[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3.92 MB, 320x320, Its time to exercize... My right to eat pizza.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6692047 No.6692047[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Posted this on /adv/ but I figured that you guys might have some better knowledge about this.

Thinking about majoring in Math in college and I have a few questions.

A) What's the level of rigor in a Math Major? I'm assuming that it's harder than business, but easier than most engineering disciplines. Is my assumption correct
B) Will I have time to do other things while majoring in math? I know some engineering students who pretty much live in the library
C) How difficult would it be to get above a 3.6 GPA? This is important because my GPA will either open or close doors to various career paths in the military as I'm also doing ROTC. To be competitive for the fields that I want a shot in, I would need to have a GPA above 3.6 or so. In the military, GPA matters much more than your major.

If anyone could provide some insight, I would appreciate that!

>> No.6692058

As someone who has an engineering degree and a math degree, math is harder. Engineering has a larger workload, but the classes and concepts aren't as difficult as math.

>> No.6692066

>>6692058
Could you explain this a little bit more in depth? I've always heard Math was easier than engineering.

>> No.6692080

>>6692066

It depends on the school, I suppose. In general though, if you understand mathematics then engineering should be easier to pick up instead of an engineering trying to pick up mathematics.

Engineering relies on mathematics to the extent that it provides analytical (in an engineering sense) tools.

>> No.6692083

>>6692066
Who did you hear that from?

>> No.6692087

>>6692080
Well, the school I'm at has both top tier math and engineering programs, so I guess that's about equal. Which major has more reading before you can apply what you've learned to actual problem solving and stuff?

>> No.6692091

>>6692083
I've been browsing some forums on college confidential and I've seen some people say engineering is easier, but a lot more say math is easier.

>> No.6692093

>>6692087

It really depends. First realize that mathematicians solve different problems then engineers. However, seeing as engineering knowledge that is taught is generally very specific, I would engineering is more intensive in that sense.

Mathematics has more rigour though, where rigour in that there is little wiggle room. A proof is a proof, it must prove something to be considered something. Proof A and B that both prove the same theorem have the same power in the sense that they have said the same thing (at least for their end goal...but A and B may not be equal in the visualization/"grokability"/beauty). However, an engineering problem can be solve in multiple ways and some ways take less skill/finesse/intelligence. In that sense, solving problems in engineering can be vastly easier.

>> No.6692107

>>6692093
Hmm. Would you say that math is more structured in how you solve problems?

>> No.6692113

>>6692066
>I've always heard Math was easier than engineering.
lol'd heartily

Here's an analogy
Pure mathematics is like building cars with an engine and everything.
Applied mathematics is like figuring out where you can drive each car.
Engineering is like finding the cheapest, easiest to drive car and then hoping it will get you where you need to go.

>> No.6692114

>>6692107

Once again, it depends. If you are just going to do undergraduate shit, then it will probably be presented in a structured manner. If you want to do math because you enjoy it and plan to research, its not really that structured. You are attempting to create new knowledge and present an impenetrable argument given certain axioms. Your final product should be structured, but the path you took to get there could be not be.

For undergraduate purposes, depending on what you focus on, it could be incredibly structured or (preferably) very exploratory.

It depends on your school and your professors.

>> No.6692128

>>6692114
Hmm, another question then. This will probably also "depend" but I do plan on doing graduate work, after I get out of the military (which could be up to 10 years if I get the job I want). Would you say that graduate mechanical engineering is less frustrating? I do think I would have a hard time trying to come up with new theories and shit if that's what math majors try to do.

>> No.6692136

>>6692128
The purpose of a working mathematician is to prove theorems. If I had to choose, if I had a chance to go back and redo it, I would have done mathematics because thats what I eventually realized I was interested in. I am currently in engineering graduate school and my classes haven't been to frustrating. They take some effort and work, but the most of my frustration has been that I dont really want to be in it. I took the easy way out, because my college had a shitty mathematics department and a decent engineering.

It should be about what you WANT to do, not which is easier. If you want to develop and build new shit, become an engineer. If you want to solve logical puzzles and come up with creative connections, pursue mathematics. Try a bit of both and see which you like. If you like it, it wont be as frustrating than if you don’t.

>> No.6692138

>>6692128
mathfag here, engineer people often come up with new techniques, approaches, shortcuts, and so on. This is because engineers are the ones who actually sit around using all the shit everyone else theorizes about so often times they find clever ways to do things in less time. Sure, it's not as big of a deal as some other stuff but at times it can have some big repercussions and be useful to many people.

>> No.6692139
File: 29 KB, 629x637, rg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. How "hard" it is depends on a lot of factors. I think; however, most people would agree that a math major requires work, but if you love math, then it won't seem like work at all. Also I think engineering is harder than a math major, but again that's relative. (I'm a junior math major, my interests are pure math based)

2. Yes you will. As long as you're not picking around half the time, and you are diligent in your studies you will have time to do other things.

3. I would say if you really work, and you don't slack off..This is obtainable.

The best advice I can give you though is don't major in math if you don't REALLY love it. Don't do it because "it sounds cool' or something like that. If you really love it, the major will be easy.

>> No.6692145

>>6692139
Have you taken any engineering classes?

>> No.6692150

>>6692145

To be honest...Not really. I've just seen what my engineering friends have had to do and I always felt as though they had a tougher work load. Also I don't really care for engineering so much. So yeah...

>> No.6692154

>>6692150
Can you give me a sense of how your time is spent outside of the class room. Is your work to solve problems or read stuff?

>> No.6692163

>>6692154

I would say it's a mix of both (like you might expect in most majors).

On the pure math side you are really just reading the text and trying to understand proofs. This comes with time, and once you get it, it's quite rewarding.

On the more applied side, you might spend time with software like Maple, Mathematica, Sage, etc. You will be working with more numerical problems, and trying to come up with solutions to real world problems through mathematical modeling.

>> No.6692166

the math in engineering is pretty easy. it's the physics side that is what might make it harder than mathematics(at least as in EE)

>> No.6692191

>>6692166
Different guy, but would it be feasible to take engineering if my highest level of physics prior to college was honors level physics? I went to a very good highschool if that matters.