[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 250 KB, 660x480, mri.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6507036 No.6507036 [Reply] [Original]

Alright I'm sick and tired of all this consciousness bullshit and can't understand why any non-retards would believe the stoner shit regularly posted on here

So I ask for a simple survey directed at the /sci/ userbase to settle this once and for all

- What do you actually think consciousness is?
- What is your IQ?

I initially had the impression that this was one of the intelligent boards but let's see if it holds up I guess

>> No.6507049

>>6507036

I dont know what conscience is or have any real ideas but I do imagine its quite possible that its not physical, I know we know its not physical, but its just that its so mysterious and we really know very very little about the brain let alone our consciences. Its just too far out there to even consider what it could be in any real sense.

IQ 109, tested in February of this year. It was my first IQ test. (I was under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time of the test I shit you not)

>> No.6507145

>>6507036
overt processing

>> No.6507177

No idea. ~140.

>> No.6507218

>>6507036

stop the retarded dualist trolling

part of the reason they got so excited over research into electricity (over 200 years ago) was that they thought it was a way to show the 'soul' is physical

Consciousness is the quality or state of self-awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself.

>> No.6507232

an umbrella term,

>> No.6507241

>>6507036
As a self-proclaimed non-retard, what do you think of the hard problem of consciousness?

>> No.6507729

How awake you are (think about it)

>> No.6507733

a dualistic entity

>> No.6507736

quantum information
-1/12

>> No.6507739

Don't know.

Don't know.

>> No.6507740

*you're

>> No.6507813

>>6507036
The state or condition of being conscious.

IQ: Demonstrated.

>fun fact: people have higher IQs when they're paid to take the test; it's not a measure of intelligence but a measure of effort and efficiency

>> No.6507828 [DELETED] 

>I'm sick and tired of this consciousness bullshit
>so I'm going to post a consciousness thread
>also what is your IQ because that's totally relevant

Strong trolling OP. Sage in all fields but I'm not sure it'll do anything here.

>> No.6509012

sentience

>> No.6509041

What do you actually think consciousness is?

It's what non autistic people get too experience during their existence which is not actions determined purely by emotionless mathematical interactions...

qualia.. emotions... love... fulfilment... family

What is your IQ?

non-autistic (conscious)

>> No.6509050

>>6507036
>- What do you actually think consciousness is?
According to /sci/ it doesn't exist, even as a concept.
>- What is your IQ?
Given that I'm a poster here. it should be like 80 or so.

>> No.6509052

Psychologically, it's the ability to be aware of yourself and your environment. There's really no disputing this.

My IQ is roughly 135, but if you were actually intelligent/had any understanding of psychology and/or neuroscience, then you'd know that IQ does not have to do with the relevance or correctness of thoughts

>> No.6509091

>>6509052

>Psychologically, it's the ability to be aware of yourself and your environment. There's really no disputing this.

of course there's no disputing that, it's just some semantic objective definition.

OP's queery is purposed to disambiguate that ability into something mechanical, maybe something a bit less arbitrary and a bit more mathematical.

describing how a ball is thrown and where it lands is different than calculating it's mass and determining it's trajectory
you just said it's a fuzzy green tennis ball and when you threw it, it landed over there somewhere.

I completely agree with your second statement though, the IQ test in general does far far more damage than it does good.
In fact, I would go so far as to say the IQ test is the single most detrimental piece of data in society today, right next to the bible. It disposes far too many capable minds to extraordinarily inaccurate limitations and designates much of man's resources to people a tenth as capable as our presumptions lead us to think they are.

>> No.6509092

Consciousness is abstract just as our thoughts are but they are created by very real very physical processes in our brains. Consciousness is the state of being aware of our own existence and of the existence of other objects and life forms in our surroundings.

IQ: Don't know but I imagine it's too high for normal tests to accurately determine.