[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 224 KB, 1048x1487, ebolachan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6789206 No.6789206[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so with all this hysteria over ebola, I have a question. Why haven't we had an epidemic in such a long time? I mean, the world is pretty much interconnected now, so shouldn't we see the spread of viruses at a much more common rate?
Why haven't we seen a black plague, or a bubonic plague etc?

>> No.6789208

We're seeing it right now.

Get a fuckin space suit and hunker down

Ebola is fuckin real

>> No.6789215

>>6789208
But for the most part, It's pretty minor.
I'm talking about a virus that infects massive amounts of people (+10000 casualties)

>> No.6789216

HIV?

Anyone, the main answer is that all developed countries have become very very good at containing them.

>> No.6789219

Soap was invented.

>> No.6789223

>>6789219
>Soap was invented.

Also, not shitting in the street.

>> No.6789224

>>6789219
Is this why? Soap really stops us from having a world-changing plague like they had in europe?

>> No.6789227

fucking lel. black plague couldn't kill us, and that was BEFORE SANITATION WAS A WORD. anyone thinking this is a thing should be certified as a downy.

>> No.6789230

>>6789224
yes it does actually. and it wasn't world changing. i bet you think the armenian genocide was world changing too.

>> No.6789241

>>6789224

Nah, but it helps.

>> No.6789243

>>6789230
>and it wasn't world changing.

This is weird shitposting.

>> No.6789250

>Why haven't we had an epidemic in such a long time?

What the fuck are you talking about? We had SARS, H1N1, West nile virus, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus and soon enterovirus d68.

Not to mention HIV and the common cold.

>> No.6789256

>>6789243
>no funcitonal exinction
>world changing

pick one. if it didn't work in the 1500s, how in the fuck would it work in an age where you can buy purell for $2.00 in bulk at costco? you have nothing to back this up.

>> No.6789288

>>6789256

So your minimum requirement for "world changing" is the extinction of the human species? Wow, you're retarded.

>> No.6789291

>>6789288
what part of world population and world changing does your brain not grasp? you're the only retard here. there's no change going on. do you know how many people die each year from mass murder,AIDS,etc in underdeveloped nations? no? then shut up. you just want to be hyped about some epic meme.

>> No.6789351

>>6789227
americans are not sanitary

>> No.6789407

>>6789215
>I'm talking about a virus that infects massive amounts of people (+10000 casualties)
That's a pretty low bar for a plague. Your normal, garden variety flu strain kills 3.5x that number every year. Rabies manages to rack up 55,000 kills a year somehow. Hepatitis-C kills 400,000 per year. And while it's not a virus, malaria kills 1 million people each year.

Anyway, the reason we don't get population-decimating epidemics anymore is because we've gotten really good at controlling the spread of diseases. Look at smallpox. Extremely contagious, and yet it was wiped out thanks to modern containment strategies and vaccinations. If a person came down with the virus, they were immediately isolated and everyone within 50 miles was also quarantined and vaccinated. Sure, a novel epidemic wouldn't have a vaccine, but those isolation procedures are still super effective. Contrast this ebola outbreak to past outbreaks like the 1918 flu or bubonic plague or cholera. Used to be that people had no idea how everyone was getting sick, and a single person could walk around unknowingly infecting hundreds of people until they finally died, and then all of those people would do the same thing. But now if someone gets sick they're identified quickly, isolated, and then you have at least one government agency who starts tracking down every single step that person took while contagious to find every single person they could have possibly come into contact with, isolate those people, and if necessary isolate everyone they came into contact with, and they can do all of this in a matter of days.

Medical science has also gotten really good at combating diseases. Case in point: we still have bubonic plague, it infects people every year, but people rarely die of it anymore because of antibiotics.

>> No.6789803

>>6789351

I am a sanitary American who can confirm this. I've seen people coughing all into their hands touching produce and putting it back.

This is also why I can see ebola fucking up the U.S.

;-;

>> No.6790367

>>6789206
>Why haven't we had an epidemic in such a long time?

public health has improved dramatically in the 20th century. malnutritioun is practically unheard of in the west. vaccines have exterminated heavy-hitting diseases like smallpox.

vastly improved hygiene standards also dramatically help with disease control. not just personal hygiene, but especially industrial hygiene in places where food is handled and in hospitals.

large-scale sewer systems and garbage collection keep waste and garbage from accumulating, effectively removing a major breeding ground for all sorts of vermin and associated diseases.

last but not least, medicine has improved drastically, offering solutions and even cures for diseases that were running rampant throughout history.

the last major 'epidemic' is HIV, and the main reason for its success is its very low lethality.
infected subjects often aren't aware of their infection for years, which leaves them ignorant to the fact that they're spreading the disease.

>> No.6790377

>>6789803

Ebola does not spread by areosol

>> No.6790386

Mostly public health like everyone else has said. Less exposure to breeding grounds for bacteria, ie no sewage in the streets, effective disposal of rotting organic matter and clean water, plus advancements in treatment through antibiotics. There's also the ability of vectors to develop defenses against the diseases caused by carriers. For example, there's a theory that the rats who carried the fleas started developing more defenses to the bacteria which allowed them to stay alive so the fleas wouldn't hop off and feed on filthy peasants who would fuck and spit like cockney scum.

Even this Ebola shit going around right now isn't much to worry about as long as you take basic precautions. Remember, the most effective key against an epidemic is knowledge.

>> No.6790419

>>6789250
topkek

>> No.6790423

>>6790377
then how did the doctors who make sure not to get in contact with traditional source get sick?
protip: it does spread like that,

>> No.6790426

>>6790423
patients vomiting up blood, coming in contact with that shit will get you infected fast

>> No.6790438

>>6790426
>implying doctors don't use protection

>> No.6790445

>>6790438
>wear breath mask
>lean over patient for inspection
>suddenly, bloody vomit violently erupts from patients mouth, splattering all over doctors face

unless you're in a full-body hazmat suit, that will get you infected. and i dont think all the doctors use hazmat suits in nigeria.

>> No.6790460

>>6790445
welp, im done

>> No.6790468

>>6790460
good, what you were saying was fucking retarded

>> No.6790495

>>6790468
Fuck you, why dont you go to tumblr with this kind of bullshit attitude.

>> No.6790536

>>6790495
the fuck are you on about

you don't understand that patients who are already in the final stages of the disease are severely contagious because the symptoms of ebola make you leak blood and pus from every orifice imaginable?

you don't understand that medical staff who are dealing with this kind of thing on a daily basis can easily contract the disease, even though the disease is not at all contagious during the incubation period?

then he's right to call you a retard by all means. if you can't handle the banter then it's probably you who should leave this place for tumblr, where everybody tiptoes around words you might find offensive due to the ptsd you acquired when visiting 4chan once

>> No.6790557

What if ebola becomes hyperebola?
NE1 C WUT I DID THERE?

>> No.6790646

>>6789224
Yes, believe it or not. Also sewage systems, well fed population, vaccines and antibiotics.

>> No.6791360

>>6790377

I was under the impression it could be spread through all liquids from a person. Sweat, blood, mucus, vomit, semen.

>> No.6791368

>>6789206
The person who drew this must feel really special.

>> No.6791418

What kind of trait would a disease need to evolve to get that would give it an edge over modern society as is? Not counting shit currently in existence like sex-transmitted immunodeficiency shit, I mean standard plagues.

>> No.6791421

>>6791368

I think the person who drew this and spread it was a retard. Not because it's offensive but because the media could have easily given anime/anime art a black eye.

I remember a time when several news papers and websites covered a story about some disturbed kid who drew pictures that included final fantasy summons. Talking about near trace drawings were signs of psychological problems.

>> No.6791425

>>6791368
It was just some guy on some art site for funzies. Then /pol/ or /a/ found it. Not sure who first.

>> No.6791431

>>6791421
>the media could have easily given anime/anime art a black eye
Because it's viewed so positively now.

>> No.6791696
File: 79 KB, 633x758, tfw bent data.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, guys, I had a mental episode over this. I was frantically asking my mom why we have no supplies, telling her how that guy was in contact with and spread it despite not showing symptoms. I was telling her how it was already all over the country according to the news of possible cases. I kept telling her about the CDC and its damage control, and how the media are calming us down instead of hyping it up, and how the bankers are controlling the population with it. It was a textbook psychotic episode.
Is /pol/'s hype warranted? Why is it so hyped there? Is there a lick of truth? Is it worse than we're being told? Will society collapse?
I don't have a healthy grip on my sanity.

>> No.6791708

>>6789206

>what is modern medicine
>what are the countless measures put into place to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including but not limited to border control, quarantine procedures and epidemiology.

>> No.6791714

>>6789215
Have you forgotten the swine flu from a couple of years ago?

It had pretty low death rates, like 1% of infected people died, and it killed tens of thousands.

It showed how badly prepared the world is to response to a highly contagious infection.

>> No.6791749

>>6790557
i c wot u did there, lel

>> No.6791761

>>6791696
Swine flu, bird flu, ebola, h1n1 blabla... Its just a buch of assholes that wants to make money by telling people what to think and how to behave (we need 100 million to stop ebola kek).

The typical flu kills 10x more people every year than any of this made up shit and no one goes crazy about that.

Dont believe every shit thats in the news.

I remember drawing a red circle around a random nigger when the boston bombings happend and the next day that pic it was all over the news.

http://m.bbc.com/news/technology-22214511

>> No.6792267
File: 2.02 MB, 1205x1060, WE_ALL_GONNA_DIE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6791714

>Have you forgotten the swine flu from a couple of years ago?

>It had pretty low death rates, like 1% of infected people died, and it killed tens of thousands.

>It showed how badly prepared the world is to response to a highly contagious infection.

We can look this stuff up now, you know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic#Epidemiology

>> No.6792283

>>6792267
>Did Hong Kong's chickens die in vain?

every time

>> No.6792343

>>6789407
The flu kills the elderly and people with immuno deficiency disorders, malaria IMO is plague tier, I don't know why Hepatitis and Rabies have such high kill counts though.

>> No.6792427

>>6789206
The Black Plague spread because people used to live in disgusting conditions. No plumbing, didn't wash hands, were in constant contact or close living conditions with other people. Plus people didn't understand or know about the concept of germs. They'd probably explain it with demons and shit.

It's not nessisarily that people are much brighter today but people today understand the concepts of germs and why shitting in a toilet is better than shitting in a bucket and tossing it out into the street where everyone else's shit is.

>> No.6792881

Fukushima radiation in the global environment weakening immunity..

>> No.6792892
File: 133 KB, 1007x724, 1412468011642.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's time to officially start shitting your pants! If you're scared of ebola, you have a reason to.

1) head of CDC says that "Travel ban would make outbreak worse" (insane idiot).

2) pic related.

>> No.6792959

>>6789803

I knew staff at a supermarket who would think nothing of sneezing and coughing over unwrapped produce. I suspect sometimes it was also deliberate.The staff were poorly treated by customers and supervisors, on minimum wage, and if sick were expected to produce a doctors note for even a one day absence ( you are feeling really sick with a flu, you know the doctor cant do squat about, but you must drag yourself off across town to a doctor, pay him about the same amount of money for a 15 minute visit as you make in a day, having waited to see him for an hour. You go back to work the next day, still feeling sick, where you spend all day having asshole customers give you shit about stuff that is not your fault, get bawled out by supervisors who create the problems in the first place, all so you can make a minimum wage and struggel to pay the rent on your damp, cold shithole of a place to live.

Now seriosly, do you think these people give a shit about you or anyone else? Spreading their diseases, flu, colds or whatever onto the rest of the population that so clearily doesnt give a damn about them is a form of passive agression, and the only course of payback that these poor shitty people have in their lives.

>> No.6792964

>>6792892
omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!