[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 58 KB, 400x270, schist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7036307 No.7036307 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any geologists here? What could one do with a geology degree that doesn't involve the petroleum industry?

>> No.7036323

>>7036307

The same thing that you would do if you were in the petroleum industry, just for other industries.

Like:
Work in a lab
Surveying

>> No.7036328

Be a consultant for mining, construction or research.

There's also immense opportunity in the other terrestrial bodies of our solar system.

>> No.7036329

terraforming

>> No.7036420

>>7036307
I do tons of work collaborating with archaeologists. Currently working on a lot of Native American Artifacts, soils in the Bahamas, and iron corrosion on shipwrecks.
If you are still in school, get some sort of GIS certificate or minor in GIS, that will open a lot of doors. Like >>7036328 said, immense opportunity in using those techniques to map other planets.

>> No.7036457

>>7036420
I'm an anthropology major right now (I know, fuck me, right?). I'm guessing a minor in geo would allow me to do a lot of what you do?

>> No.7036490

Geology major here. I plan on avoiding petroleum if at all possible.
I plan on pursuing Paleontology or survey. That being said, I second pursuing GIS. Such a valuable skill to boast when it comes to job hunting.

>> No.7036494

As an additional question to the geo majors in this thread, what minor do you pursue or would recommend pursuing.

>> No.7036497

you're out of luck pal, they already named all the minerals. (the introduction by my geology teacher)

though there's work for discovering deep reservoirs of minerals, mapping out the properties of soil (creating of a map of sandy/clay soils over an area, useful for agriculture kinda) and other types of measurements to make accurate 3d models of terrain landscapes.

I had a lecture once by an expert in GNSS (global navigation satellite system, technically you can't call it GPS because that's just the US sats). He has this cool gear and a wizard staff and shit so he can track the position of his staff accurate to +/- 2cm. Sadly this system is only used for determining where owned land lots end and start in people's backyards.

If you like that kinda stuff you can branch out into geo-information science

or you can do hydrogeology and work on water shortages, particularly USA and arid areas using up all their aquifer water.

>> No.7036510

I am currently a geology major in texas, is getting a minor in math a waste of time? I am unsure of what I want to do but the oilfield socks and planetary geology sounds sweet. What geology related fields require math? Is it possible to go from geology bsc to a master's program in geophysics? Also is anyone here interested in geochem? Most of the professors at my small geology department are geochemistry and chemistry isn't the most interesting field to me, but if it has cool jobs I'd do it in a heartbeat, chemistry > oilfield shit

>> No.7036513

>>7036510
Also sorry for retarded auto correct issues (oilfield socks etc)

>> No.7036539

>>7036510
>>7036513
If you are doing geology get a minor in math so people don't think you're a retard. If the geophysics program you are looking to go into is small there is a chance you can get in with geology, but if it is large (e.g. Mines) you are shit out of luck and geophysics is basically a separate department and looks down on filthy geologists. I just assume geologists know no math whatsoever, hence why having the minor is good, to be a flag that you can do something quantitative.

>> No.7036557

>>7036494
Chemistry

>> No.7036856

>>7036510
I did my undergrad in geochemistry but my undergrad thesis Involving exploration for a gold mine put me off working in mining.

Now I'm doing post grad in hydrogeology and it's breddy good.

>> No.7036873 [DELETED] 

>>7036856
why are you a faggot?

>> No.7036894

>>7036510
If I really wanted to do geophysics should I switch to a math major? My school doesn't offer geophysics and a regular physics major seems only have a few relevant classes that I can just add on. If it helps I'm probably going to do undergrad research in math regardless or not I get a double major or switch my major to it.

>> No.7036898

>>7036539
Meant to reply to you in my last post, not to myself

>> No.7036954

>>7036494

>>7036557
this, if you have a good understanding of chemistry you can do isotope work

>> No.7037054

I work in petroleum industry but do primarily environmental end stuff. Remediation, groundwater monitoring etc. Hydro and math are important because you need to be able to quantitatively define aquifers and plooms.

>> No.7037108

>>7036307
Be fucking awesome, go out in to the fucking field, do some fucking mapping, break open some fucking rocks, and come back to camp and drink some fucking beer.

>> No.7038519

>>7036420
>MFW I added another year for a double major in geology and Geography (with GIS).

I'm in line for loads of dosh right ?