[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.67 MB, 3334x2223, Artist’s_impression_of_the_huge_outflow_ejected_from_the_quasar_SDSS_J1106+1939.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6505134 No.6505134 [Reply] [Original]

I am scared of all this shit I know but will never understand. I am scared of the universe ending when everything spreads so far away that the universe becomes cold and dies. Supermassive black holes freaks me out. The universe accelerating freaks me out. The Eons that have passed freaks me out. The short time that Humans have wiped their asses freaks me out.

I don't want to learn about things that I have no control over. I can't change anything, I can't fix it.

Are you Physicist just a different breed? I am a good engineering student I could go into Physics but I won't. Too freaky.

am I just being a little bitch?

>> No.6505135

Worrying about things out of your control is a waste of time when you can worry about things you CAN control. Good luck

>> No.6505136

>>6505134
Lol but why? I'm not a physicist but I find all of what you mentioned fascinating.

>> No.6505139 [DELETED] 
File: 632 KB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche187a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history" — yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.
One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened.

Follow that up with

>If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.

There, you're cured.

>> No.6505140
File: 632 KB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche187a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history" — yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.
>One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have happened.

Follow that up with

>If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.

There, you're cured.

>> No.6505142

You just can't get your shit together eh? You come to this world and imagine your body belongs to you, you are afraid of death because you think you are the center of all attention. But you are a part of nature, which comes and goes. One day you'll be gone and yet the universe will still be around. But curiosity is intrinsic to human beings: we know that we will most likely ultimately fail in our quest for knowledge (due to computer power limit, age necessary to reach the borders of knowledge which is constantly increasing, ecc), and yet we engage into this game just out of respect and curiosity for the mature; I imagine, however, that they don't teach you that at the engineering school you've gone to. Based on my modest experience, you engineers are all apes, full of arrogance towards Philosophy and Mathematics and yet almost always inferior in terms of 'global education' and the ability to think globally as well as analytically.

A physicist

>> No.6505147
File: 410 KB, 1000x1000, a1813882303_10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6505134 http://tympanikaudio.bandcamp.com/track/stay-with-the-familiar

>> No.6505510

>>6505134

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it'snotfor the timid."

To boldly go I suppose...

>> No.6505521

>>6505134
>I am scared of the universe
but anon, you are the universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

>> No.6505529

>>6505140
Which book is that from?

>> No.6505560

>>6505134
I don't think it comes to any of us right away OP.

All of us have made the decision to seek truth regardless of what we want, or how we feel. Because that's the right thing to do.

We weren't expecting beauty, just truth, no matter how terrifying.
and so should you OP. I'll never understand someone who can consciously decide to _not_ learn the truth because they prefer their delusions, and I would have no respect for such a person either.

There are no promises. Science killed a lot of my dreams, it shows how a lot of things are not possible, it showed me how insignificant I am, how everything "wondrous" in the world can be reduced to often the very mundane..

However, eventually you start to realize that this is infinitely more beautiful than anything you thought you knew before. Reality is unforgiving, it isn't going to change, it's _you_ who has to change your way of thinking to fit reality, and it takes time. But it's definitely worth it.
The only thing I've never been able to completely get past is the fact that I'm going to die one day, and this whole amazing universe is going to be gone. But, that's reality and we have to accept it, it's not always beautiful, we're probably very lucky that we have the capacity to find true beauty in it to begin with

>> No.6505568

>>6505142
#R - E - K - T

>> No.6505808

>>6505142
yeah that is the thing about being human. we are all apes by default. we also live incredibly short lives. and most of the terrible stuff that happens on a cosmic scale takes millions of years. so dont let this guy or the terror of space get to you op - we will all be dead long before space gets us.