[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 354x480, 1405844174013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6791639 No.6791639 [Reply] [Original]

So guys how's your semesters going?

>> No.6791643

>>6791639
so/so... I'm getting some sort of a "vacation" due to a set of workshops that will take place next week.

Too bad I still have to read through the rest of the Information Theory and Coding book by N.Abramson T__T

>> No.6791654

>>6791639
Really easy actually. Hoping mid terms will be challenging to study for. Next semester will hopefully be more difficult. Math/Physics double major btw. Tons of fun.

>> No.6791660

>>6791639
Not terrible but not great.

Everything's just slightly off and I'm struggling to dig up motivation. I'm split between A's and B's after the first round of exams. Ideally I'm wanting to bring all of those to A's.

I feel like ineffective studying and a bit of laziness is the root of all of my problems. Anyone have any advice for studying effectively for a mixture of rote memorization, applying concepts, and solving problems?

>> No.6791679

>>6791639
Grades are good. Adequate for my taste. It's my discipline that is getting harder to come by. I work in the trades part time to make extra cash while I go to school and I think it's taking it's toll.

While It obviously won't work for every subject, I've taken an extreme liking to flashcards. I use a ton of them. I have them all organized and I feel it's a great way to get things memorized.I have my gf quiz me every night.

>> No.6791743

>>6791660

You are exactly me right now. The struggle is real. I'm looking forward to this weekend; I'm catching up on everything.

>> No.6791746

Fine. I find that leaving home and being on campus is absolutely miserable so that might be something to be concerned about from a mental health perspective but otherwise things are alright.

>> No.6791754

Every time I want to study, I sit down to do some problems. Then I realize that I have no solution manual, and the text has very few selected answers. I can't be sure my answers are right, so I do something else.

It's been going on like this for 6 weeks, but if I buy the solution manual the jews win. I just can't let the jews win, /sci/. And no, it's not online. I've looked.

>> No.6791787

>tfw no midterms

>> No.6791975

Hasn't even started yet

>> No.6791982

>>6791639

Stressful as all hell but I'm loving it. Not a single module which I'm not interested in. In my final year of BSc Statistics and in the previous two years there have been enough mathematics modules (Such as Algebra, Combinatorics and Graphs) that I only enjoyed some of the modules. My areas of interest are statistics and operational research and this year I've got:

Applied Statistical Research Methods
Multivariate Statistical Modelling
Decision Modelling
MSOR Final Year Project (For which I am doing linear programming - the topic I have excelled at best in my entire academic career).

>> No.6792035

>>6791982
how much does one have to love maths to study all that?

>> No.6792039

>>6791639
Was lazy my second semester. Have been catching up ever since.
Doesn't help that putting together a schedule and having to shove around exams is a fucking nightmare. Especially since they abolished bonuses for being a lab rat because one butthurt faggot who thought it was unfair.

All I want is get my BAsci. so I specialize on the interesting stuff. ;_;

>> No.6792040

>>6792035

Well I'm doing a BSc in Statistics, and my modules consist of two stats modules and one OR module in addition to my project.

There are plenty of people doing BSc Mathematics who will have modules which will be even more 'mathsy' than mine. Take for example my friend who is doing four modules for his final year:

Applications of Mathematics: Financial Mathematics
Dynamical Systems
Numerical Analysis
Applied Algebra and Geometry

But we all come from backgrounds of enjoying mathematics.

>> No.6792042

>>6792035
That isn't that much... This year I'm taking graduate classes in measure theory, harmonic analysis, and quantum computing, along with analysis on manifolds, complex analysis, galois theory, probability theory, and Lie groups. There are people who do more than that also.

>> No.6792048

struggling with my graduate combinatorics class

>> No.6792050

>>6792042

This.

And throwing a lot of module names out there can make things sound like lots more than they really are.

My BSc so far has been:

Statistical Reasoning
Modelling and Optimisation
Calculus and Numerical Methods
Sets, Functions and Linear Algebra

Statistical Modelling
Mathematical Methods
Algebra, Combinatorics and Graphs
Mathematical Statistics
Operational Research

Applied Statistical Research Methods
Multivariate Statistical Modelling
Decision Modelling
MSOR Final Year Project

And people who aren't at university level probably get a little bit blown away by a list of complicated sounding things, especially when coming away from perhaps A-Levels where the modules are just Core 1, Core 2, Core 3, Core 4, Mechanics 1, Statistics 1 (And then maybe doing further mathematics with M2, M3, S2, S3 and P1 and P2, which I think are Pure 1 and Pure 2). These are all really generic names and then you get words like "combinatorics" thrown around and if you don't know what it means then it's intimidating.

>> No.6792054

>>6791639
>6791639
Fuck Linear Algebra. I hate it.

>> No.6792056

I'm mostly taking essay classes so it's not too hard. My only problem is that I'm absolute shit at math. I just want to work with computers ;_;

>> No.6792359

Asexually, and time deficient.

Otherwise swimmingly.

>> No.6792403

>>6791639
I'm keeping up with my grades and work. But I'm taking six classes and having trouble keeping up. Especially since all this shit is new to me. Want to get straight A's. Hoping I don't fuck it up.

>> No.6792419

so easy

4.0 gpa expected

>> No.6792437

>>6791754
wolfram alpha dog, buy the app so you can see step by step solutions if you get stuck

>> No.6792440

>>6792056
What math are you in?

>> No.6792452

Really bad, wish I didn't defer last year, I'm going to fail, should have let myself fail last year and only have to repeat some classes.
Fuck
I'm 3 weeks in, how fucked am I?

>> No.6792453

I'm taking intro classes for a biochem degree, dif/int calc, bio, chem, phsy. Ive got a 4.0 in everything but bio, my prof has shit exams, everything is based on memorization instead of application. this nigga expects us to remember random facts we barely touched onlike wether humans can digest <span class="math">\alpha[/spoiler] or <span class="math">\beta [\math] glucose(not the focus of the course instead of asking something that applies to courses material like "humans can digest glucose chains withthe OH group on C1 below the ring's plane; is this <span class="math">\alpha[/spoiler] or <span class="math">\beta [\math]"

I get that im at his mercy and he can do whatever he wants but fuck thats just a stupid way to test understanding of material

>>6792419
congrats[/spoiler][/spoiler]

>> No.6792460

Bad, I have lectures early in the morning every day and it's killing me.

>> No.6792529

was taking three physics classes, one of them was QM and i was really looking forward to it, but all of them together with everything else was too much. had to drop QM to wait to take it next year probably and shit fucked up my ego

>> No.6792532

>>6791639
I'm on the term system, so y'all can go fuck yourself.

>> No.6792549

>2nd year med student
>no more anatomy or histology lab
>Only about 25-30hrs of lecture a week with occasional path or doctor 101 lab

Bretty gud. Significantly above average so far on exams.

>> No.6792591

Bombed my Real Analysis midterm because I didn't study a certain topic well enough, and realized I need to put more work into my studies.

Also considered dropping Statistics for Physics because Statistics class is like watching paint dry and even if Physics is more rigorous at least it's something I'm interested in.

>>6791754
Google gives you nothing? I googled "____ solutions manual" on a whim one day and I found a pdf some professor did for the whole textbook because the answer key in the back of the book is garbage.

>> No.6792627
File: 79 KB, 960x720, white privilege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>excited to take physics
>faculty for physics department is small and chill
>a few weeks before semester starts my physics professor dies
>the chair of the department has to teach now
>he hasn't taught in a decade and it's just a casual clusterfuck

I'd be fine if the shit he assigned was from the book, but the material is hardly even close. everything comes off the top of his head.

office hours 4 days m8

calc is fun though

>> No.6792648

>>6792627
Professors who don't want to or don't know how to teach being forced to teach is probably the biggest complaint I have about college in general.

There are some good teachers, but also a lot of bad teachers, but tenure prevents them from being kicked out. It's maddening really.

>> No.6792654

>>6791639
That girl is cute.

As for the actual topic, not bad. Taking mostly CS with a course on number theory, which is really cool.

>> No.6792698

>>6792437

It's a genetics class.

>> No.6792702

>>6792648

It's college, nigga. You're supposed to be teaching yourself everything anyway.

>> No.6792723

>>6792702

Yeah but you are not tested on what you teach yourself.

You are tested on the material they think you should know by the end of the class. And for that you need some idea of what that material might be.

Otherwise you will spend your time studying shit that isn't going to be on the test while disregarding shit that they are actually going to test you on.

>> No.6792739
File: 10 KB, 208x200, 5ThCcuF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6792723
That exactly what happened to me here >>6792453

the class is intro cell and molecular bio and we are learning about alpha/beta monosacharides and instead of teasing on on something like

humans can digest alpha glucose, is the hydroxyl group attached to the c1 carbon above or below the plane of a digestible glucose sugar?

he asks a question like humans can digest 1) alpha glucose 2) beta glucose 3)alpha and beta glucose 4) neither

He wants us to memorize some random fact instead of testing us on the application of the core concepts

shits retarded as fuck

>> No.6792808

I'm in a strange situation. I did so well in 2nd and 3rd year that I can get a pretty crappy mark this year and still get a first overall. However now I have no motivation to engage with the modules and bother learning it. I especially have no desire to read stuff like for my project

>> No.6792818

>>6792808

I take it you mean no motivation towards your liberal arts courses?

>> No.6792819

>>6792818

I'm doing Physics..

>> No.6792838

>>6792819

but you'd still need to do well in the course since it's probably a pre requisite, no?

>> No.6792851

>>6791639
Not bad
Object oriented is easy as fuck
Systems and Networks I is tough, but c programming is good exp
Modern Physics isn't bad
Optics is cake

working 40 hours a week on top of that though, has me drained, waiting for semester to be over

>> No.6793066

Pretty good,
Taking:
Gravity and the Quantum
Relativity
Tech communications
Science Tech & Society

First two are good, 2nd two are gay

but A's for days my nigga,

Physics major

>> No.6793073

>>6791639
horrible
i am in 4 classes
2 are fine
computational math is pretty had, the material is hard as shit, homeworks arent graded and i cant force myself to do em so i am a week behind on that and have a ridiculously hard programming assignment next week
measure theory, i have absolutely no idea what is going on, i cant do any of the homework and just am completely clueless when it comes to proving anything related to the material and there is an exam in 2 weeks, i dunno wtf i am gonna do i might actually fail this shit
and worst part is, despite how bad i am doing i have absolutely no motivation and cannot force myself to work or study, because it is jut abstract goalless studying til i know it better instead of actually cramming for an exam or assignment

also i am now 6 weeks into grad school and still as completely clueless about getting into research as i was when i started

>> No.6793228

>>6793073
have you talked to any professors?

>> No.6793236 [DELETED] 

>>6793073
did the measure theory class just get moved from a nice room to a shitty room that doesn't even have lights for the chalkboard by any chance?

>> No.6793315

>>6792054

I agree, I bombed my mid term and I just wanna drop the class now, but if I do then it'll fuck up my whole schedule. Why the fuck didn't I study more?? fuck me.

>> No.6793317

>>6793073
you need to focus on passing your quals/prelims

>> No.6793345

>be in grad school
>Want to keep really high grades to hopefully get fellowship later
>All classes use +/- system
>92.9 % is an A-

Fuck its stressful when you know that you are already down to a maximum potential grade of 98.3 % and you still have 3 tests left

>> No.6793352

Fucking stressful, I think I just piled too much of other people's shit on my plate this time around. On the bright side, I'll be giving my first seminar talk this semester.

>> No.6793367

>>6793228
ive talked to my computational math professor at office hours but i didnt even really understand what he is working on, im at such a low level i have no idea what i can do

>>6793317
gotta pass qualifiers in computational math and measure theory, im seriously questioning whether im gonna be able to pass the measure theory one

>> No.6793394

>advice from sister that my college cost in Spring was vastly overestimated
>try to put down money for dorms
>not admitted
>huh
>call em up, they say I have to pay admission deposit (again, doesn't transfer from fall)
>can't pay because not enrolled
>University of Buffalo literally doesn't enroll you for more than one semester at a time
>literally have to send an email for them to update me to be enrolled in spring
>their website has 0 ability to update enrollment status online
>was asking about using grant money for dorm deposit/tution deposit
>no, can't do that
>have to send them a message (by fax) that I want my dorm deposit deferred, then they'll see if they can do it
>updating enrollment status alone can take up to a week despite it being a fucking email straight to their office
>dorm vacancies are filled on a first-come first-serve basis
>didn't know any of this shit was going down until I tried to apply the first day the online form became available
They have the WORST fucking website and bureaucracy I have ever seen. I can't pay z until y clears, can't pay y until x clears, have to nearly fucking hand-write letters despite this being a college you can get Bachelor's from.

This shitty place doesn't even have a log-in for students or faculty on their main page, and the website is organized like garbage, fuck.

>> No.6793400
File: 243 KB, 640x493, MemeCenter_1412444591406_946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Classes are going ok, but I'm getting thouroughly raped in the ass by my univeristy.

>> No.6793451
File: 340 KB, 352x192, Gif 005.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Financially it's a mess. But I'm pulling As and Bs in everything. Just switched my degree from something useless and that I've already worked at (and didn't care for) to Environmental Science. Feeling pretty hopeful about my future now.

>> No.6793529
File: 111 KB, 525x299, green man sensually wraps his arms around old person.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

smooth sailing without giving a shit

>> No.6793533

>>6793400
German here

I get paid for going to university

You could come here and study for free

How does that make you feel?

>> No.6793666

Wow SO MUCH STRESS, SO MUCH DEPRESS, SO MUCH PAIN IN THE ASS, SO MUCH CRI EVERY TIME....

>> No.6793668

>>6793400
Memecenter is a pretty nice website, bro. You have good taste le fuuuu

>> No.6793711

>>6791754
>but if I buy the solution manual the jews win
right there with you my nigga

just download the PDF of the book, usually the answers are included in the PDF

>> No.6793720

I still don't know my schedule and I start tomorrow. Hopefully this year I stop being depressed and get some exams done. It's going alright so far, I've been hitting my head against the wall for two years doing nothing..

>> No.6793741

I think its going okay. I've been somewhat depressed the last few weeks and I'm trying to work myself out of it, but its tough. I have two exams next week and although I've been doing the HW consistently, I did not study for the past few days. I temporarily began pining for my ex-gf for no reason at all, too, and also began thinking irrationally regarding her & my education.

I'm only taking two classes(grad student), and teaching one class for two hrs a week, so my load isn't too horrible. I just feel psychologically exhausted more than ever. Also, I haven't been doing Kyokushin, exercising regularly, etc. Also, I'm eating horribly again...which is bad. I'm incorporating my water in my diet now and eating more fruits/veggies in an effort to curb my bad rating habits though. One step at a time.

Math grad school, btw.

>> No.6793834

Teacher in regards to semiconductor physics midterm..........no time for lube this one is going in the hard way.

>> No.6793903

>>6791654
>Hoping mid terms will be challenging to study for. Next semester will hopefully be more difficult. Math/Physics double major btw.
>typical math/physic major asking for ass rape
So this makes me wonder, are my professors masochist?

>> No.6793909

Dropped out for a gap year and doing absolutely fucking nothing

>> No.6793910

test

>> No.6794009

Hadn't realized school threads were okay in /sci/ now.

Anyways, does any one have any advice on transferring to a good private, maybe even ivy school from a shit community college? I did really bad in highschool due to some abuse at home ect ect and now I can't stand not going to an actual real people university.

>> No.6794021

Dropped out because of humiliation/asperger's. I have no idea what to do

>> No.6794029

>>6791654
Doing fourth year of math and shits still so slow paced. Really disappointed at how much they cater to the retards. (I'm in a good university too, no where near shit tier)

>> No.6794064

>>6794029
Which uni?

>> No.6794076

>>6794009
I think you would have a better chance of getting into a good public school from cc.

>> No.6794097

Terrible, I'm realizing I'm too stupid to be a CS major. I'm alright at software engineering but most of the math and logic is really non-intuitive and I think that 5 more semesters of miserable all-nighters and mediocre grades for my efforts aren't worth it.

What's a good major that requires no math/discrete logic/etc past calc 3? I'm sorry I failed you guys.

>> No.6794121

>>6791639

Got D's on my first two tests, I'm so bad at testing and exams its unreal.

I think I do so good everytime and im prepared and then i botch random bullshit.

>> No.6794130

>>6791639
Started out as pre-med and mathematics because being a doctor seems like a pretty chill profession. I'm the top student in my bio course, but I fucking hate it with a passion. I'm seriously considering dropping pre-med and taking up a computer science minor.

Also, I thought I'd hate chemistry, but it actually seems pretty cool.

>> No.6794141

>>6794097
How bad are you doing in Calc 3? I'm usually a straight A maths student and I just got a C+ on the last exam, even though the average was in the 50s.

Hang in there, bro

>> No.6794142

>>6794021

Get medication. It helped me.

>> No.6794144

>>6794142
What kind? Currently on an SSRI and Lithium. Evens me out, but I still feel autistic.

>> No.6794145

>>6794097
If you want to stay STEM:
- Psychology
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Environmental Science
- Environmental Studies
- Geology

So called 'softer' sciences are a safe bet. Of course, you could always go into something not science-y at all, like languages or architecture.

>> No.6794146

>>6794009

Transfer student here. I'm gonna tell you what's up.

STEP ONE: Have a plan that starts at CC and ends with good career prospects. Don't start CC just to say you're doing something. That's how people fuck everything up. For god's sake, have a plan. Even if you decide to change it later.

STEP 2: Go to CC. Don't be lazy. You're there to accomplish your goals. Learn everything. Don't feel like you have to transfer out right away; take your time. Get involved with extracurriculars if you have the time; they can be surprisingly rewarding. Especially sports.

STEP 3: Transfer to university. A good CC GPA gives you a very good shot at top-tier public schools. Fuck ivies; learning is learning. Don't take debt lightly. It's srs business.

>> No.6794149

>>6794144

Same, but mine extend to 10mg adderall 3x a day
and xanax

Its helped me ALOT. my family has alot of stigma with mental illness so I got my own insurance and went behind their backs to my own doctor and got help I needed.

I'm doing much better in school now.

>> No.6794152

>>6794141
The homeworks and quizzes are going fine, and if you asked me I'd say I understand the material. But the quizzes tend to test mechanical knowledge, whereas the exams focus more on higher-level thinking and connecting concepts, which I'm mediocre at.

Got a C on the midterm. At this point, I've stopped caring about grades because I've reached points where I was suicidal every single day. I'm just going to try to make it through the semester.

>> No.6794157

>>6794064
UoBirmingham

>> No.6794183

>>6794152
Are you away from home? I was depressed but didn't realize that was why. I transferred to mediocre university close to home and feel much better now. I don't have many friends here, but I'm feeling better even though my family isn't always supportive.

>> No.6794297

>>6794146

I want to get into duke. I would love to get into sports, but I don't even know if there are any at the school I'm in. Should I go to a different CC? I'm pretty sure this on is shit after going to it for about over a year, but I really can't say what constitutes a good one.

>> No.6794430

>>6794297
Doesn't matter what CC you go to. You aren't going to get into a prestigious university. Why would a university that refused people who went to high schools more difficult than your CC, had more credits from APs than you'll have when you transfer, got almost perfect test scores, were involved in multiple extra curriculars, etc., accept you? It's not hard to do well at a CC. You're in no way extraordinary, which is what they look for.

And to answer the OP: shit.

>> No.6794444

>>6794430

Because the fact that they refused them means that those things aren't the only factors that matter? Because a sophomore or junior transfer isn't the same as undergraduate admission?

You sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.6794456

Eh, a's and b's. Doing well in Calc 1, doing well in my finance class, but I have to take this bullshit management class and it's all esoteric definitions that the professor doesn't actually talk about.

It's a non quantitative class, but no one has an a in it because the professor is a moron.

>> No.6794461

>>6794456
What is your major, anon?

>> No.6794478

>Finance major
>3 Wall St. internships later, realize I hate office work and almost everybody who works in finance
>last semester
>Going to paramedic school after I graduate.
>Will be poorish, but fancy shit really does nothing for me. All I want is a decent place to live, my gf, and travel.
>Will have time for side ventures. Fuck 100 hour weeks of staring at Excel.

Plan to work like 4 days a week,

>> No.6794497

It's my last year and I'm burnt out
I've yet to start grad school applications and I don't know what i'm going to do now
I'm doing fine in my classes but I'm not happy

>> No.6794505

>>6794478
>you would rather deal with mangled people on the verge of death than wall street niggers
Good call, to be honest.

>> No.6794514

>>6794121

Can anyone give me advice on how to test better?

>> No.6794554

>>6794461
Finance/econ. I like analyzing the monetary system and economic models. I just hate the bs business classes that all the frat bros hang out in. If I would have known, I would've done an actuarial science major with a double minor finance and econ, cause the math is interesting to me and graduate econ programs are easier to get into with the math background.

So I'm doing a math minor now with the finance /econ, and just trying to make it through these awful business courses like management and organizations and intro to marketing. Once I take Calc 2,the quantitative stuff opens up for me.

>> No.6794562

>>6794505
Can't tell if sarcasm, but that's just my personality. I just wanna be happy, breh

>> No.6794572

>>6794297

If you want to go to Duke for some personal reason, that's none of our business. But if you're eyeing it for the prestige, don't. Nobody cares about prestige (beyond a point that's certainly below Duke).

>> No.6794576

>>6794444
"hardcore" delusion going on right here. It's almost cute.

>> No.6794587

Taking 3 Electrical Engineering classes (Elec. applications, Control systems, Signals and systems), 2 math (Linear algebra and Calc. 3), Elec. lab class, and I have a senior design project for a total of 19 units.

I have a feeling I'll feel like committing supoku by the time finals rolls around but I'm trying really hard to manage my time and also find time for my own personal programming projects since for some reason I decided to double major Elec. engineering with CS, and right now I'm just too overwhelmed by how much Math I have to do in a single class. I walk out of a 3 hour math class, straight into another 3 hour math class from 11 am to 11 pm.

By far the hardest semester I've had to date, but hey, at least I'm graduating this year ;_;

>> No.6794590

>>6794554
it gets as hard as you hope, if you stay on the quant side.

>> No.6794593

>>6792739
>esting us on the application of the core concepts
>shits retarded as fuck

this is why u look at his ratemyprofessor page

>> No.6794632

Struggling with most of my courses. I just want this semester to be over so I can start an internship with just one course at the side.

I just gotta make it til christmas

>> No.6794637

>>6794587
Jesus christ. I don't envy what your November/December are gonna look like.

>> No.6794648

>>6794297
Go to a state school and save money and get just as good of an education. Private schools aren't the end all be all.

http://theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/

Read that for some perspective. The guy just came out with a book on the subject as well I believe.

Like someone else said, debt is srs business. Go cheap as you can, get as much aid as you can in grants and scholarships and take out as few loans as possible. Attend a respected public university and you're good to go. Do well in school, get your internships co-ops and boom, jobs will hopefully be had.

>> No.6794652

>>6791639
ok..wish I was doing better in math. Just don't have time to do the homework. calc based physics is getting better..I'm finally able to break down the problems correctly. Psychology is a bullshit subject and insanely easy, required only memorizing and no thinking, same with bs civ class. My cs course (which is my major) is a stupid intro to java class and is ridiculously easy. Just trying to juggle everything is the hardest part.

>> No.6794777

>>6794157

I know of several 4th year Math students (4th year Physics here)

>> No.6794813

Total piss. I literally can't concentrate on anything.
Taking:
Biochemistry I
Organic Chemistry II
Spectroscopy I
Technical and Macromolecular Chemistry
Medicinal Chemistry

I love chemistry don't get me wrong but somehow I feel not smart enough to work as a proper researcher after I graduated. Might aswell throw everything out the window and start an apprenticeship as a chemical laboratory assistant where later on one of my co-students tells me what to do ;n;

>> No.6794816

>>6793073
bro you can't just give up like that. that "hard as shit" material actually makes perfect sense. It literally HAS to be true. The problem isn't the material, it's your work ethic and your mathematical maturity.

>> No.6794834

>>6794590
Ya, I find the study very interesting, just not the annoying business classes associated with it.

>> No.6794838

>>6794816
true things don't necessarily make sense.

>> No.6794841

>>6794838
IMO that just isn't the right mindset for tackling difficult mathematics classes

>> No.6794853

>>6791639
I'm skipping meals and losing sleep, but I feel fine for some reason.

>> No.6794891

Doing just fine aside from getting swamped in work this week. My classes seemed to line up just right in the first month to have all the assignments on alternating weeks.

Upshot is that I've had 6-8 large assignments due every other week. I can't do most of them until the week they're due thanks to profs not teaching the content of the assignments until maybe a day or two before they're due. So really, I have a week off, then a week of working through the day and sometimes all-nighters, repeat for 2 more cycles.

Midterms start in earnest the week after next, and they're all decently staggered, so I'm hoping that the assignment schedules will become staggered.

Feels weird man.

>> No.6794895

This semester I began upper division math with abstract algebra and differential equations. DE is a fucking cake walk - got a 95 on the first exam. On the other hand, my mathematical confidence really took a hit when I first got into algebra. I had no clue where to even begin with proofs. However, after practicing a lot I feel very confident in this class and everything is coming with effort. I just took the exam for the class on Friday and I think I will receive an A on it. I am very happy since it is a graduate level course and I am just a third year student. God damn I love this kind of math too. My other classes are going well, too.

Best semester so far. Smoking tons of pot and dropping acid every weekend. Life is crazy.

>> No.6794908
File: 175 KB, 900x900, 1402372780406.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Like total piss OP my PCRs are not working, I've got no clue why and I
have ~500 reactions to do.
>mfw

>>6794813
Impostor syndrome,follow your dreams faggot

>> No.6794924

Classes are easy. Will probably ace every single one of them. But emotionally, not so good /sci/, not so good... I really thought that I was over this breakup, but the past few days have proven me wrong. I have no motivation...

>> No.6794961

My only goal this term is to get a letter of recommendation from someone. My tutor is an obvious choice but I need one more. Whats step should I take to efficiently get to know a professor enough so he can write something about me? I'm a third year maths undergrad btw

>> No.6794975

>>6794029
Yeah same, people have always been telling me "next year will be harder". Everything is around 90% based on exams so I barely touch my books until march/april. My maths exams are a bit better but the statistics ones I took last year is literally the same questions each year only different words and numbers. Tomorrow I'm gonna make some music and play squash and spend some of my hard earned student grant money.

>> No.6794981

>>6791639
Alright so far. I'm taking General Topology, Abstract Algebra, "Intro to Proofs", a gen-ed, and a course for A second mayor I may be pickrngup. It's not too bad proofs is obviously easy as hell, Algebra is going well but Topology is Kicking my ass. I'm going to devote some serious time to catching up and studying, because it's really interesting and I'm sure with some hard work it'll Start to come together

>> No.6794982

>>6794908
PCR is always tough. Do you get zero product or the wrong product?

>> No.6795003

>>6794982
Zero product, I'm going to have to troubleshoot on Monday
but I hate using up Taq

So it's
>Check genomic integrity
>Check reagents
>Template titration
>Fiddle with cycle conditions (saw some primer dimers)
>Use CES solution if all else fails

>> No.6795014

I'm taking 6 classes:

-Modelation and Simulation II
-Physics I
-Data structures and Algorithms I
-Linear Algebra
-Calculus II
-Discrete Structures

Mod. and Sim. II was hard at first because we covered basically a complete linear Algebra course in 3 weeks and we got an exam on that, and I lost it (got 56% on it). But then we moved onto Linear programming and shit is easy as fuck and I got 100% in the second exam so I am not worried.

Physics is more fun than I thought. My professor is some hippy weird young dude who is famous for making fucking hard exams. I am not acing the course, but I am not doing bad, only a couple of stupid fuck-ups on 5% quizzes. I maybe have an 85% average.

-Data Structures and Algorithms: This class sucks balls. The professor is a very old dude who thinks he is the funniest guy in the world. His way of teaching is weird as fuck, and I don't learn anything in his classes. I aced the first project, but I don't know how I've done in the exams. For some reason he doesn't gives them back.

-Linear Algebra: This is easy, but I'm not doing too well because of constant little fuckups (i.e. missing a sign or something).

-Calculus II: Easy as heck. I have a 100% right now.

-Discrete Math: This class is very fun. I like the professor a lot. Like a 98% on this one.

>> No.6795025

>>6795014
I read molestation and simulation 2
It pleased me.

>> No.6795028

>>6791639
Finished midterms

>> No.6795095

>>6794648

Did you really think that this site would make me want to go to less prestigious school?

>> No.6795099

>>6795095
Do you really think anyone on this site isn't a gigantic loser who's projecting his self-hatred onto every post he makes?

>> No.6795117

>>6795099

No, but I have my reasons for wanting to get into a good higher university. I don't think it's pointless, or "impossible" but I understand where your coming from.

>> No.6795127

Is there a term for the "if I dont do it, someone else will" argument

>> No.6795139

>>6791639
>acing all tests and assignments
>hand in a coding assignment a week ago early
>get the grade back today
>0/25
>sent .class file instead of .java file
other than that and the gibberish i'm learning in discreet math, all is well

>> No.6795204

>>6791654
It won't be. Senior Physics/Math here.

>> No.6795228

>>6795014
At my uni I won't be able to take linear algebra until I after I take Calc 2. Sucks because it's gonna push graduation back a semester.

>> No.6795229

>>6791639
Actively losing any motivation I once had to succeed. Down to 115lb. Posting on 4chan instead of writing essays.
I'm going to amount to nothing.

>> No.6795232

>>6795229
>writing essays
That's what you get for not going STEM.

>> No.6795233

>>6795232
I don't even know why I thought minoring in business finance was a good idea.

>> No.6795275

I missed most of this semester of losing hand, I think I might barely pass calc, physics is ez, just like computer science, but >materials science is literally all memorization
We have a big test today, and the final exam will be in three weeks time with just two more lectures.

>> No.6795298

>>6791639
Freshman here, ChemE/Chemistry double major here. Should be an easy 4.0 this year. Thought O-chem would be hard, but it seems really easy so far.

>> No.6795317

>>6795298
The only reason ochem has a reputation for being a hard class is because it's the only chemistry class pre-meds have to take. It's just like how engineers say calc 2 and diffEQ are
hard.

>> No.6795321
File: 117 KB, 1024x749, f2389r298293.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bretty Gud,

Taking all advanced research classes you've never heard of at a university you've definitely heard of, 100% A in everything.

Physics/Math/Chem/Bio/Stats Quint major btw

fite me

>> No.6795327

>>6795298
dont get cocky with o chem. I did and I ended up thinking that I could just use logic to figure shit out. Doesn't work.

It gets harder but is definitely manageable as long as you actually go to class and keep up with the material

>> No.6795329

>>6795321
vhy is stats a different major and not a concentration for maths? fugging bleb :-DDDD

>> No.6795330

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it easy. I was worried that it was actually really complex and I was just clueless.

>> No.6795333

>>6795233
Should have just taken some finance classes.

>> No.6795338

Not good. Skipping classes too often.

>> No.6795342

>>6791639
Calc 2 is difficult, but everything else is great

>> No.6795348

>>6795329

oops i meant law, my math is stats concentration.

mad m80?

>> No.6795353

biochem is hard as a motherfucker
how the fuck am I to memorize all these structures without using systematic nomenclature?

>> No.6795587

>>6795139
lol, tfw wrong file

>> No.6795610

Eh, its alright. Tough to study, take a full load of courses, work out, go to work, and not get stressed. Totally procrastinating way more than I should.

>> No.6795613

>>6793533
dat hurts m8

>> No.6795639
File: 107 KB, 504x504, 1329413806648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

College Athlete here (lel athletes on /sci/) currently being assravaged by time constraints and fatigue. 4 am is my average weekday bedtime. taking 20 cred hours in fall so i can take it easy in the spring when the actual season starts, currently regretting that decision fully.
Econometrics exam tomorrow, pray for me brehs

>> No.6795657

somehow got a 100% (post curve) on my physics midterm that i thought i had really fucked up on
have a 100 word research paper on some psychology shit thats due tomorrow (havnt started)
multivariable is multivariable

>>6795639
hang in there mayne

>> No.6795666

orgchem is easy, fucking up anachem

0 motivation at all

>> No.6795673

>>6795095

I can understand the desire to attend a prestigious school. I'm sure we've all felt that feel at one time or another.

But ask yourself honestly how much that prestige will mean to you when you've graduated with the same job prospects and substantially more debt than a public school grad. That debt money could have gone toward a down payment on a house, or a car, or if not life stuff then whatever the fuck makes you happy. Instead you spent it on the ability to say that you went to a prestigious school for a short period after college, which ends when you get a job or enter grad school.

Come to terms with the fact that the prestige of an ivy is hollow. It has no substance. It does not make you a better scientist or engineer or whatever, and employers know it. What is is, aside from hugely expensive, is ammunition for impressing people. But only until that age when those people expect to hear about meaningful accomplishments instead of how fancy your degree is.

It's certainly good that you're driven to aim high, and if you absolutely insist that you want this then nobody's gonna change your mind. But have a realistic understanding of what you're getting when you pay tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for something.

>> No.6795699

I feel worthless guys. I am at CC and I work about 20-30 hours a week at a restaurant but im taking mediocre classes compared to you guys

Calc 1
Intro to C++ programming
Poli Sci
Music Appreciation

Next semester:
Calc 2
2nd semester c++ class
biology

what are junior/senior CS classes like?
currently we learn code and how the computer does things and we're tested on it.

>> No.6795711

>>6792549
where do you live?

>> No.6795712

>>6793533
Bafoeg? Don't you have to pay it back?

>> No.6795715
File: 84 KB, 500x385, last exit to springfield.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pretty fucked. Never go to class because i cant handle travelling anymore. Last semester so if i fail something ill be suicidal. How am i meant to study for 6 fucking exams at once

PDEs
mathematical computing for finance
nuclear physics
advanced optics
biophysics
astrophysics

one month till exams and have hardly done anything at all for like half of them

>> No.6795722
File: 11 KB, 300x231, nigga please 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6795321
>only 4 majors
>no endikkerind
>no shegels (finace)
>no beology
wad nikka kind of a bebeian are you :DDD

>> No.6795724

Look at you all.

You're doing science and math, and you're all miserable.

So am I. Why do we do this to ourselves?

>> No.6795728

>>6795724
We're all masochists , you couldn't even a CS pleb without enjoying self inflicted pain. Physics/Math double nigger here.

>> No.6795770
File: 330 KB, 1280x800, Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 11.18.32 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ok just got into med....at USYD.
ask me anything.

>> No.6795772

>>6795770
What was your GAMSAT?

I hear it's insane.

>> No.6795781

>>6795770
thats sad that you werent good enough for UNSW, sorry man

>> No.6795782

everything is fine

>> No.6795831

>>6795770
What's it like being the only person at your uni who speaks english?

>> No.6795836

>>6791639
idk thinking of killing myself but we'll see

>> No.6795844

>>6793394
ALL colleges have shitty fucking websites and bureaucracy. Its par for the course. Early in my undergrad I had to go and set up a meeting with my gen ed adviser. I walk into the building ask the front desk person, they told me I have to do it online, and pointed to a computer. So I left and did it 2 weeks later. Fuck em.

Doesnt get any better once you get employed by a college. So much bullshit.

>> No.6795870

>>6794145
I'm a Chemistry major and we have to do differential equations and linear algebra, so I wouldn't recommend Chemistry if you're looking to avoid math.

>> No.6795872

>>6791639
Everything's fine except for Microcontroller 8051.

>> No.6795891

Got 100s on everything besides English 2. I was stupid and took a teacher who wasnt listed in my school's grade database. I got a B- on the first project even though I went to composition tutoring and had them edit my essay. I'm considering dropping the class but I only have 4 more days to do so. Have you m8s ever dropped a class?

>> No.6796021

>>6795891
yea, ive dropped an English course as well.

>> No.6796023

>>6795673
This is 100% correct. Unless you're trying to break into Wall Street or get a career in academia, the undergrad you go to doesn't have a large effect on your career as long as you get good grades/internships/research. Remember, it's you that decides your success, not the school you go to. In my case, I chose to go to a small state school in Virginia (GMU) while my older brother chose to attend MIT. For what it's worth, I make a solid 30k more than him, and also work in a much better environment. Considering he's been working 3 years more than me, it's pretty obvious who's the more successful.

>> No.6796027

>>6794145
>>6794097
Where's IT on this list, it's a pretty easy major and the jobs are all there.

>> No.6796028

>>6796027
My school doesn't have an IT major or minor, only concentrations. I would love to do it if they had it.

I'm bretty gud at writing, so I might do journo and minor in CS.

>> No.6796075

>>6795699
drop the CS classes and go full math. generally less workload if you aren't retarded

>> No.6796201

>>6792739
That's pretty easy though, you should have known that alpha and beta glucose were things to look out for, and your prof should have at least hinted it. That specific fact you mentioned, I had in my grade 12 biology textbook, it should have been in your uni text too.
Sorry, but that is negligence on your part. You have to learn to glean the important facts and quizzable questions out of things. I understand that you may not like the system but you do have to adapt at least until complaints change things.

>> No.6796208

>>6795003
>(saw some primer dimers)
I bet that's it. Together with your annealing temperature.

>> No.6796211

>>6792654
she is cute yes, but her hair slides are awful

>> No.6796234

>>6795657
>100 word

How is that considerd a paper?

>> No.6796264
File: 209 KB, 960x758, aylziNF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I enrolled in a chemical engineering course after 4 years of working, traveling, and studying unrelated stuff. I'm very behind on math but the course seems doable. Really enjoying chemistry and C, physics will begin after learning calculus.

>> No.6796269

>>6796234

I guess you dont know the absolute hell that is having a 20 word essay due and not even having started it

>> No.6796297
File: 80 KB, 349x320, your valentine just fucked 20 dudes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first exam back for my junior level computer science course
>F
>class avg was a B
>mfw my stats exam will be the exam same as this

well fuck at least the exam was only 13% instead of the common 25-30% I keep seeing in my other classes. I gotta get my shit together and study well in advance instead of the night before.

>> No.6796299
File: 88 KB, 751x715, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> tfw senior majoring in bioengineering and feeling disillusioned with college and teaching styles

I wish I didn't go to college and had mentors who taught a few people. I'm just taking classes and just going through my day trying to justify time spent doing homework. It all feels like a waste of time and losing genuine interest in structured learning. I learn more when I'm genuinely interested in stuff and feel college was just another stepping stone.

>> No.6796506

>>6796299

dude, this would be, like, awesome

>> No.6796533

>>6796264
That image is extremely misleading. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's not really conveying the full truth.

Robert Noyce, for example, had been working in the field of solid state physics, specifically semiconductors, for quite some time. Before starting Intel, he was a physicist working with Shockley, the Nobel Prize Winner in Physics, and then went on to work at Fairchild Semiconductors.

He started it at that age only after acquiring an enormous amount of knowledge/education and cementing himself in the field. He already had about two or three patents for semiconductors already and was an established figure in the physics/semiconductor community. To say that he "founded Intel" without providing context is almost implying that, on a whim, he decided to create it without any background, education, etc.

The vast majority of these people on this list were already well established individuals with money. I know it's meant to inspire, but it fails to be inspirational because these individuals already had everything they needed to do whatever.

On the other hand, if the image featured a guy going back to school at age 41, getting his BS in his mid 40s and then starting a successful business/acquiring his advanced degree(s) in his late 40s/early 50s, then I could see how that infographic could be inspirational.

Noyce was known as Rapid Robert in University because he was so damn fucking fast intellectually. Come on.

>> No.6796542

>>6792654
>number theory
I feel like my class has hardly made any progress with us only have just finished divisibility after a month.
>Divisibility -> congruences -> quadratic residues -> further
Nigga, how the fuck are we supposed to fly through the rest of that within this semester?

>> No.6796587

>>6796542
This. I've only done 1 lecture so far but it's like; FUCKING HELL DEFINE A RING, FIELD AND A GALIOS GROUP AND LETS GET ON WITH THIS SHIT

>> No.6796589

>>6793533
Then you pay the rest of your life, 40% or so taxes. I turned down offer there bc of that, I'd rather suffer 4 years then make a good living!

>> No.6796594

Just had a co-op interview with Intel. I pretty much failed at answering all the technical questions. I had a vague idea of the concepts from university courses, but actually applying them were difficult. I feel that maybe I'm not cut out for engineering if all I do during the semester is memorize what I need to pass instead of learning the material. Finished last semester with a 3.9,but at the interview I felt like I was from an art degree.

>> No.6796753

Pretty fucking awesome.

12 hours of senior engineering classes to wrap up and I'm also doing undergraduate research in a lab (I'm writing a paper on my research which I hope to get published in a journal). On top of that I'm also working 20-30 hours a week at an engineering firm downtown where I have my own office.

My grades are average but I barely study for my classes and I don't really care too much. I would honestly be happy with B's if it meant keeping this kind of schedule. My grades are high enough for grad school if I ever choose to do it anyways.

The only bad thing is that I don't have any time to work out until I finish the semester. I'm busy every single day.

But I plan to work throughout Winter Break and Spring semester (my last semester) where I will only have 9 hours left to take. So I will probably have time to work out then. I'm looking to get hired at this firm as an engineer once I graduate.

Shit is going 100x better than last year. Last year was a fucking nightmare.

>> No.6796765

>>6796753

Age and school?

>> No.6796780

>>6796765

Don't want to give away too much information about myself, but I'm in my early 20's and in the American South.

>> No.6796820

CS/Linguistics
Everything is fine. I wish I had more time to master a foreign language.

>> No.6796831

>>6795342
What are you struggling with in Calc 2?

>> No.6796858

>>6796211
I like her hair slides. Fuck you, dude.

>> No.6796867

>>6796780

I bet you go to NC state don't you.

>> No.6796887

My analysis classes are fuggin me

>> No.6796914

>>6796867

no

>> No.6796923

>>6796594
What year are you in? I had the exact same problem you had as a sophomore but in my senior year, interview questions kinda felt easier.

>> No.6797049

>>6796914
GT?

>> No.6797096

>>6797049

staaaahp

no

>> No.6797101
File: 33 KB, 801x800, 1410796458308.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just did an algorithms and data structures II test.

I'm really tense because a lot of the grading is 'abstract' with these kinds of tests. You know what the teacher wants you to do, but you don't have enough time to write out every exception and do things neatly.

And I hate coding on paper.

>> No.6797161

Ju.st got my second 10/10 in a subject where the average scores were 4.6 and 4.9 respectively, it's a lot more rewarding to study for something you're actually interested in.

>> No.6797166

first year physics undergrad and...i really hate it.

i like the math more than the actual physics, thinking about switching, otherwise doing great.

>> No.6797404
File: 115 KB, 701x592, 1350146186171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791639
terrible

3 of 5 of my professors are complete fucking morons

>> No.6797515

How do I git gud in precalc? It's not even that hard, but I have problems with it. The algebra itself isn't too difficult, but there are all these minor details I always seem to miss that fuck everything up. How am I supposed to remember all the rules and know when to apply them?

>> No.6797524

>>6797515
just keep trying the problems over and over. precal is a minor weed out course in my opinion. my college had a 35% pass rate for the class.

Class was a fucking pain in the ass

>> No.6797526

>>6797524
Is calc any better? I hope it doesn't just get harder and harder. I know my major (EE) is supposed to be difficult but I'm sure it's not hellfire on earth.

>> No.6797539

>>6797526
depending on how hard your professor is on the algebra, calc 1 can be difficult but so far its easy.
split into basically 3 parts, limits, derivatives, and integration.
limits uses a lot of factoring
derivatives uses a lot of distributing and reducing/manipulating
and i am not on integrals yet

>> No.6797568

Microbio
Communications
Human development

I basically just wanted to take microbio but my gpa was so shit (3.3) that I needed to inflate my GPA

I have a test on Friday for Microbio and I'm doing a real shit job of studying right now and procrastinate heavily. Luckily I still put in 2 solid hours a day so my notes are pretty decent looking and I'm gonna work hard for an A on the test. The teacher is new so no one knows what to expect on her tests

idk how you guys take like 8 hard classes in one quarter. The max I can take is two

>>6797515
As the other guy said, just practice the practice problems. Like seriously, doing them will help you get a firm grasp on the concept and WILL prepare you for the real test tremendously. A lot of people try to memorize the functions and assume that they'll use that same formula on the problems. Too bad during a test all sorts of random things can pop up and people make a shitload of mistakes (the "tiny" ones that basically fuck a lot of people over).

>> No.6797577
File: 51 KB, 425x336, 1348238523826.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tests are suffering.

>One and a half hour math test
>Basic calculus, have had no problem doing all the practice work
>Get handed the test, looks alright, not too hard
>Start doing it, everything is going steady
>Skip one equation question and save it for later in order to have time for the most difficult ones
>Everything going steady
>One particular graph related question gave a lot of points but seemed very easy, too easy
>Realize I misread that fucker
>Oh God only 20 minutes left
>Halfway through it I realize that I forgot to go back to the equation question I skipped in the beginning
>Realize that there's yet another question to be done after the graph and that first equation question I skipped
>10 minutes left
>5 minutes left
>Time's up

>mfw I could have aced that test if it didn't have such a short time allotted

>> No.6797811

>>6795844
wow you sure showed them kiddo

>> No.6797812

>>6797577
>being so stupid you have to use all the time

Damn, must feel bad to be so stupid.

>> No.6797836

>>6795870
yeah and it stops there
>"math is so hard! I have to take diffeq and linear algebra!" -engineers

>> No.6797843
File: 35 KB, 597x589, 1373651117741.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791639

I dropped out because I got depressed over a failed friendship and spent the entire last year having an existential crisis.

>> No.6797847

>>6797812
This

>> No.6797850

>>6797577
>>mfw I could have aced that test if it didn't have such a short time allotted

>blaming everything but yourself

>> No.6797854

I felt pretty bad because I bombed a probability quiz that I didn't study for (I had more pressing matters like exams that day); the professor likes me and when he was passing back the quizzes he had to double check the name on mine when he gave it back to me; made it seem like he didn't believe I scored so low

but hey I got a good grade on my diffeq test

>> No.6797859

I failed my bio midterm. I don't feel so bad considering the class average was 55% but still. Had my 2nd microbio test last Thursday and I felt like I did pretty good on that. Chem is easy and so is math.

>> No.6797863

>>6797096

Wasn't me but are you serious? You think some one is going to go to your university and hunt down a random poster on /sci/? Stop being dumb and just tell us.

>> No.6797885

>>6796594

youre fine, school isnt really meant to teach you anything anyways (im not being sarcastic, the school system really is fucked)

maybe go talk to some engineers actually working in industry

>> No.6797902
File: 1.43 MB, 744x544, Im out.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791639
I have no motivation to get out of bed in the morning besides eating food and browsing 4chan.
I cannot stand any of my classes, they are all unbearably dull, even astronomy. I have nothing to look forward to at college.
My calculus class is the only thing I can enjoy because my professor is a nice person who is at least trying to teach us, and his accent is pleasant.
My physics professor is difficult to understand because of her accent, and instead of teaching us she stands at the front of the classroom doing problems for us. I am having difficulty understanding the lessons and I can't find anything that can help me understand what I'm trying to learn.

>> No.6798551

>>6791639

Computer Networks is magic.
Computer Org./Language Assembly is a little tough.
Programming Languages is fun.
Physics I is cake.

>> No.6798584

After slacking in high school (got the grades, didn't get the knowledge) and getting asked to leave my state's university after my first year, I now care about my education.

>tfw struggling in college algebra
>tfw 69 on first exam

I have the desire to learn this shit though so I still have hope. My goal is to understand linear algebra and differential equations one day. I'm ignorant and don't even know what that means but I can not accept being ignorant anymore.

>> No.6798617

I feel terrified of starting because I fear failure, so I just never start and every day I tell myself I'll study more, get all the knowledge, pass those exams but I never do it

fuck man

>> No.6798679

>tfw transferred to uni from cc
It's my final year but I slacked so hard last year I only have a 3.1 gpa since my cc gpa didn't transfer. How the fuck am I supposed to apply to grad school now? Fucked up hard for life

>> No.6798707

>>6798679
Get into a masters program, kick ass, take names, pick up research experience, and you're good to go.

>> No.6798721

>>6798707
It really doesn't matter if i end up in some shit-tier masters program as long as I do good there? I just want to go to a nice school with a nice PhD program and live comfortably

>> No.6798733

>>6798721
Your chance at top-tier PhD programs is pretty much gone, but if you do well in a Masters program you can get somewhere decent. The worse the quality of the program or the lesser known the name of your school, the harder you'll have to work to stick out. I can't give you specifics but you're probably going to have to hit the ground running in terms of original research if you're in a shit-tier program, but a 3.1 and good softs means you can get better than shit-tier.

>> No.6798742

>>6798733
Well fuck. I think i'm just going to go join the army and fight for israel or something. I can't believe I goofed so hard, just lost all motivation some time ago and never really recovered in that sense. Oh well.

>> No.6798747

>>6798742
Lolwut. If you want a PhD in a field you love and you have the opportunity to get it, why do anything else? Get into a masters, join a research group doing something you're interested in, do well in classes, get letters of rec. With interest in your field and discipline it'll be enjoyable and doable. And in regards to grad school, ranking doesn't actually mean shit. Look for an advisor you think would help nurture your career path and go for that. Fuck Israel.

>> No.6798769

>>6796858
They are too big for her fine facial features

>> No.6798780

I have a signals and systems test tomorrow. It's a one day class so the professor just breezes through everything like he has a gun to his head. What a surprised when I actually found out we'd "covered" already 300+ pages and it's not even the middle of the semester. I hate this notion where professors just want to rush to complete the syllabus just to say that they did and they leave us to teach the stuff to ourselves, and it's not like "go practice this at home" it's..."go read 100 pages and next week you should be familiar with it, it's easy stuff trust me I know"

Anyway, gonna pull an all nighter so that I don't embarrass myself tomorrow. Sigh.

>> No.6798782
File: 744 KB, 1044x644, transcendental.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

GOOD

>> No.6798812

Bio 1
Chem 1
Phil. of Mind
Modern European Philos.
Intro Cognitive Neurosci

Pre-med. Stressed because I don't sleep enough and I feel especially stupid and slow because of it. Thanks to early classes and 1 1/2 hour commute to/from school. Also poorfag so I have to get a part time job while going to school. On top of that I'm trying to find volunteer opportunities, get in a research lab, be involved in clubs/honor society, and pay attention to my girlfriend. I am not happy right now. Only happiness is when I'm stoned. No social life. I feel like my opportunities are limited because of my personality. I feel like a failure even though I've done well in college so far. I've been on antidepressants for a year. I think that weed might be making me stupider but it gives me joy so I don't care. I also think weed worsens my depression in some way. This info dump is a form of therapy.

>> No.6798814

Just finished first set of midterms.

Chem: 98
Calc II: 100
Physics: 100
Bio: 94
CS: 97

First year is babby tier.

>> No.6798826

Calc 3
Diff Equations
EM Fields and Photons
Stats
Circuits Analysis
Intro to C++

Did pretty well on EM fields midterm but fucked up the calc 3 one, but fomr what ive heard everyone else did too so its not that bad. The 6 course workload is pretty tough but I guess thats what you have to do to get an EE degree.

>> No.6798862

>>6798747
I suppose, I guess I'm just worried I'm going to end up in some dead end job or something. The whole post-doc situation i heard on some NPR report had me a bit skittish. I just want to end up in a lab, but I guess I wouldn't mind making shampoos if it means I can live comfortably

>> No.6798961

>>6798826
calc 3 is fucking hard.

>> No.6799043
File: 29 KB, 613x556, 1406193444514.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6798826
>>6798961

>Tfw studying for it right now

We'll make it bros

>> No.6799153

IT/Cyber Security major at a large state school, charmed my way into an interview for an internship with Facebook. I don't know shit about programming and just literally told them "I have no idea." to all of their technical questions. For some reason I got a call back two days later telling me that they were impressed, are they just fucking with me or something?

>> No.6799170

I took a health science course for a tech elective thinking it would be interesting but unfortunately we have yet to cover anything I haven't already learned like two/three years ago in my first nuke class. Got the first exam back today and got a 98/100. In my fusion course we finally finished the overview of different magnetic confinement designs and are going to start getting into technology issues like plasma heating, superconducting magnets, cryogenic systems, etc.

>> No.6799172

>>6799153
"Unfortunately we do not have any coding internships at this time. However, we do have an opening for interns to drive our buses!"

>> No.6799246

>first semester almost finished
>str8 A's
>5 out of my 6 teachers are retarded
>my fucking discrete mathematics teacher (she's a gurl btw) says I can't deviate from how she teaches the operations

WHAT THE FUCK. LITERALLY WHAT THE FUCK YOU FUCKING WHORE. THIS ISN'T EPISTEMOLOGY CLASS OR WHATEVER OTHER HIPPIE SHIT. IT'S FUCKING MATHEMATICS, THERE'S A LOT OF WAYS OF DOING SHIT. IF I GET TO THE RESULT IT SHOULD BE ALL THAT MATTERS.

"B-BUT ANON, WHAT IS PREFERRED THAT YOU DO-- SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. YOU SLUT. I EVEN MADE THE ALGORITHM SHORTER, DON'T TRY THIS SHIT 'i-im still right though.." SHIT ON ME YOU FILTHY SKANK.

>> No.6799281

It's decent. Actuarial science major who is switching to pure mathematics come next fall. Calc and physics are repeats of AP, Computer Science is javascript except the professor is completely useless, and fuck spanish.

>> No.6799336

>>6791639
My Quantitative Chemical Analysis class is taking a shit on my chest. Other than that it's all good.

>> No.6799377

>>6799246
edgy

>> No.6799400

>>6799246
you are so angry
jesus
i know the word autistic gets chucked around a lot, but are you sure you're fit to function in society?

>> No.6799413

>junior, physics, research-i-but-not-elite public university
>started semester at 18 hours
>dropped 2 classes already
>set to fail everything else in all likelihood save for an a absolute waste of time/tuition creative writing class
>gpa a little above 2.4 before all this
>hated college from the start/never made a single friend
>thinking i should transfer to a lesser public university that's in a part of the state i prefer
>wish i could drop out and still do something relevant to my interests for a living

>> No.6799414

>>6799246
it's probably just for the purpose of expedient grading

>> No.6799479

>>6799336
>A class for Quantitative Analysis
That's funny, you're funny.

>> No.6799483

>>6791639
i bet that pic's actually a guy

i can never trust anything again

>> No.6799519

Currently a "Junior" studying Biology at a local state school. I have been out of high school/college for 8 years. Was in the Army for 6, and right before I got out I took all the Clep/Dsst test I could. .So with those tests and credits for my military training I have 96 credits.

Not struggling but I am not that great, about 80% in each class. Putting in a lot of work to study. Honestly memorizing taxons and cladograms for everything sucks.

Thinking about just switching to liberal arts and getting out of college as quick as I can. Because I am not work and neither is my wife, I don't know if we can make it without us both working full time.

>> No.6799528

>>6793066
GO TO SLEEP MR. BEAVERS

>> No.6799542

>>6791639
Shitty. Topology turned out to be a lot harder than expected, senior seminar is unexpectedly giving me a huge work load, and the Math GRE is coming up.

On the other hand, I got a 100 on my first PDE test.

My last year as a Math major turned out to be not so much of a cake walk, even when I already completed all my core and major classes.

>> No.6799548

>>6798961
Calc 3 is piss easy. It's LITERALLY calc 1 with an extra variable and some easy formulas. If you have a good sense of three dimensional space, you could come up with the solution to a problem on your own without memorization.

>> No.6799661

>>6798961
no it's easy as shit. just learn how to do the 10 types of problems that comes on the exam.

>> No.6799672

2 electives +

Number Theory
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis

Never had this much math before in a single semester and I'm finding it really hard to stay on top of things and stay interested. It's like a never-ending gauntlet of problem sets. Just when I think I've caught a break I get hammered.

Any tips?

>> No.6799753

>>6794554
Are you me? I'm in my last year of Economics. I loved micro/macro, calc1&2, Stat1&2, and all the advanced courses such as Monetary and Political Economics. Models are beautiful, I get simply overwhelmed during lessons. I'm following a few Econometrics courses and the more I get deep into it, the more I realise I love the math part: the way math is applied in Economics may seem superficial but I really love the fact that every variable has a tons of implications, and all the factors are correlated in some way.

NEVERTHELESS, I have to take all those stupid fucking casual banal hideous business courses. Let alone Marketing, which I deeply loathe. I also dislike the cool attitude my classmates flaunt. Those filthy animals started Uni believing they'll have a mansion and a boat because they can understand Financial Markets and the like. I hate my classmates, honestly because the don't get as excited as me about the mathematical part of Economics.

I too wish I would have gone into Actuarial sciences. Damn it.

>> No.6799796

I wish I would've taken my math course long-distance. :-\

>> No.6799833

>>6799753
>doing business econ
>not BS math/BA econ masterrace

I know that feel though bro, I felt like in most of my econ classes, like 80-90% of the students were mathematically illiterate morons who didn't really understand the shit and were basically business majors just doing it for a good business job, with the remaining minority actual smart kids interested in learning the theory and concepts and capable of doing math. Fortunately my school had a non-business econ option that left plenty of room for other classes so I could double major and didn't have to take management or marketing.

>I too wish I would have gone into Actuarial sciences. Damn it.
Don't be so sure of that man. The math is really easy and sure it leads to really high paying relatively easy jobs. But you aren't actually studying broad concepts or how things work or anything, you are pretty specifically focusing on how to design insurance policies to make money, it's a pretty dry field. But, you can make like 300k with 5 years experience and your FSA so it's not like it's bad.

>> No.6799841

>>6799672
haven't you figured out that college is just a giant hazing period?

its like 4 years of academic bootcamp where your professors are intentionally looking for ways to make you feel like a dumbass.

>> No.6799847

>>6798584
as a high school drop out who started in remedial ass 050 math, i will tell you that college algebra is more difficult than calc 2, 3, or Diff Eq.

>> No.6799879

>>6799847
This isn't the class being more difficult, this is the first class you take in college being difficult because it is hard to handle the transition from high school level "Are you retarded: A. Yes B. No C. Definitely D. potatoe" classwork to college where you have to actually do things.

I did BC calc in high school and took Calc 3 my first semester and got a B- and had a way, way harder time than in calc BC, not because the material is harder but because the class difficulty went up so much.

>> No.6799969

>>6799879
if BC was so hard then why take calc 3? with a B- you clearly weren't ready

>> No.6800161

Not great. Took a year off community college to take care of myself after being diagnosed with severe clinical depression, struggling to find momentum again. Worst part is that I pulled subpar grades due to the depression the semester before I left, so I actually have to perform exceptionally well now to make up for it. Calc 3 is boringly easy, so is English, Physics concepts are whatthefuck tier to my fogged up brain.

>> No.6800167
File: 7 KB, 250x245, 1397171608527.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791639

>tfw fell behind in my 300 level computer science courses
>having to skip TCP labs to do homework and prep for an exam the same day as the lab due date

welp this is what I get for being a lazy fuck. But still having a fuck huge partner lab due the day of an exam is bullshit.

I fucking hope this shit gets used in my life time if I actually get this god damn degree.

>> No.6800192

>>6799969
what? BC was easy as hell and I got a 5 on the exam in junior year of high school, I was only using it as an example because most people who take the entire calc sequence in college find calc 2 is a lot harder than calc 3, but the college version of calc 3 is hella harder than the highschool version of calc 2.

>> No.6800221

>>6791639
Pretty well considering I graduated a while ago

>> No.6800230
File: 227 KB, 477x355, Obama-shrug.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791639
Taking:
Thermodynamics - Japanese professor (talks with his back to the class in broken English) I just read the book.

Particle - Bad-fucking-ass

Applied QM (semester 2) - Fast paced, but interesting, getting killed though (somewhere in the B range) :(

Advanced lab - Babby's first science experiment

Sociology - Life sucks here

And working in the ECR lab trying to make it work again.

>> No.6800256
File: 38 KB, 232x197, 1365708001809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am living with an absolutely gorgeous girl as a brand new flatmate and my body dysmorphia recently just kicked in these past few days, full pelt, and I am finding it hard to hide my anxiety.

JDIMSA.

>> No.6800274

I'm in Mobile Development and have a Finite Math course and have no fucking idea what I'm doing/

>> No.6800282

>>6791639
like shit, if you only have a passive interest in computers then for the love of fuck do not do an undergrad computing course, sure the money is good eventually but you will probably kill yourself by 40

>> No.6800550

>>6799661
Looking back probably makes it easy for you, or you were just good at math. Im not to strong in math (by engineering standards) so I have to work a bit harder than normal people to achieve lower than average grades. But I still enjoy doing the problems and that sense of satisfaction of finally completing a problem youve been stuck on.

>> No.6800722

>>6800161

Hang in there dude. Don't let a few subpar marks stop you from doing well.

>> No.6800733

First semester as a biotech major. Lowest grade I've gotten so far is an 80. So things are going pretty well but I still should step my game up a bit since I'm pursuing a doctorate in virology. I just need to stay on top of chemistry since that shit is going to pick up soon I'm guessing.

>> No.6800964

>>6800722
Thanks man. I'm pretty discouraged by my situation but that honestly helped.

>> No.6801886

>>6799172
Update: I got an offer for a bitch work internship and for something along the lines of idea development for some shit, I still don't know if they're fucking with me.

>> No.6801903

>German 1

Actually a lot of fun, not sure if I'm just good at learning it naturally or something but studying German is genuinely relaxing. Also have a mid 20's qt teacher (small class no TA/LA).

>Statistics

Pretty much just intro to Probability Theory, I like it. Never took Stat in high school but it's a lot easier than Calc for me. Professor is a bro tier African guy who seriously loves teaching.

>Networking

Easy ass shit that's pretty boring, but at least we learned SQL which I never would have done on my own. Anyone know if a college kid can get a part time job using this?

>Cryptography

Pretty bad ass class, deciphering shit is awesome.

>Intro to Java

Major requirement, too easy but teacher is good. I'm probably the only person in the 40 person class who doesn't steal their code from StackOverflow though.

>> No.6802844

Pretty good. I've got Structural Geology (faults and joints and folds and stresses and all that good stuff) which is not that bad, Introduction to Paleontology which is also not bad at all (and I think we are going to be able to process a plesiosaur skull that our instructor has in the fossil prep lab later this semester, fun stuff), Introductory Chemistry I aka High School Chemistry 2: Electric Boogaloo, and Philosophy of Human Nature (which I should have taken fresh/soph year but didn't because it sounded awful, and is). Junior geology major. Already got my physics requirement out of the way freshman year. Currently not taking any math courses for my minor because diffeq isn't offered til next semester, nor is our intro to set theory course. Small private school problems.

Excited for this summer, as I will hopefully have an internship doing geochem/petrographic research on some volcanic and plutonic rocks associated with a supereruption. Gonna be neat

>> No.6802853

I went to a club and met some cool people and even got invited to an event. Other than that, integrated control systems is peeing all over my face. Quiz Monday. (Yes Monday, our professor is making us come in on a public holiday to take a stupid quiz and give a lecture for 4 hours that no one ever listens to)

>> No.6802867

I'm in Fine Arts. Hella fun, but I'm considering switching to science.

>> No.6802893

Has anyone here skipped the majority of the first half of a semester and successfully passed the course?

>> No.6802901

>>6802893
I went to a poli sci class exactly 5 times and got a B (fucking don't know how, because I got a 20/20 on the only paper we had to write and a 38/40 on our first of two exams) I must have dont pretty shitty on the second exam or the jew prof just didn't like the fact that i never went to class. the worst part was it was an entirely discussion based course. no readings, no homework, and all the discussion topics were just picked by a student at the beginning of class that day.

>> No.6802904

>>6802893
every single humanities course.

>> No.6802918

First year physics major, except I'm not actually in physics because I declared my major after the quarter started so I couldn't add the class

Right now I'm in:
>Calc 2
Online class, pretty easy so far, looks like I've learned most of the material already

>The Film Experience
Looked like easy general ed credits, and has been so far

>Comparative Politics
This is what I'm in instead of physics, again for general ed credits. I didn't really take any real poli sci classes in high school and the lectures have been pretty fast so far so this might get tough if I don't pay attention

>Ethical Foundations
Mandatory for all first years at my college, only one lecture so far but it was pretty shit, they're trying to do a 500 person "seminar"

>> No.6802941

3rd year Physics/Math major here. Everything seems alright so far although I can't really tell because I've only had two tests.

>Quantum Mechanics II
The class is easy as hell and unfortunately, the professor is an extremely boring, but a nice guy. Well, at least you get the big picture.

>Partial Differential Equations
This shit is hard and barely makes sense. Well at least the whole class is struggling together.

>Intermediate Analysis
Really easy compared to Abstract Algebra.

>Complex Analysis
Pretty interesting actually. The professor is a really cool guy and there's a lot of surprising theorems about complex numbers that let you do some fascinating things. It's a pretty good class; not too difficult, but you do have to think a little bit.

>Classical Mechanics
Not terribly hard, but damn, this class is annoying. I miss simple, easy systems.

>> No.6802949

>>6802941
>Partial Differential Equations
fuck, I have to take PDEs next semester and I hate math courses at my uni. at least I've had plenty of exposure to PDEs in other classes but I don't like the very zoomed-out abstract nature of math explanations with definitions and all that shit. like I know what a del operator is and a laplacian and how to go about problems with them in stuff like neutronics or plasma phys but put a simple problem from a math course in from of me and it's like 5 times more difficult for me, not to mention piss boring

>> No.6802972

math/phys, third year here
just had 3 assts and 4 midterms in 4 days
fucking mentally wiped
3 assts due next week too :(

>> No.6803004

>>6802941
What year are you?

>> No.6803121

3rd year Computer Science major. So far so good, can't complain.

>Advanced Applications of C
The class is nice it's just the idea of structs and pointers is something I need to get used to since I am coming straight from JAVA.

>Digital Circuitry and Design
Learning ALL the Boolean Algebra.

>Calculus II
The teacher sucks but the class itself isn't so heard however I have heard that sequence and series will either make me or break me so I am preparing my anus.

>Artificial Intelligence
I love this class I am specializing in Machine Learning and so this class is so much fun. The teacher is Chinese and has a very strong accent. But the homework on search trees and heuristics is awesome.

>> No.6803127

>>6803121
Sorry I can't engrish this late at night
>Calculus II
The teacher sucks but the class itself isn't so hard however I have heard that sequences and series will either make me or break me so I am preparing my anus.

>> No.6803153

>>6792739
>>6792453

3rd year Biochem here. probably a little late to respond.

first year classes are utter bullshit. barely any thinking unless you have good professors. organic chem, cell biology, p-chem, and biochem is where you start thinking through a problem. As a matter of fact, the question you were expecting sounds like something that would be on my biochem test.

>> No.6803165

>>6795298

I tutor o-chem and this guy >>6795317 has it right.

it's all the premeds who do the bitching about chem.

>> No.6803236

>>6795298
For me, O chem is pretty difficult. I get the subject well, but my professor makes very difficult exams. I always get A's but I find it very stressful and I don't like it.

>> No.6803239

>>6792739
Knowing what alpha and beta glucose are is a very very basic concept. Remember in elementary school you asked 'but mawwwwwmmmmmmm why do i need to learn fractions?'

>> No.6803246

First year, engineering problem solving. We're going to stop working with the Arduinos starting next week which bothers me as I enjoy programming.

>> No.6803722
File: 81 KB, 250x250, Guts.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6795317
>mfw I have to take all 3.

>> No.6803860

>>6803239
Except thats not a concept it's a fact. Not that he shouldn't have memorized but your fraction example doesnt work.

>> No.6803895

>>6791639

>trimesters

Stupid university decided to switch to a trimester system instead of a semester system. Although the catch is that Trimester 1 and 2 are treated the same as the old semesters, each trimester containing the same study load as a semester, but a rather large portion of time is taken away so we're basically having to cram the same shit into ~2/3 of the time. For a full time undergrad study load, we take 4 classes per trimester, 8 per year and get the third trimester (summer) off, but also have the option of picking up extra classes to either do something new and different or get ahead of the curve and knock out a few classes in our degrees ahead of the coming year.

Currently in the middle of sitting finals for this trimester. Organic chemistry exam on monday, and I'm stressed to the fucking max. This shit is not easy.

With trimesters, we're effectively given 3 weeks of time per class on a full-time study load. Someone tell me that i'm not crazy in saying that this shit is fucked?

>> No.6803927

>>6791639

I thought I'd get better about procrastinating by now but I don't even make the lesson plans until the night before the class.

>> No.6803929

>>6803895
That sounds absolutely retarded, someone is gonna get fired.

>> No.6803953

>>6803895
>With trimesters, we're effectively given 3 weeks of time per class on a full-time study load. Someone tell me that i'm not crazy in saying that this shit is fucked?
at my school it was pretty much expected for you to take 5 classes per semester rather than 4 unless you were a slacker or business major, semesters were 15 weeks long so that works out to 3 weeks per class

an actual trimester system sounds retarded as fuck though considering the normal 'semester' system has a like 12-14 week semester over summer, you are gaining basically nothing, a few extra weeks in your optional summer semester most people dont take for less class time, sounds stupid as hell. >>6803929 is completely ridiculous though, administrators don't get fired for coming up with ridiculously stupid schemes that inconvenience tens of thousands of people without accomplishing anything or there wouldn't be so many jobs for them in the first place.

>> No.6804525

>Semester starts, taking both Diff Equations and Calc3
>People said Diff equations was hard and Calc 3 was easy
>Have fist midterm for both classes
>get rekt in Calc 3, rek Diff Equations

To be fair the calc 3 teacher is notorious for giving extremely hard exams. This goes for when he teaches diff equations too.