[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 346 KB, 1920x1080, 1403710575641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6974167 No.6974167 [Reply] [Original]

Hi there /sci/

I never use to come around these parts much, but recently I have. This has resulted in a desire to depart on the quest of knowledge (especially regarding science and math).

Yes, I have read the the sticky. Yes, I did download the highest rated academic study guides. So now for my first and only question, and I would prefer is some people with accomplishments in the field would care to enlighten me with an answer.

I have decided to begin my self-study -motivated purely by curiosity and not is not career orientated (yet) - with the subject of mathematics. Which school of math (ex. Algebra, Trigonometry, Statistics, Calculus, etc.) should I delve in first and would lay the best foundation to further upon build my knowledge?

In return, I will post some of my science/math orientated wall papers. Thanks in advance.

>> No.6974171
File: 1.08 MB, 2560x1440, 1403280633258.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Excuse my grammar and spelling mistakes, It's really small to review what I have written with the 4chan posting system.

>> No.6974176
File: 575 KB, 1920x1080, 1404012240023.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6974183
File: 1.12 MB, 1680x1050, 1416765727364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6974185

Linear Algebra

>> No.6974188
File: 79 KB, 1280x800, 1415995289688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6974192

Algebra and trig.

>> No.6974194
File: 278 KB, 1920x1200, 1416009879896.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974185
Thanks for the reply anon, I'll have to do some more research on my own before I commit to starting with Linear Algebra. Any specific reasoning for your answer?

>> No.6974199

>>6974192
Algebra and trig because it's fairly hard to learn calculus without both and all forms of advanced discrete math depend on a strong foundation in algebra.

>> No.6974203

>>6974194
If you don't basic algrebra and trig don't do linear algebra, that's much more advanced material, most people learn calculus or at least most of it first. Also one thing about math is that while there different general fields, they all heavily relate to one another, learn some basic algebra and trig, learn some caclulus and maybe some more advanced algebra and branch out from there with what you found interesting. If you lack some decent background in math linear algebra will likely be very difficult

>> No.6974207
File: 95 KB, 1440x900, 1403280333788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974192
Thanks for the second confirmation regarding Algebra, seems like a good place to start.

Anyway, if any other anon passionate about the subject would wish help me further with decisions regarding the study of math (i.e certain mindset and approaches that work well), I will be lurking this thread until it 404.

And now for my second last wallpaper.

>>6974199
Thanks, that makes sense, I guess you need to learn the basic rules before you delve into the part that manipulate or where they simply break down.

>> No.6974215
File: 135 KB, 1920x1200, 1387494163829.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974203
Thank you for your informative and logical reply.
I've decided to start with basic trig, algebra and calculus - studying them thoroughly before reviewing my further studies.

In other terms, the exact reply you posted.

Blessing, merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

>> No.6974247

>>6974215
This is very wise.

Some of the 'schools' of math that you have listed are not even really different disciplines, they are just sets of skills that are lumped together because its easier to teach them that way. Trig is not really different from algebra, for example, it is a smooth continuation.

Once you have algebra and trig down, you can start looking at areas of math that are legitimately very different ways of analyzing and considering things. From what you describe I don't think an application based approach would be best so at that point, I strongly recommend you pick up a book on proof techniques, work on it and read the proofs of others until you feel comfortable, and then the doors are open to so, so many disciplines. Some logical next steps would be proof based books on linear algebra, abstract algebra or calculus.

>> No.6974255
File: 111 KB, 1920x1080, 1396717450291.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974247
'Proof based' here referring to where mathematical laws are dissected and described line for line?

As always, thanks for the insight. Do you think I can start with some statistic alongside these other basic 'sets of skills' as you called them or would that just be a breeze once I have mastered trigonometry?

tl;dr: Where does stats fit in the picture?

>> No.6974271

>>6974255
Proof based means that some basic conditions are listed, and then you are guided through the process of actually inventing and describing the mathematical laws yourself. Higher math is universally taught this way - only applied math such as calculus for engineers is the kind of "solve this problem" stuff you're used to.

>> No.6974284

>>6974255
As far as stats - stats is taught in two ways. There is stats for scientists, which is in the same style of Problem --> Formula --> Solution that you are used to, or there is what you can think of as theoretical stats. After learning algebra you will be ready to tackle the former, but you may not find it terribly interesting. It very much has to do with the practical question of whether your sample size is large enough in your study.

The latter you probably won't be ready for until after learning some calculus.

>> No.6974285
File: 517 KB, 1920x1080, 1417678286345.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974271
Thanks again friend, I am saving this thread of personal reference. Have a good night, wherever you are in the world, anon.

>> No.6974291

go to https://www.khanacademy.org
and do the exercise questions. start at a level you feel comfortable with (maybe basic algebra?) then work your way up. it's not perfect but it does have a good focus on understanding the the basic stuff before moving on. you don't want to move into calculus without knowing quadratics, imaginary numbers etc

>> No.6974332

>>6974167
Basically because in most of the world schools don't really bother with teaching math at math classes but just throw formulas at you, you'll have to start from the beginning.

at first learning math is a lot like learning a new language in some ways, how to form a statement, logical rules and how is it right to apply them etc. even when you have the basic idea and "understand" a statement is true (or false), you're still a long way from rigorously write down the proof.

In my opinion, when starting to learn math it's more important to focus on creating a right mindset of wondering and asking (yourself) questions, and trying to figure out/understand their answers. Don't just stick to what's in the books.
When reading a proof don't just stop at the first step of understanding what was done in each line, but why did the author of the proof decide to try to go that way (sometimes it's very hard).

Many basic mathematical methods carry from one schools to another.

But then again you probably need to build a basic tool box first.
Linear algebra is probably the best way to start.
Calculus is nice because it deals (sometimes/partially) with mathematical constructs that you can draw (functions), so it helps to get a nice intuition going.

From there you could look at a maths degree syllabus and choose what looks interesting, if you liked calculus you might want to try complex analysis, if you liked Algebra, well, there's a lot more to explore down that path.

PS: don't just do reading books/listening to lectures. invest equal time at trying to solve problems (helps with creating intuition) and writing proofs. the former is the easy part, many times people think they understood a subject, only to spectacularly fail at the second part.
Also you might want to find someone who shares your condition, to encourage each other and have someone on similar level as you to discuss your explorations.

Disclaimer: I hold no Math degree, only EE and Physics.

>> No.6974333

saying "algebra" etc. is so incredibly vague, this could be anything from middle school to cutting edge research.

my advice is to look up the curricula of institutions and just follow their guidelines.

if you're not post-high school level, just pretend like you're studying for AP math and SAT math i and ii etc.

then, look up a college's math courses, they will often have syllabi online which will mention the textbook and chapters they use, just study those and do the problems at the back. you'll also get a pretty good idea from the website about the structure of the courses, which ones are pre-reqs to others, and so forth.

in theory you could easily learn up to PhD level by just following course info online and downloading pdfs of books and stuff. the problem is actually bringing yourself to do it, and having the discipline to stick with it and when you don't understand it, looking up tutorials online to get through it and not getting frustrated. almost all people can't do this, but good luck!

>> No.6974342

>>6974333
oh and im going to follow this up with personal experience: that doing problems is 90% of the work. it's easy to fucking sit there with your highlighter thinking you know it and remember it but you don't. you don't.

just read through the section WITHOUT taking notes, without highlighting stuff (unless it's a key formula or something, which will probably be in bold anyway), just focus on really trying to get your head around what the idea is. then when it comes to doing problems you'll need to twist that understanding in your head to solving the problem, which is often hard, and you'll have to go back and look over examples in the text, or look in the answer for how a problem is solved, to get a better feeling for how this new understanding is applied.

you then grow this understanding and your ability to apply it by just doing endless problems. so 90% of your time should be spent either doing problems or finding out how to solve a problem.

>> No.6974363
File: 1.84 MB, 2750x2750, o1e9atI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks once again to all of those who contributed, your comments will be read actively and enjoy this last wall paper from me.

It's a photo recently taken by a Chinese satellite if I am not mistaken.

>> No.6974409

GOAT /sci/ wallpaper thread OP.

>>6974176
Who are these people?

>> No.6974429

>>6974409
What is GOAT?

Those are leading scientist. Einstein, Barack, etc.

>> No.6974568

OP you sound autistic
What do you do for a living?

>> No.6975518

>>6974568
Lol, autistic? I'm a waiter and I'm happy with life. Please keep your projections to yourself.

>> No.6975585

>>6975518
You obviously have potential OP, don't listen to shitposters and study.
What people have posted here is a good starting plan.

Make sure you enjoy the trip, that's what really matters.

Pretty sure you'll end up achieving more than just being a waiter brother ;)

>> No.6975655

>>6975518
Didn't mean to offend, the opening post just sounded too "serious"
You should start with what attracts you more. If you've never approached maths you might find interesting geometry and algebra, they're both accessible and fascinating
Why don't you enroll in an uni if you're developing a passion? I worked last year, and dropped CS this year because I wanted to do maths (starting in 2015)

>>6975585
>Make sure you enjoy the tip, that's what really matters.

Well that's just rude anon

>> No.6975713

>>6975585
Thanks bro, but I actually have a real good job in the industry - low work load, high pay, positive environment - and it is basically perfect as a gap fuller. As I said before I'm attracted to the science and math out of curiosity, not as a means of surviving. Regardless, thanks for your post bro.

>>6975655
Well you should know well the stigma associated with 'autism' on this board, anyway I'm not one to hold grudges. But just so you know, I did alter my dialect to some how match what I have been exposed to here on /sci/. My plan is to study and I am considering finance, working part time and doing modules in a timely manner as my wallet allows. Anyway man, my creates pro in life is that I am happy... all the rest are just trimmings.

Thanks for the replies.edow

>> No.6975717

>>6975713
greatest*, not creates
my bad

>> No.6976771
File: 684 KB, 1696x1088, 1348639393076.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]