[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 211 KB, 900x790, 2012-02-23-artificial-womb[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7044841 No.7044841 [Reply] [Original]

Are you nerds fucking ready? Are you ready to have your very own son?
http://bioengineer.org/artificial-womb-born/

>> No.7044862

>>7044841
Have you tried talking to girls?

>> No.7044866

uh doesn't the mother provide a lot of immune resistance to her kid or something? this babies will be sickly as fuck.

>> No.7044867

>>7044862
but have you ?
maybe some day you'll realize that you might not find the right person to have a child with and raise them with.

>> No.7044885

From the article, quoting a paper by one of the researchers:
>”It goes without saying that the ideal situation for the immature fetus is growth within the normal environment of the maternal organism.”

No, it doesn't "go without saying" that what nature provides is "ideal". It goes without saying that it works well enough most of the time for the species to continue. That's what evolution gives us. That doesn't mean there's nothing to improve on.

>>7044866
You too, guy. Stop assuming nature always serves up the best of all possibles.

I think this step is inevitable. We want artificial wombs as lab tools to develop efficient factories for meat, milk, eggs, leather, wool, etc. and human artificial wombs will resolve much of the awkwardness of being a large-brained biped, which our species never really evolved an elegant solution to.

I think the number of people who prefer natural pregnancy is going to be pretty small, once this is developed to a mature stage.

>> No.7044896

>>7044885
um i not some hippy romanticizing the sacred connection between mother and fetus, i just think there are some legitimate technical issues here, same as the guy in the paper.

it's an interesting day when pop-sci futurists think they know better than the people actually working on the project.

>> No.7044901

>>7044885

I think they just meant that with regards to their own research, not all hypothetical artificial wombs in the future. I agree that a "good as natural" womb would be a huge boon for humankind, and we'll probably see that in our lifetimes. But not yet.

>> No.7044910

>>7044862
What for

>> No.7044921

>>7044896
>i just think there are some legitimate technical issues here
Not what you said. If you're talking about the so-called "artificial womb" that the article says exists, they're just keeping a premature goat kid briefly on life support before it dies.

Sickly babies are the least of their problems.

>same as the guy in the paper.
Not what he said.

>pop-sci futurists
That's quite a stupid assumption to make.

>think they know better than the people actually working on the project.
Hey, guess what? Most people actually working on such projects fail, because they don't understand the problem and never will. This project certainly hasn't accomplished anything of note. They're just durdling around with goat abortions and a heart-lung machine.

>> No.7044936

>>7044921
lmfao

>> No.7044998

>>7044862
>Have you tried talking to girls?
I am 35, talked and slept with girls.It's just a waste of time really.
Can't wait for the future where I can clone myself and connect all my clones into one neural hive mind. Then connect it to some spaceship with my mind and travel admiring all wonders of cosmos for eternity.