[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 333 KB, 1698x1263, 1407131143721.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6824274 No.6824274 [Reply] [Original]

whatever happened to the putnam problem of the day threads?

>> No.6824280

>>6824274
Driven away by people who prefer to discuss IQ and textbooks unfortunately

>> No.6824296

>>6824280

ah word. plus i don't think most of /sci/ was capable of solving the problems, so the majority sort of killed it.

I couldn't begin to solve them, but scrolling through the thread and reading the discussion was always fun.

sux man

>> No.6825160
File: 3 KB, 546x65, putnam 20-10-2014.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6824274
well for many reasons i guess.

There wasn't only one guy who posted all the threads, i can tell you thaht because i posted a few of them. But instinctively i'd say that there was one guy who posted the majority of the putnam threads, my guess is that eventually that guy got bored and he stoped those threads. Then everyone stoped them.

But there are some problems with putnam threads, one problem a day is probably too much, those problems are usually quite tricky and take time to solve, lots of the time the thread got pruned before the problem was solved because attention was drove to a more recent putnam thread.

And there was not so many people interested in this them, but you can't blam them for that. I personally find that putnam problems are irritating... Once you're in you 3rd or 4th year in math at university putnam problems often seems uninteresting, and that's not the only problem, juste look at the today's problem (pic related)

To me it's as interesting as finding the primitive of some weird function, i know that's just a mater of opinion but still, i believe that once you have enought math knowledge lots of putnam problems seems boring.
And I don't want to look overzealous but... in what fucking space are we ? R^3 ? R^n ? any vectorial space ? i always found that the problems were awfully stated,

so in short the ops probably got bored but it's up to you to revive them, even if you can't solve a single putnam problem, if you're enjoying them and discuss about them then go ahead !, there will always be some people interested in them and making the thread interesting.

>> No.6825168

>>6825160

What about Project Euler problems? Do they have the same problems as the one you stated?

>> No.6825174

They got replaced by more IQ threads.

>> No.6825186

>>6825168
they're not quite the same, it's a lot more about programming and they're also different because there isn't a problem each day. But i never looked closely those euler problems.

>> No.6825189

>>6825160
i wanna say no because any 3 points define a plane and if they are non coplanar that would imply that there would be no 4th point in the same plane as the first 3 thus making parallel lines impossible

thats obviously wrong though because its a putnam question

i agree with you that a lot are uninteresting or just so ridiculously hard i dont even try and as a math grad student i am in the minority of people who are actually capable of solving most of them but, shit, its better than most of the shit on /sci/ and getting exposed to a bunch of really different types of problems is always fun

maybe id start this up again if i wasnt so lazy, oh well

>> No.6826935

>>6824274
They were boring