[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 89 KB, 330x328, funs tops.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6978480 No.6978480[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I have a list of courses I can take at my university, and I'm wondering which of these I could safely go without if pursuing the physics B.S. as my primary degree (as opposed to math - my current).

I'll put **s next to those which would be required if pursuing a double major. (however, my goal is not to get out as quickly as possible, but rather take the proper courses to prepare me for grad school)

- Geometry
- Topology
- **Intro to Advanced Math (Set Theory/Proofs/Logic)**
- **Vector Analysis**
- Complex Analysis
- **Abstract/Modern Algebra**
- **Real Analysis (I & II)**
- Combinatorics
- **Graph Theory**
- Number Theory
- Differential Equations II (Partial Diff Eqs.)

On the other hand, while I'm here, I'll ask this as well - I'm strongly considering staying as a mathematics major and having a strong background in physics (perhaps to go to grad school for mathematical physics). So, if that's the case, which of these physics courses could be 'stripped' from the curriculum and allow me to maintain a broad base?

- **Intro to thermal/modern physics**
- **Thermal Physics**
- **Electromagnetism**
- Optics
- Solid State Physics
- **Classical Mechanics**
- **Modern Physics (with lab)**
- Quantum Physics
- Quantum Theory of Two State Systems
- Relativity (special)
- **Computational Physics**
- **Electronics lab**
- **Advanced measurements lab**

>> No.6978485

All of them. Most physics undergraduates aren't usually required to take mathematics classes beyond first year, they just take them as electives or to complete a minor or seond major in mathematics.

That being said, if you want to have a good understanding of the mathematical physics in physics, then you don't need graph theory and number theory.

For the second part, it depends on the area of mathematical physics you want to go into, but I'd say that electrodynamics, statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics together would be the most useful to learn if you're going to grad school for mathematical physics. Either way, you don't need to do the lab classes.

>> No.6978491

>>6978485
So things like optics, solid state, and thermal could be dropped? I feel like Thermal and Classical Mechanics would be very important courses to have