[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 599x600, Luffy_picks_his_nose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6559153 No.6559153[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>Feels like shit
>Dropped out of school
>NEET for the last >5 years
>Realization
>Starting Community College this Fall
>Want to study Maths & Econ

Realistically, do I have time in <2 months to catch up studying on my own and a take Trigonometry class on my first semester?

>> No.6559160

for trig?

yea you should be fine, just be consistent in studying.

>> No.6559241

>>6559153
remember
sin(0°) = 0
sin(30°)= 0.5
sin(45°)= 1/√2
sin(60°)= √3/2
sin(90°)= 1 =
sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ)=1
⌈cos(θ) -sin(θ)⌉⌈cos(ϕ)⌉=⌈cos(ϕ+θ)⌉
⌊sin(θ) +cos(θ)⌋⌊sin(ϕ)⌋=⌊sin(ϕ+θ)⌋
exp(i*θ)=cos(θ)+i*sin(θ) => 2cos(θ)=exp(i*θ)+exp(-i*θ)

and get an A

>> No.6559246

>>6559241
<span class="math"> \sin 0 = \frac{\sqrt{0}}{2} [/spoiler]
<span class="math"> \sin 30 = \frac{\sqrt{1}}{2} [/spoiler]
<span class="math"> \sin 45 = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} [/spoiler]
<span class="math"> \sin 60 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/spoiler]
<span class="math"> \sin 90 = \frac{\sqrt{4}}{2} [/spoiler]

>> No.6559248

>Realistically, do I have time in <2 months to catch up studying on my own and a take Trigonometry class on my first semester?
Yes, for sure. I recommend learning from books and maybe supplementing with online videos.
I keep recommending people Algebra by Gelfand because I think it is good.

>> No.6559249

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra2
then
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/trigonometry

>> No.6559261

>>6559246
wait how the fuck did I not see this until now omg

>> No.6559294

>>6559153

I would say probably not, I'm going to assume you didn't make it far in math.

You'll need a VERY strong base in algebra to succeed in anything higher. Do your best in studying and take whatever placement you get from the test. If you're serious about school starting a few classes behind wont be a big deal.

>> No.6559435

OP here.
Thank you all, for your reaffirmation and encouragement. It does really motivate me to keep going to the library these days to study.

>>6559294
You're right. Despite of remembering that I even took Calc1, honestly, I don't even know now how did I pass trigonometry at the time. I recognize the symbols but I can't figure how to work them out now. At least there's still some notion.

Although, what I'm most afraid right now is my rusty Algebra. I don't know if I can make it on time to take the placement test and get into Trig as my first Math course.
I agree that there's nothing wrong by starting from scratch ( CC at 25 says it all ), however I've been researching on the Math&Econ programs and they require all the higher math courses available at the CC and as far as I've been looking I won't make it on time to transfer if I don't start on Trig.

>Anxious anon is anxious.

>> No.6559442

if trig in any way concerns you, math may not be for you

I blew thru college algebra and trig (actually I shouldn't have taken them since I tested out but I was scared to go straight to Cal) and I even took a couple Cal classes in high school but Cal I in college still busted my ass.
I got a C. And just barely

Just something so different and abstract about it. I dunno.
I didn't ever really grasp it til later engineering classes where we put the stuff into action and it finally clicked.

>> No.6559445
File: 92 KB, 1103x483, sticky.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You'll have no chance. You can't even read.

>> No.6559459

>>6559435
Which country do you live in? And what do you want to achieve from this?

These are important things you are missing.

>>6559153
>Realistically, do I have time in <2 months to catch up studying on my own and a take Trigonometry class on my first semester?
This is dependent on how much background knowledge you have and how intelligent you are (did you drop out because it was too hard or too boring or some other reason?)

>> No.6559460

>>6559442
What concerns me is whether I'm able to pull it off on time for when I take the assessment test and get right off to Trig. Since from Trig, all the classes start to be sequential and they only offer them once every semester –as 18-week courses.

I've been checking and starting from less than Trig, wouldn't be enough even when taking summer.
It's been long and can't really tell if a short self-study remedial Algebra would be enough.

>> No.6559469

>>6559460

good luck man

I took algebra and trig in the same semester at my junior college
that wouldn't be an option there?

>> No.6559490

>>6559246

>sqrt(4)/2

u bein silly !

>> No.6559492

>>6559459
>Which country do you live in?
US, California

>And what do you want to achieve from this?
Right now, start this fall on no less than Trig class. In the long run, eventually transfer to Econ, Math,or CS. I like all those things and see them working together in Big Data, for example.

>drop out reason?
Didn't have my shit together. Now more stable and after idling for a long time, I am prepared to take my pragmatism back.
From grade 12 I was on a technical program towards the construction field. A year before getting into Arch school, liked and focused more on the newly discovered Art&Design side of things, technical stuff became boring –not challenging enough.
Dropped out and had a early existential crisis, dabbling on my own on Linguistics, Art history, computers & internet related stuff (barely know programming but I know a little of sys admin).
>Story of my life

>> No.6559504

>>6559469
Thanks anon

Nope, I've checked on the schedule from Fall, Spring and Summer, and they don't offer two sequential classes on a semester beyond Trig (they do for Algebra).
That's why I'm a bit anxious now because I'd like to do things right and finish all the requirements before transfer, hopefully.

>> No.6559579

>>6559445
>autism