[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 34 KB, 450x298, aubrey-de-grey-bil-conference.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6920059 No.6920059 [Reply] [Original]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity_escape_velocity

So is this actually coming soon? Most futurology I can comfortably take with a grain of salt but this is a pretty big fuckin' tease. I'm sick of seeing articles pop up every day with this chucklefuck musing about how I "may or may not" be able to reverse my aging within "maybe the next 20 or 30 or 40 years"

>> No.6920069

it is the same as the remineralization of the teeth by electric impulses and rendering drills useless:

It may come out, but will be hopelessly expensive or exclusive, because everything, yes, even Science, is money.

>> No.6920087

>>6920059
I want a job where I can grow that beard. I hate everything about that fucking piece of shit, but his beard is the beariest beard of all fucking time.

>> No.6920172

On the other hand, there seems to be evidence that certain dietary components stimulate repair of DNA damage, and protect against cancer as an endpoint. One of these is chlorogenic acid, a major component of, and absorbable from, coffee.[11] Coffee is protective against colorectal cancer,[12] and chlorogenic acid and its metabolites increase the protein expression levels of two DNA repair enzymes: Pms2 and PARP.[13] Another compound that protects against the early stages of cancer is naringenin, a citrus flavonoid.[14] Naringenin was shown to increase the mRNA expression levels of two DNA repair enzymes, DNA pol beta and OGG1.[15]

>> No.6920480
File: 68 KB, 504x716, The_Maes-Garreau_Point.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6920059

Like all futurology, it's bullshit.

>> No.6920537

>>6920059

I don't see why it won't be possible some day. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's inevitable. There's no way of putting a timetable on it, and it would be ridiculously expensive and exclusive if it was ever worked out. Rightfully so, really. Not that I think only the rich deserve to live forever/exponentially longer, but for it to be widely available would be the end of the world, literally.

In fact, I wonder if people would sterilise themselves for immortality? For instance, you reach the age of say, 18, and you get the choice: you can have children and pass on your genes, or you yourself can live forever but never have children. That would be one way of avoiding overpopulation, but I wonder what the general consensus would be.

>> No.6920544

>>6920480
Aging might be on the list though. There's a pretty big incentive to discover it, because basically everyone will want to have their youth back to some degree.

Pharmaceutical companies probably won't touch it for at least another decade, when more research on the matter comes out. However, if the targets to cure aging are identified, you can be certain that the synthesis and large-scale production will occur within 5-10 years.

It's really up to some of the companies, universities, and individuals who are investing in anti-aging early as to whether or not it will exist in our lifetimes. I would wager that medicines that extend human lifespan by several decades will become available in 20-30 years.

>> No.6920567

Why has human life expectancy stayed at ~80 for the past 50 years?

>> No.6920581

When people die of old age, what do they die of?

>> No.6920582
File: 240 KB, 612x2391, 20130129.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6920480
sour grapes

>> No.6920596

>>6920059
I don't see why it would be impossible.
The real question is when?

And in case you didn't know yet. Google has created their own daughter company in search of life extension.
As with most sciences, the speed at which it goes depends on the budget available. With google funding it we might have some small ray of hope.
And the potential profits would be enormous. Just imagine it, how many people do you think would buy it. As soon as we get the first few things done, the amount of rich people wanting a piece of the action would be endless and so would the budget.
http://www.calicolabs.com/

>>6920567
Life expectancy for humans has always been "high", at least it life expectancy doesn't tell us how old people could become before dying of natural age.
During the middle ages the life expectancy was only 35, however that was only because of a large amount of people dying before adulthood, Murders and diseases.
Those lucky enough to avoid that could live well into their 60s.

Life expectancy hasn't gotten up that much because it tells us little about how old people can get but about how many people we can prevent from dying before reaching an old age.

>> No.6920606

>>6920581
Aging is more than the telemores and cancer.

Aubrey De Grey might be a lot of talk, it does look like he knows what he's talking about.
watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL3DW6-xzLc

>> No.6920662

>>6920480
It's true
The guy that runs the largest cryostasis operation for people put off going in his poorly made machines until he died.

He was put in the machines 3 days after dying and will not be recoverable ever.

>> No.6920675

>>6920662
Don't ice crystals form and damage brain tissue when they freeze them? Or have they found a way to freeze people without doing that?

>> No.6920696

>>6920606
He's a hack in the great tradition of Linus Pauling.

>> No.6920698

>>6920675
The theory is that such damage will be repairable in the future.

>> No.6920713

>>6920544
Would you not agree that this would be a jackpot for pharmaceutical companies though?
Most of the antiaging therapies proposed would basically be temporary, as in people would have to regularly go back to get more telomere therapy or stem cell injections or nanobot repairs or whatever. So essentially you have a guaranteed profit until something better comes along. As for those who think it will be expensive and exclusive, I think you misinterpret supply and demand. Hip replacements and prosthetic limbs are expensive because not a big portion of the population experiences hip fractures and limb loss. But think about aging. EVERYBODY ON EARTH ages. If you invest into cheaper, easier forms of anti aging therapies, you don't really risk losing a profit because your target demographic is, once again, EVERYBODY ON EARTH.

>> No.6920721

>>6920698
Haha, how delusional are these people.
Ripping of dead people. Best business plan ever, it's not like they're gonna sue you.

>> No.6920782

>>6920596
Ok, let me rephrase my question.

Why has the average age of natural death in humans stayed about the same during all the advancements of the past 50 or 100 years?

>> No.6920794

>>6920675
>have they found a way to freeze people without doing that?
It's cutting edge anti-freeze
Disovered before I was born 30 years ago.

>> No.6920796

>>6920544
Once an important discovery is made, you will see funding coming from every direction the likes of which has never been seen.

And the money won't stop coming until it's cheap and available to all.

>> No.6920799

>>6920794
they dont get frozen, more turned into a jelly-like substance. They've done it with organs i think.

>> No.6920801

>>6920794
I would ask "Does it kill you" but they're already dead.

>> No.6920822

We haven't even found a way to make things age faster.

A bad life style can make you look like shit and increase risk of complications but nothing straight up takes years off your life.

>> No.6920825

>>6920721
I don't think many go in expecting to survive. There's not much of a downside since you would have died anyway.

>> No.6920844

>>6920796
>Once an important discovery is made

this is not as easy as it sounds

>> No.6920900

>>6920059
It's total bullshit.

http://www.quora.com/In-a-2005-TED-talk-Aubrey-de-Grey-said-that-we-can-achieve-robust-mouse-rejuvenation-in-10-years-How-is-that-timeline-looking-like-right-now

None of their goals are met.

>> No.6920903

>>6920582
No. It's healthy skepticism. Sour grapes is when someone else has something and you don't. No one has immortality or the future.

>> No.6920906

>>6920606
>it does look like he knows what he's talking about.
>watch this.
He does not know what he is talking about. He used to be in computer science, and switched to bio after he married his biologist wife.

He is a hack. >>6920696

>> No.6920924

>>6920903
>No one has immortality or the future.

Future people have it.

>> No.6921427

>>6920782
Different species have different average lifespans. Ours just happens to be 60 - 80 years, which is pretty long for an ape.

>> No.6921444

Don't expect it to happen, you'll only be disappointed. Grey and Kurzweil are both notorious for their optimism (probably owing to the fact that they themselves are pretty old)

I would say given the way things are going and given that "immortality" has recently gotten two big funders (2045 and Calico) that if you're a recent college graduate there's a pretty good chance you'll live to see indefinite lifespans become a reality. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to do so.

>> No.6923931

is this even desirable?
>people work for 50 years of their life
>continue to live off welfare money for 300 years past that

our societies will crumble and the standard of living of the young will drop rapidly under the burden of the huge amount of senile fucks who keep alzheimering away in their retirement homes on government money

>> No.6924292

>>6920713
I only use nanodroids that respect my freedom.
>implying the corporations can keep me from cracking their hardware and installing open source drivers for self replication

They say it's to prevent runaway replication but we all know its about holding onto those sweet cryptocredits

>> No.6924311

>>6923931
I suspect society would have to change.

And if you can work for 100 years, even a burger flipper could save enough to live off a personal endowment. And if you're in good health and enjoy your work, why not continue doing it? Even part time as a consultant.

Though I bet there could be a transitional period where the early adopters wind up trapped in old bodies for centuries, or they can keep some systems from aging while the brain still rots away.

In a way, we're already there. We have the medicine to keep people alive into their eighties, while our retirement age was set up for an all male workforce that obligingly dropped dead at 70.

>> No.6924447

>>6923931
That's why we need the rule "you're dead the moment you stop producing value".

People are only opposed to this because they aren't creative enough to realize all the ways people can be useful.

>> No.6924933

>>6924447
>they aren't creative enough to realize all the ways people can be useful.
Except for you, right? You pretty much explained why that's a bad idea.

>> No.6926999

>>6920059
http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/health/making-age-reversal-real

it's gonna happen in our lifetimes bruh

>> No.6927012

>>6926999
so can he show something tangible?

this shit has been going on for decades, I don't trust click-bait journalism anymore