[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 410 KB, 1247x1600, 1391545928496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6610799 No.6610799[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I've got lucky, and landed myself a paid undergraduate summer placement in a very prestigious genetics lab. Beyond showing up on time etc, how do I make a good impression?

>> No.6610803

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!!?!?!?!?!?!1?1/1?1/1/1/1/1

>> No.6610808

Dress for success
Dressing, nicely, always gives a good impression. Whether it be Italian, Ranch or something more exotic like Bleu Cheese; they'll be sure like love it when you pour it down the back of their pants. It's a genetics joke, they'll understand.

>> No.6610809

>research the lab and know the SOPs
>learn from your mistakes, learn in general
>don't be weird. People don't like working with weird people
>don't lie, don't backdate your book

>> No.6610812

as an undergrad? by not fucking up

take notes on EVERYTHING

keep your lab notebook tidy

read the lab's papers

set up a pubmed automated digest search and have it email you whenever new papers come out, but don't really expect to get a lot out of them

stay the fuck off your computer and phone during work hours, if you need to use a computer use a work computer and do not even think about logging onto anything not immediately work related

>> No.6610813

>>6610809
>don't backdate your book

Not OP, but what does that mean?

>> No.6610818

>>6610812
also, you WILL fuck up. you'll waste reagents, you'll waste time, you'll switch samples

but don't lie, don't make up data, and be absolutely honest even if it means admitting you fucked up

also, remember that the most expensive reagent in a laboratory is the salary of its employess. everything else pales in comparison. don't waste people's time

>> No.6610827

>>6610812
>>6610818
Thanks, this is really solid advice.

>> No.6610830

Understand exactly what your lab does and what techniques they use. Try and gain an understanding of the theory behind it, as generally they're not going to give you shit if you don't know how to do it in practice; especially given the variants of instruments in all different labs.

Really get to know the grad students and your lab manager, as you'll see them a LOT more than the PI. If you haven't gotten much previous experience, they're likely to put you on something more mundane. If you finish early get to know what the grad students are doing and offer to help. But only AFTER you've done what you're supposed to do.

>> No.6610875

>>6610830
Thanks. I've also been told (by my personal tutor) that there's a good chance they'll ask me back to do a PhD if I impress. Has anyone here got onto a program via this route?

>> No.6611207

>>6610875
It's less about asking you back for a PhD and more about getting funding. If you impress and really help in their research, a lab asking for a certain applicant more or less (depending on the institution) fast tracks you in. A grad student in the lab I did ugrad research last fall basically was accepted the moment he put in his application because the PI he did research for while in ugrad specifically asked for him, and had funding to pay for him.

>> No.6611245

>>6610875
that's a good offer, but trust me, don't commit to it for a while or trust that offer's always going to be there in case you want to take them up on it

the right lab for you should be one where you enjoy the work but also enjoy the people you're working with and the lab environment. going into a prestigious lab that's going to work you to the bone and is filled with people you can't stand (not saying it's that way in your case, just speaking generally) is a recipe for burning out and hating life or quitting the program

keep your ears open, pay attention to lab/department gossip, check and see their history of accepting/graduating students, their funding situation

this is a business negotiation, not just an academic offer. grad school isn't just more school, it's an apprenticeship, and you don't want to put yourself in a shitty situation