[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 120 KB, 2500x1363, 141028-antares-rocket-explosion-jms-1825_c6574a8e67fd20cddbc518bebd937bd4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6990130 No.6990130 [Reply] [Original]

Chlorine trifluoride has been investigated as a high-performance storable oxidizer in rocket propellant systems. Handling concerns, however, prevented its use. John Drury Clark summarized the difficulties:

"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."

dear /sci/ can it be used as a rocket propellant, if so how?

>> No.6990136

>>6990130
>if so how?
Very, very carefully.

>> No.6990156

I suppose you'll want to use borane as the reducing agent, too.

>> No.6990172

>>6990156
OP here.
So I want to make a very simple rocket engine.
Using the borane as reactive reducing agent sounds like a plan. I was thinking of making the engine plumbing out of depleted uranium.
What would be a good fuel to use that doesn't burn hotter than the melting point of D-38. Basically it shouldn't heat over 1800 degrees within say about 14 minutes or so just to be on the safe side.

>> No.6990198

>>6990172
>engine plumbing out of depleted uranium.
>fuel to use that doesn't burn hotter than the melting point of D-38.
You're going about this the wrong way. If you want to realize high specific impulse, you're going to want to have a much higher combustion temperature. Regenerative cooling is the most common approach, but it's rather complex. Ablative cooling is another possibility; since you'll ideally only ever have oxidizer in the chamber during a burn, I don't think the incompatibility considerations necessarily apply here.

>> No.6990200
File: 144 KB, 1296x720, xk-pluto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I see you like to live dangerously. I also like to live pretty dangerously.

Here, have an XK PLUTO.

>> No.6991359

Not gonna happen, one of the most toxic compounds known to man.
It can literally light concrete on fire.

>> No.6991376

PSH! I know the true culprits! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g_njDy6BN4

>> No.6991411

Chlorine pentafluoride is better. And yes, it has been used as an actual rocket propellant. Liquid under moderate pressure, high density, hypergolic, good specific impulse.