[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 252 KB, 308x398, michilol.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6587081 No.6587081[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How good is good enough for a maths degree at a good uni?
Do you have to be the best in the class or is being in the to 5 of the year enough?
I'd originally been angling for physics but since I like the theoretical/abstract side more, I was wondering if a maths degree would be better - though I may be less competitive if I choose that.
I only got an A at GCSE, but an A* at A level is realistic this year, as is an A in further maths.
So, what does it take to cut the mustard?

>> No.6587084

(pic unrelated)

>> No.6587133

bump

I need this knowledge

>> No.6587252

Read a math textbook and find out.

>> No.6587269

>>6587252
What kind of maths textbook?

>> No.6587450

If you can do STEP/MAT then yeah, do it.

>> No.6587456

>>6587269
get an intro to abstract algebra and an intro to real analysis

this is first yr university maths and very different from A level

>> No.6587461

>>6587081
>A* at A level is realistic this year, as is an A in further maths.
Plenty good for maths degree.

Be prepared for it to be a different kind of subject though. A couple of further maths areas give you a flavour of it though.

hemndn

>> No.6587473

A* A in maths/further is more than good enough to not have much trouble at a good uni doing maths, you'll be fine, anon, as long as you're prepared to do some work

>> No.6587478

>>6587456
I'm pretty sure the local library will have something similar, so I will check this out.
>>6587461
Yeah I imagine it will be worlds different; at least, I hope so. Someone I know did maths at Newcastle and it put him right off; he said it was like school all over again. That surprised me especially since Newcastle is supposed to be decent.

>> No.6587483

>>6587478
>I'm pretty sure the local library will have something similar, so I will check this out.
You can buy Elements of Abstract Algebra for about 3 quid on amazon.

>> No.6587484

I think being good at maths is 95% hard work.
If you are stupid as a sack of wet loaf, but have seen a lot of proofs and sat down to figure out strategies on finding proofs for hours every day for a few years, you'll surpass any "prodigy" that just spends most of their time dicking around in a matter of years. If you are smart and work hard, you can be very succesfull. Also try to surround yourself with groups of people in wich you are in the lower 30% in terms of knowledge, you'll feel stupid, but learn a lot faster.

>> No.6587485

>>6587473
That's reassuring. I just wonder if I have the 'flair' though; for example in the UKMT challenge I've mainly achieved bronze certificates, with silver one year. Most applicants (I would have thought) would have had silver most years. However, my teacher thinks I could do it but probably not at Oxbridge (kind of gutting because I might have a shot at Oxford for physics.. c'est la vie).
If I do well in MAT past papers, is Oxford worth a shot?

>> No.6587494

>>6587483
Well then. Not bad!
>>6587484
>surround yourself with groups of people in which you are in the lower 30% in terms of knowledge
I know what you mean - I'm the only person in my class who just as an A at GCSE, and I was really.nervous to start off with, and was determined to prove myself. I can't believe I've got better than some of them (at least in terms of grades). Being surrounded by intelligent people is definitely a motivator to do well. My maths teacher also doubted me to start off with! And now he says I could do maths - I doubt this would have happened if I hadn't taken FM; I wouldn't have been as motivated.