[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 154 KB, 524x685, 1409463905799.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6760052 No.6760052 [Reply] [Original]

>tfw shit at math
>tfw will never be a STEMfag
What does it feel to be smart and happy, /sci/ ?

>> No.6760058

>smart and happy
It's more like 'constantly trying to keep your head above the water' while feeling like an impostor who doesn't deserve to be there.

The only thing that makes me remotely happy is looking at people on my course who I think are stupider than I am.

>> No.6760095

>>6760052

What's the point though? Have you ever actually looked at scientific papers? If you can find one that is even vaguely interesting, I'll give you a million pounds.

Pro-tip: science isn't a load of eureka moments by geniuses, it's obsessive autists who give a shit about stuff that is impossible to care about while grinding away

>> No.6760099

No one here is smart.
No one here is happy.

This board seems to be dedicated to bragging about being in the Ivy League or Oxbridge. Oh yeah, there is a lot of IQ bragging on this board too.

Feel happy OP since it doesn't matter if you're in STEM or you're not. Maybe this is just because if I won a nobel prize I would seriously consider throwing it in the trash after the ceremony though.

I apologize for this poorly written mess. Anyway, OP, stop caring so much.

>> No.6760106

>>6760095
>If you can find one that is even vaguely interesting, I'll give you a million pounds.

the reason why people become scientists is that they find those papers interesting, you need some knowledge to appreciate those anyway.

>What does it feel to be smart and happy, /sci/ ?

Dunno mate, physics fag here, I'm constantly feeling stupid after every lesson I go back home and feel like a total moron, still after every exam passed I feel like "I've got that", and then in that field I feel less like a moron (for example now I love statistics and really like to discuss about it), it's constantly challenging, the only people who really feel smart are those that drop out after one or two years

>> No.6760107

>>6760052

>smart and happy

Yeah, right. It's just AWESOME being a fucking autist. Don't deceive yourself; we're all dealing with our own problems. I can't talk to people unless it's about math, girls are attracted to me physically and then instantly hit the road when they start talking to me. I'm about to publish my proof of the Collatz conjecture, and I can't even get laid.

Enjoy your normalcy, based anon.

>> No.6760110

>>6760052
>smart
Being that is a constant rat race , you'll fall behind by staying still. Although having nothing left to learn is probably worse.

>happy
No well adjusted person is constantly happy , its fleeting feeling and then everything goes back to normal.

>> No.6760113

>>6760107

autist =/= smart, you stupid autist

>> No.6760122

>>6760107
>everyone is just as miserable as me

>> No.6760156
File: 1.17 MB, 1453x769, 1409458146761.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760107
>being so much obsessed with vaginal jew
>>6760095
True, the majority are boring but still are more interesting than most stuff outside of STEM.
>>6760099
I care because it's the only career path that
interests me and suits my personality but I can't pursue it because I goofed around in math classes in middle school and early high school.I fucked up my life.

>> No.6760174

>tfw shit at math
>still studying it anyway

>> No.6760176

>>6760052

>Smart
>Happy

Pick only one. Highly-accurate memory and above-average IQ both correlate with depression.

>> No.6760277
File: 299 KB, 800x800, 1398366937174.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6761017
> girls are attracted to me physically and then instantly hit the road when they start talking to me.

The feels are too real

>> No.6760285

To be honest, it doesn't matter if one has a double Ph.D or is 'smart'. If you are happy you are, otherwise no amount of knowledge can give you happiness. We don't live forever. We just live for the moment. So for one minute you may feel happy and proud and then the next you may be depressed.

>> No.6760287

>>6760277
>tfw the exact opposite
If girls talk to me about stupid stuff, I never look back no matter how attractive.

>> No.6760289

>>6760052
Unless you literally can't understand math, like with that math dyslexia BS that apparently exists, then you really have no excuse to not cram through math. You probably won't make it in something like physics, but there's nothing stopping you from being something like a lab assistant somewhere.

>> No.6760307

>>6760052
>smart and happy
You can either be smart and unhappy and dumb and happy.
And you can't even choose.

>> No.6760433

>>6760289
Easy to say when I have math loops since 5 grade and am diagnosed with ADHD(if you believe it exists).I was thinking of studying Biochemistry but I am afraid I'd fail it due to Math.Damnit I'm so jealous of you fuckers being good at Math.

>> No.6760443

>>6760052
Do you plan on going to Uni? Are you at Uni?

If you're driven enough you can basically cover all the math you did in high school in like a month.

>> No.6760453

At my university you can study most science fields and only have to the the calculus sequence and differential equations. None of those classes are too difficult and there's a lot of help avaliable.

Also being a math and comp sci fag, I really haven't any one too socially retarted. There are the occasional fedora's in computer science because "it is the intelictually superior major and has good potential." But in reality they can't tell the difference between c++ and python

>> No.6760456
File: 158 KB, 209x193, honk.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760433
I have ADHD and have been hospitalized for depressive danger stuff at least four times.

I am a Mensan and was introduced to algebra before I was in school.

I am working on my Industrial Engineering Bachelor's only limited by money, and I spend time tutoring math and science. Psychopathic tendencies make tutoring more fun.

You have no excuse, get on that shit.
>the secret is fast sensory processing won't make useless thoughts go away, but you will go through them fast enough to get to relevant things

>mfw people think I'm smart and not that I go through stupid shit 2-3x faster than they do.

>> No.6760464

>>6760456
lel gotta go fast

>> No.6760469
File: 99 KB, 739x665, SVM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I neglected my Algebra and Calculus, now all the karma piled up.
I like Artificial intelligent related fields but my math is fucking suck and I can't understand any equation in those papers. Pic related, I can't understand it at all, I know its purpose, but not how it works.
What do.

>> No.6760471
File: 172 KB, 400x325, ayylameo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760307

>> No.6760484

>>6760443
Yeah planning going to Uni next year

>>6760456
I'm not a genius like you, edgelord

>> No.6760492

>>6760484
Guess what happens when you process stuff faster.
>fragmented thoughts become more fleshed out
>ideas can be reprocessed and segmented quickly
>mismatched ideas can be aligned more quickly, by more justifications
>internal systems for organizing information can be used more quickly and more robustly
>you can process incoming information and switch attention to organizing it without having a period of 'rest' in-between
>despite old memories still corroding over time, they're more integrated and had more detail to begin with, so they're easier and more accurate when recalled later
I still have ten-second attention and my memories have no chronal sense associated with them. (I'm still constantly missing appointments and literally lost a planner I started using, for months)

People horribly underestimate the value of fast sensory processing, and how much it is trainable.

>> No.6760495

>>6760052

>implying any of us will ever know that feel

>> No.6760497

If I had a higher IQ I would take an interest in math.

>> No.6760499

>>6760156
Yes, you can, guy.

Just come to Argentina, university here is free and doesn't really depend on your grades in high school. Fuck, if you're 25 or more you can go without having ever went to high school.

It's pretty neat, and the level doesn't suck.

>> No.6760507

>>6760499
es gratis? no te creo, otra razón para envidiarles.

also why do you equate being smart with being good at maths?

>> No.6760509

>>6760507
Paid for by the taxpayer. One of the little things I love from my country.

>> No.6760514

>>6760110
>No well adjusted person is constantly happy
LMFAO

Yea no one "well adjusted" to this incredibly soulless cubicle modern world is constantly happy. You're right.

>> No.6760517

>>6760484
>Yeah planning going to Uni next year

So you're still in high school now? If so, you can still catch up and get good grades in your last year. Like this anon said >>6760289, as long as you're not completely fucking retarded then you can cram through it. You just need to bite the bullet and put in a little time and effort. Nothing in life comes easy, except a job at McDonalds.

>> No.6760522

dude I'm 32, I moved to another country, and I have to validate my highschool shit, so I'm doing stuff I did back in the 90s, the brain's a little rusty, but it's absolutely plausible

YOU JUST GOTTA WANT IT

>> No.6760525

>>6760471
unless you're a scheming j00 screwing over dumb goys all day
smart & happy! not very good for society though

>> No.6760529

>>6760471
Why is it exponential?

>> No.6760531
File: 52 KB, 378x500, 51KRC59V0IL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6760532

>>6760529
being a normalcool is suffering

>> No.6760542

>>6760531
I got the linear algebra one in the mail last night, and I already have the Database
It's cute and fun and a good review of the shit (I completely forgot how to find the nullspace of shit)

>> No.6760563

>>6760517
I'm a NEET.Currently learning driver license.I have good Biology, Chemistry and English leaving examination scores under my belt.People from my school who got similar or same like me score from Math exam are studying stuff like Cookery, Forestry or Tourism lel.That's how I am shit at math.

>>6760525
Being good at Math is a proof that someone is smart
>inb4 math is just hard work

>>6760492
Idk what you're talking about.

>>6760499
It's free here too and doesn't really depend on the grades too.In fact I could've been accepted to study any engineering/technology field for free.
>>6760522
Where did you move from to and why?

>> No.6760583

>>6760563
>Idk what you're talking about.
>I'm not a genius like you, edgelord
There are two ways to be a "genius". One is to remember instructions and follow orders properly, the other is to think quickly and use a lot of integrated and reliable information.

Only like 20% of intelligence is something inherent, the rest is interest and diligence.

>> No.6760590

>>6760583
>Only like 20% of intelligence is something inherent
sauce.And I don't get why you talked about processing stuff faster

>> No.6760603

>>6760563
Then try it! I remember failing a lot at maths back in secondary school, but now that I'm in Uni I'm on fire! Seriously, there's no way to know if you aren't willing to try it!

>> No.6760608

Anon, I hope my post changes your life.

I used to hate math. In fact, I sometimes still do. I used to think (and feel) that math "wasn't my thing." Instead, I got very good marks in English, etc. but not math/science, only average. For unrelated reasons, I dropped out of high school and homeschooled. By the time I came out, I was very good at math, developed a connection with the subject as if none of the above were true, and almost consider myself more of a math person now. Whether or not you're good at a subject is a measure of how much you've practiced it. Love or affinity of a subject is a measure of how much positive feedback you've gotten from the subject, which in turn depends on how good you are at it (simply put, you will like the subject once you get better at it, you will get better at it by practice). Practice isn't simply time invested in the subject, but effective time. For example, if you have a shitty textbook that you don't really understand, it will take you ages and you'll hate it. Find a textbook that seems very intuitive and easy to follow, then invest ample time studying the subject, read every word, and DO A GOOD AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS. Do this for a couple math classes (2-3) and you'll totally turn yourself around, I guarantee you.

Honestly, try Thinkwell's videos. That's a good place to start, pretty good math videos, dunno bout the other stuff (torrent the whole collection if you want). After that, I remember spivak's calculus being pretty good, but I've always been fond of "Paul's online notes." Moreover, just try a bunch of free textbooks that you can find for one that makes sense to you, then you need to understand all the "why's" so that math for you is about understanding concepts, not memorizing formulas (almost every formula should have some sort of intuition for you!). Moreover, getting good at doing the problems is a test of this and getting good marks will make you like the subject and you will see yourself as more of a math person

>> No.6760618

>>6760590
1) People want intelligence to be something inherent, when they're too lazy to learn about being smart, and too lazy to put effort into it. To put an actual number on it would require incredibly controlled studies (like a twin study which had two kids in the same city, near eachother, one given to a rich family of a race, and the other given to an impoverished family of the same race, whether or not it was their race with which to begin. To actually expect numbers on this is retarded.

2) When you process senses more accurately and more quickly, you think better and remember better. It makes everything easier. People want stupid, fast, easy things to make them smarter, but being smarter takes time and increasingly complicated efforts, but the benefits come out in being a superior thinker to most people.

To be honest you sound like you have Aspergers, Autism, or are immature.

>> No.6760627

I was bad in math like all my friends, hated homework, etc.
Then someone introduced me to programming, and eventually math. I only seriously got into it around the age of 18 yet I'm leagues ahead of others in my program. All I see in people who struggle in math and logic-based courses now is a tendency to just quit because they've already decided they're not smart enough. I see people who will never have that big "click" where the general thinking skills of math finally make sense and life suddenly becomes easier.

>> No.6760641

>>6760627
Have you read your SICP today?

>> No.6760644

>>6760608
>paul's online notes

as a non gifted mathematician just completed a maths degree i can't recommend this enough

also PatrickJMT Youtube vids

>> No.6760755

I'm thinking of going into STEM but I heard on /pol/ that stem is "retarded as it is saturated" any truth to this?

>> No.6761241

>>6760058
yes. i legitimately feel like a complete retard. this is all in spite of having a perfect major gpa, being selected to be a graduate assistant, and being offered a research assistantship all at age 19. math is just hard as fuck dude, some of it comes easy but the rest takes a lot of work to understand. this is double true when doing research, there's tons of crazy stuff no one has thought of and you feel like a blind idiot looking around in a dark room, trying to figure out what everything is by touching it.

>>6760107
then talk to girls who major in math

>>6760174
everyone is shit at math, anon. some are just more shit than others.

>>6760608
yes. i started in the lowest level math course my senior year of high school and was halfway planning on majoring in arts. i was fucking retarded back then, but that's another story for another time. anyways, i took the lowest level course because i hated math. little did i know that theoretical math exists and there are interesting explainations for everything and all kinds of new puzzles. once i found that out i dropped that class and took our calc class, constantly reading about things like set theory and group theory and combinatorics. i almost ended up not majoring in my absolute favorite subject because the curriculum for it was so shit and focused on rote memorization of sequences of steps.

>>6760644
those were great when i was in calc sequence. i didn't really enjoy calc sequence and it still gives a bad connotation to the words derivative and integral even though i really enjoy analysis now.

>>6760755
what are you going to go into, political science?
i dunno, i haven't looked at too many stats.
also don't fucking listen to an imageboard for chinese cartoons when making important life decisions like that, do your own research and decide for yourself.

>> No.6761248

Optimism.

>> No.6761266

>>6760755
Not true. There never seem to be enough people for STEM fields and the ones who have those skills are very employable. Trust me, as someone who's terrible at math, I know how much not having those skills can hurt you.

>> No.6761284

>>6760755
in theory yes it is starting to get saturated and you are by no means guaranteed a job but the same is true for pretty much any field except accounting and medicine and there are very good reasons not to want to do either of those, doing STEM is a hell lot more useful than liberal arts or some shit and certainly not any worse than a business degree

>> No.6761344
File: 99 KB, 820x482, Oppa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760052
>>6760058
>>6760095
>>6760156

Econ masterrace here.
>Calc 1-3, stats, linear algebra, linear programming, econometrics, financial mathematics.

Am I STEM enough? I think we do as much math as engineers anyway...

>> No.6761349

>>6760052
>smart
>happy
pick one

>> No.6761364

>>6761349
>be dumb
>have problem
>don't know how to solve because I'm dumb
>be unhappy because problem

>be smart
>have problem
>find a way to solve the problem because smart
>happy again

>> No.6761367

>>6761344
>Calc 1-3
>Linear Algebra
>S T A T S
>Financial Fucking "Mathematics"

Lel

>> No.6761376

>>6760052
>tfw 24 and working in IT for 1.5 non-contiguous years
>tfw I can't see myself managing servers, fixing printers, writing shitty scripts, and fixing user fuck ups for years and years.
>tfw when I was too immature when picking colleges and chose the wrong school (academic wise) and wrong major
>tfw I should have gone the engineering route.
>tfw I can't right now because of debt and just starting out in a new city which means I'm poor
>tfw quarter life crisis

>> No.6761446

>>6761349
>>6760307
>>6760176

I'm kind of tired of the circlejerk of smart versus happy on this site. It more seems like a bunch of lazy millennials who were told they were smart their whole lives with a deemphasis on hard work and self-esteem. It's easy to fall into the trap of pretending you're too smart to be happy, when really it's just a lazy excuse that most likely isn't even true.

Being legitimately happy takes cleverness, discipline, and hard work. Most people are fucking miserable, and being too lazy and not smart enough to figure life out enough to be content is a big factor.

>> No.6761682

>>6760052
don't worry about it Op. this >>6760058
anon hit the nail on the head. i'm a physics major and i feel like i don't belong there. i'm pretty stupid tbh, but i'm just smart enough to be extremely self conscious and critical about myself. it's a curse, my friend. slightly above average is the worst thing to be

>> No.6761719

>>6761446
I'm extremely intelligent and I've had mood swings since I was a teenager. Like at times I'd be really happy, then I'd be really depressed. Most of the time I was depressed, though. I realized that most of my problems were in my head and somehow I had been convincing myself that these were real problems even though most weren't. Has this happened to anyone else?

>> No.6761746
File: 8 KB, 251x251, 1319405786386.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6761367
>>Financial Fucking "Mathematics"
>>LEL

http://web.uvic.ca/calendar2014-09/CDs/MATH/477.html

Oh u mad.

>> No.6761883

>>6760608
Not OP but holy shit,
Thank you based anon for pauls notes.
Also thinkwell. I downloaded them a while back but had yet to start them. I badly need a refresher.
THANKYOU

>> No.6762158

>>6761719
You are me anon.
Never wanted to get diagnosed because I know it would be mild bipolar or something and I dont want/need that kind of weak mindset in my life.

Rise above anon.

>> No.6762164

>>6761344
seems much more maths than engineeringfags

>> No.6762286

>>6761284

>> No.6762291

>>6762164
do you not know what engineers do then?

>> No.6762306

>>6762164
>le ebin jim shuffler
lamina eltylps

>> No.6762319

>>6761364
>be smart
>have problem
>nobody knows how to solve this problem and neither do you
>no conceivable way to solve problem
>x1000
>fuck I wish I was stupid and couldn't think of unsolvable problems

>> No.6762342

>>6760469
>thinks svm is artificial intelligence
>2014

>> No.6762353

>be smart
>be happy
pick one

>> No.6762420

>>6762342
>thinks machine learning isn't artificial intelligence

>> No.6762782

>>6762420
Well, as the Turing test is defined as being "artificial intelligence" : to fool people. Assuming people are smart... lol...

>> No.6763072

>>6760107

>I'm about to publish my proof of the Collatz conjecture

Assuming your not a lying piece of shit, give a little more details please.

>> No.6763101

>>6763072
Of course he's lying.

>> No.6763173

>>6761719
>I'm extremely intelligent and I've had mood swings since I was a teenager. ... Has this happened to anyone else?

Fuck yes! Earth is bipolar, and I am too (thanks ma).

I rely on my hypomanic periods for solving hard problems. These are followed by bouts of depression.

>> No.6763181

I know that feel OP. In Community College and struggling with a combined "College Algebra/Pre-cal class. I'm thinking about switching my major from Computer Science with Engineering Emphasis to Computer Information Systems Emphasis

>> No.6763191

>>6761746
>touches a little bit of probability theory / stochastic processes
>we math now
lel

>> No.6764018
File: 97 KB, 125x289, 1406508700170.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760052
>>tfw shit at math
>>tfw will never be a STEMfag

>tfw these people come to /sci/ and follow the "i fucking love science" facebook page

>> No.6764276

>>6760563

>Where did you move from to and why?

From Canada to Australia

I was on the registered sex offenders list, and lets leave it at that.

>> No.6764334
File: 441 KB, 901x704, 1410736207298.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6760469
I honestly have no clue what I'm looking at. That's a lot of scary looking symbols. Maybe one day.

>> No.6764406
File: 71 KB, 480x380, 1374893819138.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a friend, he just turned 19.

He left high school midway through his senior year because he was about to get expelled for marijuana, and started to do online school. Then he moved to upstate New York (bordering closely to Canada) from Florida to live with his biological father for about a year.

While there he was still enrolled in online school, but neglected to do it. All he did was smoke weed and do odd jobs with his dad.

He is now back in Florida living with his mom and stepdad. He still smoked weed all day and just does lawn work for his stepdad's company.

He seems like one of the happiest, content fuckers i've ever met.
He is dumb, but not retarded. He has intelligence, just doesn't use it.
He seems free, and isn't bogged down by shit and I get envious of that ignorant, blissful happiness.

But then I think about where he'll be down the road, and it doesn't seem like it will be anything positive.
It makes me feel bad and unhappy, but at the same time, put in the hard work and pain now and it will pay off down the road.

I am a freshman majoring in biomed. I am either going to med school or graduate school. Either way, I have a long and strenuous road ahead of me full of stress and work. If I apply myself though, something I rarely did throughout school because I could breeze through with minimal studying and effort and maintain B's, the payoff will be great.

Anyone in a similar situation?
Like, I'm smart and have the capacity to do the work, it's just a matter of me doing it and putting myself up to the task, which seems to be a lacking skill in my generation.

>> No.6764638

>>6764406
You will need a titanic change of character if you plan on surviving med school.
I wish you luck anon, you can do it.

>> No.6765911

>>6764638
Thank you. I'm trying to change. I even took a strategies for success class to help with my shit tier organization and studying skills, but it's just going to have to come from within.
I know how to change, I just need to stop being lazy and do it

>tfw shit attention span thanks to based smart phone overlord

>> No.6765927

>>6760529
sounds hyperbolic to me (infinity at x=0, which i find kinda hard to believe