gets to a given place before light reaches that place, there is no way to make that thing move faster than light. Currently, C as the limit is mathematically and experimentally supported, and makes sense. I'm going to go with FTL does not exist, because science.

>> No.7078815

If FTL is possible then that means Einstein was wrong and we'd have to revise nearly every aspect of modern physics.

>> No.7078816
File: 246 KB, 585x307, tachyonsB.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Even if FTL is possible, it would take just as much bull shit to slow down from faster than C as it took to go past C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

Then you have to deal with the logistics of breaking causality and hope to Manhattan you didn't fry everything in the vicinity with radiation both along your path and where you stop.
Seriously, worm holes are better.

>> No.7078819

>>7078738
If one day there's solid evidence for us being the only life in the observable universe, I would probably convert to christianism or some shit.

>> No.7078831

>>7078687
>We were assuming that in the billion years of other life forms having FTL there would be evidence of them that we could see.
I disagree.
We should look harder for Dyson Spheres and other stellar structures.

>> No.7078837

>>7078816
Wormholes are proposed on the Planck scale (which is extremely small) and could only be traversed by holding them open with enough negative mass. So, we'd have to get them many orders of magnitude larger than seems possible, as well as using exotic matter to hold them open. This isn't even taking into account being able to direct them or create them at will. So I wouldn't say that wormholes are better, but I agree with the rest.

>> No.7078839

I'm sincerely hoping that the Simulation Theory is true, and that we can discover how to edit our own universe. Want to go to the Andromeda galaxy? Open up a terminal window and move ship from point A to point B.

>> No.7078840

>>7078577
this is the gayest thread ever

>> No.7078841

lolol im smrter than allu you

>> No.7078852

the fact that no1 respondedmeans i really am smrter than all uf you lololol

>> No.7079086

>>7078840
>>7078841
>>7078852
Why the fuck did you just ruin the thread?

>> No.7079090

>>7079086
OP ruined his own thread by talking about sci fi instead of science.

>> No.7079097

>>7078577
>in the vastness of our universe, do we think we will ever leave.
I envision that in some distant future, we develop a new understanding of "here" and "there", just as time is an illusion (but a persistent one) we figure out that elsewhere is the same as elsewhen and is perhaps less interesting than life and consciousness itself.

It's frustrating to the scientific minded, I know, to ponder the unmeasurable. Even Isaac Newton's era had to give way to Einstein's.

>> No.7079592

>>7078800
Yeah I have autism and rapid cycle bipolar. 4Chan works as a great way to converse with people with a diverse background and set of opinions. I find on most forums people all tend to agree on the same things and it's hard to discuss things critically.

>> No.7079606

>>7078831
An interesting opinion.
Thanks anon