[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 962 KB, 1851x1851, Autism1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7063410 No.7063410[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I have autism, ask me anything

>> No.7063412

Is it true that autists hate engineers because they're so mad jelly?

>> No.7063417

>>7063412
we hate engineers because they don't appreciate the beauty of math. They would rather brute force their way through a calculation instead of understanding it. next question

>> No.7063426

>>7063417
>beauty of math
math is a tool

>> No.7063427

What's it like having a disability that many idiots think is a superpower?

>> No.7063432

>>7063426
So is your mom, and here I am studying her beauty every night

>> No.7063433

How "deep" is your autism?

>> No.7063435

>>7063426

Ur a tool
>rekt

>> No.7063436

>>7063432
#rekt

>> No.7063442

"I have autism" doesn't mean anything. explain your autism spectrum disorder in detail, as well as the conclusions of your diagnosing mental healthcare practitioner. there are far, far too many possible disabilities to just say "autism" and leave it at that

I was diagnosed as having an asd too

>> No.7063445
File: 15 KB, 250x235, Autism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm autistic (high functioning), which means I'm simultaneously really smart, spotting patterns and recognizing problems that slip past most people, and really dumb, being unable to read between the lines. I've got a hell of a mind but I'm very literal and many things just don't occur to me.

That said, this thread is shit, OP is a fag, pic probably related.

>> No.7063446

>>7063433
as deep as your moms pussy

>> No.7063455

>>7063427
It's only a disability if you value social interaction.

>> No.7063464

>>7063455
autism =/= intelligence
it's literally mental retardation

>> No.7063469

>>7063464
It's literally social retardation. Other cognitive facilities are normal or above average in classic autism with no comorbidity.

>> No.7063475

>>7063469
>this is what spergs actually believe

>> No.7063476

>>7063475
I'm sorry that you are upset by truths and have to resort to personal attacks in lieu of providing rational arguments or simply remaining silent.

>> No.7063478

>>7063469
*faculties
if you're going to use big words in an attempt to sound smart, make sure to use them in accordance with their actual meanings.
Autism covers quite a few disorders, but it's not just "social retardation". Many varieties come with low intelligence but a knack for certain tasks (see: "idiot savant", related). Even those fortunate enough to be relatively high-functioning tend to be lacking in more than just social intelligence.

>>7063445 here BTW
OP is still a fag

>> No.7063479

>>7063455

that's not true. one can attribute no importance to social interaction but still be negatively impacted by the lack of it in certain ways. it's difficult to explain, but I'll do my best

social interaction is (almost) universally a desired thing. let's say you do not value it. you won't go out of your way to seek it out. your dislike of social interaction in and of itself alienates you from the rest of the human population, not by your not being socially active but by not valuing it as something worth seeking

people who are autistic can feel alienated even if they don't value social interaction. it can feel very intense, and the alienation can manifest as a sensation of not being human.I'm [>>7063442] and have spent years going to asd support groups and this sentiment appears frequently

>> No.7063485

>>7063478
>fa·cil·i·ty - noun - 2. an ability to do or learn something well and easily; a natural aptitude.

If you're going to correct people in an attempt to satisfy your superiority complex, make sure you're actually correct.

>> No.7063491

>>7063478
>Autism covers quite a few disorders
no

the autism spectrum covers quite a few disorders

autism is one of those disorders

>> No.7063493

>>7063485
don't think nobody notices that the definition you just quoted doesn't make fit in the original context.

you're not making it a proud day for the glorious banner of autism.

>> No.7063494

>be tired & bored at the same time
>go to /sci/ to relax a bit
>see this thread
>wish I had some more productive hobby, like masturbation.

>> No.7063500

>>7063469
Cognitive rigidity and behavioral stereotypy are defining features of autism and negatively affect intelligence.

>> No.7063501

>>7063493
>Other cognitive abilities to learn or do something well and easily are normal or above average
Fits perfectly well.

From your post:
>the definition you quoted doesn't make fit in the original context
>you quoted doesn't make fit in the original
>quoted doesn't make fit in
>doesn't make fit
Lol.

>> No.7063504

I am what's called a high functioning autist.
What this means is that I function on a higher level than you.
It's not too outrageous to say I am better than most people because of this, being able to understand concepts such as calculus that they could never even comprehend.
People laugh sometimes, saying they're laughing at me. I may be autistic but I still know that the truth is they're laughing at themselves for being so inferior.

>> No.7063505

>>7063469
The neural networks recruited for social information processing do other things too, retard.

>> No.7063507

>>7063504
>being able to understand concepts such as calculus that they could never even comprehend.
Calculus is completely intuitive and understanding it is in no way justification to feel superior.

>> No.7063510
File: 76 KB, 625x626, d5c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7063504
>being able to understand concepts such as calculus that they could never even comprehend
>such as calculus

>> No.7063512

>>7063505
>autism: the post

>> No.7063521

>>7063426
Agree. Mathematicians just don't understand the beauty of accomplishment and would rather *something something*

>> No.7063523

Autism is a buzzword and not a real diagnosis.

>> No.7063536

>>7063501
It's okay OP, people just hate autists and try to make them look bad at any opportunity instead of just having a reasonable discussion.

>> No.7063546

I have been diagnosed with autism with a "superior memory capacity", or whatever was said on the diagnostic report at my clinic. I can memorize hundreds of random objects in the correct order, if not thousands. Be they numbers, your ordinary objects, or other shit. It's just that it has to be visualized.

>> No.7063551

>>7063546
HEY KIDS
THE /SCI/ SAYS
>Nope you'rer just an retard

>> No.7063748

my girlfriend has autism. does that make you uncomfortable? does anyone here think I'm terrible for dating an autistic?

>> No.7063755

>>7063748

why would that make anyone uncomfortable? people with autism can have difficulty forming intimate relationships (although I don't know anything about her specific disabilities) so if anything, good for you and her

>> No.7063764

>tfw no qt autist gf

>> No.7063778

What are the job opportunities for autists like in academia?
My stream is mostly normies, so I'm wondering if teachers in fields like maths or physics are still often total sperglords or if the ability to teach is valued more than pure mathematical aptitude.

>> No.7063787

>>7063755
i don't know, some people sort of shamed me for it. i didn't actually really realise it at first. met her in linear algebra. weirdly, i'm much better at math than she is. she's much better at the application end of things.

>>7063764
its actually a huge pain in the ass anon. i mean yeah, qt autist. tons of adorable awkward moments, she's always apologizing for things. its actually really cute.

but its also such huge amount of work. dating an autistic person sort of means you have to accept tons of inconsistencies and be incredibly patient. sometimes there are days without contact and i just have to trust that she's ok. she got a lot better about it, but texts are almost always 1 word responses. small things like that.

being close to someone who doesn't really know what to do when they are trying to share emotion is weird. like she'll be incredibly professional acting out of nowhere. that means she wants to cuddle. like body language is all backwards or nonsensical. its there, it is just almost inhuman.

also she doesn't lie. like at all. about anything. like i'm not sure she knows how to.

>> No.7063790

>>7063455
Autists have tons of executive function deficits on top of the social disability, not to mention issues with sensory processing/maintaining gait/physical abnormalities.

>>7063469
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1994.tb01807.x/abstract;jsessionid=3C29A4C6B62E979A304944F2DFF753C4.f01t04

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1991.tb00351.x/abstract

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1998-07445-005

http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/4/951.short

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=2540200&fileId=S0954579400006027

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278262606000698

kek

>> No.7063793

>>7063764
I remember having an autist in one of my classes once.
She was a huge furry and told everybody she had tumours in her vagina or something.

>> No.7063794

>>7063778
i'm pretty sure its pretty much the same job opportunities as any accomplished academic. as long as they can lecture it is probably fine. i know some autistic people who have trouble in front of large groups, but i also know not autistic people who have the same anxiety. i don't really think autism inhibits a person as much as most people think.

>> No.7063797

>>7063787

doesn't sound that surprising to me, about the math. a relatively small portion of all the hundreds of people I've met at asd support groups demonstrate or talk about a strong mathematical competency above the average person. often when they do, it's simply because of excessive amounts of time devoted to practice and study rather than some innate understanding

I hesitate to even mention it on a 4chan board, but autistic women do have it easier than men when it comes to relationships on average I would say. very, very few men who behave in a way similar to your girlfriend find women who are as accepting or understanding of it as you are towards her. on the flip side, women who many cases exhibit tendencies more extreme than your gf have had multiple relationships. it's just the way of things

>> No.7063814

>>7063797
i suppose it also helps that she is short. somehow a 6 foot tall woman acting like this just seems so unsettling. she's 5'1" so somehow it is easier to get away with. also what is strange is her own self awareness about the condition. she understands why and how she acts how she does but also finds it impossible to act any other way. all i can think about is how cute it can be when she gets embarrassed about the simplest things. i could go on and on about how crazy it is to know an autistic person intimately.

i've also known several autistic guys. one close friend of mine described his experience as "forced learning on everything about being a person." he said that of his feelings and reactions in conversation were real and he felt them, but he had to learn how to do that. he is pretty much a normal-acting guy today. still his way of growing up was just very different.

>> No.7063820

>>7063797
Autists have this thing called perseveration which involves obsessive focus onto a signal task for insane amounts of time in lieu of other activities. This is where the symptom of "restricted/repetitive hobbies" comes from, it comes from neural deficit in task switching/setting.

Couple that with an inherent love of numbers common to math nerds and that's where the math competency comes from.

>> No.7063827

>>7063814
I find it really interesting to read, please go on. Tell me more about the quirky stuff your girlfriend does and the symptoms of her autism.

>> No.7063837

>>7063827
>lol so quirky and random
but actually sort of. like, you know the stupid bullshit where tweens pretend to act interesting by spouting inane bullshit? even if you don't, I do. my brothers are both that age and it is ridiculous. but when she does it is actually completely honest.
For example, we were taking a path home through the woods (we're at UC Santa Cruz, there are woodland paths from dorms to lecture halls. it is really cool.) and we were hopping across a creekbed right as the rain was starting. then she just sort of starts talking about a time travel idea she had. then this whole conversation comes up because her head just popped from one thing we were talking about to something entirely different. at first it was kind of annoying, but then you get used to just starting a new conversation mid sentence. and sometimes she'll talk to both conversations at the same time. it almost works out as a logic puzzle for me but she just sort of works in concurrency sometimes.
of course it also does some pretty serious harm too. For the math we do together, it takes me almost a half to 3/4 of the time it takes her. not because she isn't smart, she can always explain concepts and things. it is just that focus is selective.

being with her takes a huge amount of patients. like this week her mom was in town visiting, and she was acting like i already knew. and i said, no, you never told me. like, it was fine that her mom was in town, but the warning would have been nice. when she explained why she didn't say anything, she said it was because i could frequently guess what she was thinking anyway so it just slipped her mind, sort of assuming i already knew. as she was explaining this she realized retroactively that it made absolutely no sense at all and then proceeded to apologize and question herself. the whole thing was a bit of a show.

cont if anyone cares? ->

>> No.7063838

>>7063837
this is good shit, go on

>> No.7063854

>>7063838
also she reacts like a fucking 12 year old whenever we kiss. she gets so ridiculously excited she can barely sit. then i sort of wait around for a bit. then she calms down. i probably sound annoyed but in all honesty it is pretty cute.

this story is pretty good:
>anon you know how i'm short?
i'm over a foot taller than her
>no i hadn't noticed, this is news. wow. i thought you were taller than me
>yes well i am pretty short
>shocking discovery
>and i was thinking since you're a year older than me that you were into young girls
>yes i'm a lolicon what is new here
>so i was thinking you are a paedophile then i remembered i was 18
>astute observation
>so you can't be a paedophile you are just into short white girls which i forgot
>you sure thought this one out huh?
>yes well i was worried you were a pedo but youre not so sorry i thought that for a few seconds
>i'm incredibly offended and incredibly sarcastic
>ah, that's good to know.

a lot of our conversations actually carry on like this. she takes one idea way too far then cuts it off and just monologues the whole thing while i add commentary.

i would probably mind if she had nothing interesting to say, but it is usually at least funny if not insightful. she has some pretty interesting interpretations on multidimensional functions and their differentiations/integrals

she would be a huge pain in the ass if she wasn't interesting.

also for whatever reason no boyfriend before me (she had only dated one other guy really, another sort-of relationship in high school) had tried to have sex with her. she isn't really prudish about it, but it is very clear that she doesn't know jack shit. like, mechanically yes she has the concept but the process of fucking is just somehow not instinctive to her. that's definitely the weirdest part of our relationship. because of her small stature, thin build, etc. it feels exactly like being with the clueless lolis stereotypical to hentai.

>> No.7063855

>>7063854
I think i'm seeing a pattern here. I think I finally fucking understand autists. Go on if you have any more funny or intriguing examples.

>> No.7063858

>>7063854
This is fascinating, keep going

>> No.7063861

>>7063854
she sounds adorable. mind posting an innocent pic of her? pls anon

>> No.7063866

>>7063861
>pics of gf over the internet
ha you wish. trust me, she is cute though. the only pic i have is a selfie with her friend, her, and me. i don't really want to share my own face and i don't think she would take kindly to posting her face on 4chan. that shit is playing with fire.

>>7063855
>>7063858
yeah you get used to autistic people. it is basically another set of social norms you have to use. i've always been really good at reading face, tone, etc (anti autism? that's how she would describe it.) so communicating with autistic people was never too hard for me. also slipping into that over the top over-expressive tone autistic people get can be kind of fun. you do have to toss all self consciousness out the window to do it right though. forget you're a person almost.

there was the one time we ran into her ex, (he has aspergers) let me greentext that.

>> No.7063878

>>7063866
K- her ex
Q- the autistic as fuck qt
>walk into dining hall holding gf's hand
>gonna have a cute as fuck lunch
>gonna talk about vector spaces
>math gf is only gf worth having
>lanky ass dude walks up
>K:'Oh hi, Q, who is this? Someone I should know about?'
>Q:'Um... I...'
>Me:'I'm her boyfriend, who are you?'
>Q:'This is K... my ex boyfriend'
>K:'Oh may I sit?'
>he sits and she looks as flat faced as possible. no emotion, just staring at him
>K:'So, what was it, Anon? What do you do?'
>Me:'I'm an EE. I just do what I like. You?'
>K:'Oh you, you know, Politics and History. Graduating this spring.'
>thank god he won't be here long
>Me:'Congratulations, Q and I were just about to talk about this equivalence theorem from Linear Algebra. I don't know if you would really get this but you're free to read it.'
>I hand my notebook to him, page open to a many-part theorem proof
>he starts rambling about the beauty of math
>talks about how this is just like political statistics
>I look at Q, she looks really uncomfortable
>K gets really mad and starts talking about how all the shit from his past is under the bridge now
>is this guy actually trying to ask out my gf in front of me
>Q just looks really upset
>Me: 'yeah we're leaving now. right now. bye K. come on Q.'
>she gets up and rushes out with me

then we went on a walk through the woods near our dorms. apparently he's a huge /b/-tard. really into fetishistic gore and small children. he's exactly the kind of autistic fuck people talk about when they use autistic as an insult. it is weird obsessive dudes like him that give the condition a bad rap.

retrospectively, i know a lot of autistic people. what the hell do i attract them or something? autism magnet.

>> No.7063883

>>7063878
why does he get really mad? Is that one of those moments when they have inappropriate emotional reactions to the situations? I don't see why he'd get mad.

>> No.7063889

>>7063883
i think it is because he is really obsessed with her. the fact that i exist makes him mad. she said she broke up with him because she felt like his object. i would bet that he sees me as a thief somehow. the fact that he is also autistic just makes it that much worse. think normal abusive ex boyfriend, magnified by the inability to control feelings. that's my take on it anyway. mostly he's just a creepy fuck who lashes out at random intervals.

>> No.7063892

>>7063883
oh yeah a contrast with her ex, he lies a lot. he's very manipulative. where as she couldn't even guess how to manipulate. thats something interesting, i think. he is very insistent about it and also very bad at it.

>> No.7063893

>>7063889
Any more stories? Like something extremely weird which you couldn't understand?

I'm really enjoying these stories and trying to understand autists.

>> No.7063895

>>7063893
none are coming to mind, sorry. also i have a physics midterm tomorrow afternoon, so I have to go to sleep. thanks for listening anons, and i'm glad my life is actually interesting to some people. goodnight /sci/ i'll post here after my physics midterm with more stories if i have any and the thread is still up.