[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 889 KB, 543x608, 1399008606002.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6643976 No.6643976 [Reply] [Original]

If I already know my own european language and english, will my brain have harder to learn a new language? Or will it be as easy as learning english?
I wanna learn french. Will it feel as natural as my current 2 languages if I give it time?

>> No.6643980

Are you fucking kidding me?

>> No.6644029
File: 107 KB, 872x476, Funny-monkey-in-huge-testicles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6643980

It serious

I mean the more languages you learn, shouldn't it be harder to keep track on everything?

Anyone hear who speaks 3 or more languages?

>> No.6644046

Might want to hammer down your English first.
At least French is fuck easy to learn, as long as you aren't coming from Czech or Polish or something.

>> No.6644192
File: 829 KB, 150x250, 1398029046782.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm from Poland and for me French is illogical and fucked up as hell, i can't say a word ,and i spend three years learning this shit in school.

>> No.6644222

>>6644192
Why do you want to learn it, anyway? France is just a loose association of trust fund communists and neonazis anyway. Although I see how you could get excited about such travel destinations as the DRC and Haiti.

>> No.6644227

>>6644029
>I mean the more languages you learn, shouldn't it be harder to keep track on everything?

No, because it's not an entirely new skill, it's just changing the details in a skill you already have (language). You might occasionally get some words mixed up between languages, but this is more than balanced out by being easier to learn in the first place.

People who speak 4+ languages have told me that each one is easier to learn than the last.

>> No.6644272

>>6644227
This. I'm a native speaker of English and French (a dying breed down here in Louisiana,) and if I don't use one for a long period of time, I might slip up a few words. It doesn't mean that I can't keep track of it- it's not like I'm going to forget a native language that I still use with regularity, it's just two ways of doing the same thing- communicating.
There's not a risk of it getting harder every time because there's not a finite "language volume" that you can handle, you might forget vocabulary words, but you forget those in your L1 too.
Gotta say I have no clue why you'd want to learn French anymore, but bon courage nonetheless.

>> No.6644337

>>6644222
one of the languages spoken in UN.
get a qt smoking, pole-sucking french whore
move to quebec

>>6644192
srsly why?
give examples.

>> No.6644381

>>6643976 First, english has lots and lots of stuff borrowed from french (or from latin and its just in french also lol) Second, learning method:
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7669389/Pimsleur_French_I__II__III__with_written_material_included and then https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8360052/Pimsleur_French_IV_(Plus)
Pimsleur is the awesomest method of learning, it's based on spaced repetition, you might check out http://ankisrs.net/ too
And third, cześć xD

>> No.6644516

>>6644227
>People who speak 4+ languages have told me that each one is easier to learn than the last.
This.

I speak Greek (native), English, German and French.
I learned French last, and I was able to get a B2 certificate in 2 years, not too intensive, while I was simultaneously learning German and also had school.

Everything gets easier as you add languages.

Greek grammar helped me with German grammar (very similar, though German felt more simplified).
English vocabulary + Greek/German grammar made French a breeze.

And French vocab. + grammar is gonna make Italian even easier. Etc. .

Things change if you move to another family of languages, like arabic or chinese etc., but that's a different thing.

>> No.6644611

>>6644029
If anything it gets easier, otherwise linguistics would be an extremely exclusive club.

>> No.6645560
File: 475 KB, 1500x1550, IndoEuropeanTree.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

⇒will my brain have harder to learn a new language?
It will in fact be easier. If you already know some Indo-European languages, then learning a new language of the same family will be facilitated by quickly recognizing the similarities.

⇒Will it feel as natural as my current 2 languages if I give it time?
Every language, irregardless of which language famility it comes from, will become natural after speaking it long enough.

>>6644029
⇒Anyone hear who speaks 3 or more languages?
*here
I speak 5 languages and I'm on my way to learn more.

>> No.6645599

>>6645560
How long does it usually take you to learn a new one?

>> No.6645611

>>6645599
Depends on how much time I can invest. If I only get to study the language for two hours per week, of course it will take longer. This way I'd probably need a year for what I could also do in two or three weeks of full-time studying.

>> No.6645682

No, given the same environment as you learnt english in you wont nearly as difficult.
The hardest thing will be immersing yourself in the language.
You will find it hard if you try studying it for 2 hours per day or join a beginners class.

>> No.6645816

>>6645560
Greek seems even older than I thought.
Almost like an archetype that for a weird reason is still alive.

Would you recommend learning it?
Do you have any experience with it?

>> No.6646130

>>6645816
⇒Would you recommend learning it?
⇒Do you have any experience with it?

I studied ancient Greek on my own during high school. It's a fun exercise to play with grammar and to explore the etymological origins of many words. Knowing the aorist was especially helpful when I later learned about perfective/imperfective aspects in slavic languages. However I would recommend against learning ancient Greek, unless you're deeply into ancient cultures or comparative linguistics. From a practical point of view a dead language is useless. That's why I forgot a lot of it after not using it for several years.

>> No.6646236

>>6646130
I don't necessarily agree.

Ancient Greek is divided in two main periods, the "archaic" one (1000bc up to 500-400bc, Homer's work as well as some philosophers' and drama writers' works are written in that language).

And the hellenistic one (~300bc and later, this period coincides with Alexander the Great's times and conquests, which spread that version of the language around the Mediterranean, and is the reason why it's called "koine", which translates to "common" Greek).

I'm telling you all this, because if you study modern Greek (which is a living language of course), you have very easy access with minimal effort to "hellenistic" Greek, and with a bit more effort to ancient, archaic Greek.

The ties were never broke and there's continuity from archaic Greek to modern. So many words, grammar rules, vocabulary is identical or very similar (both phonetically and in spelling) between these "stages" of the language, and especially between modern and hellenistic.
Many philosophers' work, as well as historians' and mathematicians' was written in hellenistic. The first version of the bible as well.
It's a nice feeling being able to read from the prototypes.

Also, modern greek being a living language also carries a usability/practicality factor, apart from the interest/fascination of a studying a very old and different language.

>> No.6646935

>>6646236
This.