[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 59 KB, 420x323, 0001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6508772 No.6508772[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/,

You may think this is a thinly veiled /adv/ thread (which it is) but always around this time people ask "How do I study?" well, I am going to post my study schedule and I want some reviews of the people here. Firstly, exams are next week, and I've been "kinda" studying-- mostly looking over notes and old lectures to get my brain into it. My exams start Monday, then I have another one on Wednesday/Thursday of next week, and then I'm done. So here it goes:

-Today: 5pm;
-Study 1hr discrete math: review old lectures and do the slide questions in them. Review the homework and make sure that I understand the material and can duplicate it based on understanding.
-Study 45 min Biology: just going over old lecture slides and re-taking notes on them.
-Study 1 hr programming shit: just programming shit, re-do in-class activities and takes notes on the slides.
-Attend review session
-Study another hour of discrete math doing the same technique.
-Study 30 minutes of biology and then head to room to relax/play video games.

-Tomorrow: 10am, breakfast, find an empty classroom (the library has gone to shit recently)
-Study 2 hrs discrete math (same technique)
-Study 1 hr bio
-Study 1 hr programming shit
-Lunch break
-Study 2 hrs discrete math
-Study 1 hr bio
-Study 1 hr programming shit
-Dinner
-Study 2 hours of discrete math
-Head to dorm to do some R&R

that's basically how it is for the next few days. I'm doing practice exams the day before the exams to make sure I get some practice. review what I missed. Day of I'll just review notes and try not to think about the exam too much.

THoughts? Questions? Opinions?

Looking forward to hearing all of it.

>> No.6510402

Bump

>> No.6510445

Personally, I find revising to a time schedule unhelpful. Obviously it's satisfying to think 'Wow, I've done 7 hours of work today', but I tend to organise my revision by 'I want to get through X many lectures today', because then I've gone through a certain number of related topics rather than, potentially, stopping in the middle of something to 'keep on schedule'. If that takes me less time than I think, I can always do a few more lectures.

Also, and I understand this will depend on how your exams are spaced and the nature of your subjects, but I prefer to go through a WHOLE subject by itself, and then do the next whole subject, rather than revise a few hours of each thing a day. I find that really helps me integrate all the related concepts within a module. But that will depend, so for example at the moment I'm doing a little bit of anatomy each day, because that's pretty much a memory test, while concurrently going through my WHOLE cancer module, to really understand that.

I also think you should probably take more short breaks, but I have quite a short attention span when it comes to studying so maybe that's just me. If nothing else get up and step outside for five minutes every 1-2 hours, you'll feel better for it.

A final point which isn't really to do with schedules, but I find immensely helpful to my rate of learning, is to really integrate revision into your life. Don't just 'switch off' the second you're done for the day. You should try to continue to test yourself and think about your subject on your time off. It's not very stressful, and keeps everything fresh in your mind. If you find yourself asking 'hey, what ARE the side-effects of typical neuroleptics' or 'let's see if I can still remember the branches of the external carotid artery' while just cooking dinner, or on the bus, and then you look up the answer if you don't remember... God everything is so much easier.

Anyway, good luck with your exams

>> No.6511386

>>6510445
The reason for the schedule was to make sure I actually did it. Every final I've taken so far is a rush the night before to actually study. So I'm trying to rectify that. And I do make sure I stop at logical points. If I'm 2 hours in and the next lecture is the "logical conclusion" to the ones after it then I'll do them. I appreciate the advice though!

And I'm using Pomodoro so I take a break every 25-35 minutes.

And depression has sadly reduced my knowledge of subjects. I used to try and find where I can apply my new found knowledge everywhere, but I can't with these classes. I'm hopefully going to be better next semester, so we shall see. I appreciate the advice dude!!

>> No.6511399

>>6510445

This. I guess it's personal opinion, but I never set timed goals for myself. I create a schedule based on what I need to do, not how long I want to do it. If I get done in 2 hours, awesome. If it takes me 7 or 8 hours, okay. Focus more on what you accomplish rather than when you accomplish it. To me, it's easier to prevent procrastination when you outline exactly what you need to go through rather than how long without worrying about time, because then you can be sure to get through everything and not say "oh man, I really wasted my time but spending too long on this subject" and it makes your schedule easier to flex if things don't go the way you plan. I've always made my schedules based on this thinking, and it's worked great for me (about to graduate top of my class with chemistry BS). Everybody is different though

>> No.6511478

>>6510445
I agree. If I have an "aha!" moment and suddenly blow through a chapter I had thought would take quite some time I fail to see the point in analyzing it for another hour unless I have nothing else productive to do.

Likewise, if you don't get something then you shouldn't stop just because you spent x hours studying.

>> No.6511545

>>6508772
>studying
sub 140 I.Q plebian detected

>> No.6511550

>>6508772
stop procrastinating by doing vaguely related things (like making a "study schedule"), and instead do some study.

>> No.6511557

>>6508772
>You may think this is a thinly veiled /adv/ thread (which it is)
>>>/adv/